• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

8ZPjeEp.jpg

arue

There are some interesting ideas coming out of that P4D screenshot + caption contest.

"Nanako, wait for me!"
"Leave me alone, dad!"
This is just the perfect shot.
I'm confused as to why that poster calls it Winter of Memories though. I thought it was Rebirth
Huh I just noticed that. Maybe they changed the name or it's just a mistake. Pretty weird move if they changed the name after releasing the first promo image though.

Edit: Looks like Winter of Memories is the official title now. I like it a lot better.

Because I'd personally prefer to not have a fourth Persona 3 release, even if many others seem to want that.

The problem with P3P is that, while it improves a few things, especially in the new campaign, it still strips out important features to accommodate the PSP.

Not to mention The Answer, as tedious as it is in both gameplay and characterization, is important and could use some improvements of its own.

Dantis

I'd take a definitive P3 release, for sure.

Pretty interested to know what the next spinoff is in general tbh. I feel like PQ2 has to happen at some point soon. It did too well to not do.

cj_iwakura

I'd take a definitive P3 release, for sure.

Pretty interested to know what the next spinoff is in general tbh. I feel like PQ2 has to happen at some point soon. It did too well to not do.

If you mean the B team, I'm hoping it's either Devilizer(if that's still a thing), Devil Survivor 3, or maybe they've begun plans on SMTV.

I assume Raidou is done, but I wouldn't mind another Devil Summoner.

Dantis

If you mean the B team, I'm hoping it's either Devilizer(if that's still a thing), Devil Survivor 3, or maybe they've begun plans on SMTV.

I assume Raidou is done, but I wouldn't mind another Devil Summoner.

I mean the Persona B team, not the other Atlus team.

Although I am interested to know where Doi is nowadays. I wonder if he's working on P5 for sub-characters.

FluxWaveZ

That's a really weird way to put it. P Studio, Team Maniax, the Etrian Odyssey team and the Devil Survivor team are separate and they're all analogous to me; I don't consider any of them to be a "B team."

Sophia

Although I am interested to know where Doi is nowadays. I wonder if he's working on P5 for sub-characters.

The "Persona B team" are the other Atlus teams. Who do you think worked on Persona 4 Golden? :p

(Hint: The members of the P4G team worked on Soul Hackers 3DS, Strange Journey, and Devil Survivor, among other thing.)

That's a really weird way to put it. P Studio, Team Maniax, the Etrian Odyssey team and the Devil Survivor team are separate and they're all analogous to me; I don't consider any of them to be a "B team."

More than that, they seem to be pretty fluid in regards to who works at what nowadays. There's a bit of cross-over despite clear teams.

Yomidi

Unfortunately if you didnt finish
Marie's
S.link, you miss out on some extra content.

Oh, and on your last day in town. Instead of going home when it tells you too, why not visit the food court one last time, you know, for nostalgia...........seriously.

you missed a bonus dungeon from
s-linking marie I think

by the way, you should visit every single location before you leave town. For the memories, y'know.

Aw, that's a bummer. Well, I'll probably play it again some time.
And I'll amke sure to visit the town on my last day.....for the memories.

cj_iwakura

I see the major projects like Catherine and P5 as being from the A team, everything else as being from the B team. Not really meant to say they're less talented, but they do get resigned to the handheld projects.

FluxWaveZ

I see the major projects like Catherine and P5 as being from the A team, everything else as being from the B team. Not really meant to say they're less talented, but they do get resigned to the handheld projects.

I guess can see it from that perspective; P Studio is likely Atlus' most renowned development studio, so their projects will have the bigger budgets. Still, though backed by Nintendo, there's #FE which seems to be pretty much a mix of all Atlus teams coming together for a console title, and I bet we'll be seeing some cool stuff in the future from the other teams.

More than that, they seem to be pretty fluid in regards to who works at what nowadays. There's a bit of cross-over despite clear teams.

The brunt of the teams behind Atlus developed games will definitely be composed of the same people due to how small the studio is. I think when they delineate their teams, it's mainly to create a clear divide between the creative leads (e.g. Hashino, Koshiro, Yamai, etc.) and let fans know what to expect, or anticipate.

Who works on what isn't what I was talking about anyway. I'm just curious as to what the next Persona spinoff will be.

[PQ] After all the Etrian Odyssey spin-offs and remakes, the EO team will likely be focusing on EOV right now.
[P4A] Arc System Works has explicitly said they can't work on 3 big fighting games at once in regards to P4U, and they're currently working on the next iterations of Xrd and BB.
[P4D] Though they expressed interest in a Persona 3 Dancing game, that seems rather nebulous right now and it's not like they'll be collaborating with Dingo again, at least not like how they announced they would initially with P4D.

Things are at a weird spot now; I don't think we'll be seeing a spin-off for a while (technically the Pachinko machine is one, but I assume this is about dedicated console/handheld games), and I have no idea what it would be, despite whatever successes previous ones might have had. it could be a whole new thing in a new genre, aimed for Persona 5.

Platinum has many collaborations with other developers, and I could see them eventually having a project going on with Atlus. Given the flashy nature of their games, Persona would probably be the Atlus series to have that collaboration with.

That survey Atlus put out in March had some pretty specific ideas asking what fans would want to see next. Concepts such as time traveling, a violent Battle Royale scenario, and fighting hordes of angels and demons. If I were to bet, the next spin-off would concern something like that, derived from the main SMT series.

Setsu00

Doi is probably working on whatever the Maniax team is developing. Kobayashi seems like a more likely candidate for P5 considering that he already worked on PQ and P4D.

FluxWaveZ

A few milestones to consider:
  • 2016 is Atlus' 30th anniversary.
  • 2016 is the Persona series' 20th anniversary.
  • 2016 is Persona 3's 10th anniversary.

A few milestones to consider:
  • 2016 is Atlus' 30th anniversary.
  • 2016 is the Persona series' 20th anniversary.
  • 2016 is Persona 3's 10th anniversary.

3 anniversaries. I'm almost concerned they'll do jack shit just to surprise us.

seriously though a 4th release is just ridiculous

Doesn't matter as long as we get a good game out of it.
I mean, I have a laundry list of issues with P3, but I want to straight-up love it.

Xenoflare

If a definitive release of P3 in the west means Wendee Lee voices Fuuka I'll buy it.

Plus I always has a bias towards P3 than P4 despite of that fact that I enjoyed the latter more.

Imagine a P3 game where you can manually select inherited skills.

seriously though a 4th release is just ridiculous

FluxWaveZ

I swear I saw Winter of Memories when I visited the official website before I edited the post. I guess Rebirth is still the official one :x

The poster definitely said "Winter of Memories," but the logo always said "Winter of Rebirth." At some point, it seems they've stealthily changed the poster to "Winter of Rebirth."

So strange. Wonder what the "Memories" thing is all about. Maybe a preliminary subtitle for the fourth film that they had before they finalized it to "Rebirth." Maybe they designed the promo poster before they finalized the title, and forgot about the text change before today's update.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Off topic, but I got put onto Danganronpa by people in this thread, and wondered if any of you had played, or were interested in trying, Steins Gate? It has been out on PS3/Vita in EU for a while now, and is coming out in NA soon.

It's really good. Takes a long time to get going and you 'do' a lot less in it than the other visual novel style games I've played (basically just Danganronpa and Phoenix Wright tbh, it's not a genre I've had huge exposure to) but once you get hooked on the story it's difficult to put down.

Anyway, seems like the kind of thing that'd be up a lot of people's street, so I thought I'd mention it.

Guess Winter of Memories was a mistake, shame, that was a much better title.

I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus' next big thing was an attempt to create a new franchise, either via a Megaten spinoff or something new. Something like Persona that they can then spinoff from and make anime adaptations and similar. Right now that's how they seem to be treating Persona and Etrian Odyssey, and Devil Survivor 2 got a similar treatment as well a while back. I'm actually a little surprised that there hasn't been an attempt at making an Etrian anime yet.

And yeah, Steins;Gate is decent. I played it recently too. Took a while for me to get into it due to how annoying the protagonist is at the start, but it does really pick up later on. Very charecter driven, and if you like Persona or similar games, you should give it a try.

Dantis

Something pretty interesting: I was just looking through the Catherine credits to see if any other artists are listed as character designers.

Not only are none listed as character designers, no other 2D artists are listed. I'm sure there are other artists within the list, credited as designers and the like, but largely, it looks like Soejima did everything artistically.

I knew this was the case with Persona 4, but it's more interesting for Catherine due to the generational (and presumably budgetary) leap. It's so far away from what you see in the west where you have entire teams of artists.

I really hope he's still doing the lion's share of the work on P5. I really feel like something will be lost if he isn't.

Because I'd personally prefer to not have a fourth Persona 3 release, even if many others seem to want that.

Fourth release or not, there's no version of P3 out there that has everything. This must be rectified.

As an owner of Drakengard 3, I am not convinced that I agree.

DOD3 might not be a "good" game in the traditional sense, but there's nothing quite like it out there. The story and writing are phenomenal.

FluxWaveZ

Something pretty interesting: I was just looking through the Catherine credits to see if any other artists are listed as character designers.

Not only are none listed as character designers, no other 2D artists are listed. I'm sure there are other artists within the list, credited as designers and the like, but largely, it looks like Soejima did everything artistically.

The thing about Japanese video game credits is that they are wonky, and they oftentimes omit a lot of the workers who are not in a lead position. Look at programming or QA sections of a lot of the games, for example, and you'll tend to see a very small list of names which isn't indicative of the reality of the game's development. Same goes for lower rung artists.

Fourth release or not, there's no version of P3 out there that has everything. This must be rectified.

To you, but not to me. I've already experienced that game's story and characters; remakes in general tend to leave me more apathetic than many other people. I'd prefer it if they would devote the time and resources into making something new rather than making another remake.

Dantis

The thing about Japanese video game credits is that they are wonky, and they oftentimes omit a lot of the workers who are not in a lead position. Look at programming or QA sections of a lot of the games, for example, and you'll tend to see a very small list of names which isn't indicative of the reality of the game's development. Same goes for lower rung artists.

Whilst you're probably right in general, and like I say, I'm sure there were artists who contributed in some small way to Catherine, Soejima doing the large majority of the art matches what's seen in the Venus Mode art book (Where there are Soejima drawn designs for even the most minor characters, on top of things like the logo for the game), as well as what other people are credited for, such as Konishi being credited specifically for the one song that he contributed to the game (Which also isn't on either OST).

HyperInuyasha

Neo Member
Um, I don't know how to make an introductory post, but hey. I've been kinda lurking on this thread ever since the first Persona 5 trailer because I wanted to see other people's speculation on the game and I've gotten an account recently, so hi.

Um, I don't know how to make an introductory post, but hey. I've been kinda lurking on this thread ever since the first Persona 5 trailer because I wanted to see other people's speculation on the game and I've gotten an account recently, so hi.

Welcome to PersonaGAF.

You're sure to be pressed with questions, just remember there are no right or wrong answers
as long as they don't concern Ultimax's story.
:)

HyperInuyasha

Neo Member
Welcome to PersonaGAF.

You're sure to be pressed with questions, just remember there are no right or wrong answers
as long as they don't concern Ultimax's story.
:)

Ultimax had the best story, Kenji and Nozomi were the best P3 social links, and Sho is the best character in the series.

Dantis

Welcome new friend. I hope you like Naoto and dislike Ultimax's story.

EDIT: well.
You sicken me.

cj_iwakura

Ultimax was like they just doubled down on Arena's strengths and weaknesses. Lots and lots of fluff, tiny bits of wonderfulness. I didn't have the stomach to go through Episode P3 after the slog that was P4. Even Episode Adachi was dull after the (amazing) prologue. And the epilogue, what the hell.

Sure, Dojima magically forgives Adachi for terrorizing his town and his daughter! Oh Adachi, you cad! Hahahaha.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't have an introductory post when I joined this community. I remember the very first post I had on GAF was me pointing out a bit of Persona news that people got excited for in the proto-Persona Community Thread, as though I had always been a member.

Top Bottom