• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Lunar15

The Persona games being about "waifu dating" is almost entirely a creation of the series's detractors. Four trailers and a bunch of magazine previews and now gameplay demos and the only "waifu dating" they've shown is like 2-3 Famitsu screenshots.

Maybe there is an effort to move away from that shit. Maybe, just maybe with the change in the "social" aspect of the game they've pushed it to the back burner. Which is where it should have always been. Hell,
it should have never made it to the damn kitchen...
but I digress.

Sounds rather reductive to the series. But who am I too judge what fetish everyone entertains, what's an emotional story about dealing with Alzheimer to me might very well be just another waifu to someone else.

Persona 4 and 3 had plenty of social links that were adults. The game has almost never been about dating, and honestly was even LESS about dating in 4 than it was in 3. But yeah, that's what detractors like to say, and I was poking fun about that. Showing off the adult social links first is a good way to show that social links are about making connections, learning about people - something that people who haven't played these games don't know.

barybll

Banned
Persona 4 and 3 had plenty of social links that were adults. The game has almost never been about dating, and honestly was even LESS about dating in 4 than it was in 3. But yeah, that's what detractors like to say, and I was poking fun about that. Showing off the adult social links first is a good way to show that social links are about making connections, learning about people - something that people who haven't played these games don't know.

I have this feeling that atlus became self-aware of the waifu culture around p4 and is trying to capitalize on that while maintaining things on check to not go full pandering like neptunia or dead or alive....okay maybe neptunia always had pandering , so dead or alive

PK Gaming

It all runs together for me. 90% of these characters are boring tropes that I've seen before in some other form of media. Even if the MC is not dating them, they're kinda dating them. Tying it to the Persona system made it joyless for me. So if it moves away from that I'll be happy.

Man, that's a super cynical and myopic viewpoint you got there. I strongly disagree though. Some of the social links were cliched, but all of them were worth experiencing at least once since there isn't an equivalent experience in gaming. Like, I'll always cherish specific months in both P3 and P4 fondly because of the social links I may have completed during that time frame (ie: Yosuke during the summer, Kou during September, etc).

And to be honest the "I had to grind out slinks for personas" argument is total bullshit. You gain so many ranks by playing passively, you'd have to be intentionally sandbagging to seriously need the bonus EXP.

Lunar15

I have this feeling that atlus became self-aware of the waifu culture around p4 and is trying to capitalize on that while maintaining things on check to not go full pandering like neptunia or dead or alive....okay maybe neptunia always had pandering , so dead or alive

Eh, my point is that the older games didn't always focus on it either. This game will still have dating and pandering bits too. It's just nice that they didn't show those things first.

If you've played the games, you know that a lot of the social links have nothing to do with pandering.

Something kinda interesting happened; the JP voice actor for Sojiro Sakura, Jouji Nakata, tweeted about his role in P5 using a link from Persona Central. This in turn got retweeted by the JP Persona PR account.

You made it big Flux :p

FluxWaveZ

Something kinda interesting happened; the JP voice actor for Sojiro Sakura, Jouji Nakata, tweeted about his role in P5 using a link from Persona Central. This in turn got retweeted by the JP Persona PR account.

You made it big Flux :p

Haha, oh wow. I had seen Jouji Nakata's original tweet, but I missed that @p_kouhou itself RT'd it. Another weird thing in that vein is that the official Epoch website page for Towa Tei's "Heartbeat, Heartbreak" P4D remix links to Persona Central.

It's... nice. Makes me feel like all the (really) hard work's actually worth it.

I'm pretty LTTP for this...

The Persona games being about "waifu dating" is almost entirely a creation of the series's detractors. Four trailers and a bunch of magazine previews and now gameplay demos and the only "waifu dating" they've shown is like 2-3 Famitsu screenshots.
I'll be fair. Persona 3 had like 5(?) "date" options and the rest were regular friendship social links. The best social link was Sun by the way. And Persona 4 had like 7 dating options. It's a pretty pandering game series, as much as I love this series, I have to admit.

Persona 5 should have female social links (or whatever new method) without any dating. Just being friends is also something that happens in real life. (as they do for male social links, but I still have hope for a homosexual one. Would be an immense step forward for the series.)

Edit: Sorry for DP, on mobile.

_Ryo_

Rewatching the Day to Night footage, I think I can understand why SLinks are called cooperation now. Well, if that running bit with Ryuji is related to Slinks, that is. It seems thst you take an active role in bonding, and you might even have SLink specific missions.

And similarly the jobs system has gotten an overhaul as well. As evidenced by the flora shop segment. You actually have to participate in selling the flora to NPCs, it seems. Kinda reminds me of Shenmue's job system.

Also there is a job at a konbini (convenience store) named 777. I am unsure how to pronounce it though. Is it Seven Hundred and Seventy Seven? Seven Seven Seven? Just "Seven"? Triple Seven? Nana Nana Nana? Nana hyaku nana juu nana? 

Yep. I am thinking waaaay to hard about it.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
On the whole dating bit:

I will agree that dating is a small part of P3 and P4. However, there is some pandering in P4 that I really hate, and that's the whole main character worship Yu has going on with everyone.

I know P5 will be a silent protagonist and us as the player are supposed to project our image into him, but can we please give him some flaws and not be worshiped by every single character? That would be nice.

you mean like the option that was there for every female social link in persona 4

No, I think they mean SLs that lack said option entirely, kind of like a reverse of P3. Cus in P4 all of the girls fall in love with you anyway, you just have the option to turn them down. I think completely unromancable girls, think Junpei in P3P minus the shitty subplot, would be refreshing.

kboyrulez12345

Neo Member
No, I think they mean SLs that lack said option entirely, kind of like a reverse of P3. Cus in P4 all of the girls fall in love with you anyway, you just have the option to turn them down. I think completely unromancable girls, think Junpei in P3P minus the shitty subplot, would be refreshing.

Yeah, I like this idea. Would make things less pandering to the player if there was a non romance option.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
On the whole dating bit:

I will agree that dating is a small part of P3 and P4. However, there is some pandering in P4 that I really hate, and that's the whole main character worship Yu has going on with everyone.

I know P5 will be a silent protagonist and us as the player are supposed to project our image into him, but can we please give him some flaws and not be worshiped by every single character? That would be nice.

Isn't this some trope where city kid moves to podunk town in the middle of nowhere and the kids around are enamored by him or her?

Sure, they amp it up to the extreme in P4 though.

KarasuEXE

Also there is a job at a konbini (convenience store) named 777. I am unsure how to pronounce it though. Is it Seven Hundred and Seventy Seven? Seven Seven Seven? Just "Seven"? Triple Seven? Nana Nana Nana? Nana hyaku nana juu nana? 

Yep. I am thinking waaaay to hard about it.

Triple Seven? 37?
Jackpot?

you mean like the option that was there for every female social link in persona 4
But like no option at all to date them. It felt pandering to have every single female in that game want to be your 'waifu', even that nurse. Like hey, there's this awesomely designed female social link that isn't interested in you sexually. Just be friends and go through the SL, you know?

Granted P5 looks to be the type of game I want! 2017 can't come fast enough.

QuadOpto

But like no option at all to date them. It felt pandering to have every single female in that game want to be your 'waifu', even that nurse. Like hey, there's this awesomely designed female social link that isn't interested in you sexually. Just be friends and go through the SL, you know?

Granted P5 looks to be the type of game I want! 2017 can't come fast enough.

I mean, there's the Mom Daycare S.Link form P4. Pretty sure there's nothing about her being attracted to you. Just you talking with her about her relationship with her stepkid. and the town.

EDIT: Also the fox maybe.

Strimei

I love how Morgana is just chillin' with the MC all day.

I chuckle every time i see her in the bag. I want a cat that chill. All the cats in my life have been neurotic spazzballs. Except for my stepfather's cat, but I don't think she'd like being in a bag.

Soejima Q&A should be starting about now at E3.

ClF1LGHUkAAAmJh.jpg

Makio

I love how Morgana is just chillin' with the MC all day.

Actually i cant talk without playing the game first but dont matter how lovely Morgana is , is going to be annoying (to me at least) at some point i know

Like Jesus the guy can eat a burger alone without Morgana giving her comment about it.

But then she got to try really hard to annoy me like
Teddie

Lunar15

Yeah, I'm curious about how annoying having Morgana around all the time will be. I'm getting weird Zelda flashbacks.

That voice actor better kill it.

Soejima Q&A should be starting about now at E3.

With bonus Yu Namba! I don't think I've seen that guy anywhere since the launch of Ultimax. Hopefully someone there will post a transcript of Soejima's answers after.

In regards to Morgana getting annoying, I think it depends on how her speech is presented. From the gameplay clips they showed, it looks like at least some of what she says is stuff the narrator used to say. So when the MC goes to the flower shop, instead of a plain text box asking if you want to work, it's Morgana.

Lunar15

With bonus Yu Namba! I don't think I've seen that guy anywhere since the launch of Ultimax. Hopefully someone there will post a transcript of Soejima's answers after.

In regards to Morgana getting annoying, I think it depends on how her speech is presented. From the gameplay clips they showed, it looks like at least some of what she says is stuff the narrator used to say. So when the MC goes to the flower shop, instead of a plain text box asking if you want to work, it's Morgana.

Yeah I was thinking about how she replaces the disembodied narrator. Part of me liked that in a weird way, so I'm curious to see how morgana fills that void.

EDIT: Reading about Iwai's social link, I really hope they handle that one with care, because I can see it getting real tricky. Potential Social Link Spoilers:
His hobbies seem to be building authentic guns (not airsoft), so him trying to use the MC to further his "goals" whatever those may be, sounds like it could be weird. I'm sure he's a good guy, but taking that subject material lightly has a completely different context over here in the US.

Top Bottom