• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Zolo

That's true, he's still wearing his glasses in the P3 DLC. Might be a weird mix of both then, though we don't necessarily know what's going on with Joker's eyesight.

I'm guessing it's stylish in his case while Futaba genuinely needs them since both of her parents wear glasses.

I'm guessing it's stylish in his case while Futaba genuinely needs them since both of her parents wear glasses.

We don't know if the MC's parents need glasses though, since we haven't seen them.

I expect this to be a very important plot point

MC isn't wearing glasses just before his awakening.

Zolo

MC isn't wearing glasses just before his awakening.

I'm just used to a lot of cases I've run into with glasses-wearing characters is them being fake or not needing them, so that's just what I'm expecting. I'll be pleasantly surprised if that's not the case.

Too busy being Spider-man :p

They could also use some of the voice actors who voiced some of the spin-off characters like the members from Kanamin Kitchen or Sho.

I'm torn on Haberkorn showing up in P5 as anyone.
On the one hand, it'd be nice to have him voice a good character,
on the other hand, I'd probably never be able to un-hear Sho.

I already paid the full amount for the Take Your Heart edition that John and the team's bringing over...and I was planning to get a standard copy of a Japanese version of Persona 5 PS4, but now that a Chinese version got announced, I'll go for a standard copy of that instead. At least I'll be able to understand something. Yay for Chinese knowledge! (Like I said before, I'm a fan of both English and Japanese voice actors and actresses, but hey, Chinese subs with Japanese voices (if we really really are not able to get it for the English version (which I'm still getting btw)...why not? Persona 5 is truly shaping up to be a game that I wouldn't hesitate double dipping for. Looking forward to one of my favourite seiyuus of all time Yuuki Aoi guiding the way with her navigational lines come September))

Being able to play the game and actually fully understand the story on Sep 15... that was both unexpected and extraordinary! Who would have thought, that Chinese subs will be released simultaneously with the JPN version.

It seems likely that every future Persona game on Sony consoles will have a Chinese sub version and this is a great thing!

Aters

Is Play-Asia reliable? I'm on the edge of placing my order, never used that website before.
Also, even though Atlus has been pretty shitty in Europe, it's also shaping up to be a top publisher in Asia. Go Atlus! Bring more simultaneous releases!

Dantis

So, something I've been thinking about is how Makoto is characterised.
We know next to nothing about her, but I can see two potential (in my opinion) pitfalls:

Firstly, I really hope she isn't a retread of Mitsuru. The small amount of characterisation puts her character pretty close to Mitsuru in terms of... well, a lot. I always felt like Mitsuru was quite an uninteresting, unbelievable character, so I really hope that she's not just a 'commanding stern scholar' character.

Secondly, her thief persona seems to be at the largest disparity to her real world self of everyone that we've seen. Real world Makoto looks pretty normal, and then thief Makoto looks, well, psychotic. Her expression on her AoA portrait, her victory pose and the character render have her drawn significantly different than the other female characters. She looks like she's about to rip someone's head off.

I really want to like her though. Her design is really great.

Zolo

Just taking guesses here, but I get the impression Makoto struggles more than Mitsuru does. Mitsuru was pretty much perfect as far as having perfect grades, being a phenomenal leader, etc. I get the feeling Makoto struggles more to live up to that kind of ideal which causes a lot of frustration on her end. There may even be elements of that and anger at feeling pressured to take on the role.

Since the thief side seems to be characters expressing what they can't in real life, it seems to indicate to Makoto having a lot of pent up anger she can't let out in real life having to act more like she doesn't have any complaints.

Kinda on the subject, I do find it kinda funny how some people seem to talk about loving the characters already when we still don't know crap about them really. I'd say I'm looking forward most to Makoto (fav character type), Anne (seems fun), Morgana (I REALLY like the idea of her being with you wherever you go), and Ryuji (interested in how they'll do the friend dynamic in comparison to Junpei and Yosuke). That said, I still don't really know the characters, so I can't say who I'd really like until I play the game.

We know next to nothing about her, but I can see two potential (in my opinion) pitfalls:

Firstly, I really hope she isn't a retread of Mitsuru. The small amount of characterisation puts her character pretty close to Mitsuru in terms of... well, a lot. I always felt like Mitsuru was quite an uninteresting, unbelievable character, so I really hope that she's not just a 'commanding stern scholar' character.

Secondly, her thief persona seems to be at the largest disparity to her real world self of everyone that we've seen. Real world Makoto looks pretty normal, and then thief Makoto looks, well, psychotic. Her expression on her AoA portrait, her victory pose and the character render have her drawn significantly different than the other female characters. She looks like she's about to rip someone's head off.

Makoto's design tells me that she's a person with intense amounts of inner rage and a strong sense of justice who has had to suppress it all for the sake of appearance and familial expectation/success. She's similar to Mitsuru in the sense of having to keep up appearances/repress her desires for the sake of family/duty/etc, and chances are she's had to turn a blind eye to a few unsavoury things in the service of her (future) career. This has probably let to a volatile package of righteous anger and possibly some amount of self-loathing. Hence why her thief form looks on the one hand like a knight (justice, righteousness) but is also seems almost psychotic or unhinged, and why she fights in an incredibly close and brutal fashion.

Lunar15

Her character really could go either real endearing or real annoying, just because she does somewhat revolve around the character gimmick of being aggressively "just". She does not seem like Mitsuru in any way, just because she seems extremely driven and fierce. Mitsuru, to me, always gave off a feeling of confidence and detachment. She always seemed in control. I don't get that vibe from Makoto. I get the feeling of someone aggressive, someone who never stops pursuing something.

For the first part of the game, she'll probably be "on to" the thieves and try to worm out what they're up to at school. Once she joins, I think her whole thing is that she strives for a "morally just" outcome, and that kind of intense character could really be a drag or something really endearing IF they manage to surround it with enough down to earth moments.

While I see how one could view her cut out as "psychotic", I view it as intensely judgemental. She's looking down at the enemy. It fits her "Pope" theme.

PK Gaming

You're getting worked up over nothing man. Their similarities are superficial at best; Mitsuru being the student council president was just another point in a long list of things that seemingly made her "perfect." Makoto on the other hand, will definitely have more of a natural slant towards being the student council president. Pretty there's also definitely going to be commentary about the pressure to perform in Japan, since i'm positive that people have dirt on her. Being even disregarding what I've said, they're not really similar in demeanor, like Lunar15 pointed out.

She looks psychotic because anger (or to be more specific, wrath) is a core part of her character. Her being a phantom thief will serve as an outlet of sorts.

You're getting worked up over nothing man. Their similarities are superficial at best; Mitsuru being the student council president was just another point in a long list of things that seemingly made her "perfect." Makoto on the other hand, will definitely have more of a natural slant towards being the student council president. Pretty there's also definitely going to be commentary about the pressure to perform in Japan, since i'm positive that people have dirt on her. Being even disregarding what I've said, they're not really similar in demeanor, like Lunar15 pointed out.

She looks psychotic because anger (or to be more specific, wrath) is a core part of her character. Her being a phantom thief will serve as an outlet of sorts.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing how these characters grow.

... and then regress in the spinoffs that I will selectively ignore. :p

Something about how Makoto expresses herself in the trailers already seems different than Mitsuru to me. Her anger looks alot different than Mitsuru's

Pachael

now that a Chinese version got announced, I'll go for a standard copy of that instead. At least I'll be able to understand something. Yay for Chinese knowledge!

Being able to play the game and actually fully understand the story on Sep 15... that was both unexpected and extraordinary! Who would have thought, that Chinese subs will be released simultaneously with the JPN version.

It seems likely that every future Persona game on Sony consoles will have a Chinese sub version and this is a great thing!

I expected Chinese localisation as Sega's been pretty hot on that these days, with Yakuza getting good sales. Reading that Odin Sphere and P4DAN was also localised in Chinese made me hopeful for P5 but I was expecting this towards later of the year (Dec). It's great to see that it's day and date with the Japanese version :).

Xenoflare

I don't know if anything is brought up about this but will P5 be cross save compatible?

I'll be getting the XB1 before the PS4 so I'm probably going to double dip.

Edit: Oh hey a Chinese localization eh? But I guess it's going to be PS4 only

barybll

Banned
I don't know if anything is brought up about this but will P5 be cross save compatible?

I don't know if I got your question
But if its what I think it is.

P5 don't have XB1 version mate

Setsu00

That's true, he's still wearing his glasses in the P3 DLC. Might be a weird mix of both then, though we don't necessarily know what's going on with Joker's eyesight.

Well, at least we know that the glasses he's wearing are labeled as "fashion glasses" in the game. That sort of implies that he doesn't really need them, but I guess you could argue that it might simply be an especially fashionable pair of glasses...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Between the PS3 and PS4 versions, yes? AFAIK, they've never mentioned anything regarding that.

If that is not the case, p5 isn't relasing on XB1.

The Chinese version just has Chinese subs with JP voices.

CmSoYWBUEAAL3I_.jpg
???? Is Persona 5 at anime expo? Not that I'd expect anything new if it is.

Dantis

dantis getting worked up over nothing? say it ain't so!

If speculating on characters is what you consider 'worked up', then you must be chilled as heck.

Her character really could go either real endearing or real annoying, just because she does somewhat revolve around the character gimmick of being aggressively "just". She does not seem like Mitsuru in any way, just because she seems extremely driven and fierce. Mitsuru, to me, always gave off a feeling of confidence and detachment. She always seemed in control. I don't get that vibe from Makoto. I get the feeling of someone aggressive, someone who never stops pursuing something.

For the first part of the game, she'll probably be "on to" the thieves and try to worm out what they're up to at school. Once she joins, I think her whole thing is that she strives for a "morally just" outcome, and that kind of intense character could really be a drag or something really endearing IF they manage to surround it with enough down to earth moments.

While I see how one could view her cut out as "psychotic", I view it as intensely judgemental. She's looking down at the enemy. It fits her "Pope" theme.

I think she definitely seems angry. It's not just her cut in though, like I say, it's all of her thief art.
One interesting thing (that I mentioned in my last post) is that Makoto's thief art is definitely drawn differently from the other female characters (across the whole series, not just P5), in that it's a very masculine, aggressive pose. Soejima is really good at conveying personality through stance, and I think it shows that whatever else her personality is like, she's going to be a very intense character.

One thing I'm impressed with is how tasteful the uniforms are for the ladies. Feels like Japanese games are really moving towards a specific type of sexualisation with school uniforms in games, so it's nice to see Soejima showing some restraint, and placing the design above cheap fan service. Three characters wearing skirts, all wearing tights, and one character wearing shorts.

Sophia

One thing I'm impressed with is how tasteful the uniforms are for the ladies. Feels like Japanese games are really moving towards a specific type of sexualisation with school uniforms in games, so it's nice to see Soejima showing some restraint, and placing the design above cheap fan service. Three characters wearing skirts, all wearing tights, and one character wearing shorts.

Actually *looking* like a uniform goes a long ways to not making it sexualized.

Makoto is kind of unique too. We've seen her wear the uniform minus the jacket + bow (none of the girls appear to wear the bow, but you can see it on the random female students from the E3 footage), and we've also seen her wear a unique top entirely with the rest of the uniform.

Really love all the little details Soejima puts in.

Dantis

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Is Makoto's braid actually a braid or is it a headband? Does she actually have long hair, that she just tied up into a braid?

Actually *looking* like a uniform goes a long ways to not making it sexualized.

Makoto is kind of unique too. We've seen her wear the uniform minus the jacket + bow (none of the girls appear to wear the bow, but you can see it on the random female students from the E3 footage), and we've also seen her wear a unique top entirely with the rest of the uniform.

Really love all the little details Soejima puts in.

I absolutely love Makoto's design. Going be disappointed if she's not my favourite character.
Her and Haru are both super well designed and very unique.

They almost make up for Anne looking bland.

Jason Bateman knows what's up.

Sophia

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Is Makoto's braid actually a braid or is it a headband? Does she actually have long hair, that she just tied up into a braid?

It looks to be an actual braid. It's hard to tell completely though.... but PV4 makes it look like it's a part of the hair itself.

I wouldn't want to take the time to braid my hair every day like that o_o;

I absolutely love Makoto's design. Going be disappointed if she's not my favourite character.
Her and Haru are both super well designed and very unique.

They almost make up for Anne looking bland.

Honestly? Every single member of the Persona 5 cast clicks with me. I haven't had that feeling in a long time regarding an RPG.

All four female members of the party look like they could be my new favorite character, including Ann.

I definitely never count on design pointing towards my favorite character

hated naoto's design before playing P4

We will see how my opinion of Futaba turns out

Dantis

If we assume that it's Makoto removing Futaba's headdress at 3:12 in the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsKRt8p0a28

Then yeah. It seems like she has longer hair even if it may still not be that long.

HOW DO YOU GUYS KEEP CATCHING THINGS LIKE THIS.

MY MIND IS BLOWN.

All four female members of the party look like they could be my new favorite character, including Ann.

...Her?

I definitely never count on design pointing towards my favorite character

hated naoto's design before playing P4

We will see how my opinion of Futaba turns out

I have a feeling I'll hate Futaba, but I was way off on P4, so who knows.

I recently played through ME Catalyst, which has a hacker character who is extremely introverted, and who I found quite endearing. If Futaba was written like she is, rather than an over the top super dork, then I would probably be quite pleased.

Zolo

One thing I did really like about Ann is how she leans on Ryuji in the beach scene. It kinda just adds a level of familiarity that you didn't really see in the previous games or would be met with a *Gasp* 'A guy and girl are making physical contact!' I guess that happened with Rise, but it was very much as a romantic/interested gesture.

Personally, the ones I'm least excited about are Haru and Yusuke.....and that's largely because I feel out of all the party members, I know least about them which is kinda weird with Yusuke since he's been around almost as long as Ryuji and Anne.

I recently played through ME Catalyst, which has a hacker character who is extremely introverted, and who I found quite endearing. If Futaba was written like she is, rather than an over the top super dork, then I would probably be quite pleased.
I hated Frau for the majority of Robotics;Notes, but she had a really key moment and became my favorite as it finished. I'm wondering if something like that may happen with Futaba

I have ME:C, havent played it yet. Really looking forward to getting around to it

MSMrRound

This is actually what I would personally consider as the first mainline Persona title with decent top of the line animation work being put into the cutscenes and stuff. Pretty pumped.

P3's had a bit of its own charm to it...but yea..you can definitely tell that it wasn't quite the best. Production I.G, keep on rocking.

Urgh. So hoping that the July 19 broadcast or a date near that might finally give us a good look at the full Persona 5 opening, now that they revealed the last party member. I WANT TO SEE ALL THE DIFFERENT HIGHWAY SKATING ACTIONS DAMMIT! (and also to loop it in my game shop whole day long). Shouldn't have anything else good to hide...riiiight?

Setsu00

This is actually what I would personally consider as the first mainline Persona title with decent top of the line animation work being put into the cutscenes and stuff. Pretty pumped.

P3's had a bit of its own charm to it...but yea..you can definitely tell that it wasn't quite the best. Production I.G, keep on rocking.

Urgh. So hoping that the July 19 broadcast or a date near that might finally give us a good look at the full Persona 5 opening, now that they revealed the last party member. I WANT TO SEE ALL THE DIFFERENT HIGHWAY SKATING ACTIONS DAMMIT! (and also to loop it in my game shop whole day long). Shouldn't have anything else good to hide...riiiight?

Actually, the animation seems to be still a little bit stiff. I don't like to watch PV4's opening scene because of that - you can sort of count the frames. The frames themselves, however, look fine. It's still a massive improvement over the previous games.

Dantis

Personally, I'd rather they just scrapped anime scenes from Persona. Feel like a waste of time and budget, and they just pull me out more than anything.

They worked in Catherine, because the life sections were virtually a playable anime, but Persona is super gamey, with character portraits and the like, and then like four times per game it goes "WOAH, ANIME CUTSCENE". Just feels out of place.

They also always completely lack any of the style of the rest of the game and are just straight forward anime scenes that could be in anything. Why bother?

Sophia

I actually would not be surprised if there was a business reason for the anime realted cutscenes. Couldn't fathom what they are tho. On it's own, animation is expensive, and I'd think doing in-game stuff would be less work.

Persona 3 and Persona 4 had moments where the engine was clearly not capable of doing what they wanted to do, so the animated cutscenes made sense. But we've seen all sorts of crazy stuff happening in Persona 5's in game cutscenes.

Zolo

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they were made with the idea they increased sales. Just like how every anime game needs an anime opening.

Setsu00

Personally, I'd rather they just scrapped anime scenes from Persona. Feel like a waste of time and budget, and they just pull me out more than anything.

They worked in Catherine, because the life sections were virtually a playable anime, but Persona is super gamey, with character portraits and the like, and then like four times per game it goes "WOAH, ANIME CUTSCENE". Just feels out of place.

They also always completely lack any of the style of the rest of the game and are just straight forward anime scenes that could be in anything. Why bother?

I absolutely agree. I vastly prefer the in game look over the anime sequences.

PK Gaming

What?!?

How you gonna do the pyramid run scene with in game assets. Or shit, even the interrogation scene? There are so many moments that are best shown through anime ass cutscenes.

artsi

I actually like the anime cutscenes, it still brings more life to the characters than ingame animations, but I'm fine either way.

Setsu00

What?!?

How you gonna do the pyramid run scene with in game assets. Or shit, even the interrogation scene? There are so many moments that are best shown through anime ass cutscenes.

I'll give you the pyramid scene, but the interrogation scene would be absolutely doable with their ingame graphics.

Top Bottom