• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

It was different around the time because there wasn't an overload of Persona 1 remakes to sully the experience. Seeing what the fan favorites were up to and how they matured was like a very special extra, "and then..." that was welcomed by the fandom around the time of the P2 games. The updated designs and new info were widely accepted and welcomed.
That's what I thought, thanks for the answer :D

Yeah, the Treasure Box should just be the box
I thought that was the case, but in the pictures Chrono Helix posted (which are great by the way) it looks like the artbook is larger than the box. It's probably just due to the perspective on the photo, but I figured I might as well ask.

Regarding the return of Philemon and Nyarlathotep, I agree that it may not be the best thing to have them always be behind everything, but I'd still like some reference to their existence. It seems a bit weird to me how important they were in P1 and P2 and then how they were nowhere to be seen (except the butterfly) in P3, P4 and related spin-offs.

Zolo

According to more impressions,
it looks like Anne's been getting car rides from Kamoshida...and the scene with her hood up was most likely to stop her from being recognized when getting out.

Seems like we have more info about the title screen too:

All the characters are grey silhouettes with white masks, so the Goro = Plague Mask theory is just based off seeing his silhouette.

jzbluz

Everyone being able to switch Personas with the One More system would be a very bad idea.

I personally like that everyone else has set skills, strengths, and weaknesses. Making sure the MC has the Personas necessary to keep everything covered, and not being able to just remove any unwanted weaknesses from everyone else keeps things interesting to me.

They could probably rebalance the difficulty level. I want to say SMTIV manages it, but the difficulty in that game ends up dropping pretty soon. I just don't really like how the MC is this unique snow flake. I guess I just don't enjoy self-inserts that much.

According to more impressions,
it looks like Anne's been getting car rides from Kamoshida...and the scene with her hood up was most likely to stop her from being recognized when getting out.

Isn't it raining?

I'm thinking of playing through Persona 4 in Japanese to get some practice and get ready for Persona 5. Could someone who has played it give me an estimate on what level of kanji to expect? Like Jouyou or JLPT, just to get an idea; I'd imagine I'll encounter a lot of weird kanji here and there (Igor, I'm looking at you), but I'd like to know what the general level is.

Also, do you guys think there's even a remote chance that Nyarlathotep and Philemon will appear in any form or shape in P5? I honestly doubt it, but I would really appreciate it.
Don't see much point in bringing them back.
Nyarlathotep and Philemon's game is over after P2EP.
Anything beyond that would just feel like rehash and
there isn't really a way to top the ending of P2IS in therms of the problems that Nyarlathotep could cause
Igor has pretty much replaced Philemon and I'm okay with that.
I like that the velvet room is a bit more plot relevant and that you get to interact more with the assistants that stay there.
I don't see what role Philemon could play that couldn't be done with Igor or one of the velvet room assistants.
Everyone being able to switch Personas with the One More system would be a very bad idea.

I personally like that everyone else has set skills, strengths, and weaknesses. Making sure the MC has the Personas necessary to keep everything covered, and not being able to just remove any unwanted weaknesses from everyone else keeps things interesting to me.
I agree with you.
I like that everyone has has set skills, strengths,weaknesses (and in the case of P4G unique skills that only they can use.)

Lusankya

Btw. Atlus were pretty quiet about Persona Fusion. In the demo you can see, that (not really spoilers, but the demo doesn't count as official info)
the ability to fuse Personas is given to you via the Fool's Social Link with Igor. I guess that means the S.Link levels up automatically and you'll get this ability early on.

Zolo

I'm curious how the people in the palace other than the protagonists work?

It's also neat to see Igor is in fact a social link it seems.

Setsu00

Btw. Atlus were pretty quiet about Persona Fusion. In the demo you can see, that (not really spoilers, but the demo doesn't count as official info)
the ability to fuse Personas is given to you via the Fool's Social Link with Igor. I guess that means the S.Link levels up automatically and you'll get this ability early on.

I can't believe Igor might actually get some character development after 20 years.

daevious

Oh yep. I was looking elsewhere, but this place has more detailed info for those interested: https://nekketsunikki.wordpress.com/2016/08/07/persona-5-august-7-demo-event-spoilersimpressions/

Hoo boy at those story spoilers, game is certainly not holding back.

ACTUAL SPOILER TALK, SPOILER DODGERS RUN FOR THE HILLS:
Ryuji being literally whacked off the track team is a depressing take on the bro character. While Anne's reasons for hating Kamoshida were blatantly obvious from day one, Ryuji's is a genuine shock for me.

Darksol

I'm thinking of playing through Persona 4 in Japanese to get some practice and get ready for Persona 5. Could someone who has played it give me an estimate on what level of kanji to expect? Like Jouyou or JLPT, just to get an idea; I'd imagine I'll encounter a lot of weird kanji here and there (Igor, I'm looking at you), but I'd like to know what the general level is.

JLPT1. Unless you're native or near-native, expect it to be difficult.

I'm going to struggle my ass off but I'm still getting it day one :)

_Ryo_

Premium demo talk

So, I'm a bit confused, the school turns into a Palace dungeon, which is a twisted version of the school in which there are real human classmates in this "School Palace" that are locked up in cells and are being tortured by Kamoshida? Do these students remember what they go through in this sort of alternate dimension, i,e their suffering, back in the "real" world? And it seems that Morgana isn't with you at the very beginning because the first time you meet her is in the school palace?

Also it's neat that you can walk to the train station to get to school instead of just clicking on the map.

Anyway, as I've predicted, this game is probably gonna be the darkest Persona in a while.

Hoo boy at those story spoilers, game is certainly not holding back.

ACTUAL SPOILER TALK, SPOILER DODGERS RUN FOR THE HILLS:
Ryuji being literally whacked off the track team is a depressing take on the bro character. While Anne's reasons for hating Kamoshida were blatantly obvious from day one, Ryuji's is a genuine shock for me.

You're right that is really depressing and fucked up. Just because some idiot advisor is too petty and egotistical to let anyone else have any sort of happiness/glory.

PROLOGUE SPOILER

I wonder if the group somehow kill Kamoshida and that's what that cop was talking about MC possibly murdering people in the Prologue?

I played through Persona 4 when I was at around N3 level. I didn't have trouble navigating battles or understanding what skills did and could get the gist of the plot and most of the dialogue in the everyday life segments. Serious scenes like news reports or the more complicated social link problems or the villain explaining his motives and why humanity deserves to decay etc. was difficult for me to understand perfectly though.

I do expect it to be difficult, but I was hoping for a bit less than JLPT1 D:

I played through Persona 4 when I was at around N3 level. I didn't have trouble navigating battles or understanding what skills did and could get the gist of dialogue in the everyday life segments. Serious scenes like news reports or the villain explaining his motives and why humanity deserves to decay etc. was difficult for me to understand perfectly though.
That's what I wanted to know thanks :D I don't expect to understand everything perfectly, but to at least get a rough idea of what they're saying and what's happening.

DNAbro

Oh yep. I was looking elsewhere, but this place has more detailed info for those interested: https://nekketsunikki.wordpress.com/2016/08/07/persona-5-august-7-demo-event-spoilersimpressions/

Daaaaaaamn

That is mega spoiler territory. Some incredibly unexpected things. Kinda want to make a separate thread about it.

One gameplay thing that I'm super excited about is the ability to
exp share with party members who aren't participating. As much as I like leveling up people individually I don't.

Rutger

Banned
They could probably rebalance the difficulty level. I want to say SMTIV manages it, but the difficulty in that game ends up dropping pretty soon. I just don't really like how the MC is this unique snow flake. I guess I just don't enjoy self-inserts that much.
They would have to get rid of All Out Attacks to start. I mean, they could just buff enemy HP, but does anyone really want to sit through an AoA at the end of every character's turn? They would have to get rid of being able to knock down an enemy to skip their turn as well.

The Press Turn system has some other things to keep it somewhat balanced like switching demons taking a turn and removing a potential turn along with the MC having an unchangeable skillset in the middle of battle, though honestly I think it's even easier to break in favor of the player than the current One More system. Even Nocturne becomes a walk in the park once the player realizes they have all the time in the world to stack buffs/debuffs that have no turn limit.

I wouldn't mind seeing seeing everyone being able to use multiple personas, but it would need to be in a different battle system because I can't see it working with the One More system without taking out a lot of the fun stuff. I thought the EO team handled it wonderfully in Persona Q. However I also enjoy the current system enough that I'll be happy if they just continue to build off of it.

I am nowhere near ready, but I really want this game so I'm preparing for the struggle. I'm going to be in over my head and I'm gonna love it!

Assuming I have the money to import it...

I played through Persona 4 when I was at around N3 level. I didn't have trouble navigating battles or understanding what skills did and could get the gist of the plot and most of the dialogue in the everyday life segments. Serious scenes like news reports or the more complicated social link problems or the villain explaining his motives and why humanity deserves to decay etc. was difficult for me to understand perfectly though.

That's about what I was expecting.

The hardest part of playing in Japanese is actually the school class questions imo

A lot of the times I'm just like 'wut da fuck is dat'

On the other hand it feels extra good when you get a lot of them right.

Setsu00

This is some very, very good shit

Ryuji to become one of the best Persona characters if they land this

It's probably worth noting that almost everyone who played the Premium Demo during the last livestream loved Ryuji afterwards according to the recent PSCV episode. I guess that's pretty telling.

Dantis

One thing I've noticed is that the P5 team seems to be more... exceptional? than previous casts. Yusuke, Futaba and now Ryuji are all shown to have a background talent in which they excel. I'm willing to bet that the others do too.

Setsu00

One thing I've noticed is that the P5 team seems to be more... exceptional? than previous casts. Yusuke, Futaba and now Ryuji are all shown to have a background talent in which they excel. I'm willing to bet that the others do too.

Gorou is the next Detective Prince, so he should count as well.

thenexus6

I am stuck on Persona 4 Golden in September..

I need to find the entrance to Naoto's dungeon. I have to find information from talking to the police, which i've done. It said I need to speak to Rise but I can't find her anywhere.. when I gather everyone at June nothing is mentioned and we split back up

lilty

I am stuck on Persona 4 Golden in September..

I need to find the entrance to Naoto's dungeon. I have to find information from talking to the police, which i've done. It said I need to speak to Rise but I can't find her anywhere.. when I gather everyone at June nothing is mentioned and we split back up

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/945498-...answers/146203-how-do-i-unlock-naotos-dungeon

If you've done all of this you should be able to enter the TV world and talk to Rise at the entrance.

Zolo

Best comic for P5 I've found thus far.

Headband.gif

The P3 cast was mostly exceptional too, but yeah. It's noticeable in P5 when even the best friend foil had something he was an ace at. I'm guessing it has to do with individuals who have exceptional qualities that get put down or taken advantage of by the society that hampers them.

Strimei

For those that haven't seen it, this post from Persona Central has some cool gameplay details.
I especially like how Anne will give you advice if negotiations are going badly.

Oh, that makes me feel so much better about negotiations. I hated them and never could understand why people wanted them back, so if someone can at least give some advice, that's so much better.

Oh, that makes me feel so much better about negotiations. I hated them and never could understand why people wanted them back, so if someone can at least give some advice, that's so much better.

You must not like fun.

Anne: Maybe you should try giving it more money...? Wait.. that didn't work... why not try insulting it? Teehee... Joker I was just kidding! Now it's pissed!

Lunar15

Makes sense, given that you're building a team of thieves. You always get experts for the different roles of a heist team: Look at Oceans Eleven and Lupin III. They're teams of experts.

For something like this, where, aside from being able to fight shadows, they also have to pull off elaborate heists with their own skills, it would actually be kind of weird if he wasn't recruiting people with exceptional talent.

Zolo

Not the biggest fan of the cliché hero saves girl and holds her in awkward position scene, but who cares.

It looks like she hangs out with Anne a lot, at least she is the only other girl shown with her in all these scenes. Also Futaba is maybe really a hardcore shut-in, she wasn't shown even once in the first three commercials.

Anne and Makoto are the only girls in the group until Futaba joins which I think the current scenes are before her joining (before unveiling Futaba on the beach anyway).

Lusankya

Anne and Makoto are the only girls in the group until Futaba joins which I think the current scenes are before her joining (before unveiling Futaba on the beach anyway).

Well, she is with them at the beach and in the last scene Makoto is wearing her winter clothes, so it should be later.

But yeah, hard to make a case on these scenes alone. :p

Top Bottom