• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT8| Coming Winter 2014

PV#03 is confirmed to feature the game running on PS4. Makes me happy, because I thought it looked a lot better than the older PVs.

I actually didn't like the singer's voice at first, it seemed kinda weak. Now that I've had another listen though I think it might've just been an issue with the mix or something, because her voice sounds great. I'd just prefer it being a little louder compared to the instruments. I definitely have high hopes for her, though.

Atlus uploaded a video of Soejima drawing up the poster that was shown at the TGS stage, the interesting thing is besides the poster itself is the bgm, which was used in the recent trailer. I assume it's a battle theme of sorts, leaning towards that it's a boss theme. I'm liking what I'm hearing of this soundtrack so far, very persona and yet very much it's own thing.

With a heavy heart:

FDVmGBR.png
Goalpost may have moved slightly with regards to the opening, but we did get the other "half" (as in vocals) of the song which is what I was expecting. And Yu's box is circled because Adachi's VA played DAN for a couple hours.

I expected something more considering how Atlus revealed PV03 at the beginning of the first stream and hyped up the stage event but that's just how the chips fell.

Lusankya

I'm pretty much going on blackout. They've shown a pretty hefty portion of this game already in my opinion.

I am only sensitive to story spoilers, so I am fine with gameplay info. They can show a lot of stuff without spoiling anything (for me), so I am looking forward to the next months.

Anyways, overall I am very happy with the amount of info we got at TGS. Of course the delay is not nice, but we got so much:

- Reveal of the new singer
- Voiced opening (still not the whole opening video)
- A meaty new trailer
- Soejima's artwork for the main characters
- A new party member
- List of voice actors
- A new track

I didn't expect much more than this.

Lunar15

Definitely more than I expected, but that's worse considering the delay.

Man, it's really starting to hit me now. Gettin' real disappointed.

Setsu00

I like how Caroline and Justine use the French pronounciations instead of the English ones. Also I kind of want to know what happens once they run out off Frankenstein names.

yami4ct

I am only sensitive to story spoilers, so I am fine with gameplay info. They can show a lot of stuff without spoiling anything (for me), so I am looking forward to the next months.

Anyways, overall I am very happy with the amount of info we got at TGS. Of course the delay is not nice, but we got so much:

- Reveal of the new singer
- Voiced opening (still not the whole opening video)
- A meaty new trailer
- Soejima's artwork for the main characters
- A new party member
- List of voice actors
- A new track

I didn't expect much more than this.

God, the voice cast is soooo good. Gonna make the lack of dual audio for the american release if/when that happens a real blow. How could I not listen to the Japanese VA when they have Sugita and Ikeda?

Lusankya

PV#03 is confirmed to feature the game running on PS4. Makes me happy, because I thought it looked a lot better than the older PVs.

I actually didn't like the singer's voice at first, it seemed kinda weak. Now that I've had another listen though I think it might've just been an issue with the mix or something, because her voice sounds great. I'd just prefer it being a little louder compared to the instruments. I definitely have high hopes for her, though.

Based on the Google translation (sigh...) he also says the game as a whole is finished and it needs mostly polishing and adjusting. Basically they apply the final touch to make sure this game will meet our huge expectations.

yami4ct

Based on the Google translation (sigh...) he also says the game as a whole is finished and it needs mostly polishing and adjusting. Basically they apply the final touch to make sure this game will meet our huge expectations.

If true, a pretty close localization would actually be really doable. If the script is done, no reason they can't localize and polish close to simultaneously.

QuadOpto

Saying the game is finished probably means they've completed the story and basically modeled everything for it. The polishing might have to do with a lot of graphical optimization and stuff. I thought they also said they wanted to flesh some things out a little bit more, to make this the "fullest" Persona yet?

I can imagine they've got a list of not necessarily vital things to add that they feel like putting in to make sure 5 is the best it can be. Who knows, we might not even need a "Definitive Edition" of Persona 5 down the road...

From Hashino's comments after the delay, it sounds like you're right in that the game is complete in terms of content. In addition to polish and debugging though, it also sounds like they're also doing stuff like adjusting game balance to make it better. Still, I haven't heard anything said yet that makes an nearly year long delay make sense to me. Granted, I know nothing of game development, so maybe this could make sense with some context.

I can imagine they've got a list of not necessarily vital things to add that they feel like putting in to make sure 5 is the best it can be. Who knows, we might not even need a "Definitive Edition" of Persona 5 down the road...
Haha, I wonder if that's actually part of the thought process? "I don't wanna bother with Persona 5 Crimson or whatever the hell we'd call it, let's just get it one and done."

Shun

Game is done "polishing" is mandatory DLC scenarios that add story elements and postgame as requested by Sega and Sony.
Who better to milk money from than the Persona fanbase?

(。◕ฺˇε ˇ◕ฺ。)

Who knows maybe summer 2016 is overshooting just so they don't have to delay again, and this thing will come out in the spring!

i can dream can't I?

Lusankya

Nearly a year sounds like more than polish to me, especially when this was billed as a 2014 game at one point.

Oh, but polish (including QA, bug fixing, balancing, etc) usually takes quite some time and it's not like once they're finished with the game they can publish it the next day.

yami4ct

Who knows maybe summer 2016 is overshooting just so they don't have to delay again, and this thing will come out in the spring!

i can dream can't I?

It also could be that once they missed Winter 2015, the next date that they thought would be appropriate wasn't until Summer. Didn't want to dump the game into Q1/Early Q2

Oh, but polish (including QA, bug fixing, balancing, etc) usually takes quite some time and it's not like once they're finished with the game they can publish it the next day.

Especially when that game is the biggest game you've made and it's running on two different systems. They clearly care about making sure the game isn't buggy when it comes out and that's hugely appreciated.

FluxWaveZ

Nearly a year sounds like more than polish to me, especially when this was billed as a 2014 game at one point.

Nah. As one with experience in QA, I can easily see a game the scope of Persona 5's being pretty much feature complete right now, and with the rest of the time devoted to polishing the game up. The time it takes for refinement shouldn't be underestimated, especially when it's a game as evidently ambitious and full of so many different aspects as Persona 5.

Especially when that game is the biggest game you've made and it's running on two different systems. They clearly care about making sure the game isn't buggy when it comes out and that's hugely appreciated.

Yep. Horror stories about all of these big budget games recently... it's nice to be assured that that very likely won't be the case with Persona 5. Fallout 4 is a highly anticipated game, yet there's a lot of fear about how buggy it will be because of precedent.

Zolo

As far as I can tell, Japanese games also tend to do better as far as not having as many bugs out the gate as Western games do.

Squire

Banned
Nah. As one with experience in QA, I can easily see a game the scope of Persona 5's being pretty much feature complete right now, and with the rest of the time devoted to polishing the game up. The time it takes for refinement shouldn't be underestimated, especially when it's a game as evidently ambitious and full of so many different aspects as Persona 5.

Yep. Horror stories about all of these big budget games recently... it's nice to be assured that that very likely won't be the case with Persona 5. Fallout 4 is a highly anticipated game, yet there's a lot of fear about how buggy it will be because of precedent.

Especially when you factor in even a guesstimate of the team size. Balancing and big testing for these guys is a whole other ball game from a big studio with hundreds of people (who still ship plenty of broken games.)

I do believe it's in beta (content complete), if that's what they say.

FluxWaveZ

Oh boy, I really messed this one up.

Also, the concept of a Persona 5 anime to introduce the actual game has been one I've had in mind for a while. I was suggesting that's what the P4D Special Blu-ray could have been back when it was announced. Depending on its format, it could be a good way of introducing us to the world of Persona 5 and make the wait until its release less arduous.

yami4ct

24-episode anime announced for January until release. Why play Persona 5 when you can watch it!

Are those the real details? Is it confirmed to follow the game story? If so, what the hell? I don't want a ton of P5 spoilers out there because a half assed anime exists.

A small OVA as an intro to the world sounds more likely and makes way more sense. It's a thing the Tales series has done a few times as well.

Zolo

A small OVA as an intro to the world sounds more likely and makes way more sense. It's a thing the Tales series has done a few times as well.

Seems to be the latter. That said, I would still guess it's the intro of the game considering the protagonist only gets to the city at the beginning of the game.

yami4ct

Seems to be the latter. That said, I would still guess it's the intro of the game considering the protagonist only gets to the city at the beginning of the game.

Doesn't have to involve the protagonist. Morgana seems to have been fighting shadows for a while. It's possible Ryuji and Anne have as well. I could easily see them doing an anime that features a previous adventure with that group, introduces us to how the shadows in P5 work and ends with Protagonist getting into town.

Zolo

Looking around the web, I can only imagine how upset everyone would be if they announced the delay with the Persona 5 trailer at the end instead of the beginning.

Zolo

Also, for those who care about it, the anime special likely means we'll get the protagonist's official name before the game.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Cool theme song, although I kind of preferred it as an instrumental.

Based on tweaking Sophia's work here's what I think the lyrics are:

Who am?
I'm about to think
Maybe I'm not here at all.
Reckon the fakers
Lying as they laugh
To break us all, us all...

Ah, it's useless.
What could it mean that we're here?
Can we make a difference?
If we don't break out of here?

Wake up, get up, get out there.
Raise our voice against liars
Feel the rhyme, they're like fire
Like a slow burn it won't change.
Just imagine you're out there.
Swatting lies in the making
Can't look fast, we're not faking
If you hold on life won't change.

Man, why is Lotus Juice so cool?

He has returned.

Well, my media blackout lasted, what, two days? That trailer was sooooo good, the delay just got even more painful to deal with.

Aesthetics on point, gameplay looks like a very welcome departure, music is great, and I'm already in love with the cast. Just let me pre order this already.......

QuadOpto

Maybe. His mask is very fox like, but as far as I can tell his costume is white, while the Fox's costume is dark brown.

I think people keep getting confused because
the one close-up of him with his mask on has him in his white, normal clothes. This is the case with Anne too, before she summons her Persona.

After he summons his Persona, you can easily see his clothing turn to one that matches the first trailer, so Blue-Haired Guy being the Fox Thief is basically confirmed. It also makes sense; he's the only un-announced one they've even shown off for now.

There is definitely another member to the team, but they've edited everything as hard as possible to make sure we don't even get a good look at them. The only evidence are the two slightly different female voices at the beginning of the trailer; one being Anne and one unknown for now.

Spoilered just in case.

Top Bottom