• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

B9vc7fO.png
Any thoughts on if the 'TBA' price means anything?

Atlus tax?
Limited Edition?
Just a placeholder due to the overall lack of P5 Info?

Has Atlus ever charged their 'tax' on a console game before?

artsi

Atlus tax?
Limited Edition?

I doubt it deviates from the standard prices on PS3 / PS4 at all. Just a placeholder until it's officially announced.

cj_iwakura

Atlus tax?
Limited Edition?

Their console games are usually reasonable, it's the handheld ones that get the tax. If they pull a Twilight Princess and prioritize the PS4 version, though...

_Ryo_

Persona 4 PS2: This is really sad. It's almost halway though October and I've not completed even one social link. Many with rank 7+ though. :D

There's social links I haven't even started and are probably impossible to start now. lol

Don't worry about it, just prioritise your party members and don't despair too hard if you miss a few. It kinda matters but it doesn't ~really~ matter. I did terribly with my SLs on my first run, if it helps.

_Ryo_

Don't worry about it, just prioritise your party members and don't despair too hard if you miss a few. It kinda matters but it doesn't ~really~ matter. I did terribly with my SLs on my first run, if it helps.

This isn't even my first... or second run. I'm just being really lazy.

Olengie

Highly doubt there would be Atlus tax on P5.

Why add in an extra "$10" for an already $60 game.

Were probably going to get a Launch Edition and a Collectors Edition

QuadOpto

Uh...so...

I don't know if this has already been brought up wayyy in the past, or if it even matters.

But...during my possibly 100th re-watching of the P5 trailer, I noticed something that sort of sticks out as 'odd' to me.

Namely, at the part where it pulls up the menu screen, and we see the character's names for the first time. (Spoilered just in case any kind of rule about this is still in effect.)
Persona-5-Menu.jpg

Now, I know as a placeholder, obviously the MC's name is "Protagonist" or something along those lines, but one thing that stretches me is the fact that there is no indication of a surname or spacing for him, compared to the others (excluding Morgana of course.)

If i'm remembering right, it's impossible to forgo a last name in the other games, and going from promotional material of Persona 4, using the same exact characters, it is actually spaced with a 'first' and 'last' name.

So...I guess what I'm trying to get at here is...does our protagonist not have a last name? Or maybe, is this the old SMT thing where you have a nickname that basically appears for UI purposes(If so, why? The last two games in the series haven't done it.).

...I feel somewhat stupid bringing this up, since it's ultimately meaningless for now. It was just something I noticed that surprised me since I never noticed it before nor do I remember anyone mentioning it(maybe because it's not important or significant at all)

So uh...yeah. Any thoughts? Or am I just showing my desperation for P5 news?

FluxWaveZ

Or am I just showing my desperation for P5 news?

This. As someone who works in QA, I know that those are the kinds of meticulous details in pre-release media of an unfinished game that can very well be absolutely meaningless in the final game (alongside damage values, HP, SP, prices...).

PK Gaming

So with all this rampant negativity being directed at Ultimax's narrative for the nth time, I figured I should balance things out by talking about some of the good things it offers.

1) The Roster

Misgivings about the lack of doors and P1/P2 characters aside, the roster is made up of just about every Persona character you could ask for. What's more, each character has a unique moveset and a overall theme (Naoto's instant kills, [Redacted]'s buffs and ailments, Junpei's victory cry) that make them stand out from each other. Add in Shadow characters and you pretty much have no shortage of characters to choose from.

2) Game modes galore

Arena's biggest problem was that you ran out of things to do after beating the story mode (okay well, you had online play). Sure, Arcade mode was a thing, but it was a distraction at best, and Score Attack straight up sucked. Ultimax significantly improves on both game modes, and throws in a new mode altogether. Golden Arena Mode gets some flack for being a grind, but I think it's good for what it is. Just mindless fun with your character of choice. The newly added online lobby is a ton of fun too, just be mindful of the weirdos who like to roleplay...

3) Easy to play, easy to get into

Ultimax is an easy game to get into. Even if you absolutely suck at fighting games, you can get by with just spamming autocombo. But if you're interested in going even further, it's also one of the easiest fighting games to get into. With the exception of a few, combos aren't that demanding, reversals can be used at a press of a button, and quarter circles are pretty much the only commands you'll need to learn how to do on command.

4) Playable Margaret

So with all this rampant negativity being directed at Ultimax's narrative for the nth time, I figured I should balance things out by talking about some of the good things it offers.

1) The Roster

Misgivings about the lack of doors and P1/P2 characters aside, the roster is made up of just about every Persona character you could ask for. What's more, each character has a unique moveset and a overall theme (Naoto's instant kills, [Redacted]'s buffs and ailments, Junpei's victory cry) that make them stand out from each other. Add in Shadow characters and you pretty much have no shortage of characters to choose from.

2) Game modes galore

Arena's biggest problem was that you ran out of things to do after beating the story mode (okay well, you had online play). Sure, Arcade mode was a thing, but it was a distraction at best, and Score Attack straight up sucked. Ultimax significantly improves on both game modes, and throws in a new mode altogether. Golden Arena Mode gets some flack for being a grind, but I think it's good for what it is. Just mindless fun with your character of choice. The newly added online lobby is a ton of fun too, just be mindful of the weirdos who like to roleplay...

3) Easy to play, easy to get into

Ultimax is an easy game to get into. Even if you absolutely suck at fighting games, you can get by with just spamming autocombo. But if you're interested in going even further, it's also one of the easiest fighting games to get into. With the exception of a few, combos aren't that demanding, reversals can be used at a press of a button, and quarter circles are pretty much the only commands you'll need to learn how to do on command.

4) Playable Margaret

I know they're all about story continuity, but I still feel P3MC and Shinjiro should have been playable, especially over freaking Marie <___<

While the Ultimax hate is directed universally at its story mode, it does bear mentioning that there's a technically great fighter underneath it.

I know they're all about story continuity, but I still feel P3MC and Shinjiro should have been playable, especially over freaking Marie <___<

And you shut up, Marie is fine.

Lunar15

The funny thing is that the entire conversation about Ultimax was purely around it's narrative. Almost everyone said it's a pretty great fighting game.

Sophia

This. As someone who works in QA, I know that those are the kinds of meticulous details in pre-release media of an unfinished game that can very well be absolutely meaningless in the final game (alongside damage values, HP, SP, prices...).

Yup. It's typically just a placeholder. :p

The funny thing is that the entire conversation about Ultimax was purely around it's narrative. Almost everyone said it's a pretty great fighting game.

Good things about Ultimax's narrative: Labrys, Labrys, Labrys, Labrys, and did I say Labrys? Cuz yeah.

Ultimax isn't a bad game at all, but I feel obligated to shit all over the Arena duology whenever possible because I'm still salty over both their EU releases being terribly handled.

Ultimax gets points for playable Rise, though.

Swedesu

Ultimax is fantastic, one of the greatest fighters I've played, with Shadow Labby as the bestest murder machine.
I mean she has a huge, rocket-powered axe and a demon bull that shoots lasers!

Also the P3 side of the story ain't half bad.

Ultimax gets points for playable Rise, though.

I'd paint that as one of its failings. I wouldn't mind if the story only had Shadow Rise participating, but Rise's persona suddenly being able to fight (under dodgy circumstances, I might add) sends the unfortunate message that support characters are useless.

But there I go again hating on the story.
Like it deserves.

I'd paint that as one of its failings. I wouldn't mind if the story only had Shadow Rise participating, but Rise's persona suddenly being able to fight (under dodgy circumstances, I might add) sends the unfortunate message that support characters are useless.

Like it deserves.

I like to pretend the entire plot didn't happen at all and just focus on being able to hit all the other losers with a microphone.

Sophia

Like it deserves.

Fuuka
goes badass at the end of Arena
and Rise gains a desire to fight because of it.
Rise's Persona (which is a reflection of her heart) evolves to allow her to fight.
????
Support characters are useless!!

Mind clarifying? I'm not seeing the logic there. :p

Lunar15

Good things about Ultimax's narrative: Labrys, Labrys, Labrys, Labrys, and did I say Labrys? Cuz yeah.

I enjoy Labrys in both of the Arenas. I think she's genuinely well written. Rise came out pretty good in Ultimax too.

It's a shame it seems 2.0 is not going to be released outside of arcades. A P4A3 with Guilty Gear Xrd's look would be the best.

We'll get that for 5.

And yes, that would be incredible.

Fuuka
Rise's Persona (which is a reflection of her heart) evolves to allow her to fight.
????

Rise gained a desire to fight directly due to Fuuka
using her support skills to help?
It sure is easy to miss things in that story mode.

The point I was trying to make is I felt it diminished the importance of the support-only characters by portraying Rise's persona being able to fight as a promotion.
imo, support-only personas should have been portrayed as equally useful as combat personas, which Arena did well.

So Rise was inspired by Fuuka... to become less like her? What?

Fuuka
????

So then why is Fuuka not playable?

Sophia

Rise gained a desire to fight directly due to Fuuka
using her support skills to help?
It sure is easy to miss things in that story mode.

The point I was trying to make is I felt it diminished the importance of the support-only characters by portraying Rise's persona being able to fight as a promotion.
imo, support-only personas should have been portrayed as equally useful as combat personas, which Arena did well.

So Rise was inspired by Fuuka... to become less like her? What?

Rise spent Arena being a kidnapped victim, and Fuuka's display of strength to protect her friends encourged Rise to find a way to fight alongside her friends. This new resolve triggered the evolution of Himiko.

And remember, this isn't the first time support Personas have had the ability to fight as well. Remember Mitsuru? Her Persona can do both.

I'm also kind of surprised you missed these details. There was kinda sorta a huge chunk of the beginning of the P4 story (and an animated cutscene) regarding it. :p

Fuuka has a desire to protect, but not a desire to fight. Rise's newfound resolve gave her a desire to fight alongside her friends.
I actually wanted Fuuka to be playable, or at least for her Shadow Self to antagonize the party.

Rise spent Arena being a kidnapped victim, and Fuuka's display of strength to protect her friends encourged Rise to find a way to fight alongside her friends. This new resolve triggered the evolution of Himiko.

And remember, this isn't the first time support Personas have had the ability to fight as well. Remember Mitsuru? Her Persona can do both.

I'm also kind of surprised you missed these details. There was kinda sorta a huge chunk of the beginning of the P4 story (and an animated cutscene) regarding it. :p

Fuuka has a desire to protect, but not a desire to fight. Rise's newfound resolve gave her a desire to fight alongside her friends.
I actually wanted Fuuka to be playable, or at least for her Shadow Self to antagonize the party.

If that's the case, she was inspired by her own experience, not Fuuka's actions.

Mitsuru's persona has limited support capabilities. That's why I'm okay with her changing roles.

And I know about the events in the P4 story. I wasn't questioning it happening, I was questioning it being a good idea.
And I don't think Elizabeth appearing out of the blue to attack her so her persona changes was the best way to do it either.

But I will agree that
the complete absence of Shadow Fuuka is kind of weird.

Sophia

If that's the case, she was inspired by her own experience, not Fuuka's actions.

Mitsuru's persona has limited support capabilities. That's why I'm okay with her changing roles.

And I know about the events in Ultimax. I wasn't questioning it happening, I was questioning it being a good idea.

But I will agree that
the complete absence of Shadow Fuuka is kind of weird.

That's not what the story says:

"I think about Fuuka-san, who had such tremendous powers that she could help Mitsuru-san's group by describing what was going on in the TV world even from outside. I... wish I could be that useful."
"I'm really no use after all..." "Even though we have the same type of power, I wonder if things would be different if Fuuka-san was doing this. Just the other day, Fuuka-san saved everyone from a bad situation, from much further away than I could manage. If she were here, she could probably support her companions even through this fog..."

"I don't have the power to fight... I can't even give proper backup... I'm no good to anyone."

Those are just some choice quotes. It really does not get much more explicit than that. :p

I should point out this is one of the parts of Ultimax I genuinely like from a story standpoint. Rise's character development is fantastic.

PK Gaming

Like it deserves.

Why? The story is bunk regardless of the story justification, so her being a playable fighter is a strict net positive. Rise's moveset is really awesome. To Ultimax's credit, I don't think it tried to imply that support persona users were useless, given how much they hero worship Fuuka.

Her moveset potential is seriously low.

That's not the story says:

Those are just some choice quotes. It really does not get much more explicit than that. :p

Alright. We've got
Fuuka outclassing her, so she feels like she's no good.

It still doesn't mean she specifically wanted to fight. Her not being able to
is only one of the things she's beating herself up over because she feels she's let her friends down. She feels like she's inadequate as support and as a fighter.

Maybe she wouldn't be feeling so bad if she wasn't using a first-tier persona. :p

Why? The story is bunk regardless of the story justification, so her being a playable fighter is a strict net positive. Rise's moveset is really awesome.
Let me be clear. I would have had no qualms whatsoever if Rise being battle-ready wasn't included in the story.

To be fair, they had more reason to write that in than they did
Shadow Labrys
, which I felt was one of the peaks of that story.

Sophia

Alright. We've got
Fuuka outclassing her, so she feels like she's no good.

It still doesn't mean she specifically wanted to fight. Her not being able to
is only one of the things she's beating herself up over because she feels she's let her friends down. She feels like she's inadequate as support and as a fighter.

Maybe she wouldn't be feeling so bad if she wasn't using a first-tier persona. :p

See the line above where she explicitly laments not having the power to fight. You're trying to fit your own narrative onto what is perhaps one of the most cleanly defined parts of Ultimax's story, and it aint working. :p

See the line above where she explicitly laments not having the power to fight. You're trying to fit your own narrative onto what is perhaps one of the most cleanly defined parts of Ultimax's story, and it aint working. :p

She only bemoans not being able to fight in the last line you've given. The rest is how she feels Fuuka would do better than her in the situation she's in.
Does she mention wanting to fight anywhere else in this scene?

It seems my hatred of this story's starting to spread to the acceptable parts.

Sophia

She only bemoans not being able to fight in the last line you've given. The rest is how she feels Fuuka would do better than her in the situation she's in.
Does she mention wanting to fight anywhere else in this scene?

It seems my hatred of this story's starting to spread to the acceptable parts.

I'm really not going to sit here and go through the entire story mode searching for quotes for you. Yes, she wanted to fight. It's the whole point of the scene between her and
Elizabeth
even.

Remember that a Persona is a reflection of the heart. If she didn't have the desire to fight, it wouldn't have transmogrified in that way.

QuadOpto

Yup. It's typically just a placeholder. :p

Alright then! I figured it wouldn't really matter much anyway, even if it wasn't a mistake(though in hindsight I can tell it probably is.).

As for Ultimax talk: Seriously loved it. Don't even care about the shit the story gets. Still a great fighting game.

I don't know the context but Rise resolving to fight alongside the IT does seem like something that delegitimizes her role in P4. That seems like having her work backwards from what should be her and her friends' greatest moment (the events of P4). To have her move on from that and feel useless in this function in any faction... intent is all well and good, but if that's the way it comes across in some angle then I think it is the wrong way to go about it.

But maybe I'm just bothered by fighter Himiko's awful design.

EDIT: I really shouldn't even be throwing my hat into this ring, I found Arena's story to be painful enough.

wmlk

I don't know the context but Rise resolving to fight alongside the IT does seem like something that delegitimizes her role in P4. That seems like having her work backwards from what should be her and her friends' greatest moment (the events of P4). To have her move on from that and feel useless in this function in any faction... intent is all well and good, but if that's the way it comes across in some angle then I think it is the wrong way to go about it.

But maybe I'm just bothered by fighter Himiko's awful design.

EDIT: I really shouldn't even be throwing my hat into this ring, I found Arena's story to be painful enough.

You don't have to look at it the same way as the original story just because it's canon. The integrity of the story in the Arena games is obviously less than it is for the original story. That's probably intended.

The whole canon thing is just weird. It legitimizes the story in the spinoffs, though. The only difference between fanfiction and what isn't is really the legitimacy of it all.

Welp, just begun P3P because why not.

I dont have my PS2/3 connected any more and wanted to play P3.

After a couple of hours I somehow like the navigation system. Fits perfectly for a Portable version.

What's the best config for the display in Vita?

Looks like Yukiko is gonna die and I'm going to get a stupid game over screen. I faffed around doing things I wanted instead of grinding and I think it's my last day to save her. Such a shame. Guess I'll restart on easy or something. Really disappointing you can't change difficulty mid way through.

Top Bottom