• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

daevious

Rumor that FFXV has a delay. I'm sure Atlus is happy about that if it's true.

Where's this rumor coming from? It'll certainly give the Japanese release some breathing room, but there's also the chance it'll clash with the US/Europe release instead and that's far worse.

#NoMoreSpinoffs

Just a few tweaks to this
1290250-nomoremutantscp.jpg

I pretty much exhausted my bullshitting powers after that release date prediction, but something like Kaito Kageyama would sound fitting. "Kaito" is nearly homophone with "Kaitou" ("Phantom thief"), while "Kageyama" literally means "shadow mountain" as an allusion to his actions during the night.
I'll take this as a prediction then, thanks ;D I'll go for 影山海翔, if I remember that one month from now.

silva1991

Do we know if we can pause even in every cutscene even the anime ones to translate if needed? I haven't played any big game since Uncharted 4 and after the FFXV 2 month delay rumor it's almost inevitable for me to import it :/

Mediking

Do we know if we can pause even in every cutscene even the anime ones to translate if needed? I haven't played any big game since Uncharted 4 and after the FFXV 2 month delay rumor it's almost inevitable for me to import it :/

Pause in an animated cut scene...? Uhhh...well.... I don't think we will be able to pause in those.

Zolo

You can always just use the PS button to back out to the playstation's menu in the PS3 version at least where the screen is still visible.

Rutger

Banned
??? That doesn't work for all games. Some games doesn't care if you hit the Home Button and will still run.

The anime cutscenes pause in Catherine when you go to the home menu. This may not guarantee anything for P5, but it's worth noting.

If you miss anything though, just reload the save. Or maybe the scene will already have been uploaded to Youtube.

If you miss anything though, just reload the save. Or maybe the scene will already have been uploaded to Youtube.
Also, I'd imagine the P5 Fan Guide that is being made by TradukoSoft will add something for the cutscenes, considering it seems to be aimed at those who are studying the language.

Mediking

For those who are cool enough to get the Japanese version.... please share how you learned Japanese!!!!! Was it in college? High school? There's a intro to Japanese class at my college but I don't wanna get quizzed over learning Japanese!

_Ryo_

For those who are cool enough to get the Japanese version.... please share how you learned Japanese!!!!! Was it in college? High school? There's a intro to Japanese class at my college but I don't wanna get quizzed over learning Japanese!

Eh, while you can learn Hiragana and Katakana in like a week, you're probably - most definitely not gonna be able to learn the grammar, and the vocab to be able to understand story details in a month... I think you'll need at least understanding of the stuff on JLPT N4/N5 before truly grasping the conversations and story, and even then Futaba is a bit of a nerd so she may speak with a certain dialect or slag, which will be even more difficult to understand.

You can understand Menus and Gameplay related stuff though.

_Ryo_

That's all I really need until the NA release.

In that case I think there's some people that are doing an import guide that will have all the basic stuff translated that's gonna be released for free online.

But there will probably be cases like where an NPC tells you to take a certain train and a specific path through the city that you'll just have to bruteforce your way through.

Setsu00

I learned the basics by myself during my high school time and then took some advanced courses in my university. Also you should probably just bite the bullet and get quizzed over it. If you don't force yourself to learn the language, it won't work.

Eh, while you can learn Hiragana and Katakana in like a week, you're probably - most definitely not gonna be able to learn the grammar, and the vocab to be able to understand story details in a month... I think you'll need at least understanding of the stuff on JLPT N4/N5 before truly grasping the conversations and story, and even then Futaba is a bit of a nerd so she may speak with a certain dialect or slag, which will be even more difficult to understand.

You can understand Menus and Gameplay related stuff though.

Futaba shouldn't be a problem. Igor and his assistants as well as some Persona dialogue will be probably melt your head due to their archaisms.

PK Gaming

Please

If you watch enough anime you'll definitely be able to understand the entire game

Here are some example

"EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?" means Huh?!
"[words]-desu" means that annoying thing that Aigis does
"ZENKAI NO RABU RAIBU" means previously on Love Live!

Sophia

For shame, Sophia!

You don't see me hoping it gets released on my birthday!

The fact that it's over a month after Feb 14th has nothing to do with this btw

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)

The pre-order is my birthday gift from my parents. :D

I learned the basics by myself during my high school time and then took some advanced courses in my university. Also you should probably just bite the bullet and get quizzed over it. If you don't force yourself to learn the language, it won't work.

Truer words have never been spoken.

If you want to learn another language, especially Japanese, you need to dedicate yourself to it. A quick mid-term study it is not.

Please

If you watch enough anime you'll definitely be able to understand the entire game

Here are some example

"EHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?" means Huh?!
"[words]-desu" means that annoying thing that Aigis does
"ZENKAI NO RABU RAIBU" means previously on Love Live!

Aigis uses "de arimasu" as a sentence ender, not "desu"

: |

artsi

You could pause them in Catherine (via XMB), but who knows what they'll do with Persona 5.
But I doubt there's a lot of those. And at least the normal cutscenes / dialogue have a log now, you can replay all past dialogue if you need to.

Internet, taught myself.

DNAbro

Just finished watching P3:Winter of Rebirth. Liked it a lot but there was definitely some problems. I don't know why but I completely fanboyed over the Arcana speech, one of my fav things about the P3 final boss.

Just finished watching P3:Winter of Rebirth. Liked it a lot but there was definitely some problems. I don't know why but I completely fanboyed over the Arcana speech, one of my fav things about the P3 final boss.

Watched it twice now.

It's good, but not as good as it could have been. They take A LOT of liberties with the story, and some of them work really well, but a lot of them dont.

And I dont know if this is just because of the transition from game to film, but the ending loses A LOT of impact.

Watched it twice now.

It's good, but not as good as it could have been. They take A LOT of liberties with the story, and some of them work really well, but a lot of them dont.

And I dont know if this is just because of the transition from game to film, but the ending loses A LOT of impact.

ohhhh noooo...
*tries to hold back manic grin*

Mediking

Thanks for all the advice regarding learning Japanese. I appreciate it. The only Japanese stuff I barely know is the "-san" and "-kun" and "-onee" and "-chan" and "konnichiwa". That's the basic stuff manga has taught me. Lol

A long time ago... Shonen Jump would have sections in their magazines trying to teach their worldwide readers some Japanese but I always skipped passed them because I wanted to read about Ichigo Kurosaki in Bleach (one of my favorite manga). Lol

Sophia

For anyone who's interested in learning Japanese in their spare time, I recommend the following Android apps as a starting point: iStart Japanese! and Obenkyo

The former will start teaching you basic lessons. The latter you can use to start memorizing kana and later kanji. Obenkyo is free too.

Mediking

For anyone who's interested in learning Japanese in their spare time, I recommend the following Android apps as a starting point: iStart Japanese! and Obenkyo

The former will start teaching you basic lessons. The latter you can use to start memorizing kana and later kanji. Obenkyo is free too.

Thank you, Sophia-san!!!! I am in my yukata and I'm bowing to you!!!!

I'll add to this Akebi, which you can use as a dictionary (with both vocabs and kanji lookup, as well as example sentences), to review vocab (thanks to flashcard tests), and learn kanji (the app will show the meaning and readings, and from that you have to draw it).
I have been using it mostly for that last feature and I love it :D (The stroke recognition is way better in the beta version of the app, for whoever is interested).

Top Bottom