• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Looks like Yukiko is gonna die and I'm going to get a stupid game over screen. I faffed around doing things I wanted instead of grinding and I think it's my last day to save her. Such a shame. Guess I'll restart on easy or something. Really disappointing you can't change difficulty mid way through.

The game will let you go back a week if you let her die, if you don't mind doing some stuff over.

If the game expects me to grind on every day then pretty much normal won't be for me. I am struggling to get Yukiko below half health.

You definitely don't need to grind every day, it's best to go on rainy days and try to make as much progress as possible each time. The game gets a lot easier as it goes on, and it's entirely possible to clear some of the later dungeons in a single go. As for Yukiko, it helps if Chie has Mabufu and to have a persona with Red Wall. (Slime learns the skill, fusing it onto a better persona is recommended)

but ofc if you really wanna restart on easy then you should

I use Mabufu until about half health. But once she summons her knight and casts ice resistence it's just out of control. I have one party member healing, and the other two switching between physical attacks and debuffs.

Sophia

Mabufu is of questionable use in Persona 4 Golden against Shadow Yukiko. In the original version of Persona 4 it was useful for Chie to cast it once to get an extra turn off the prince (then using a single target to not damage the prince any further), but in Persona 4 Golden the prince's weakness was changed to Electricity. And while Shadow Yukiko has a weakness to ice, she will very likely have White Wall up most of the fight to make exploiting this pretty difficult. That being said, the Prince is more dangerous in Golden due to having a higher magic stat (more potent heals) and Makajam, so it's generally a good idea to keep it in dizzy status with electricity attacks if you can.

The persona Senri is exceptional for this fight in both versions of the game. It has a resistance to fire nullifying some of Shadow Yukiko's strongest attacks. It comes with the healing skill Dia out of the gate, and when leveled up a few more levels it earns Media making your protagonist the ideal healer for this fight. It can also inherit Red Wall, Resist Physical, and Tarunda from the persona Slime too, allowing the protagonist near perfect immunity AND giving him some decent supporting options alongside that healing.

Remember tho, Visualante. Persona 3 and 4 are generally not games where you need to grind. Most of the time, simply switching your strategy around and bringing out new Personas can make all the difference in the world. You can definitely still finish the dungeon with one day left thanks to the new SP restoring mechanics from Shuffle Time and the help feature. It's also possible to farm SP restoring items on the lower floors, although it's tedious. And as noted, you can simply let time pass and travel back a week in order to get a fresher start.

If the game expects me to grind on every day then pretty much normal won't be for me. I am struggling to get Yukiko below half health.
Ideally, you'll want to be level 15 by the end of the first dungeon, and gain +10 levels in each dungeon after that.

The first dungeon is definitely the hardest due to the lack of Personas available to you. If you're feeling underpowered, usually fusion is the answer instead of grinding.

Was the Persona 3 Movie 1 ever on Netflix? I'm just watching 2 at the moment (saw 1 elsewhere when it first came out) and it just seemed odd that 1 wasn't listed.

CorvoSol

I thought Shadow Mitsuo and The Game were all just a reference to Dragon Quest? Maybe MegaTen I dunno cuz I'm not familiar with those. But it looked a lot like the DQ sprites.

Sophia

Then maybe the reference is the other way round? :p

Shadow Mitsuno
and the respective dungeon is a clear reference to the classic Megami Tensei games. Specifically the original two on the NES. The only way the person in the DYKG video could get that wrong is if they're blissfully unfamiliar with the originals. The menus even have the classic MegaTen enemy indicator that debuted in MT2.

It is definitely not a reference to 3D Dot Game Heroes. Five seconds of research on the writer's part would show that Atlus didn't even publish that in Japan.

Shadow Mitsuno
and the respective dungeon is a clear reference to the classic Megami Tensei games. Specifically the original two on the NES. The only way the person in the DYKG video could get that wrong is if they're blissfully unfamiliar with the originals. The menus even have the classic MegaTen enemy indicator that debuted in MT2.

It is definitely not a reference to 3D Dot Game Heroes. Five seconds of research on the writer's part would show that Atlus didn't even publish that in Japan.

I did hear that the introduction text once you enter the first floor is a reference to that.

Who knows, maybe
Shadow Mitsuo
and 3D Dot Game Heroes's character looking similar is just Atlus reusing assets. :/

I did hear that the introduction text once you enter the first floor is a reference to that.

Who knows, maybe
Shadow Mitsuo
and 3D Dot Game Heroes's character looking similar is just Atlus reusing assets. :/
Atlus didn't make 3D Dot Game Heroes, and in fact they only published it in North America.

Sophia

Who knows, maybe
Shadow Mitsuo

untitled6xu0b.png

I imagine Atlus did not reuse assests from a game they did not even develop or publish, no. Especially not one which came out almost two years after Persona 4. :p

Atlus didn't make 3D Dot Game Heroes, and in fact they only published it in North America.

I imagine Atlus did not reuse assests from a game they did not even develop or publish, no. Especially not one which came out almost two years after Persona 4. :p

Mental note. Don't say anything. Or at least bother with fact-checking.

Also, not that it matters now, but I meant the older assets getting reused. Even I'm not stupid enough to think they reused stuff from the future, Sophia. :|

Dantis

I can't believe what I am reading and hope you find God immediately.

She's the worst.

As the years have gone on, I've grown less and less fond of her.

It's gone from "Eh." to "Eurgh.".

I really don't see any redeeming qualities to her outside of her design. I even dislike her voice.

wmlk

I really only dislike Yukiko's weird laughing fits. It just doesn't make sense and really carry over to video game/VN cutscenes. It's like they wanted to give her an endearing character trait or something.

Chie's steak obsession in everything after P4 is pretty much like that, too.

It's such a shame most of the characters get reduced down to one note characteristics or jokes outside the main games. What I always love about the Persona games is how fleshed out everyone feels.

Dantis

She dresses well, at least.

I always found that line in the game where she talks about how she has no idea how to dress really odd.

Sophia

That's fine! Just not fine when I have to press X to hear more laughs.

"Me going into a laughing fit at something funny, recovering, hitting the button, watching Yukiko go into a laughing fit, and me going into a second one" was a regular occurrence during my original playthrough of Persona 4. I woke up my parents one night because I was laughing too hard.

Yukiko's laughing fits are the best.
Full disclaimer I laugh continuously like that in real life
Yukiko's laugh is adorable. No one can convince me otherwise.
It's such a shame most of the characters get reduced down to one note characteristics or jokes outside the main games. What I always love about the Persona games is how fleshed out everyone feels.
It's like the sitcom cycle.
sitcom_char_8984.jpg

daevious

"Me going into a laughing fit at something funny, recovering, hitting the button, watching Yukiko go into a laughing fit, and me going into a second one" was a regular occurrence during my original playthrough of Persona 4. I woke up my parents one night because I was laughing too hard.

I've always liked Yukiko's laughing fits as well because it shows off that underneath her "unapproachable" appearance, she's as dorky as the rest of the investigation team.

JCX

I'm at block 2 of P3P FeMC. Didn't realize for a bit that the normal battle theme was different. Wipe It All Out sounds DDRMAX-era video game rap. Does the music get any better later on?

Top Bottom