• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

I'm sure you guys have heard of DarkSydePhil, well today he rage quitted Persona 3 on Easy mode and someone uploaded of video of it.

ATLUS actually commented on the video

Co0ET-gW8AEPtW3.jpg:large

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD87waPSvc4&feature=youtu.be

Kinda makes me glad I was so overpowered by that time.

Although it did make me bummed that it made it too easy.... :/

CSX

Just saw the new TV commerical featuring Morgana.

I love how they got the biker girl be the getaway driver for the group lol

Lusankya

Some people in the comments are saying the new commercial shows Morgana is male. Anyone with good Japanese skills can confirm this?

Zolo

If I remember right, Morgana has a masculine way of speaking, but that's not actually a confirmation. That said, even if Morgana's revealed to be a girl later, they may just flat out use male pronouns until that point for the localized version.

Lusankya

If I remember right, Morgana has a masculine way of speaking, but that's not actually a confirmation. That said, even if Morgana's revealed to be a girl later, they may just flat out use male pronouns until that point for the localized version.

Oh, so it's still the assumption because of the usage of "wagahai"?
Atlus themselves wouldn't confirm Morgana's gender so I assume it's either a mystery (Morgana doesn't know her origins, so maybe she doesn't know her gender?) or it's not really relevant, because she has no gender.

Her English VA makes her sound so totally female, though.

Nachos

Again though what do the thief outfits really have to do with their Persona? Anne's catsuit/Carmen? Futaba's space spy/Necronomicon? Makoto's Biker/Pope Joan?
And to repeat, you're absolutely right. I guess it's just that in my mind, a
plague doctor
mask has the least degree of symbolic flexibility of the group and that there'd be at least a bit more of a tenuous connection.

Oh, so it's still the assumption because of the usage of "wagahai"?
Atlus themselves wouldn't confirm Morgana's gender so I assume it's either a mystery (Morgana doesn't know her origins, so maybe she doesn't know her gender?) or it's not really relevant, because she has no gender.

Her English VA makes her sound so totally female, though.
Probably a combination of the pronoun usage, Persona, and the fact that in the prologue, Morgana's name is listed as "Boyish Voice." The character's obviously trying to be masculine, but that doesn't mean they are. But the last example works the opposite way, because all the other guy party members are each listed as "Boy's Voice."

artsi

Probably a combination of the pronoun usage, Persona, and the fact that in the prologue, Morgana's name is listed as "Boyish Voice." The character's obviously trying to be masculine, but that doesn't mean they are. But the last example works the opposite way, because all the other guy party members are each listed as "Boy's Voice."

Yeah, Morgana insists that she's a human, despite very obviously being a cat. But the whole point of bakeneko seems to be that they want to be humans (walking on two legs, dress in clothes, speaking human, shapeshifting etc) so it makes sense.

Stories about Bakeneko suggest that the favorite form to shift into for these devious cats is their owners or other humans. This change reportedly makes the cats so happy that they put napkins on their heads and dance.

I assume being both human and a masculine man is something she wants (for reasons unknown), despite actually being something else.

Deceiving appearances seem to apply to her persona too, Zorro looks like a tough fighter but is actually stacked with healing skills.

Setsu00

Yeah, Morgana insists that she's a human, despite very obviously being a cat. But the whole point of bakeneko seems to be that they want to be humans (walking on two legs, dress in clothes, speaking human, shapeshifting etc) so it makes sense.

I assume being both human and a masculine man is something she wants (for reasons unknown), despite actually being something else.

Deceiving appearances seem to apply to her persona too, Zorro looks like a tough fighter but is actually stacked with healing skills.

Well, actually, Morgana only says that they are not a cat. Morgana never says that they are human, at least not in the the pre-release material we've seen so far. I think it's interesting both from a psychologic and a linguistic point of view that one of Morgana's lines in the third trailer is "猫じゃねぇ!我輩はモルガナだ!" ("I'm not a cat! I am Morgana!").

Edit: Morgana said they are human in the new CM. Whoops.

But I guess it is kind of telling that Morgana's Persona is the most human Persona out of any mascot character: Koromaru's was obviously a dog and Teddie's was a doll. Aigis was elevated to P3's image character due to her popularity and her initial Persona was a statue.
This train of thought does have some strange implications about Makoto and Futaba, now that I think about it ...

artsi

Well, actually, Morgana only says that they are not a cat. Morgana never says that they are human, at least not in the the pre-release material we've seen so far. I think it's interesting both from a psychologic and a linguistic point of view that one of Morgana's lines in the third trailer is "猫じゃねぇ!我輩はモルガナだ!" ("I'm not a cat! I am Morgana!").

She flat out says she's a human at 0:13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5Mnk5UN9o

But I guess it is kind of telling that Morgana's Persona is the most human Persona out of any mascot character: Koromaru's was obviously a dog and Teddie's was a doll. Aigis was elevated to P3's image character due to her popularity and her initial Persona was a statue.
This train of thought does have some strange implications about Makoto and Futaba, now that I think about it ...
I never saw Koromaru as a mascot.
He doesn't even appear in the opening of the game and only has a small role.
When I think of a mascot type character I think of something like Pikachu.
He appears in a lot of merchandise and plays a pretty big role in the anime (Even has a version of the game just made for him )
Teddie has a pretty large role in the game and has a lot of interactions with the player. He also appears in a lot of merchandise and is even in the logo of one of the spin off games.
Morgana will be pretty similar I think. Large presence in the plot and the merchandise.
To me Koromaru wasn't really much of a mascot but more just a goofy party member that needed to be there so that you had someone with Mudo skills.
He is more like Cait Sith then someone like Teddie/Morgana/Pikachu.

Setsu00

I never saw Koromaru as a mascot.
He doesn't even appear in the opening of the game and only has a small role.
When I think of a mascot type character I think of something like Pikachu.
He appears in a lot of merchandise and plays a pretty big role in the anime (Even has a version of the game just made for him )
Teddie has a pretty large role in the game and has a lot of interactions with the player. He also appears in a lot of merchandise and is even in the logo of one of the spin off games.
Morgana will be pretty similar I think. Large presence in the plot and the merchandise.
To me Koromaru wasn't really much of a mascot but more just a goofy party member that needed to be there so that you had someone with Mudo skills.
He is more like Cait Sith then someone like Teddie/Morgana/Pikachu.

"Mascot" was bad wording, yes. It didn't stop them from grouping Koromaru with Teddie in PQ, though. I'm not trying to deride Morgana (I don't think we've seen enough of the characters to properly judge them), I simply wanted to point out that similiar characters had less human Personas than Morgana.

lilty

I ordered the Junes shirt. Been looking for that for awhile so I'm happy it's finally up. Not thrilled about the shipping price to Canada but what can you do.

artsi

I thought she was saying "Baka neko" myself (I have zero idea if that'd even work, grammatically though. No knowledge of Japanese beyond a few words), but could be that, huh.

Nah, I'm positive she says bakeneko.

It seems like the audio is from the first scene where Morgana transforms from a cat to a... larger cat and Anne reacts to it. Yusuke also asks "What is this?" before that.

Well actually what Anne says could even be from a later scene. We've seen in previous trailers that they use clever editing where they mix audio and video that don't have much to do with each other. It's certainly not from the escape scene.

Zolo

It looks like the escape sequence is from the first dungeon. Anne just seems to call Morgana that because it's what she sees as the closest comparison.

Frimaire

Oh, cool, I have that Tartarus shirt already, but it started getting some holes in it recently...
I looked for a replacement on their site a little while ago, but I couldn't find it again.
I guess Sanshee just started selling it again recently.
I remember I got a different P4 shirt from them, too, but I guess they decided not to restock that one...

Setsu00

So... she refers to herself as "an admirable human being" then in the next scene refers to herself as an animal...

I'm guessing she doesn't literally think she's human. Probably more in the sense of "person" or "sentient being".

Morgana doesn't call herself an animal in the Japanese dialogue. That was a decision by the translator and I don't agree with him as it causes some problems with Morgana's characterization.

cj_iwakura

FYI, Catherine is a main stage event at CEOTaku this year. I'll be in attendance, so I hope some of you can show up. This is supposed to be Cathy's year, so let's show and prove.

http://ceogaming.org/ceotaku

I'm not satisfied with second place. I'm after the Dacidbro throne.

Zolo

I'm currently going through Catherine after beating the game myself. Currently stuck on stage 55 of Rapunzel. I also got to Axis Mundi, but I know enough to not seriously attempt it on single player.

cj_iwakura

I'm currently going through Catherine after beating the game myself. Currently stuck on stage 55 of Rapunzel. I also got to Axis Mundi, but I know enough to not seriously attempt it on single player.

Axis Mundi is a complete waste of time on the US version. Don't even bother unless you hate yourself. Get the JP version if you really want to play it. Even then, it's HELL, but at least you can play it.

For the trophy, that's easy. 2P mode.

artsi

So... she refers to herself as "an admirable human being" then in the next scene refers to herself as an animal...

I'm guessing she doesn't literally think she's human. Probably more in the sense of "person" or "sentient being".

I agree with Setsu, IMO translator chose the wrong wording there, it's more like she says "don't throw living beings".

RocBase

FYI, Catherine is a main stage event at CEOTaku this year. I'll be in attendance, so I hope some of you can show up. This is supposed to be Cathy's year, so let's show and prove.

http://ceogaming.org/ceotaku

I'm not satisfied with second place. I'm after the Dacidbro throne.

Nice! Catherine was the highlight of EVO for me, so def looking forward to this. Hope it continues to gain more traction.

YANK THAT THRONE FROM RIGHT UNDER HIM

daevious

As much as Atlus themselves have admitted to making the main game too difficult, it's a credit to their skills as developers that they made a game with enough mechanical depth to facilitate a competitive scene at all. This is especially impressive considering that it's in a genre that's outside their comfort zone.

I thought I had read that this week's Famitsu would cover the "extraordinary life" aspect of P5, and I was hoping for some pictures of Goro's thief outfit. Since there wasn't anything actually in the magazine, I'm guessing that was a mistranslation then?

I thought I had read that this week's Famitsu would cover the "extraordinary life" aspect of P5, and I was hoping for some pictures of Goro's thief outfit. Since there wasn't anything actually in the magazine, I'm guessing that was a mistranslation then?

Probably, I heard various things which were supposed to be in this issue.

Definatly something in Dengeki Playstation next week though, although it will probably just be recapping old info.

Top Bottom