• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

84X

Banned
posting due to peer pressure

new art

tumblr_ob91xumIOf1tky05no1_1280.png

tumblr_ob3l1xFCzj1tky05no1_1280.png

_Ryo_

I couldn't do that in highschool, much less right now.

It'd be neat if there was a gymnastics/contortionist club that you can join and she's a member.

_Ryo_

Actually, I meant THIS.

Serious answer regarding Anne:
She seems to be a member of the volleyball club, just like Yuki.

I knew what you meant. :p

Edit, No, it appears I didn't know what you meant. I thought you were talking about that one new clip in the full OP, not NCIS. O_O

I just remember in my CST class getting into all sorts of shenanigans and such when playing Unreal on LAN. We would screw around with each other and mess with each others keyboards.good times.

I just tried a ten minute demo of the game in Akihabara. I'll do a full writeup of the experience when I get home, but in the meantime post your questions. I'll answer what I can later.

daevious

I just tried a ten minute demo of the game in Akihabara. I'll do a full writeup of the experience when I get home, but in the meantime post your questions. I'll answer what I can later.

How well does the stealth system work?

Is the battle system as responsive as the menu system make it look?

Were negotiations as frustrating as they are in regular SMT?

Setsu00

I've read in some reports that Tokyo seems to be quite huge in Persona 5 and that it's easy to get lost there. How would you personally describe the size of the maps?

Where? I can get to Akiba in 20 minutes. I want to go tomorrow, haha.

Akihabara UDX, but I believe the event is already over. The demo tour will be in Osaka tomorrow.

There were two different demos, a 10 minute one which is what most people will have played, and a 2 hour one, which was more limited. A lot of the impressions we've had so far come from the 2 hour one. I think the 10 minute one is just the Art Gallery dungeon, so things like the Tokyo map and the title screen wouldn't be in it.

What do you think of the "stealth" elements?

Does the music change when you start a Hold Up?

I wasn't able to get actual gameplay footage, but I've got some pictures of the event space itself. I'll upload them later. Any host recommendations?

The ten minute demo has you, Ryuji, Anne and Morgana infiltrating the art gallery dungeon. I started out by opening the menu and admiring the various transitions lol. All stylish as hell as you can expect. I could see some of the cooperation links too. Most intriguingly, the Fool link is with
Igor, and he is referred to as the head of the prison.
I tried to open up the System menu but the staff told me not to mess with it lol. (After my ten minutes were up they'd use that menu to load a prepared save file, so maybe that was the reason? There was also a Story option I was tempted to open, possibly a recap?)

The main stage gimmick I encountered were infra-red lasers that you could press O to hop over or slide under. If you touched them or were spotted by enemies on the field a gauge would count up slowly to 100%. Defeating enemies lowered this gauge. I wasn't able to try out what happens if you fill the gauge.

The art exhibits were laid out at odd angles, instead of just 90 degree turns, so sneaking around enemies wasn't just a matter of turning corners. I noticed one of the door swas shaped like the frame of a painting, which was a nice touch.

When you get close to a corner you can press O to take cover against it and peek around. If there's suitable cover in front you can press O to dash to it, or if there's an enemy that hasn't spotted you you can press O to get first strike. You can also get this first strike by striking enemies from behind.

You have a minimap akin to Metal Gear Solid's that shows enemies' positions, but there's no visual cone indicated. They will however spot you when their model is facing you. When this happens a spotlight shines on your characters, and the aforementioned gauge goes up, and the enemy begins to chase you.

If an enemy strikes you on the field they will enter into battle surrounding you. I couldn't tell how that affected battles, but I noticed Arsene has a passive skill that grants you increased critical hit rate when your party is surrounded.

Battle observations:
Anyone can perform a baton pass after getting a One More, not just the MC. You can even chain Baton Passes, but you can't Baton Pass to a previous person in the chain.
I wasn't able to test if the MC could switch personas multiple times in a single turn.

Random observations:
The names of enemies always had 2 characters of their name highlighted. For some reason just because two enemies were of the same type the highlighted characters might not be the same.

Morgana has a Looney Tunes spiral legs run animation lol.

Enemies may beg for mercy like in SMT when you've hurt them. When that happens you can do the usual extortion or persona acquisition.

Morgana had a persona skill called Lucky Glove which has a spring-loaded punching glove strike the enemy.

That transition effect we've seen of the MC landing and then hopping off has got some neat touches. When he lands it's as though a black curtain descends behind him, and the jump off has the curtain ruffle a bit and show the previous scene before it fades out and goes to the next scene.

DID YOU SEE GORO'S THIEF OUTFIT ON THE MENU SCREEN?

Goro was not present at all.

Is the battle system as responsive as the menu system make it look?

Were negotiations as frustrating as they are in regular SMT?

You can input the commands for battles really fast, so they can zip by really fast. I didn't try out negotiating very much, but when other people were playing it, it seemed like they only had to answer the demons' questions. I don't remember seeing the demons asking for cash or items. I might be wrong though.

Where? I can get to Akiba in 20 minutes. I want to go tomorrow, haha.

It's only for today, sorry. :( It will be playable at several other locations in Japan for the rest of the month though.

I've read in some reports that Tokyo seems to be quite huge in Persona 5 and that it's easy to get lost there. How would you personally describe the size of the maps?

I was only in a single dungeon, I couldn't explore Tokyo.

Does the music change when you start a Hold Up?

Yes, there was a rock-sounding tune that I don't think we've heard in any of the streams yet. Sounded pretty cool.

Can you disable button prompts? I know it'll be kind of annoying to see O Jump or O Slide or O cover so often....

I didn't poke around the menu much, but I didn't find the prompts distracting at all.

Any word on how easy is it to get preemptive battles on enemies?

In 3 and 4 it was really simple to get them 100% of the time which kind of trivialized normal encounters. Was wondering if they put a spin on things to fix that a bit

Tamanon

Banned

In 3 and 4 it was really simple to get them 100% of the time which kind of trivialized normal encounters. Was wondering if they put a spin on things to fix that a bit

From the Day to Night video it looked relatively easy. Still had a decent amount of time to tear the mask off.

If you are behind a corner and the enemy moves within range it's just a button press for a guaranteed pre-emptive strike. I'm not sure about the angle required if you're walking around normally.

I also wasn't able to check what happens if there's two enemies and what the other would do when one is alerted to your presence.

One minor gripe I had: the victory screen without an All-Out Attack (the one where MC runs around with the red lines flying all around) seemed a little slow. I was mashing the button but you can only skip parts of the readout.

So when an all out attack triggers, the battle theme restarts? or continues from where it cut out when the Hold Up started?

There's a bit of inconsistency with button prompts between footage, so I'm assuming that they can be disabled to some degree.

What was the rest of the event like? I got the impression that it was pretty busy, and I've seen a few comments about a surprising male:female ratio too.

And imgur.com is good for image hosting.

So when an all out attack triggers, the battle theme restarts? or continues from where it cut out when the Hold Up started?

There's a bit of inconsistency with button prompts between footage, so I'm assuming that they can be disabled to some degree.

What was the rest of the event like? I got the impression that it was pretty busy, and I've seen a few comments about a surprising male:female ratio too.

And imgur.com is good for image hosting.

I think the battle theme continues from where it would have been had you been fighting normally. I wasn't listening too carefully.

I reached the venue shortly after 10am, which is when it opened. I was given a ticket number more than THREE HUNDRED, which meant I had to come back at 3pm to play. They had about 10 demo stations set up. I think the male:female ratio was 7:3 or 8:2. There were at least 30 people in the queue at all times.

Regarding battle initiation, P3 and P4 had the MC swing a weapon and the battle starting if it connected, but here it seems like timing isn't important at all. If you see the prompt you can press it. Depending on your angle of approach, you can get the leap and rip mask animation, or a simpler attack animation.

Does anybody know if there is any artwork for Bres, Reiji's Persona from P1? Preferably by Kaneko?

Can't find anything. Not sure there was ever even an official P1 artbook released. Although Kaneko Kazuma - Character Graphics Pandaemonium seems to have some early Persona stuff.

I did find this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Persona-Shi...b029939&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=311565273266 by the manga's illustrator, that might have it, or there might be something in the manga itself, although that wouldn't be Kaneko.

Strimei

Oh.

My.

God.

I was SO hoping for this, since they're both at the Thursday Matsuri, but it was confirmed, Lotus Juice and Shihoko Hirata are doing autographs at Otakon!

Oh god oh god oh god what do I get signed?! I've got like four different OSTs!

Nachos

Anyone can perform a baton pass after getting a One More, not just the MC. You can even chain Baton Passes, but you can't Baton Pass to a previous person in the chain.
Were there any other restrictions on that? I could see that making random battles really one-sided depending on party composition.

Oh.

My.

God.

I was SO hoping for this, since they're both at the Thursday Matsuri, but it was confirmed, Lotus Juice and Shihoko Hirata are doing autographs at Otakon!

Oh god oh god oh god what do I get signed?! I've got like four different OSTs!
Oh, you're going, too?

Strimei

Oh, you're going, too?

Yup. Early birthday present thing, where I get to blow more of my money! Heh.

Also figures I would move away from the DC area after Otakon makes plans to move to it in 2017, would've been so much easier and less of a trip.

Were there any other restrictions on that? I could see that making random battles really one-sided depending on party composition.

Didn't have time to discover any more. Maybe there'll be a boss battle in the game that punishes you for using Baton Touch (shrug).

Or even a boss that could do it against you...

Oh, I think the mechanics for losing a turn are more like P4's than P3's. If you get hit by your weak element you'll get dazed, but when your turn comes around you'll recover and have it normally. I wasn't able to confirm what happens if you get hit by your weak element again.

It all depends on how battles are balanced. I assume that the game will at least be balanced with baton touch in mind, not like it's a feature being added in a later release without re-balancing the rest of the game in consideration of it.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions has you doing up to 18 attacks in one turn and is still one of the better balanced Atlus RPGs.

Rutger

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if random battles feel a little one sided, trying to kill the enemies before they have a chance to kill you has always felt like the goal of the Press Turn and One More battle systems to me.

Well, I'm sure I'll still enjoy it far more that P2's combat, so I'm not concerned.

Sophia

I need to watch the footage again, but if I recall correctly it looked like P3 style rules were in play for One More. That'll limit the usefulness of Baton Pass somewhat if true.

Setsu00

Can't find anything. Not sure there was ever even an official P1 artbook released. Although Kaneko Kazuma - Character Graphics Pandaemonium seems to have some early Persona stuff.

I did find this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Persona-Shi...b029939&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=2&sd=311565273266 by the manga's illustrator, that might have it, or there might be something in the manga itself, although that wouldn't be Kaneko.

It's a shame that P1 has only very few artwork that's publically available. Anyway, the manga seems like a good idea, so thanks for that idea. I guess I'll have to read the manga then, but I heard it was a good adaption.

It's a shame that P1 has only very few artwork that's publically available. Anyway, the manga seems like a good idea, so thanks for that idea. I guess I'll have to read the manga then, but I heard it was a good adaption.
Having played the game and read the manga recently, I can tell you it was pretty good. It fleshes out the character better than the game imho, and also integrates the SQQ into the main storyline which was pretty cool. It does also add something more to the story and background.

Forgive me for the silly question, but is the "Treasure Box" in the 20th Anniversary Edition just the box in which the other stuff is contained or is it something else entirely?

In other news, I have just finished watching a playthrough of Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment (even though I didn't hate it, I really couldn't bear 60-80 more hours after playing P1). I'd say that the story is definitely the best one out of the series, especially if we consider the duology as one (kinda the same as Kill Bill).
The characters' presentation definitely improved from the first game, giving them way more dialogues and interaction, making me know them better and care for them; this is especially true for IS, and slightly less for EP, in my opinion. I would have loved more voice over, as it really helps understanding the characters better.
I found it especially interesting to see how many themes and character "traits" (so-to-speak) made their way into the later games, P4 in particular: Chie and Rise, for example, share quite a bit with Lisa (especially if we consider how she was going to try and become an idol); rumours and Shadow-selves are pretty close to the Midnight Channel and the Shadows in P4.

I was wondering, how did you guys feel (for whoever was around when these games came out especially) about all the characters returning from P1? I recall reading a lot of people saying they didn't want anyone from P3/4 coming back in P5, was it different in this case because the P1 characters hadn't been part of so many spin-offs? I got to say I did really enjoy it, as I liked seeing more of them and how they changed in a few years (much like I really enjoyed the P4G Epilogue, even though it was a much smaller gap in time).
Also, do you guys think there's even a remote chance that Nyarlathotep and Philemon will appear in any form or shape in P5? I honestly doubt it, but I would really appreciate it.

Forgive me for the silly question, but is the "Treasure Box" in the 20th Anniversary Edition just the box in which the other stuff is contained or is it something else entirely?

In other news, I have just finished watching a playthrough of Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment (even though I didn't hate it, I really couldn't bear 60-80 more hours after playing P1). I'd say that the story is definitely the best one out of the series, especially if we consider the duology as one (kinda the same as Kill Bill).
The characters' presentation definitely improved from the first game, giving them way more dialogues and interaction, making me know them better and care for them; this is especially true for IS, and slightly less for EP, in my opinion. I would have loved more voice over, as it really helps understanding the characters better.
I found it especially interesting to see how many themes and character "traits" (so-to-speak) made their way into the later games, P4 in particular: Chie and Rise, for example, share quite a bit with Lisa (especially if we consider how she was going to try and become an idol); rumours and Shadow-selves are pretty close to the Midnight Channel and the Shadows in P4.

I was wondering, how did you guys feel (for whoever was around when these games came out especially) about all the characters returning from P1? I recall reading a lot of people saying they didn't want anyone from P3/4 coming back in P5, was it different in this case because the P1 characters hadn't been part of so many spin-offs? I got to say I did really enjoy it, as I liked seeing more of them and how they changed in a few years (much like I really enjoyed the P4G Epilogue, even though it was a much smaller gap in time).
Also, do you guys think there's even a remote chance that Nyarlathotep and Philemon will appear in any form or shape in P5? I honestly doubt it, but I would really appreciate it.

It was different around the time because there wasn't an overload of Persona 1 remakes to sully the experience. Seeing what the fan favorites were up to and how they matured was like a very special extra, "and then..." that was welcomed by the fandom around the time of the P2 games. The updated designs and new info were widely accepted and welcomed.

I think Philemon and Nyarl are pretty much retired. Igor seemed to have subsumed the position of Philemon in total with his attendants. I do miss the dynamic but the themes that were present in the first few games are still there, it's just that the catalyst has changed. That said, I would at the very least like a bit more of a nod to characters having played the Persona game at some point instead of just getting Persona capability.

Yeah, the Treasure Box should just be the box

Personas 1, 2 and the Devil Summoner games to a degree were sort of going for a more overlapping universe with their characters. Whereas P3 and 4 don't even follow the same rules with regards to things like Personas and you only have the spinoffs which came much later which tie them together more.

There's no real reason to bring back Nyarlathotep as an antagonist. Philemon could work, but Igor's pretty much fulfilling the mentor role now anyway, so he'd be redundant.

Sophia

Yeah, the Treasure Box should just be the box

Personas 1, 2 and the Devil Summoner games to a degree were sort of going for a more overlapping universe with their characters. Whereas P3 and 4 don't even follow the same rules with regards to things like Personas and you only have the spinoffs which came much later which tie them together more.

There's no real reason to bring back Nyarlathotep as an antagonist. Philemon could work, but Igor's pretty much fulfilling the mentor role now anyway, so he'd be redundant.

Philemon would work if Igor himself was playing second fiddle, instead of having his own assistants like right now.

To be fair, didn't Igor have an entourage in the earlier games? (Not necessarily 'assistants', but still)

They all served Philemon's purpose though. Igor was the medium. Belladona sung them into existence after Igor used the devil phone as a medlum. Nanashi played the tunes to assist in Belladona's songs and Devil Painter helped with making cards. It was a system based on equality instead of subservience as it is now.

cj_iwakura

I believe Philemon and Nyarlathotep are gone for the same reason most of the P2 cast are; out of respect for Satomi Tadashi's creations.

jzbluz

I'm fine with not having Philemon and Nyarlathotep back; recurring villains can get pretty lame anyway. What I do miss from the Philemon days are multiple persona users that aren't part of the main cast, everyone (playable at least) having the "wild card", and the lack of weirdness censor.

Rutger

Banned
Everyone being able to switch Personas with the One More system would be a very bad idea.

I personally like that everyone else has set skills, strengths, and weaknesses. Making sure the MC has the Personas necessary to keep everything covered, and not being able to just remove any unwanted weaknesses from everyone else keeps things interesting to me.

Top Bottom