• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

CorvoSol

After seeing another thread based around the idea somewhere else on NeoGAF, I'm interested in seeing all of the Persona-related answers the users here may have.

In short, do you have any headcanons about the Persona games? (AKA: Something you believe happened or happens but was never shown to happen?)

FeMC was a real person who coexisted with the protagonist of Persona 3. At its climax she ceased to exist in history in order to uphold/correct some cosmic balance and this is why nobody remembers she existed.

I also wish that Nyarlathotep was secretly trying to drive Yu Narukami insane, and that the crux of that plan is the fact that the entire world of Persona is based on a lie
the cast of Innocent Sin forced themselves to believe into reality.
since Yu's whole thing was seeing the truth realizing the whole world was a lie would drive him nuts or something i don't know

PK Gaming

After seeing another thread based around the idea somewhere else on NeoGAF, I'm interested in seeing all of the Persona-related answers the users here may have.

In short, do you have any headcanons about the Persona games? (AKA: Something you believe happened or happens but was never shown to happen?)

I've got a couple:

-This image
-The group always tries to help Kanji study for exams but it never pans out. Yosuke is the only one who actually manages to help Kanji out by teaching him "tricks" for passing tests. Like always picking C during multiple choice, or how ot bullshit an essay.
-Yu and Yosuke's relationship from the anime
-This happened
-Naoto is a hard, hard M.
-Chie uses the word "Yosuke" as a verb for screwing up.
-Metis is goddamn siscon. Actually fuck headcanon, that is canon. It's so canon, it was canonized by the vatican.

It's my honest belief that regardless of which is romanced and which is not, Mitsuru and Yukari begin going out shortly before the events of Persona 4 Arena. (Or a while after the events of P3 and its remakes.)

Possibly out of the feeling of loss of the protagonist, possibly not - but I can't help but believe it after what I've seen with them.

Zyzj0FE.png
4yKXg9T.jpg
YES that pairing is very legit. I mean they're definitely presented as best friends or whatever but they're like super intimate with each other post P3, and that Ultimax epilogue..............lmao.

CorvoSol

everybody keeps saying post P3 is their basis for Mitsuru and Yukari but like, that scene in Kyoto was cause enough for me, yo.

I'm still not getting what makes people think Yukari and Mitsuru are into eachother

Also, i got to the (Persona Q 3rd labyrinth request/ quest spoiler)
3rd labyrinth Elizabeth fight today in PQ, and completely wrecked her with Aigis. I was able to get by her poison with Prayer and Healing Breeze Navi skills, and Yukari on healing

I cannot imagine how much damage you can stack with Power Charge, Dragon Cry, Shura Tensei, Tarukaja, Rakukaja, any of the -drop defense down effects on the attacks, Orgia mode, and a crit. I'm also really loving Zanshinken, which also adds another hit at the end of the turn if she doesn't take damage (and that second hit does more damage than the first and can ALSO proc a crit if i'm not mistaken). I don't optimize much in Persona but i am dedicated to trying to get the best skills i can on Aigis to maximize her damage (if this counts as spoilers just tell me, i'm unsure on the exact specifications on the policy)

Nah, this is even earlier

Non canon :'(

I still believe that both MC's should be canon, they just live in alternate timelines where the only difference is one has Makoto, other has Minako. I like P3MC because i projected into the MC alot on my first playthrough, and feel like he's special for that, so i still don't want to get rid of him like everyone else does

Meia

Non canon :'(

I still believe that both MC's should be canon, they just live in alternate timelines where the only difference is one has Makoto, other has Minako. I like P3MC because i projected into the MC alot on my first playthrough, and feel like he's special for that, so i still don't want to get rid of him like everyone else does

I actually go with the idea that they're both around at the same time as brother/sister, and they both meet the same fate in the end.
At least this way they won't be alone THE FEELS ARE KILLING ME.

Yukari/Mitsuru is such a neat idea that I want it to be true, especially with how the story of the game went.

In terms of other unsaid things, I believe Fuuka to be at least Bi and it's one of the reasons why the parents kind of disown her after she disappears(her never going into that family relation still kills me), so the whole Natsuki thing makes more sense. I mean,
her leaving is a strong enough moment for her persona to evolve...

For P4, the only thing I hold to is Naoto not seeking a romantic relationship with anyone because of the case and timing wise it not making sense with anyone, no matter how much Rise would be a meddler trying to get something to happen(cause she totally would, for everyone).

I always seem to pick the Lovers Arcana for P3 and P4.

I go for the healers. I wonder if P5 will make this a trend.

Onto headcanons, I think that Teddie and Labrys have a budding relationship post-Arena.
Also, Ultimax never happened, at least not like the game shows. :/

Luke_Wal

I received this PM yesterday from a very useful Persona Community thread member:

Jachoas said:
Anyway, it depends on how far you get too. There comes a point where the game suggests you save because of dramatic turns coming. Do that, maybe on a 2nd save if you want. If you don't follow the game's themes, you'll get an ending to match it. The story actually extends by almost a third at that point if you do the right things. I also encourage having the Marie social link maxed out sooner rather than later.

And there's the true ending, which is so easy to miss. Whenever you finish the game, you probably won't have gotten that one. Come back in the community thread to ask us for the way to get it in the most spoiler free way. It's so easy online to get spoiled on this wonderful game.

Last night, I played about 4 hours (Vita almost died on me, which was scary), finishing Kanji's dungeon and getting to mid-May. Still loving the game, but this message scared me a little bit; I hadn't even contemplated that there would be multiple endings, and that I could miss one.

Without spoiling, he says "The story actually extends by almost a third at that point if you do the right things." Does that mean maxing out on social links? What do I have to do? I was already working on maxing out Marie, so that probably means good news for me. Should I focus on the Fox for his discounts? Yosuke? Yukiko? What do I need to do?

I received this PM yesterday from a very useful Persona Community thread member:

Last night, I played about 4 hours (Vita almost died on me, which was scary), finishing Kanji's dungeon and getting to mid-May. Still loving the game, but this message scared me a little bit; I hadn't even contemplated that there would be multiple endings, and that I could miss one.

Without spoiling, he says "The story actually extends by almost a third at that point if you do the right things." Does that mean maxing out on social links? What do I have to do? I was already working on maxing out Marie, so that probably means good news for me. Should I focus on the Fox for his discounts? Yosuke? Yukiko? What do I need to do?
the only social link that has an affect on content is Marie's. Hers opens up the P4G exclusive dungeon. The points where the endings open up arent 100% pointed out by the game beforehand, but if you are saving often its rarely an issue to go back and load a save. If you get any ending it asks you to save clear data for new game +, do not ever overwrite your last save with that.

Should I focus on the Fox for his discounts? Yosuke? Yukiko? What do I need to do?

Doing S.links of party members that you're actually using is the best, the fox is kind of a wierd link which makes it hard to rush.

Anyway, do the S.links that you actually want to do, as long as you're carrying the right Persona with you of course (which shouldn't be an issue since you can just go to the Velvet Room).

Relax and enjoy the game, don't stress out about doing the optimal thing, it makes for an better experience.

Luke_Wal

Doing S.links of party members that you're actually using is the best, the fox is kind of a wierd link which makes it hard to rush.

Anyway, do the S.links that you actually want to do, as long as you're carrying the right Persona with you of course (which shouldn't be an issue since you can just go to the Velvet Room).

Relax and enjoy the game, don't stress out about doing the optimal thing, it makes for an better experience.

So carrying a Persona of that arcana while you advance that character's S Link does what, exactly? Cause the bond to advance faster?

Also, completely unrelated: is there a way to check your levels in traits like Courage and Diligence? I couldn't find it in the menus.

Meia

the only social link that has an affect on content is Marie's. Hers opens up the P4G exclusive dungeon. The points where the endings open up arent 100% pointed out by the game beforehand, but if you are saving often its rarely an issue to go back and load a save. If you get any ending it asks you to save clear data for new game +, do not ever overwrite your last save with that.

To put more of a point on things, understand that at it's base this is a murder mystery, and the "endings" pretty much revolve around this concept. Just enjoy the game, including the social link stuffs at whatever pace you want. :)

I'll also say this to put you at ease: Unless you're following a specific guide in terms of what to do on a day to day basis, you won't finish every social link in your first playthrough, and this is normal. On a game +, all of your social stats(understanding and the like) carry over, giving you a lot more free time on a second playthrough. And if you're someone who likes achievements, you have to totally finish a second run to get a specific one anyway, so no worries. :)

So carrying a Persona of that arcana while you advance that character's S Link does what, exactly? Cause the bond to advance faster?

Also, completely unrelated: is there a way to check your levels in traits like Courage and Diligence? I couldn't find it in the menus.

There's a point system associated with social links, indicated by the number of musical notes that appear over someone's head, both when you answer in a specific way in their social link meeting, and just agreeing to hang out with them. Having a matching persona gives you more of these notes, indicating more of an increase. This really starts mattering later in links when you need a lot of points to rank up.

To check the traits, I think you press right in the MC's status window. Should say on the bottom of the screen iirc, and it's definitely on that window you have to do so.

Sophia

Super secret gameplay tip about the P4 endings:
With exception of Marie and the new P4G content, it is not possible to lock yourself out of any ending as long as you do not overwrite your save game with a cleared save. You can miss Marie's content (and thus the epilogue) if her social link isn't finished, but the rest of the endings are totally obtainable as the game does not let you save if you've made a choice that leads to anything other than the true ending.

Jachaos

As the others have said, having Pixie (or other Magician arcana Persona) when hanging out with Yosuke (Magician) will increase the speed your social link develops.

As for the endings, if you're already working on Marie, don't worry about anything. Just enjoy the game and do whatever you like.

And I think you need to press Square on the main character's status menu to get the stats' pentagon.

Just here to say that Jachaos rules :)

I'm just here to help you all get the best experience!

I still believe that both MC's should be canon,
they just live in alternate timelines where the only difference is one has Makoto, other has Minako. I like P3MC because i projected into the MC alot on my first playthrough, and feel like he's special for that, so i still don't want to get rid of him like everyone else does

I don't want to get rid of him, I feel he fits the themes of the game real well and it made for a great first playthrough on P3 FES, but I enjoy FeMC's character so much that I think we're all trying to force her into canon or compensate for her not being canon.

YES that pairing is very legit. I mean they're definitely presented as best friends or whatever but they're like super intimate with each other post P3, and that Ultimax epilogue..............lmao.

everybody keeps saying post P3 is their basis for Mitsuru and Yukari but like, that scene in Kyoto was cause enough for me, yo.

Yukari/Mitsuru is such a neat idea that I want it to be true, especially with how the story of the game went.

In terms of other unsaid things, I believe Fuuka to be at least Bi and it's one of the reasons why the parents kind of disown her after she disappears(her never going into that family relation still kills me), so the whole Natsuki thing makes more sense. I mean,
her leaving is a strong enough moment for her persona to evolve...

And thus, I knew I belonged.

In other news though, looks like Europe will have to wait a bit longer than the rest of the world again.

TimmiT

Uuuuuuuurgh. Thanks for sharing but this sucks. How am I going to avoid spoilers? On the bright side, I won't have to buy a PS4 this year.

You can still buy it digitally when it releases in the US through PSN. You can make an US account and buy it with that.

The fact that Atlus continues to fuck over European fans with no regard, and doesn't actively try to find a Euro publisher that they will stick with is disgusting to say the least. I don't even think the smallest studio making VN's on the Vita have the same problems Atlus has. It's embarrasing.

While this is obviously disappointing (as a near-simultaneous NA/EU release would have been ideal), I'm curious about how far apart the release dates will actually be. At this rate, P5 seemed like it could be a December release in NA, and a January release in EU would still be "TBA 2016." Hopefully those in Europe who don't want to import won't have to wait more than a month or so.

For Europe's sake, I just hope that means early January after a December release in the states.

That would be nice, I'm sure it will be closer to the start of Q1 rather than the end.

The fact that Atlus continues to fuck over European fans with no regard, and doesn't actively try to find a Euro publisher that they will stick with is disgusting to say the least. I don't even think the smallest studio making VN's on the Vita have the same problems Atlus has. It's embarrasing.

It seems like they're going with NISA for most things recently, most of the recent Atlus games that I can think of are being brought to Europe by NISA.

VegiHam

You can still buy it digitally when it releases in the US through PSN. You can make an US account and buy it with that.

Thanks for the idea, but I already considered this and decided against it for three reasons:
A) I shouldn't have to, and I want to buy a European version so they get the idea that Europeans want their games.
B) I don't want two accounts, It's hard to keep track of and I'm worried Sony might crack down on it in future or something.
C) I don't want to get a Playstation till Persona is out; cus it's too much of a distraction.

Thanks for the idea, but I already considered this and decided against it for three reasons:
A) I shouldn't have to, and I want to buy a European version so they get the idea that Europeans want their games.
B) I don't want two accounts, It's hard to keep track of and I'm worried Sony might crack down on it in future or something.
C) I don't want to get a Playstation till Persona is out; cus it's too much of a distraction.

Bolded is my opinion as well if I was a EU Persona fan. I shouldn't have to import the game from the US, nor should I have to go for the run around to get it.

Dude, chill out!

This is nothing unexpected at all! You make it seem like this is an exclusively Atlus based thing, it's not! I can count numerous titles from a multitude of companies that have issues being released in Europe. It's far from a quick fix!

Plus this doesn't really matter anyway, the US version of the game will be available to play for Europeans from day 1 if you go to the US marketplace, or you could import the disc, either way is super easy! It's not going to be another 'Arena' case of the game being region locked.

And as for not finding a consistant publisher, NISAmerica have published P4G, PQ and P4DAN whilst Sega published Ultimax. They're getting the job done fairly well, and usually with only a minor delay for needing to distribute in over 20 countries, each with their own trading standards which need to be adhered to!

At this point, we know equally as much as the US people. We dont know exactly when it'll release, we don't know a publisher (but we have fairly good predictions), and we still dont know if they're on course to make their initial aim of a 2015 release (but I assume they are). Hell, for all you know, it could be a Christmas release in the US and a New years release in Europe!

A lot of your posts in here are severely antagonistic on a lot of topics, you need to calm down a bit, especially when you don't know the facts, and definitely when you (like most of us) don't know how the business side of the company works! It's OK to be skeptical, but getting angry and verbally attacking the company isn't going to help anything and makes you look bad.

This one I can understand. Yes, you shouldn't have to import, but overall, it's not going to make a lick of difference to the EU gaming market if you do. Importers make up a minute percentage of people who play the games anyway.

The other two though? You know you can just get a disc imported right? It'll work on your console regardless, no need for another account (unless you want DLC).

CorvoSol

FeMC remains best of all girls by warping reality to make this happen, clearly. Fuck you, Junpei, how did you fuck this up

I actually go with the idea that they're both around at the same time as brother/sister, and they both meet the same fate in the end.
At least this way they won't be alone THE FEELS ARE KILLING ME.

This is more or less the headcanon I run on.

Onto headcanons, I think that Teddie and Labrys have a budding relationship post-Arena.
Also, Ultimax never happened, at least not like the game shows. :/

Dude everybody knows that 1) Labrys x Y
u-----
is the one true pairing.

I like to think that there was a version of Ultimax's Side P3 that better integrated the cast of P4. Like, fuck
Adachi, Labrys and Yu finished Kagutsuchi off.

VegiHam

This one I can understand. Yes, you shouldn't have to import, but overall, it's not going to make a lick of difference to the EU gaming market if you do. Importers make up a minute percentage of people who play the games anyway.

The other two though? You know you can just get a disc imported right? It'll work on your console regardless, no need for another account (unless you want DLC).
I've never imported before! It's all too scary and I can't do it! :p

I just find it frustrating tbh. We can get freaking Danganronpa at the same time as America but not Persona. It's mad.

Jachaos

I've never imported before! It's all to scary and I can't do it! :p

I just find it frustrating tbh. We can get freaking Danganronpa at the same time as America but not Persona. It's mad.

You guys got Steins;Gate while I'm still waiting on that

I've never imported before! It's all to scary and I can't do it! :p

It's the easiest thing ever :p

I used videogamesplus.ca for Ultimax. Paid in my own currency and the game arrived a few days after launch with 0 customs issues whatsoever. I highly recommend using them if you want to import from the US region.

VegiHam

You guys got Steins;Gate while I'm still waiting on that
Wait, we have Steins;Gate now?! Nobody told me this!

I used videogamesplus.ca for Ultimax. Paid in my own currency and the game arrived a few days after launch with 0 customs issues whatsoever. I highly recommend using them if you want to import from the US region.
Hmmm, where were you importing to though? I'm in the UK, so things may be different and complicated and thus totally impossible.

Digital is also super easy these days, assuming that it's not a Vita because that just adds unnecessary hassle.

Sophia

I like to think that there was a version of Ultimax's Side P3 that better integrated the cast of P4.
Like, fuck Adachi, Labrys and Yu finished Kagutsuchi off.

This is pretty much my headcannon too.
Labrys and Yu went up to the top of the tower and fought Kagutuschi off, saved the data, and Yu reedemed Sho while he still had his snarky tsundere dialogue with Labrys.

Tjamato88

So I'm playing P4G for the first time and I'm on the last day to do the bathhouse quest. I've gotten all the way up to the top with the boss but I barely have any SP left in any of my characters and no healing items.

If I go back to the real world I'll be sent back a week and lose my progress. Any tips to fighting this boss/what levels are recommended for him? I'm pretty sure all my characters are under leveled.

Wait, we have Steins;Gate now?! Nobody told me this!

Hmmm, where were you importing to though? I'm in the UK, so things may be different and complicated and thus totally impossible.

I'm in the UK too, little town on the east coast near the Humber.

Trust me, it's a LOT less daunting that it initially seems.

Digital is also super easy these days, assuming that it's not a Vita because that just adds unnecessary hassle.

Yeah, I dont know why the Vita is as complicated as it is for digital imports. PS3/PS4 is super simple at least.

So I'm playing P4G for the first time and I'm on the last day to do the bathhouse quest. I've gotten all the way up to the top with the boss but I barely have any SP left in any of my characters and no healing items.

If I go back to the real world I'll be sent back a week and lose my progress. Any tips to fighting this boss/what levels are recommended for him? I'm pretty sure all my characters are under leveled.

You could always pay the fox for a full HP/SP heal (if you've got the cash for it).

Other than that, have some Elec/Phys resistant personae and, if possible, have a few debuff spells at hand too.

CorvoSol

This is pretty much my headcannon too.
Labrys and Yu went up to the top of the tower and fought Kagutuschi off, saved the data, and Yu reedemed Sho while he still had his snarky tsundere dialogue with Labrys.

can only hope a manga adaptation goes this route, kinda like how P4A's manga set the first game's storyline a little better.

Setsu00

I agree 100% with this. I hate being an afterthought.

VegiHam

Well damn, now I have no excuse.
I agree 100% with this. I hate being an afterthought.
If it helps, we aren't an afterthought. We're a neverthought. Atlas literally never think about us until someone else asks if they can release an Atlas game here and then they go 'huh? oh yeah sure whatever.'

Setsu00

Well damn, now I have no excuse.

If it helps, we aren't an afterthought. We're a neverthought. Atlas literally never think about us until someone else asks if they can release an Atlas game here and then they go 'huh? oh yeah sure whatever.'

Oh, I think you do have an excuse and that is what you already mentioned: You shouldn't need to import a game just because you're European.

Possibly, yes. I mean I know that one interview where the company's CEO mentioned that they want to expand in Europe, but other than PQ I honestly don't see any positive results of this endeavor.

MSMrRound

AtlusUSA consists of 14 or so people in the entire team. They aren't as big as you might think they are.

So no, I don't think the fault squarely lies with Atlus. Ever since they are acquired by SEGA, to me it makes much more sense that SEGA should have given Atlus titles more support in European countries instead of European fans having to rely on NIS and what's not.

Then again, I'm not an expert in game publishing, so these are just purely talk from me.

VegiHam

Oh, I think you do have an excuse and that is what you already mentioned: You shouldn't need to import a game just because you're European.

Possibly, yes. I mean I know that one interview where the company's CEO mentioned that they want to expand in Europe, but other than PQ I honestly don't see any positive results of this endeavor.

I was just being ultra pessimistic, didn't realise they'd said that, interesting.

Tjamato88

Yeah, I dont know why the Vita is as complicated as it is for digital imports. PS3/PS4 is super simple at least.

You could always pay the fox for a full HP/SP heal (if you've got the cash for it).

Other than that, have some Elec/Phys resistant personae and, if possible, have a few debuff spells at hand too.
I paid the fox but all he did for me was heal my characters. My SP was still depleted. I might need to just die and reset my stuff so I can fill up on healing items.

DNAbro

I paid the fox but all he did for me was heal my characters. My SP was still depleted. I might need to just die and reset my stuff so I can fill up on healing items.

well he only refills your SP from what I remember so that's weird.

also related to P5
EtL4MeR.gif

I'm getting impatient again lol
JUST SHOW MORE OF THE DAMN GAME ATLUS. I really hope we don't have to wait till Tokyo Game Show.

The way the vita handles accounts isn't great to say the least. As you say, PS3/PS4 are super simple when it comes to digital imports and I'd say that if you're not fussed about a physical copy or are happy to double dip then digital would be the way to go.

MSMrRound

UST SHOW MORE OF THE DAMN GAME ATLUS. I really hope we don't have to wait till Tokyo Game Show.

One and a half month until TGS. *Mentally count down in my head*.

Although TGS was rather rad last year, I'm interested in this year's as well, to see what else they might be able to bring to the table...of course, more Persona 5 and possibly Danganronpa 3 info might be nice.

Also personally waiting to see if a couple of rumours that I heard about (not Persona related) are going to be real...

Setsu00

I was just being ultra pessimistic, didn't realise they'd said that, interesting.

I shall hereby present you a variety of statements made by Atlus CEO Naoto Hiraoka in this interview:

“Persona 4 Golden was received extremely well [...] in the UK; the game's Metacritic score is extremely high,” he states. “These were things that we noticed and that we were extremely happy with. We were also very happy with how the game was handled in the UK – we felt that the game was well marketed, well pushed and well received by consumers over here."

Of course it might have been different in the UK, but I haven't seen a single bit of advertisement for P4G here in Germany. The only thing I know of was a German P4G trailer that basically consisted of P4G's opening and a short note when the game would be available.

"We saw [that the West is an extremely important part of what we are doing] through Persona 4 and through Catherine as well. So going forward, putting the West and Europe as a big part of the market, and understanding how valuable it is, we will definitely be increasing the amount of energy and effort we put into making sure the game is marketed and sold as broadly as possible throughout North America and Europe.”

This part is incredibly baffling even if you don't take Europe into consideration. E3 would have been the perfect place to debut P5's second trailer and obviously they didn't do it which makes me wonder what they mean with that in the first place.

“I'm really excited and I really hope that fans in the UK will really like [Persona 4 Arena Ultimax] and give it a chance.[...]

Again, Ultimax was released in Europe more than two months after it came out in the US. It's hard to give a fighting game a chance when nobody's playing the game anymore. For the record: When I bought Ultimax on day one, there were about thirty players in the lobby and I wasn't even able to find someone for ranked matches.

Top Bottom