• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I wonder where I got the middle school kid thing from; maybe it was from a scan? Or it was someone's mistranslation.

From the discussion above, it seems the consensus is that it could go either way. Perhaps slightly leaning more towards the possibility of it remaining 20XX.

I'm pretty sure the middle school answer flashes for a second before the video game answer comes on. So both are accurate.

Davilmar

Ultimately, the P4A games were meant to be good fighting games first and foremost (which is why the primary developer on the titles was ASW), and they succeeded at that.

Of course, that goes without saying. This is someone who plays games like Tekken, Street Fighter, Def Jam, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, etc. I never expect incredibly detailed stories from any fighting game, but I at least expected a little bit more effort from Atlus. I felt as if there was a missed opportunity, and the story in P4A was so lacking that it almost felt as if they didn't try. Which is a shame, given their talent.

T-Rex.

Banned
I dunno if it's possible to answer this without spoiling anything, but I'm just about to beat Persona 4 (true ending first, and then Golden ending after) and is it ever explained just what the velvet room actually is or do I need to play the other games to understand?

FluxWaveZ

I dunno if it's possible to answer this without spoiling anything, but I'm just about to beat Persona 4 (true ending first, and then Golden ending after) and is it ever explained just what the velvet room actually is or do I need to play the other games to understand?

You'd need to play Persona 2: Innocent Sin the most to understand (maybe P1, but it doesn't really get into it much from what I remember), but it's supposed to be a somewhat nebulous element throughout all games that is fitted specifically around the respective Persona game.

Setsu00

Of course, that goes without saying. This is someone who plays games like Tekken, Street Fighter, Def Jam, Mortal Kombat, Injustice, etc. I never expect incredibly detailed stories from any fighting game, but I at least expected a little bit more effort from Atlus. I felt as if there was a missed opportunity, and the story in P4A was so lacking that it almost felt as if they didn't try. Which is a shame, given their talent.

The real tragedy behind Ultimax is not the actual story, but how much unrealized narrative potential the game had.

Sophia

You'd need to play Persona 2: Innocent Sin the most to understand (maybe P1, but it doesn't really get into it much from what I remember), but it's supposed to be a somewhat nebulous element throughout all games that is fitted specifically around the respective Persona game.

They drop little hints and bits as to the nature of the Velvet Room across every game, but yeah I think the two halves of Persona 2 have the biggest explanation of it.

Major spoilers for every game:
The Velvet Room sits on the edge of consciousness, right between the individual's consciousness and the collective unconsciousness of humanity. If Philemon represents the positive aspects of humanity's unconscious nature, then the Velvet Room (which is filled with his servants) is an extension of that. While the primary gameplay purpose of the room in game is to assist people who can handle multiple Personas, we frequently see it tasked with other stuff too. In Eternal Punishment, we see Igor assisting with those infected by the Joker curse. In Persona 3 FES, we see that Metis, a shadow, originated from what is essentially the collective unconsciousness. In Persona 4 Golden, Marie also from there resided in the care of the Velvet Room. Igor himself is likewise a being given life by his master, and explicitly notes the similarities between him and Aigis. Likewise, the room itself appears to people who specifically have a destiny relating to the fate of humanity and living beings, especially from Persona 3 onward.

They drop little hints and bits as to the nature of the Velvet Room across every game, but yeah I think the two halves of Persona 2 have the biggest explanation of it.

The Velvet Room sits on the edge of consciousness, right between the individual's consciousness and the collective unconsciousness of humanity. If Philemon represents the positive aspects of humanity's unconscious nature, then the Velvet Room (which is filled with his servants) is an extension of that. While the primary gameplay purpose of the room in game is to assist people who can handle multiple Personas, we frequently see it tasked with other stuff too. In Eternal Punishment, we see Igor assisting with those infected by the Joker curse. In Persona 3 FES, we see that Metis, a shadow, originated from what is essentially the collective unconsciousness. In Persona 4 Golden, Marie also from there resided in the care of the Velvet Room. Igor himself is likewise a being given life by his master, and explicitly notes the similarities between him and Aigis. Likewise, the room itself appears to people who specifically have a destiny relating to the fate of humanity and living beings, especially from Persona 3 onward.

P3 spoilers:
In addition, doesn't Elizabeth send you looking for people suffering from Apathy Syndrome in FES? I never completed those quests, so I don't know if the velvet room's further involved in that particular thing.

Sophia

P3 spoilers:
In addition, doesn't Elizabeth send you looking for people suffering from Apathy Syndrome in FES? I never completed those quests, so I don't know if the velvet room's further involved in that particular thing.

Massive P3 spoilers, including information from the club book:
According to the club book, the collective unconsciousness is essentially one big network of information designed to counter Nyx's influence. Likewise, Apathy Syndrome victims are people who have basically been robbed of the inner psyche due to their shadow. The Velvet Room, due to it's nature, is pretty much another mechanism against Nyx. So it's no surprise that Elizabeth would have a request like that.

With the spinoff games, the magazine scoops were mostly revealing new characters, but that's also the kind of thing I'd have expected them to save for the next big event.

Makes me wonder if we're going to be getting weekly updates from now on too then. Aside from just retailer bonuses.

Actually, since E3 will be more focused on the western audience, my guess is that they reveal Crow here for the Japanese audience, and then we get the trailer as follow up at E3.

"and explicitly notes the similarities between him and Aigis"

Huh, i don't remember this. Mind pointing me where it is?

It's also possible that there's something in Famitsu next week. Whilst P5 news has been simultaneous so far, that's been due to following up events. With a lot of the spinoff news, famitsu got the scoops a week before Dengeki.

Sophia

"and explicitly notes the similarities between him and Aigis"

Huh, i don't remember this. Mind pointing me where it is?

https://youtu.be/xe2og1Rltac?t=21m04s

"Ah... a very rare guest indeed.... Are you a simulacrum, or in fact human...? *chuckle* It seems your destiny is similar to mine."

I believe it was stated that the velvet room in P5
is a prison in the protagonist's mind

Fits in with existing details regarding the Velvet Room at any rate. It's not on a normal plane of existence. Although I think people could see the door to it in P1/P2 where as they couldn't in P3/P4....? Something like that.

https://youtu.be/xe2og1Rltac?t=21m04s

"Ah... a very rare guest indeed.... Are you a simulacrum, or in fact human...? *chuckle* It seems your destiny is similar to mine."

Fits in with existing details regarding the Velvet Room at any rate. It's not on a normal plane of existence. Although I think people could see the door to it in P1/P2 where as they couldn't in P3/P4....? Something like that.

Truly inspired (artistic/weird/outcast) people could see the door to the Velvet Room in P1 and the P2 games. It didn't really matter if you had completed the Persona game. But almost none of those people dared enter it or even try.

_Ryo_

I hope they detail the cooperation system in the new Dengeki. I mean, by all accounts this 9th party member is seemingly meant to be mysterious so it'll be strange to cover that, it'd also be strange if there isn't anything else if they do cover that.

My guess is they will detail part time jobs, sidequests, mini games and cooperation, as those are all things they can show without spoiling anything from the story.

We will get a new 5minute dubbed English trailer and NA release date at E3

I hope they detail the cooperation system in the new Dengeki. I mean, by all accounts this 9th party member is seemingly meant to be mysterious so it'll be strange to cover that, it'd also be strange if there isn't anything else if they do cover that.

My guess is they will detail part time jobs, sidequests, mini games and cooperation, as those are all things they can show without spoiling anything from the story.

Well, whatever they reveal, I'll probably be hyped.

There's plenty of stuff to talk about wrt the battle system. Like, we've gleaned a lot from the 5/5 footage, but they still have to, like, explain it in detail.

Nachos

I'm really curious to know how P5's media's going to be handled at E3. Pre-cut trailers lack the action and presence of a live demo, so I don't see many venues allotting more than three minutes, tops. Maybe they could tack 2–3 minutes on top of that if they demo a dungeon, but I think the only way the fans are going to have a meaty trailer is if one gets posted through YouTube.

Jintor

I'm really curious to know how P5's media's going to be handled at E3. Pre-cut trailers lack the action and presence of a live demo, so I don't see many venues allotting more than three minutes, tops. Maybe they could tack 2–3 minutes on top of that if they demo a dungeon, but I think the only way the fans are going to have a meaty trailer is if one gets posted through YouTube.

persona 5 got that styyyyyyyyyyyle though

Davilmar

The real tragedy behind Ultimax is not the actual story, but how much unrealized narrative potential the game had.

I completely agree with that. Even given the brief time that Flux spent on his own narrative writing, even something close to that would have been a great way to expand the narrative storytelling of Persona and have a good fighting game. There was an opportunity, and it felt like they just didn't give a damn.

_Ryo_

Sometimes HD and extended trailers are released after the stream via youtube. I'm not sure but I think they did that with Ni no Kuni 2.

Plus, since it is releasing in Japan in a few months, they might be having an off stage demo that details a dungeon and other such hands on such, possibly interviews with P. STUDIO as well.

I might be expecting too nuch for E3 but if you think about it, September isn't that far away, it's a little over 3 months, so I think it makes sense to really ramp up marketing.

Setsu00

I completely agree with that. Even given the brief time that Flux spent on his own narrative writing, even something close to that would have been a great way to expand the narrative storytelling of Persona and have a good fighting game. There was an opportunity, and it felt like they just didn't give a damn.

I am almost completely sure that they tripped over their own plan of releasing four games within one year. Ultimax had such a great setup after all the foreshadowing in Arena 1.
I know that bringing back Nyarlathotep is a controversial concept within the fanbase, but it would have made for a much more intriguing villain than his knock-off Kagutsuchi. Sophia already pointed out that the Shadow selves were mostly underused, especially Narukami's. Instead, they decided to shoehorn Adachi in.

It's even more depressing when you look at Soejima's sketches for PQ and Ultimax and you start to realize that they probably had a plan that would have connected Arena, PQ and Ultimax.

I am almost completely sure that they tripped over their own plan of releasing four games within one year. Ultimax had such a great setup after all the foreshadowing in Arena 1.
I know that bringing back Nyarlathotep is a controversial concept within the fanbase, but it would have made for a much more intriguing villain than his knock-off Kagutsuchi. Sophia already pointed out that the Shadow selves were mostly underused, especially Narukami's. Instead, they decided to shoehorn Adachi in.

It's even more depressing when you look at Soejima's sketches for PQ and Ultimax and you start to realize that they probably had a plan that would have connected Arena, PQ and Ultimax.

To be honest, I find it kind of strange to consider
Adachi 'shoehorned in' cause in my honest opinion, he was the best part of the story, with the possible exception of Shadow Labrys.

Setsu00

To be honest, I find it kind of strange to consider
Adachi 'shoehorned in' cause in my honest opinion, he was the best part of the story, with the possible exception of Shadow Labrys.

I totally respect that.
It's just that Adachi's involvement comes out of nowhere and that kind of bugs me, but I may also simply be bitter about Ultimax turned out.

Sophia

In regards to Ultimax, I don't really have any issue with
Adachi's involvement. He's one of the better realized parts of story mode. The only thing I could potentially take issue with is that they missed out on a Narukami vs Adachi rematch. Oh, I guess the fusing Personas thing at the end there was kind of weird too, but that had more to do with it being a static portrait.

I totally respect that.
It's just that Adachi's involvement comes out of nowhere and that kind of bugs me, but I may also simply be bitter about Ultimax turned out.

I hear ya, man.
Adachi's like a scoop of ice cream on top of an eggplant pie; good on its own, but clashes with the overall meal and does nothing to improve it in the end.

In regards to Ultimax, I don't really have any issue with
Adachi's involvement. He's one of the better realized parts of story mode. The only thing I could potentially take issue with is that they missed out on a Narukami vs Adachi rematch. Oh, I guess the fusing Personas thing at the end there was kind of weird too, but that had more to do with it being a static portrait.

"Let's describe this epic image of both Izzys fusing into a giant sword to smite the big bad! That won't feel like the audience is missing something at all!"
:p

Ultimax's ending outright pissed me off though, even if i genuinely enjoyed the rest of it.

Honestly, it shouldn't have been a P4 game. It should have been a spinoff without having one game tied to it by title. Instead, the story is obligated to favor Yu at the true ending when the whole game is about Labrys overcoming her horrible memories and wanting people to understand her pain. It should have ended with Labrys overcoming her hardships and showing Kagutsuchi the power of her newfound bonds. The whole game is based around Labrys, yet the ending says otherwise.

Zolo

Ultimax's ending outright pissed me off though, even if i genuinely enjoyed the rest of it.

Honestly, it shouldn't have been a P4 game. It should have been a spinoff without having one game tied to it by title. Instead, the story is obligated to favor Yu at the true ending when the whole game is about Labrys overcoming her horrible memories and wanting people to understand her pain. It should have ended with Labrys overcoming her hardships and showing Kagutsuchi the power of her newfound bonds. The whole game is based around Labrys, yet the ending says otherwise.

Don't worry. Now we just wait until Yu gets sidelined by P5 protagonist. We've already had Morgana take out Teddie on Twitter.

Top Bottom