• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

Sophia

So I found an interesting theory on /r/megaten on who the Villain/Enemy Persona could be in P5 and thought I'd share here.

What do people think?

I've actually wondered about various theories like this. Especially in regards to subjects related to Lupin, his author Maurice Leblanc, and/or related to the Phantom of the Opera. I didn't really consider Fantômas that much tho, which in retrospect seems silly given the character was almost as popular as Lupin.
The idea of Fantômas being a Persona belonging to someone who's ideology is opposite of the protagonist's own would be a pretty cool theme to explore. Maybe the mysterious student painting in the second trailer?

EDIT: Another random P5 theory of mine:
Arsene has wings right? I wonder if he also has a connection to music, because Erik in The Phantom of the Opera was also sometimes known as the "Angel of Music"

This sort of stupid elitism adds nothing and makes us all look bad, can you just stop?

I'm inclined to agree, especially considering the discussion of theories is one area I quite enjoy. Even more so if we're getting into the psychology of a character. :D

And here's me, not understanding any of the references incorporated in what we've seen of P5 so far ._.

I still like what I've seen from the few P5 reveals though

Lunar15

And here's me, not understanding any of the references incorporated in what we've seen of P5 so far ._.

I still like what I've seen from the few P5 reveals though

But that's kind of the fun part, no? I wasn't really familiar with the story of Izanagi and Izanami, but after I played the game I did some research.

Sophia

I was more familiar with Lupin the 3rd than the original anyhow. So it was a learning experience for me too. >_>;

Lunar15

I read the original Lupin book when I was younger, before I ever even saw Lupin the 3rd, but I really don't think knowing who Arsene is, other than a thief, provides much context for anything we've seen.

All you need to know is that he was a thief, and a gentlemanly one at that. That's about as far as the references go so far. If anything I've seen way more Phantom of the Opera and Count of Monte Cristo references than anything else. (two sources they did not mention in the interview about inspirations. ironically)

Zolo

I was more familiar with Lupin the 3rd than the original anyhow. So it was a learning experience for me too. >_>;

To be fair, this will go double for most of the Japanese audience. The devs even already stated it as an inspiration......or at least in a 'Pretty much all of us have watched a lot of Lupin III'

Luke_Wal

Hey there fellow Investigators!

I just started P4G about 2 days ago, and I'm 7 hours in (Kanji has just disappeared, but I haven't gone to his "dungeon" yet). If that's how long it's taken me to get that far, how long would you guys guesstimate it would take me to finish the game? I heard about 50 hours going in; would you call that accurate?

Also, I'm loving this so much I'm actually considering playing P4Arena after I knock this game out. Is Ultimax a "golden" version of vanilla Arena (being the same game with some additional content), or a full fledged sequel? I'm seeing inconsistent answers online. Also, is it worth it to play P3 before I play Arena, or just playing P3 in general? I'll probably be playing Portable rather than FES, if that makes a difference.

I just started P4G about 2 days ago, and I'm 7 hours in (Kanji has just disappeared, but I haven't gone to his "dungeon" yet). If that's how long it's taken me to get that far, how long would you guys guesstimate it would take me to finish the game? I heard about 50 hours going in; would you call that accurate?

Also, I'm loving this so much I'm actually considering playing P4Arena after I knock this game out. Is Ultimax a "golden" version of vanilla Arena (being the same game with some additional content), or a full fledged sequel? I'm seeing inconsistent answers online. Also, is it worth it to play P3 before I play Arena, or just playing P3 in general? I'll probably be playing Portable rather than FES, if that makes a difference.

1) 80 hours tops.

2) Ultimax is story wise a complete sequel, there is DLC which allows you to buy the story of the first gane though, just skip P4A

3) Yes, play P3, preferably after you've finished golden, nothing wrong with the Portable version, the console version will probably annoy you due to the massive downgrade in gameplay since you're coming from Golden.

4) choose the Female character in P3P

All in all, just enjoy your time with Golden, it's an awesome game, the rest will come later ;)

50 hours for you sounds about right if you play quick, however 80 is easily possible.

Ultimax is a full sequel with a completely different story, however the story from Arena is available as a download for ultimax as DLC, so you can buy ultimax + DLC and get the full story and the most updated gameplay.

If you ahve any interest in P3, which you probably should if you enjoy 4, then you should play it BEFORE arena. However be aware that when playing P3 there is some annoying quality of life differences that were resolved with 4, and vary depending on the version of 3 that you play

Ultimax is a full sequel to Arena, but you can buy Arena's story mode as DLC, so there's really no need to buy Arena, just get Ultimax and the DLC and you're set.

And it's pretty much necessary to play P3 before the fighting games. The overall story of both games leans a lot more towards P3 than it does P4!

And the portable/fes thing is the same as always;
Fes has worse battle mechanics, but has a full overworld and animated cutscenes and an extra (40-ish hour) epilogue story.
Portable has the FemC story, which is the main story told from a female MC perspective (this has better dialogue options and far better social links IMO), a better battle system where you can control all the characters, but does not have cutscenes and does not have an overworld and also does not include the epilogue side story.

Luke_Wal

50 hours for you sounds about right if you play quick, however 80 is easily possible.

Ultimax is a full sequel with a completely different story, however the story from Arena is available as a download for ultimax as DLC, so you can buy ultimax + DLC and get the full story and the most updated gameplay.

If you ahve any interest in P3, which you probably should if you enjoy 4, then you should play it BEFORE arena. However be aware that when playing P3 there is some annoying quality of life differences that were resolved with 4, and vary depending on the version of 3 that you play

80 hours?!?! Holy crap.... I might have a copy of Phantom Pain just sitting there for a little bit while I finish this and Peace Walker (anyone have any ideas on how long that one is, while we're at it?). I hadn't planned on taking my PS3 with me to college, just the PS4, but hearing this about Ultimax might make me change my mind. Being able to buy the Arena story is a really cool touch; how much is that, if you happen to know offhand?

Also, shoutout to this thread being so awesome for giving me 3 thought out replies in the amount of time it took me to handle one customer at work. You guys rock!

Sophia

Ultimax is a direct sequel to Arena, but you also have the option to purchase the story mode for Arena as DLC and play it in Ultimax.

You will probably want to play Persona 3's before starting Ultimax's story mode, as there is a very major spoiler for P3 in Ultimax.

80 hours?!?! Holy crap.... I might have a copy of Phantom Pain just sitting there for a little bit while I finish this and Peace Walker (anyone have any ideas on how long that one is, while we're at it?). I hadn't planned on taking my PS3 with me to college, just the PS4, but hearing this about Ultimax might make me change my mind. Being able to buy the Arena story is a really cool touch; how much is that, if you happen to know offhand?

Also, shoutout to this thread being so awesome for giving me 3 thought out replies in the amount of time it took me to handle one customer at work. You guys rock!

The Arena story mode DLC is $10. Effectively the same price (or cheaper) than Arena. There's pretty much no reason to buy the first game unless you intend to give it away after you're done.

Just a hypothetical DLC character, because I have a feeling the character DLC is not going to stop at Miku - although I could be wrong, as I have been wrong so many times before.

image.php

:)

Playing P3 is deffo worth it. P3P removes all anime cutscenes, but you could watch those online. They get shit for their limited animation, but I think a lot of them are actually really cool. Might also wanna watch The Answer, an epilogue they also removed from P3P, since it provides some good closure.

You can play Arena if you waaaaant, but the writing is generally considered pretty awful.
Which it totally is.
So... adjust your expectations.

After seeing another thread based around the idea somewhere else on NeoGAF, I'm interested in seeing all of the Persona-related answers the users here may have.

In short, do you have any headcanons about the Persona games? (AKA: Something you believe happened or happens but was never shown to happen?)

My game headcanon has to do with the end of Persona 3 and its sequels.

It's my honest belief that regardless of which is romanced and which is not, Mitsuru and Yukari begin going out shortly before the events of Persona 4 Arena. (Or a while after the events of P3 and its remakes.)

Possibly out of the feeling of loss of the protagonist, possibly not - but I can't help but believe it after what I've seen with them.

There are Drama CDs and moments in Ultimax that support this.

Darn, well my Persona 3 tryout is really grinding to a halt. I started recently and have like 13-15 hours on a clock. Lvl 20 and stuck like hell on 59th floor with that damn
knight

I don't know how to proceed, everyone said don't worry about dungeons, just get to a barrier between each full moon. But I got crazy stuck on both this mid boss and the previous one.
I tried out all the possible weaknesses like fire-ice and stuff and nothing bites on this guy. He can kill my characters in one hit. I don't know what to do.

I enjoy social part of the game but grinding bores me to death ;( Is there a hope for me?

Darn, well my Persona 3 tryout is really grinding to a halt. I started recently and have like 13-15 hours on a clock. Lvl 20 and stuck like hell on 59th floor with that damn
knight

I don't know how to proceed, everyone said don't worry about dungeons, just get to a barrier between each full moon. But I got crazy stuck on both this mid boss and the previous one.
I tried out all the possible weaknesses like fire-ice and stuff and nothing bites on this guy. He can kill my characters in one hit. I don't know what to do.

I enjoy social part of the game but grinding bores me to death ;( Is there a hope for me?

You gotta grind, I'm sorry. Are your personas and equipment up to date?

Gear I guess is, best equipment from police station. Personas are high teens mostly. I'm so stressed out with personas as I kind lose spells when I fuse them and I try to keep all the major spells at hand.

What lvl should I be to try for the 59th floor boss?

knight

Yeah, the ones that don't have a specific weakness are the worst. You could try to fuse the persona Power as he counters him the most but that's where it stops.

Gear I guess is, best equipment from police station. Personas are high teens mostly. I'm so stressed out with personas as I kind lose spells when I fuse them and I try to keep all the major spells at hand.

Try your best to fuse a persona that repels/absorbs or nullifies the attack that the boss uses. Try to figure out its pattern so you know who needs to defend and when.

Make sure none of the people you're using are weak to its moves, etc.

Hopefully this helps.

I wouldn't worry about the bolded too much. Even if you lose a spell to fusion, it won't be long before you get the same spell (or even an upgraded version of that spell) from another persona later on. If a particular variety of spells aren't helping you against the boss you're stuck against, fuse the variety away to specialize in something that will help.

For example:
You have a persona with all four elemental spells and some status ailment skills. It'll be better if you fuse that persona to make something with only one elemental type, but that also has -boost and rakunda.

This talk is kinda making me wanna replay P3 again, but I cba starting from the beginning again........

Is there a way of transferring PSP saves to Vita somehow? I doubt it, but it'd be cool to have my 400+ hour file on here.

Sophia

You gotta grind, I'm sorry. Are your personas and equipment up to date?

They say that in this thread that there is an android who crucifies people who dare say the forbidden G word.... ಠ_ಠ

First thing first: The Intrepid Knight is level 26, so 20-25 is not too low a level for the boss. But your Personas may or may not be viable depending on their level and how you've been fusing them. You CAN win this without any grinding however. Switch up your Personas and find out what works bests.

Secondly, did you happen to pick out any of it's strengths and defenses?
The boss is weak to nothing, strong against all physical attacks, and drains wind attacks. Do not use Junpei as he will die horribly and give the boss free turns, and if you use Yukari make sure she's not attacking. If you're playing Persona 3 FES, be sure to have Fuuka analyze the boss so that Yukari exhibits the correct AI behaviour. The boss has some very strong physical skills, which are piercing/striking. He also has an instant kill ability (light), so make sure your protagonist isn't equipped with a Persona weak to light, or you'll very quickly find yourself with a game over. Lastly, make sure you're using Tarunda and Rakunda to ensure the boss is getting as few hits in as possible and taking the most damage.

Also, don't fret over fusion. You can fix any mistake you may make, so just go with what feels right.

Sophia

You don't need to, sure, but if you're having serious trouble then a few extra levels would make your life easier.

Unless you're grinding for a specific Persona/ability above your level (See: Black Frost and it's level 43 Agidyne in Persona 4), no it doesn't. Individual level ups in a Persona game are effectively insignificant.

IGNORE THIS AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!

You should NEVER need to grind in persona!

Well, to say you never need to grind in ANY Persona game isn't entirely true. Persona 2's tarot system basically encourages it. And Persona 4 Golden's Risky/Very Hard difficulty basically enforces it on you due to really stupid balancing with the difficulty settings.

You shouldn't ever need to grind in normal gameplay of Persona 3 or 4 tho.

I always date Rise in P4 because it feels so wrong to me to break up what Chie and Yukiko have together.

Nich, if you're being honest, I love you so much. XD

arue

The only place you would grind in Persona 3 is after you got to get the very last block. That place will bring you from level 60+ to 99 in no time though.

As long as you clear out the whole floor of shadows as you climb Tartarus, there is no need for you to grind in Persona 3.

This is my first SMT or Persona game that I played longer than 2-3 hours. So everything is new to me. I fretted about not needing to grind and I thought I'm doing something terribly wrong if I can't kill midd boss. I guess back to the drawing board.
I really want to beat this game and see what the fuss is all about.

Wish I played it when it first came out

In short, do you have any headcanons about the Persona games? (AKA: Something you believe happened or happens but was never shown to happen?)
P3
Chidori survives based on the P3P (and I think FES) path. Junpei's dream in ultimax was actually because they are dating now. GODDAMNIT JUNPEI DESERVES TO FUCKING BE HAPPY

P4
Chie and Yosuke hook up after the game. Chie felt bad after all the times she fucked over Yosuke and sees everything he was willing to do for them, after 2 years of marriage and a kid, the relationship unsurprisingly goes down the shitter. They have a painful divorce however have a somewhat healthy parenting relationship

Sophia

This is my first SMT or Persona game that I played longer than 2-3 hours. So everything is new to me. I fretted about not needing to grind and I thought I'm doing something terribly wrong if I can't kill midd boss. I guess back to the drawing board.
I really want to beat this game and see what the fuss is all about.

Wish I played it when it first came out

You can definitely beat it. The Intrepid Knight is intended to be hard at this point in the game and most players struggle with it the first time through. Heck, I didn't even manage to beat it on my first save when I started playing Persona 3. >_>;

Another tip:
Status effects do work on the boss. Mitsuru can charm the boss, panic and rage work too, and there's a rare bow for Yukari (Bow of Affection) that can be obtained in that area of Tartarus from Shuffle Time which will charm as well.
Keep at it! The game only gets better from here. If you can beat this boss, then you'll be able to get the bestest party member in a little bit. :D

Nimby

Banned
If you're having trouble beating bosses, this should be your priority most of the time:

1. Fuse new demons/Persona
2. Update/change your equipment
3. Try grinding

SmoughLaughs

Neo Member

Is this like fanfic but loyal to the game facts?

The following ocurred to me as I read your post regarding P4! (Spoilers ahead!)

Anyways I would like to think Naoto gets normal sized boobs (even though I don't know if hers are big or small)

More seriously though: Teddy disappears into the TV world, forgets his human side and turns back into a regular shadow, who yearns for the thruth haunting Yu and the others ultimately freeing Adachi so that he tells him the thruth (he then lies) so he is tricked into kidnapping Nanako feeling she has answers.

SmoughLaughs

Neo Member
I'll get the hang of it in no time : )

not really

Anyways anyone praying so that there are more characters in P5? It was always fun having lots of people in P4 and P3, and we have no evidence that there are gonna be more characters other than our 4 member party and the wall-painting guy.

DNAbro

not really

Anyways anyone praying so that there are more characters in P5? It was always fun having lots of people in P4 and P3, and we have no evidence that there are gonna be more characters other than our 4 member party and the wall-painting guy.

We know there will be more

not really

We know there will be more

We know because there is an editing cut between the Protag's "Skating on the Highway" bit and Anne's. After he passes by there's a sudden 'jump' further down the road where Anne shows up.

There are likely 1 or 2 character in this space; one of them likely being the Fox-Mask wearing person who jumps off the building earlier in the trailer.

There's no such 'jump' between Anne and Ryuuji/Morgana, before you ask.

DNAbro

We know because there is an editing cut between the Protag's "Skating on the Highway" bit and Anne's. After he passes by there's a sudden 'jump' further down the road where Anne shows up.

There are likely 1 or 2 character in this space; one of them likely being the Fox-Mask wearing person who jumps off the building earlier in the trailer.

There's no such 'jump' between Anne and Ryuuji/Morgana, before you ask.

I believe Soejima said so as well.

Also slightly interesting, the IGN version of the P5 trailer reached over 1 million views https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPqSkzNNPIg

CrazyDude

So I found an interesting theory on /r/megaten on who the Villain/Enemy Persona could be in P5 and thought I'd share here.

What do people think?

I get the feeling the enemy will be some who represents order and law or someone who represents fate.

Apparently in this game, instead of the main characters chasing the bad guy, the bad is chasing them. Anyone know of fictional detectives who would fit the bill?

Nachos

I get the feeling the enemy will be some who represents order and law or someone who represents fate.

Apparently in this game, instead of the main characters chasing the bad guy, the bad is chasing them. Anyone know of fictional detectives who would fit the bill?
It'd be great if it was Sherlock Holmes. LeBlanc liked using him in his stories, even when Doyle still held the copyright to use the character. Just name him Sholmes, like he was forcibly renamed in the later stories.

Oh, do I have headcannons

You should ask me what I think about Sho Minazuki and Kanami Mashita
What do you think about Sho Minazuki and Kanami Mashita?

Top Bottom