• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Squire

Banned
Maybe that's the thing. You see her as an addition.
Since I never played P4 on the PS2, I don't see her as an addition but an integral part of the game.
I like everything about her (slink, story arc, personality, even her dungeon!) and have trouble understanding the reasons given from ppl that don't.
But they usually are players that played the original P4.
So maybe that has something to do with it.

I think more often than not, the parts of a game that are integral to the experience can be objectively determined.

You can like Marie without labeling her in quite that way. I mean... Integral? Really?

You can finish the game having interacted with her no more than that first forced meeting at the train station. Integral, that does not make.

PK Gaming

I think more often than not, the parts of a game that are integral to the experience can be objectively determined.

You can like Marie without labeling her in quite that way. I mean... Integral? Really?

You can finish the game having interacted with her no more than that first forced meeting at the train station. Integral, that does not make.

Yeah, I played Persona 4 Golden first and it was immediately obvious to me that Marie was an afterthought.

And I can't say I cared for her either.

Acid08

Banned

She was in almost none of the important story scenes, so integral.

Sophia

I would daresay that Marie's biggest problem comes from not being integral enough. It's very obvious the development team had issues adding her to the story structure without significantly recording all new dialogue across both Japanese and English. That's why she suddenly gains importance in any section that's entirely brand new to Golden, such as
the months of January to March
which didn't have anything at all originally.

I still say Marie should have been a playable party member. But that would have required significant restructure to the game's story and just isn't feasible.

Squire

Banned
P4s cast is such a well crafted group that I think really working in Marie would've required significant overhaul of the whole screenplay for the main scenario.

I mean, her S. Link could and should have been good and there's no excuse for it not to be, given how excellent all the other ones are regardless of whether or not the character is in the party, which they're actually most likely not to be.

But it's stuff like
Chie supporting Yukiko in the castle, and Kanji's crush on Naoto, or (as much as you may dislike it) Yosuke picking on Kanji;
The scenes where they all interact or two or more of them interact are what Marie is largely missing from and those are what she'd have to be included in to really feel fully integrated.

Because as it stands, she's not a part of a rather closely knit group of friends, she's an acquaintance - more accurately a friend of a friend - that they're all nice to because they're nice people, more so anything else.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I would daresay that Marie's biggest problem comes from not being integral enough. It's very obvious the development team had issues adding her to the story structure without significantly recording all new dialogue across both Japanese and English. That's why she suddenly gains importance in any section that's entirely brand new to Golden, such as

I still say Marie should have been a playable party member. But that would have required significant restructure to the game's story and just isn't feasible.
Thats why unless she was in the main game, or at least got more overhauled, I will always just believe the developer willingly added her because they needed another magnet for the MC's Swag.

Hell, make golden a dlc spin off scenario and i would have liked her.

So I'm thinking about picking up Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Should I bother with the previous game's story or could I just watch it on Youtube and be fine? I'm mainly picking it up to have another fighter to play, and I'd thought I would ask you lovely people. :)

I recommend not bothering with the story at all. Love yourself, you don't need to put yourself through all that. <3

P4s cast is such a well crafted group that I think really working in Marie would've required significant overhaul of the whole screenplay for the main scenario.

I mean, her S. Link could and should have been good and there's no excuse for it not to be, given how excellent all the other ones are regardless of whether or not the character is in the party, which they're actually most likely not to be.

But it's stuff like
Chie supporting Yukiko in the castle, and Kanji's crush on Naoto, or (as much as you may dislike it) Yosuke picking on Kanji;
The scenes where they all interact or two or more of them interact are what Marie is largely missing from and those are what she'd have to be included in to really feel fully integrated.

Because as it stands, she's not a part of a rather closely knit group of friends, she's an acquaintance - more accurately a friend of a friend - that they're all nice to because they're nice people, more so anything else.
but that is what she is, and they don't try to present her as anything else (outside of I assume the P4G animation). She is close to Yu and everyone else recognizes her as such. It also makes
her TV confession in the golden epilogue believably surprising to the rest of the cast.

Her S.Link is also fantastic
memory loss and searching done right, with just the right amount of bringing the other characters in, but scenes like rank 8-9 with just Yu are what make it great.

And she also makes
The whole Izanami thing a lot more clear

Meia

Didn't they record the dialogue again for Golden anyway? Like, even the same VAs recorded old lines again. Least I remember that from time to time in the game.

But yeah, Marie's only problem within p4g is they were lazy about her implementation, much like with every other new addition in the game. Why balance from a gameplay perspective when you can just throw a bunch of new stuff in? But it's ok, instead of adding a Maniac mode or something, let's just make very hard where you're always underleveled, that means challenge right? :p

Drop

What if they made a definite version of persona 3 but it was male protagonist only?

Then you'd pretty much have FES, I always thought the point of a definitive version of p3 would be to have both the answer and femc in the same game, with the presentation FES has(no vn style).

Of course it would probably have all the other small features updates from p3p, but I don't see those as having the same impact as the things I said above.

JCX

I'm sorry man, Until Dawn got me tide up. We're the MDF (Marie Defense Force).

I agree with Sophia we she said Marie should have been a playable character from the get go.

Had she been playable I would not have minded her as much. I was pretty disappointed that
Rise
isn't playable, although I guess the other abilities make up for it.

Yomidi

So I've finally finished P4G
The final boss was pretty good, the music was awesome. Overall, the ending was pretty sweet.
Loved the game, the characters were really likeable and the story was engaging enough. I'm probably gonna have to replay it some time later, to do the S.Links that I didn't do(The only ones I've completed were Teddie, Yosuke, Kanji, Rise, Dojima, the Nurse and the Young Mother) and especially for the Marie dungeon that I missed in the main game :/

So I've finally finished P4G
The final boss was pretty good, the music was awesome. Overall, the ending was pretty sweet.
Loved the game, the characters were really likeable and the story was engaging enough. I'm probably gonna have to replay it some time later, to do the S.Links that I didn't do(The only ones I've completed were Teddie, Yosuke, Kanji, Rise, Dojima, the Nurse and the Young Mother) and especially for the Marie dungeon that I missed in the main game :/
on a new game plus it goes a lot faster since you keep all of your social skill ranks, you can almost entirely focus on social links. Especially if you maxed those stats during the first playthrough

It's funny how the first results for googling 'Persona 5' brings up blatantly false information:
qleOKiQ.jpg

kR7TuzZ.jpg
Apparently Persona 5 is releasing this month, and there's conflicting reports on a PC port.

gneZ7bJ.png

Persona 5 for PC will never happen but would be amazing. After that and the Phantom Pain I could put off buying a PS4 for another few years haha

Weiss

Banned
Unless it's worldwide, there's little chance of a North America release date getting announced at TGS, is there?

Unless it's worldwide, there's little chance of a North America release date getting announced at TGS, is there?

Getting a NA release date at TGS specifically is pretty unlikely, but I'd guess it would be announced a week or maybe two after the Japanese announcement, whenever that is.

So I'm thinking about picking up Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Should I bother with the previous game's story or could I just watch it on Youtube and be fine? I'm mainly picking it up to have another fighter to play, and I'd thought I would ask you lovely people. :)

You can always buy the Arena story DLC, it just adds Arena's story mode to ultimax so you don't need to get Arena

I disagree with people saying to not even get it for the story at all. It's still enjoyable

Meia

Why?

was he worst than Kenji-ass?

Nozomi used to be worse than Kenji. I mean, yeah, the idea of his social link is blindingly stupid and I don't remember any good at all coming from it, but it was mostly harmless with how idiotic he was.

Then P3P came around and introduced Rio, thus making Kenji an even WORSE character.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Nozomi used to be worse than Kenji. I mean, yeah, the idea of his social link is blindingly stupid and I don't remember any good at all coming from it, but it was mostly harmless with how idiotic he was.

Then P3P came around and introduced Rio, thus making Kenji an even WORSE character.

Oh yeah,
especially when Rio had a thing for him but he wanted that teacher booty instead.

PK Gaming

I was about to gush over how great the Jap. boxart is seeing it for the first time especially compared to the simple NA one...then I noticed Nozomi in the left corner, instantly hate it now. Hate him and his S.Link so damn much.

No worries, the other Japanese boxart is like 50 times better

82321_front.jpg

Squire

Banned
but that is what she is, and they don't try to present her as anything else (outside of I assume the P4G animation). She is close to Yu and everyone else recognizes her as such. It also makes
her TV confession in the golden epilogue believably surprising to the rest of the cast.

Her S.Link is also fantastic
memory loss and searching done right, with just the right amount of bringing the other characters in, but scenes like rank 8-9 with just Yu are what make it great.

And she also makes
The whole Izanami thing a lot more clear

I'll just respond your points in order in and say that:

-That's still weird because P4 is not a game about close friends and one acquaintance that's occasionally there. Marie is the only S. Link character in that position and not even the best one or even a good one of those at that. It's very out of place.

-Her S. Link is very schlocky. I think back to some of the scenes with Ai or Yosuke or Ayane or Kanji and the thing that made that stuff compelling was how genuine it felt. A lot of that stuff is surprisingly raw. Marie feels like rather typical melodrama from a third-rate anime. There's no complicated, layered emotion there, just the same situation every amenesiac teen girl finds herself in every run-of-the-mill sci-fi anime.

TL;DR - Nah, it's really not.

To your last thing:
The Izanami thing doesn't really need to be more clear than it is playing the vanilla game/scenario.
That's the thing about mysticism in fiction - it appeals more because of what you don't know rather than what you do. Explain to much or more than what's necessary and you run the risk of ruining it. It's demystified.

I'll just respond your points in order in and say that:

-That's still weird because P4 is not a game about close friends and one acquaintance that's occasionally there. Marie is the only S. Link character in that position and not even the best one or even a good one of those at that. It's very out of place.

-Her S. Link is very schlocky. I think back to some of the scenes with Ai or Yosuke or Ayane or Kanji and the thing that made that stuff compelling was how genuine it felt. A lot of that stuff is surprisingly raw. Marie feels like rather typical melodrama from a third-rate anime. There's no complicated, layered emotion there, just the same situation every amenesiac teen girl finds herself in every run-of-the-mill sci-fi anime.

1) but thats what many of the non party member social links are, like Ai

2) kanji is the most schlocky troped character. Ive seen way too many
tough guys witha super soft side. Hes done well enough, but hes the least interesting character for it.

Top Bottom