• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

To add to characters staying themselves, despite player influence. Both Vivienne and Sera from Inquisition stayed pretty much the same, and any choices that might push them towards personal growth only resulted in loss of approval.

Granted, a lot of people, including myself, didn't like them that much for a number of reasons.
Then Trespasser came out and Sera had a spurt of offscreen development brought on by nothing more than the passage of time, and other characters started to lose respect for Vivienne (as they should), especially if she becomes a 'tyrant'.

lol, that's exactly what Inquisition was. It's a BioWare cliche at this point.

Considering their last hero was a glorified janitor who didn't go over well, can you blame them?

For what it's worth, I think each Dragon Age game is better at it than the ME series. The ME series basically had the cast praising Shepard as the one true savior who is the only one who could save the galaxy.

lol, that's exactly what Inquisition was. It's a BioWare cliche at this point.

Dantis

It is a problem though because one of the things about dumping development in the social links is that you don't get to see the cast really interact with *each other* quite as much. It's why I adored a few of the extras in Golden like you occasionally running into other cast members hanging out with one another (and not you) in the supermarket every once in a while, and you'd inevitably decide to leave them be.

Obviously they get a lot of time hanging out in the main story (and side stuff like the school festival or camp or whatever) but those, are, like... i dunno. different to just chillin'.

Probably my favourite skit of those is Kanji and Yukiko casually discussing hairstyle products.

Yeah. I just really appreciate the smaller interactions in general. It's where some of the games most realistic characterisation comes out.

Squire

Banned
DA:O is definitely a cut above most Bioware games in that regard. Your protagonist is hot shit™ , but the characters don't really worship you. It's pretty much impossible to make decisions that please everyone, and there are decisions that can legitimately make certain characters leave your party.

Every DA does that. The MCs in the sequels are more interesting though, I think. Grey Warden is a tad vanilla.

For what it's worth, I think each Dragon Age game is better at it than the ME series. The ME series basically had the cast praising Shepard as the one true savior who is the only one who could save the galaxy.

Definitely.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Aigis as Mercy from Overwatch

d68RopG.jpg

source

Maybe they will shorten the MAX Social Link to 7 or something. Anything less than 10 would be nice.

That would be great.I find the social link system really exhausting in some ways as it is now and a revamp would be amazing.5 would even be fine if the S.link characters ed up being as irrelevant as many in 3/4 are.

Dantis

I think the romance aspects of S Links are the ones that could do with the most adjustment. It feels kind of throw away in Persona 3 and 4.

It would be nice, I guess, if it was something that was acknowledged throughout the year.
I think, because Persona is so focused on relationships (from a design standpoint), that it doesn't make sense to hit an 'end' point. It should feel natural, rather than the end goal of "We're dating now and we went as far as you want the ambiguous end point to have gone".

cj_iwakura

Will anything be going down for the Persona 20th anniversary here? I guess everyone will be too busy with P5 for there to be time for any replaying, and I replay the old games fairly often anyway(still on my third play of IS).

Will anything be going down for the Persona 20th anniversary here? I guess everyone will be too busy with P5 for there to be time for any replaying, and I replay the old games fairly often anyway(still on my third play of IS).

Edit: utterly misunderstood the post, disregard

A few pages back someone suggested a book club like community replay of the past games leading up to the release of P5. Play up to a certain point each week and have a discussion about it. That seemed like a nice idea.

Lunar15

I've actually been thinking about "Co-Operation", which is our best guess at this game's Social Link.

If you think about the themes of the game that we've seen so far, it's all about getting people to believe in the Phantom Thieves. There's even a little gauge in the bottom of the calendar screen that shows how much the city is buying into the idea of a vigilante stealing the hearts of "bad" people. It's a game about changing minds, activating people, motivating to do something. It's similar to a lot of the social media movements you see springing up everywhere.

Co-Operation, to me, sounds like a more personal form of that. Getting specific people to fight for your cause. It's been thrown around a few times, but some people suggested that co-operation might affect the things like shopkeepers and weapon makers. But it probably comes at the cost of helping them to shake their own problems in life. Getting them to fight against some kind of oppressor. This would make sense for your party members as well, as you're basically just increasing their willingness to fight for the cause and to have your back. The only thing would be that this sounds really manipulative more than it sounds genuinely helpful, so I'm interested to see what the actual form of this concept is.

Zolo

I dunno, I mean, did P4 ever mention bonds? That seems to be almost exclusively (over)used in the spinoffs.

Eh....they did, but it was much more subtle. Like
Adachi talking about how he may have turned out differently if he hadn't isolated himself and Teddie talking about how you'll are connected no matter how far apart.
I can't remember if there's a time when they used it in an actual 'powers' sense like the spinoffs do even if you do get power from bonds for leveling up Personas.

Eh....they did, but it was much more subtle. Like
Adachi talking about how he may have turned out differently if he hadn't isolated himself and Teddie talking about how you'll are connected no matter how far apart.
I can't remember if there's a time when they used it in an actual 'powers' sense like the spinoffs do even if you do get power from bonds for leveling up Personas.

Even then
bonds weren't mentioned. Adachi framed it as what his life might have been if he had been more like Yu. Yu has the option to explain the difference as having his friends, but Adachi shrugs it off.

Though I do think bonds were mentioned at least once
in the s-link montage at the end of the Izanami fight.

Dantis

Anyone want to make any bets on who they think will be at E3 this year from P-Studio (if anyone)?

It would be neat if Hashino was there.

Maybe a rhythm game with tracks from 3, 4 and 5 after P5 is out? For some reason, I'm not sure I see them revisiting P3 alone, especially after P5 is out.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
Even then
bonds weren't mentioned. Adachi framed it as what his life might have been if he had been more like Yu. Yu has the option to explain the difference as having his friends, but Adachi shrugs it off.

Though I do think bonds were mentioned at least once
in the s-link montage at the end of the Izanami fight.

Also, I don't think in the ending Teddie uses the word bonds, but I thought his speech at the end was a little too heavy handed.

Top Bottom