• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

FluxWaveZ

The thing that keeps being pointed out is that this is basically the first Atlus game ever which has consistently been at the top spots of Western media outlet "top anticipated" lists for years now. Big names like IGN, Game Trailers, GameSpot, etc. We've got people like Greg Miller telling Erin Fitzgerald, more than a year ago, how he thought that P5 was poised to take the Western audience in a huge way if it's promoted accordingly because of how much the awareness of the series has grown. And it has, obviously, even if we just consider enthusiasts, because Persona was niche even among that group just a few years ago, when now it's a known name.

But those who have been the most enthusiastic for the promise of seeing more of the game outside of Japan are also those—I feel—who've been getting burnt the most because of their optimism. It's not a good feeling.

We'll tune into the Japanese-centric Persona 5 stream at E3 to get our new content of the game, just like we have been doing since its announcement, and I guess it's what we'll continue to do in the foreseeable future.

Lunar15

The thing that keeps being pointed out is that this is basically the first Atlus game ever which has consistently been at the top spots of Western media outlet "top anticipated" lists for years now. Big names like IGN, Game Trailers, GameSpot, etc. We've got people like Greg Miller telling Erin Fitzgerald, more than a year ago, how he thought that P5 was poised to take the Western audience in a huge way if it's promoted accordingly because of how much the awareness of the series has grown. And it has, obviously, even if we just consider enthusiasts, because Persona was niche even among that group just a few years ago, when now it's a known name.

But those who have been the most enthusiastic for the promise of seeing more of the game outside of Japan are also those—I feel—who've been getting burnt the most because of their optimism. It's not a good feeling.

We'll tune into the Japanese-centric Persona 5 stream at E3 to get our new content of the game, just like we have been doing since its announcement, and I guess it's what we'll continue to do in the foreseeable future.

Totally get the feeling. That's what made the 2017 announcement so rough: when they announced september in japan, it felt like there was a huge sense of relief from Atlus. It felt like they made it, they stuck to a date. But then for the US then to have to go back on their date of 2016 and push into 2017 just really felt like there was no consideration as to when it was going to come out over here.

PK Gaming

This.

More than anything, my strong feelings of displeasure comes from the fact that I want to see the series succeed. To strike big in the global market and become a big brand. Persona 5 was the perfect game for that. It's just a shame AtlusJP doesn't seem interested in making that happen.

Like i'm sure word of mouth will go a long way when P5 comes out, but this could have been the perfect head start. Oh well.

Lunar15

I wonder if any of it stems from the fact that, while there's a decent sized fanbase over here, it's not really like in japan where they can milk it for merchandise, tv shows, and other media. We really don't buy into the secondary market as much, nor can they promote that stuff over here as much.

Anyway, I know y'all disagree, but I think the biggest hype killer is releasing it in February. I know it would have been swallowed up in the fall, but I can't help feeling that February is kind of a black hole for niche releases in terms of breaking into the mainstream. Hopefully it will have legs.

I don't know though, I just never saw P5 as a big mainstream game. We're real into it, but it's just not *that* big game, even if game journalists love it. Conceptually, the pitch is just too out there.

PK Gaming

The worst part about P5inFebruary is that I was hoping to have that game tide me over until... everything. NX, Etrian Odyssey 5. Now what am I going to do?!

0H26EK2.gif

Lunar15

For what it's worth, I still think SCEA leaving out Gravity Rush 2 was an even greater error. Made no sense to leave that out. Would have been real refreshing.

FluxWaveZ

I don't know if anyone was waiting for it here, but that Game Informer "preview" was simply a translation of the latest Famitsu news on the game. Literally nothing new in the article.

Lunar15

Yeah, once we knew it was coming out before the Atlus stream, it was a sure bet to be a rehash.

Still cool to get it in there, though!

Mediking

This is pretty much why I'm not even in this thread as much anymore. The delay to February 2017 really hurt my hype. I'm reluctant to talk about the game and even see anything about the game now. I'm still getting it day one but my hype for Persona 5 has got punched.

I wonder if any of it stems from the fact that, while there's a decent sized fanbase over here, it's not really like in japan where they can milk it for merchandise, tv shows, and other media. We really don't buy into the secondary market as much, nor can they promote that stuff over here as much.

I've always kinda wondered if another reason for their neglect of the west is a matter of profit margins. The NA version of P5 costs 60 USD on PS4. The JP version costs 83 USD on PS4 (or 73 USD with its discount on amazon.jp right now. So already, each copy sold in Japan is worth at least 20% more, and that's not even considering the localization costs that have to go into the NA version. With a niche game like Persona, that still hasover 50% of its sales come from Japan alone, the rest of the world doesn't really have the volume argument to make up this margin gap. So, to me anyway, it seems that the NA version is more work for less return. In that light, I can at least understand why Atlus JP does what they do.

Granted, there's a lot of flaws with my logic. For one, it's probably a gross over-simplification for video game revenue. For another, the West is still a much bigger potential market than Japan, so with the proper marketing, maybe that revenue gap could be made up with sheer sales numbers (in theory at least).

Zolo

You know, I know it's still a big spoiler that should be kept spoilered, but it practically feels at 'Aerith dies' level now.

Setsu00

That last screen is basically demon negotiation.

"Give me strength"

"Give me something"

Noooooo.

Edit: Belphegor is called "Filthy Devil" in that screenshot.
It's actually interesting that Belphegor appears as a normal enemy despite his association with the Seven Deadly Sins.

_Ryo_

So no new trailer or English trailer at all. WTF is Atlus/Sony doing?

Why even come to LA E3 if you're not gonna show anything new to the audience you are broadcasting to? I mean, there is a stream tomorrow and it is on niconico so most likely its gonna be all in Japanese. Why come to E3 again ?
Ugh.

So no new trailer or English trailer at all. WTF is Atlus/Sony doing?

Why even come to LA E3 if you're not gonna show anything new to the audience you are broadcasting to? I mean, there is a stream tomorrow and it is on niconico so most likely its gonna be all in Japanese. Why come to E3 again ?
Ugh.

E3 is more than just the press conferences, and they will have presence on the show floor.

Look on the bright side, it had a better showing during the press conferences than Final Fantasy XV

Belphegor says something along the lines of "Just forgive me [for attacking you]". Maybe it triggers when the enemy is on low health or after an All Out Attack.

If that was the case, I could see it being impossible, or hard, to fail.

No menu option to trigger negotiation though.

Could be a context sensitive thing or something.

Would be cool to have negotations, really curious to know how this works. If there's no menu option it's probably triggered when demons are low on health like in some other SMT games where demons might beg you to spare them. But if you're going to introduce that, why not go all out and give us the option to negotiate? Weird.

_Ryo_

Is Famitsu only going to cover the one more level system and battlr system? Or is that for the preview and the full issue will cover more?

Personally I have seen enough of battle systems and dungeons. I don't need to know more about them. They need to preview the mini games, locations, and cooperation. All things they can preview without spoiling the story...

Setsu00

Is Famitsu only going to cover the one more level system and battlr system? Or is that for the preview and the full issue will cover more?

Personally I have seen enough of battle systems and dungeons. I don't need to know more about them. They need to preview the mini games, locations, and cooperation. All things they can preview without spoiling the story...

The wording suggests that there will be more than that, yes.

If that was the case, I could see it being impossible, or hard, to fail.

Looking at those options ("Give me strength", "Give me something"), that doesn't seem to be that unlikely.

PK Gaming

Gecoma

This is pretty much why I'm not even in this thread as much anymore. The delay to February 2017 really hurt my hype. I'm reluctant to talk about the game and even see anything about the game now. I'm still getting it day one but my hype for Persona 5 has got punched.

Same. Except I've been like that since the TGS delay. & I even expected that one. Did not expect February this time though & now I'm just more sad.

It says press triangle for an All Out Attack, so it looks like it's triggered by All Out Attack conditions and you can cancel negotiations if you want and just do an All Out Attack instead.

FluxWaveZ

Not a fan of negotiation myself, but I guess we'll have to see how it's implemented here. Can't believe it's actually making a return to Persona.

It says press triangle for an All Out Attack, so it looks like it's triggered by All Out Attack conditions and you can cancel negotiations if you want and just do an All Out Attack instead.

There was a similar image featuring Ganesha in the past. I wonder if there's actually any option for the enemy to reject a proposal or if they'll immediately accept anything since you've gained the upper hand.

It... might just be a Pokemon-style situation: Get an enemy down to low HP, set up an all out attack, and then you're given the option of making them give you their Persona card ("Give me strength") or making them give you an item (maybe a way to get guaranteed loot for crafting or the inevitable terrible quest board stuff that plagues all JRPGs?)

jonjonaug

It... might just be a Pokemon-style situation: Get an enemy down to low HP, set up an all out attack, and then you're given the option of making them give you their Persona card ("Give me strength") or making them give you an item (maybe a way to get guaranteed loot for crafting or the inevitable terrible quest board stuff that plagues all JRPGs?)

That would be a pretty neat implementation that adds another way to encourage smart combat.

Sophia

My response to negotiations in Persona 5

jacknicholsonrwkyu.gif

I really hope they're like how Turnip describes them tho. Especially if they're in place of an All-Out-Attack.

All negotiation has to do is emulate any other interpretation that isn't P1/P2 and it'd be infinitely more tolerable.

Contact is more reliable than negotiation, I think. Ulala's fortune telling will always interest an Archangel, for instance. Negotiation is more random.

I really don't know what the ideal form of contact or negotiation would be though.

Top Bottom