• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

ClArlGPUsAApv8y.jpg

The signed Soejima art

Makio

I know Atlus usa guys are very busy fellas but is kinda sad this fanmade trailer is more localized than the official one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZyRLdDh7EQ

I kinda down , less i was expecting to is get the PV01 E3 trailer japanese footage deal again but oh well , at least those delicious 9 minutes of gameplay make for it.

And yeah that "Beauty Thief" cant end up in the localization....

Sophia

I know Atlus usa guys are very busy fellas but is kinda sad this fanmade trailer is more localized than the official one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZyRLdDh7EQ

I kinda down , less i was expecting to is get the PV01 E3 trailer japanese footage deal again but oh well , at least those delicious 9 minutes of gameplay make for it.

And yeah that "Beauty Thief" cant end up in the localization....

I think you're using the term "localized" a bit incorrectly here.

Having compared Atlus's official translation with Mystic's own translation, it appears that Atlus took a more liberal approach to the dialogue. This isn't necessarily something that's "wrong" so to speak. Rather it simply reflects translation choices, and Atlus's trailer is more akin to how the final dub will appear. I imagine their translation is somewhat rushed, but whoever translated it probably had access to more context to the game's script than the fan translators did. In regards to the "Beauty Thief" line, the translator seems to have implied that it is a title, rather than merely a descriptor. I won't speculate further on it outside of spoiler tags tho.

I haven't compared the Wyte Song subs yet, but here's a few other comparisons I did between Mystic's and Atlus's own.

"Now that I'm thinking about it, our group has grown a lot" in Mystic's version vs "Dude, I think we've found new teammates!" in the Atlus E3 version.

"If you're looking for treasure, you fools best go home" in Mystic's version vs "If you came for the Treasure, you should just go home with your tail between your legs."in the Atlus E3 version.

Makio

Despite that is funny how the fans translations vs atlus totally changed the lines about Makoto , i remember the fans translations talked about her being a student council president and her notes and the official subs end up being something about getting a written reference for a nasty job or something.

And maybe you are right with the Beauty Thief thing , pretty sure if they dub that line like that i maybe say nothing about it ... but since i was too familiar with the fans translations some lines really fell odd.

But yeah the more i read those subs more it seems is like a script for the dub than a literal translation.

Sophia

Despite that is funny how the fans translations vs atlus totally changed the lines about Makoto , i remember the fans translations talked about her being a student council president and her notes and the official subs end up being something about getting a written reference for a nasty job or something.

And maybe you are right with the Beauty Thief thing , pretty sure if they dub that line like that i maybe say nothing about it ... but since i was too familiar with the fans translations some lines really fell odd.

But yeah the more i read those subs more it seems is like a script for the dub than a literal translation.

Again, it's a context issue. The term "seitokaicho" (Student Council President) does appear in the dialogue, you can hear it clear as day, but everyone translated that scene differently. This makes me think the "annoying job" probably refers to it, but without context we'd be merely speculating.

Also, the Wyte Song translation you linked actually refers to "Beautiful Thief" as a title too. I have no idea if they'll keep "Beauty Thief" in the final dub, but I'm sure that whoever decided upon that had a reason for doing so.

Remember that translating and localizing is as much of an art as it is a science. While obviously there can be errors, a lot of it is a matter of preference too.

Nachos

The whole thing's weird. You get localized turns of phrases like "snowball's chance in hell" that pretty much no fan subber would use and constructions like "that a bright future lies ahead of you" – which is such a Japanese/anime way of saying things – in the same sentence. Then you get things like a casual usage of "must" instead of something like "need to," some grammatically-incorrect bits like that "erased" line that mixes conditional moods, and all the beauty thief stuff. You can also see bits and pieces from the Japanese release date that weren't edited out of the date animation:

It feels like they were rushed to make the trailer but didn't have a good feel for the context or character attitudes, so they didn't want to commit to localizations that might give a wrong impression of what's really being said.

Having compared Atlus's official translation with Mystic's own translation, it appears that Atlus took a more liberal approach to the dialogue.

The thing is, I don't think it's liberal enough. You don't have people going around saying "My name is Doctor" or "My name is Madam," because by themselves, they aren't names. If the intent is for Haru to seem weird, calling yourself a Glamorous/Refined/Elegant Thief is pretty weird in itself.

Strimei

Again, it's a context issue. The term "seitokaicho" (Student Council President) does appear in the dialogue, you can hear it clear as day, but everyone translated that scene differently. This makes me think the "annoying job" probably refers to it, but without context we'd be merely speculating.

I definitely assumed the "annoying job" was the student council president. I mean, I'd imagine many other people, most of the group included, would view such a position as annoying. I mean hell, I viewed the whole student govt stuff as annoying when I was a student (god it makes me feel old to say that), and I have to imagine such a position is a lot less involved over here in the west than it is in Japan.

As for Beauty Thief, please people, you really think that's going to go through like that? Have some faith.

Sophia

The thing is, I don't think it's liberal enough. You don't have people going around saying "My name is Doctor" or "My name is Madam," because by themselves, they aren't names. If the intent is for Haru to seem weird, calling yourself a Glamorous/Refined/Elegant Thief is pretty weird in itself.

The dialogue from that one fly antagonist is... interesting to say the least. They translated the stock phrase "Don't make me laugh", but then followed it up with the hilarious "I feed on dumbshits like you."

I actually kind of like that line compared to the fan translations. XD

But yeah, it's weirdly liberal in some areas, and not so in others. I think it was done pretty quickly for E3 too, but that's to be expected and not really criticism.

Guess Who

Banned
There's really no context in which translating "bishoujo kaitou" as "Beauty Thief" works. "Beauty Thief" means you are a thief that steals beauty, "Beautiful Thief" means you are a thief that is beautiful, and "bishoujo" means "beautiful girl," not "the concept of beauty." The implication is Haru is the "beautiful girl."

I guess it could work if Haru's hella gay and likes stealing beautiful girls.

Also, I feel like I saw at least one fan translation that also used "snowball's chance in hell" for the Beelzebub-dude's dialogue.

Since Shuffle Time doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, maybe the Minor Arcana will be used for groups of Personas again.

Also, I compiled all the P2 card designs from the MegaTen wiki onto a sheet because I wanted them in one place and I didn't see a gallery.

Ru7LTtD.png

I'm certain that "Hold Up!" is P5's mechanic to replace all of that.

Yeah, that's what I mean. The Minor Arcana appeared in Shuffle Time in P3 and P4, but now they'll either be absent or recontextualized. They represented groups of Personas in the P2 duo, Budai being a Wand Persona, for example.

I'll be honest: Y'all are way to hung up on "Beauty Thief", a term that:
  • likely only appear in that one scene
  • likely be changed for the actual north american release
  • wouldn't get a second glance if she had said BYU-TI SHI-FU

Setsu00

Yeah, that's what I mean. The Minor Arcana appeared in Shuffle Time in P3 and P4, but now they'll either be absent or recontextualized. They represented groups of Personas in the P2 duo, Budai being a Wand Persona, for example.

While that would be interesting, I doubt that this is the case. Persona 5 apparently uses 22 Arcana according to their website and unless they completely overhauled the S.Link system to have no effect on fusion (which would pretty much clash with modern Persona's philosophy), I don't see them re-introducing Wand Personas.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, the new version does have the protagonist look too plain compared to the energy depicted by the other characters in that screen. Wonder what the reason was for the change.

Akechi is pretty much what I expected, and what a lot of other people did too. I'd talked before about how one of Hashino's inspirations for Persona 5 was "The Fiend With Twenty Faces":
When 1930s Tokyo is threatened by a master thief who claims he can take on any disguise and stymie any matter of law enforcement, the people of the city have nowhere else to turn but Japan’s greatest detective, Akechi Kogorō. Unfortunately for Tokyo, however, Akechi Kogorō is off on overseas business, so it becomes the job of his 12-year old assistant, Kobayashi Yoshio, to track down the thief and desperately keep him at bay until his mentor returns.

Wait a sec.
Akechi Kogorō

Edit: Ah... I see, "Kogoro Akechi" is like a Japanese Sherlock Holmes. I had no idea. I wonder if that's actually his name or if it's a pseudonym, then...

I already knew this from seeing him in the PVs, but with his CG art and portraits out I can with no hesitation confirm that Munehisa Iwai is upsettingly hot and bar none the most attractive character in P5.

Lunar15

Also, for a game that is supposed to be all about "waifu dating", as people like to say, I did like that the first three social links they've shown were all adults.

Guess Who

Banned
Also, for a game that is supposed to be all about "waifu dating", as people like to say, I did like that the first three social links they've shown were all adults.

The Persona games being about "waifu dating" is almost entirely a creation of the series's detractors. Four trailers and a bunch of magazine previews and now gameplay demos and the only "waifu dating" they've shown is like 2-3 Famitsu screenshots.

Yeah, the new version does have the protagonist look too plain compared to the energy depicted by the other characters in that screen. Wonder what the reason was for the change.

Akechi is pretty much what I expected, and what a lot of other people did too. I'd talked before about how one of Hashino's inspirations for Persona 5 was "The Fiend With Twenty Faces":

Wait a sec.

Edit: Ah... I see, "Kogoro Akechi" is like a Japanese Sherlock Holmes. I had no idea. I wonder if that's actually his name or if it's a pseudonym, then...

I was wondering that too...

Maybe there is an effort to move away from that shit. Maybe, just maybe with the change in the "social" aspect of the game they've pushed it to the back burner. Which is where it should have always been. Hell,
it should have never made it to the damn kitchen...
but I digress.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe there is an effort to move away from that shit. Maybe, just maybe with the change in the "social" aspect of the game they've pushed it to the back burner. Which is where it should have always been. Hell,
but I digress.

It was an optional part of Persona 4 and P3P (Female route). You never had to date anyone.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds rather reductive to the series. But who am I too judge what fetish everyone entertains, what's an emotional story about dealing with Alzheimer to me might very well be just another waifu to someone else.

Theodoricos

but I digress.

Except the social aspect is part of the appeal for the series for a lot of people who became fans post-P3, so I hope they don't.

FluxWaveZ

Except the social aspect is part of the appeal for the series for a lot of people who became fans post-P3, so I hope they don't.

There's still room for differences in the social dynamic, which is what I believe they're saying. From the sound of what's being said about "Cooperations," they'll be thematically distinct from what "Social Links" were.

Sophia

I already knew this from seeing him in the PVs, but with his CG art and portraits out I can with no hesitation confirm that Munehisa Iwai is upsettingly hot and bar none the most attractive character in P5.

The dude is hot, as to be expected for someone based off Jason Statham. <3

It was an optional part of Persona 4 and P3P (Female route). You never had to date anyone.

It was so tightly integrated into the Persona system in P3 you almost had to engage in it. P4, granted, allowed for a lot more grinding in the dungeons which mitigated such foolishness and P3P... I never bothered with because I'd already purchased the game twice before, also visual novel aspect was bleh.

If they separate it further from the Persona summoning and gameplay mechanics I'll be happy that I can stop being everyone's personal sycophant.

It was so tightly integrated into the Persona system in P3 you almost had to engage in it. P4, granted, allowed for a lot more grinding in the dungeons which mitigated such foolishness and P3P... I never bothered with because I'd already purchased the game twice before, also visual novel aspect was bleh.

If they separate it further from the Persona summoning and gameplay mechanics I'll be happy that I can stop being everyone's personal sycophant.
are you trying to equate "waifu dating" with the entire social link system.

are you trying to equate "waifu dating" with the entire social link system.

It all runs together for me. 90% of these characters are boring tropes that I've seen before in some other form of media. Even if the MC is not dating them, they're kinda dating them. Tying it to the Persona system made it joyless for me. So if it moves away from that I'll be happy.

Everyone needs to understand that just because I don't like the social aspect systems doesn't mean that I don't like Persona or that my opinion is going to influence the direction of the game. I will bitch and moan and back up what I say about the things I don't like though because this is an open forum where discussion is encouraged and promoted. I'm not attacking anyone here. I'm simply voicing my displeasure with the current system which I feel really should be scrapped so more energy can go to other places.

So, uh...
Protag seems to be living with Mr. Sakura...Protag's description says he's living with a family friend who owns the cafe. And if Mr. Sakura is related to Futaba, that's what the whole 'connected to the protagonist' thing is

Top Bottom