• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Zolo

In a way, couldn't it be victim blaming to say Kenji should be interested in Rio because of what a dumbass he is? That said, he is one. I remember hanging out with him, and he started talking about how he was going to get romantic advice from a manga he read. I told him he'd be disappointed if he thought it'd work, and he said "But it worked in the manga!". It then said our relationship was in a rut, and all I could think was "Dang it Kenji! This is why nobody likes you!"

Europe actually got that as their FES Boxart.
I'm actually more used to seeing that art since I used the game manual for its fusion chart (started getting useless for the more complicated fusions though).

In a way, couldn't it be victim blaming to say Kenji should be interested in Rio because of what a dumbass he is? That said, he is one. I remember hanging out with him, and he started talking about how he was going to get romantic advice from a manga he read. I told him he'd be disappointed if he thought it'd work, and he said "But it worked in the manga!". It then said our relationship was in a rut, and all I could think was "Dang it Kenji! This is why nobody likes you!"

Oh my god, no wonder I forgot so much of this game!

OranSky

Banned
Why?

was he worst than Kenji-ass?

I don't really see the hate for Kenji but then again he was the first S. Link i maxed so I guess im bias on him. Nozomi on the other hand was not. He was nothing but a delusional cowered and I hated having to waist time on him.

No worries, the other Japanese boxart is like 50 times better

82321_front.jpg

Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

1) but thats what many of the non party member social links are, like Ai

2) kanji is the most schlocky troped character. Ive seen way too many
tough guys witha super soft side. Hes done well enough, but hes the least interesting character for it.

Yo are you calling Kanji more of a tropey character than Marie? I don't even know how to respond to that

I don't really see the hate for Kenji but then again he was the first S. Link i maxed so I guess im bias on him. Nozomi on the other hand was not. He was nothing but a delusional cowered and I hated having to waist time on him.

Kenji was also my first max S. Link because of the Magician arcana

I still really don't like Kenji

Squire

Banned
yes, Kanji's trope extends to every form of media and genre. Marie's is mroe limited to sci fi and fantasy, and mainly anime

That's because Kanji's trope is good and relatable (and almost emblemic of P4s core themes) and Marie's is bad.

It's more like Kanji is a based on s trope that can and often is used to forge a great character while Marie's most typically begets tired cliches.

That's because Kanji's trope is good and relatable (and almost emblemic of P4s core themes) and Marie's is bad.

It's more like Kanji is a based on s trope that can and often is used to forge a great character while Marie's most typically begets tired cliches.
see, I dont find kanji relateable at all. I just find him incredibly tired. Marie I find fun and entertaining and sympathetic.

The only persona characters I find relatable are Yosuke and Naoto, everyone else that I enjoy its without any relatability.

Jintor

see, I dont find kanji relateable at all. I just find him incredibly tired. Marie I find fun and entertaining and sympathetic.

wow, you'd think kanji's "I like a thing people think a person like me shouldn't" would be an easier relate than marie's more anime "I'm not a real human!" but there you go

wow, you'd think kanji's "I like a thing people think a person like me shouldn't" would be an easier relate than marie's more anime "I'm not a real human!" but there you go
I didnt say marie was relatable, just that kanji wasnt. And if you want to boil down someones issue that far then sure,e veryones relatable, but kanjis is "Im a tough guy that enjoys things I shouldnt based on stereotypes so I try super hard to hide it", which doesnt resonate with me at all, and even at the basic way you wrote it, no its still not relatable to me

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I made up an conspiracy about Marie.

Like what if they were going to make the next Persona protagonist her instead of being in Golden; but they got cold feet because of reasons.

I should write this on Tumblr or something.

Jintor

I didnt say marie was relatable, just that kanji wasnt. And if you want to boil down someones issue that far then sure,e veryones relatable, but kanjis is "Im a tough guy that enjoys things I shouldnt based on stereotypes so I try super hard to hide it", which doesnt resonate with me at all, and even at the basic way you wrote it, no its still not relatable to me

you've led a lucky life

yes, Kanji's trope extends to every form of media and genre. Marie's is mroe limited to sci fi and fantasy, and mainly anime

I think we are talking about different layers of trope here. If you viewed Kanji's character in a very general "tough guy hiding a soft side to keep appearance," then Marie's is also just a run-of-the-mill "introverted girl feeling isolated because everyone else is different". Their main difference is in how they are conveyed.

With Kanji, the writers chose to be more down-to-earth, with layers of interactions between Kanji and his environment. I feel that the dialogues coming from it are fresher and more nuanced compared to the usual stuff from the Teen-demographic Japanese entertainment media, and that appeal to me more. With Marie, on the other hand, the writers chose to keep her interactions on the surface level but wrapped it in a story of an amnesiac god. I'm guessing this fantastical element excites and appeals to you more.

If you viewed Kanji's character in a very general "tough guy hiding a soft side to keep appearance," then Marie's is also just a run-of-the-mill "introverted girl feeling isolated because everyone else is different".
This is not true at all and you know it. Mostly because
"introverted girl feeling isolated because everyone else is different"
doesn't accurately describe Marie at all.

Marie is the "oh I'm so tsundere about having friends, why does everyone like me???" character.

This is not true at all and you know it. Mostly because

doesn't accurately describe Marie at all.

Marie is the "oh I'm so tsundere about having friends, why does everyone like me???" character.

Eh, most "tsundere" characters push people away because they feel they don't fit. It's why the "dere" usually comes very easily when they finally feel accepted.

Jintor

I have no idea why you are trying to force this, but its not something appropriate for this thread, if you really want to do this though, PM me

sorry, just joking around.

back on the topic though, I feel like a reading of kanji only as 'tough guy soft core' is a pretty surface level reading.

Jintor

I feel like I like the idea of Marie, but the execution is incredibly hampered because she's just... brought in. She feels like an add-on character and it really ruins whatever message her story is trying to push.

FluxWaveZ

Please tell me a couple of you guys aren't seriously considering the possibility that Marie was considered to be a Persona main protagonist.

cj_iwakura

Please tell me a couple of you guys aren't seriously considering the possibility that Marie was considered to be a Persona main protagonist.

Well since the male protagonist uses Izanagi... Marie was a major wasted opportunity. We should've had a Izanami link instead.

Top Bottom