• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Lynx_7

I mean, to follow up on my previous post with a little more substance: I feel like P5's plot goes off the rails to some extent near the end, in the sense that I like the ideas of what they were going for but the execution is kind of muddled and a few important character beats get lost as a result.

Dantis having a field day tonight. lol
Curious to see why the last stretch of P5 is somewhat divisive considering P3 and P4 are usually praised for their endings
, Izanami notwithstanding.

Dantis having a field day tonight. lol
Curious to see why the last stretch of P5 is somewhat divisive considering P3 and P4 are usually praised for their endings
, Izanami notwithstanding.

People liked the finales of P3 and P4 because those are the only parts of the games that had actual story.

I mean, to follow up on my previous post with a little more substance: I feel like P5's plot goes off the rails to some extent near the end, in the sense that I like the ideas of what they were going for but the execution is kind of muddled and a few important character beats get lost as a result. I also feel like the game's themes of catharsis and taking down corruption occasionally dance a little close to wish fulfillment/power fantasies, especially in some of the co-ops.

I suppose so, but that's sort of... a theme in the Persona series. Persona 1 and Persona 2 are literally about wish fulfillment (in P1 you're literally trapped in someone else's power fantasy and P2 is all "call up this dude and he'll grant your wish" (and then later "call up this dude and he'll grant your wish, as long as your wish is to murder someone"), and P3 and P4 fall into the more common "Your player avatar is the strongest and coolest and bestest person in town and everyone wants to date them and you save the world!!"

My other big critique is that the game feels a little too safe, in the sense that it replays the P3/P4 formula to a T (if polished to a shine). But for some people that's totally fine!

Yeah, I talked about this a few pages ago: It plays it really safe, but I don't necessarily fault them for doing so, because the HD market has been the downfall of many a JRPG maker. But then they also seemed to feel they played it too safe and founded a studio to make a fantasy game so.

I don't know why everyone thought Cherami Leigh wouldn't work as Makoto, that role is custom made for her.

The only one I'm worried about at this point is Haru, and even then the voice they picked isn't a bad fit.

Hopefully this [localization] will be your answer to that. :p

People liked the finales of P3 and P4 because those are the only parts of the games that had actual story.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

I'm not really a fan of Makoto. Though this fanart just made me kinda fall in love.

XHRiJg7.jpg
LCCzyRA.jpg

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I find statements like "the game is not perfect" or "it has flaws" very... Useless as a piece of criticism? Really obvious? You can apply it to any given piece of media you could think of, it's hardly something worth mentioning as a negative. This isn't particularly aimed at any of you guys, but moreso the general discourse surrounding critically acclaimed games such as BOTW and Nier Automata lately, specially the former. The last few posts just gave me an excuse to bring it up.

Perfection as a measurement of quality is useless. It's an ideal to strive for but not an achievable goal, specially considering how abstract and subjective it is in the first place. Something doesn't need to be perfect to be a 10/10 in the eyes of many.

That said, tempering your expectations is always good advice.

I mean yeah still not the world we live in. There are reviewers and people that think a 10 is perfection. Doesn't help that some people are insanely drunk on the P5 hype.
When I looked through my old post I saw that I too mentioned it had flaws once I finished it. So really for me it was a matter of trying to paint an accurate picture of what expectations one should have. In the last 6-7 months I would repeat these two things a lot.

- It's a better persona game in almost every way by any objective measure don't expect anything else
- That doesn't mean it's going to be your favorite cause it will strongly depend on how you connect with the themes and story(example P4 and P3)

One thing I can say now that I couldn't back then is that it's a game that stuck with me. I'm legit excited for other people to finally play it despite having finished it months ago. That's not something that usually happens for me. I play a lot of stuff and usually I mentally move on fast. But this game never really left me entirely.
Also watching videos of certain parts strongly invokes certain emotions I had. Like Morgana's VO close to the end is so fantastic and makes the scene so charged.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
question: which trait do i max to date makoto? i seem to recall a while back somone couldnt start relationship with maktoo cuz one fo their stat is lacking

Lunar15

I think everyone's so antsy about review scores because we're coming of a slew of games that reviewed very highly. Zelda, in particular, is one of the highest rated games in quite some time. I think people treat review scores like a commodity and want to see this game they've been waiting for do just as good if not better.

The problem is, and I've mentioned this before, reviews are literally expectation vs. delivery. Expectations color someone's review, and that's a good thing in the context of someone describing their time and what they learned and didn't learn from the game. However, it makes comparing review scores virtually impossible.

P4 and P4G were gateway drugs to Persona for a lot of reviewers. They had no expectations going in and were blown away by the level of polish and detail. Small issues like plot lulls, dungeon design, and certain character quirks were ignored due to the sheer impact the game had on a lot of reviewers. The same is somewhat true for Zelda, which bucks long-standing trends and really gave reviewers no idea of what the game was going to be until it came out. The impact was visible.

This is why you see lines in reviews like, "It played it safe", or it's "more of the same", because reviewers are trying to reconcile what they're experiencing with the score they're obligated to give to the game.

All that said, the game's going to do score very nicely and I think people are basically worried about nothing because you're all going to come back here in two weeks with your own set of complaints and passion-points.

Tunoku

Is anyone here making a review thread? Not signing up for it, just asking. I feel like someone was talking about it at some point this week.

xCobalt

I haven't been following persona 5 much but I'm wondering how strict is the schedule (if there is one)? One of the things I disliked about the previous games was that you needed a guide or a strict regiment to max out stats.

Setsu00

I haven't been following persona 5 much but I'm wondering how strict is the schedule (if there is one)? One of the things I disliked about the previous games was that you needed a guide or a strict regiment to max out stats.

Going by the reviews it still seems pretty tough.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

It's quite a bit easier than in prior games if you know what you're doing.
I did it blind all links max/max stats cause there were no guides available for anything.
That's something I would have never managed in prior games even with my familiarity of the series.

Mediking

Which is why my 1st playthru will be my own experience (Easy Mode) with English subtitles but my 2nd will use a guide and Japanese acting and a harder difficulty

Dantis

Lol!

In all seriousness, it's reviewing really well. I'd be very surprised if it stayed at 94, but it's good that people are enjoying it so much.

Regardless of what people think, I've never said P5 is anything but a great game, it's kust not what I would have considered the greatest game, and the current raving reviews don't change anything around that for me. I still have a lot of issues with the narrative, regardless. I still think the OST is too limited. I still think the framing device is a waste of time.

And that's fine. I've had my copy on preorder for ages, and am looking forward to playing it next week.

Some people got very upset because I said it wasn't 10/10 best game ever, and that is nothing if not amusing.

Lol!

In all seriousness, it's reviewing really well. I'd be very surprised if it stayed at 94, but it's good that people are enjoying it so much.

Regardless of what people think, I've never said P5 is anything but a great game, it's kust not what I would have considered the greatest game, and the current raving reviews don't change anything around that for me. I still have a lot of issues with the narrative, regardless. I still think the OST is too limited. I still think the framing device is a waste of time.

And that's fine. I've had my copy on preorder for ages, and am looking forward to playing it next week.

Some people got very upset because I said it wasn't 10/10 best game ever, and that is nothing if not amusing.

People were just calling you out on the import thread because you didn't even understand Japanese. How accurately could you critique a game you don't even understand?

DNAbro

Lol!

Well I think the main thing against your opinion is not being able to read Japanese. We basically have the same understanding of the story I didn't even play it, just watched a stream. I'm curious how your opinion might change after playing it in English.

Lusankya

Would it be a spoiler if I looked up who has that arcana?

No, the character is shown super early in the game and also was in trailers and other advertising.

Btw. I really like what people are saying about the game. One reviewer from GamePro Germany wrote he usually isn't into anime aesthetic at all, but Persona 5 immediately hooked him. He thinks it's not only the best JRPG he ever played but one of the best RPGs in general.

Dantis

Well I think the main thing against your opinion is not being able to read Japanese. We basically have the same understanding of the story I didn't even play it, just watched a stream. I'm curious how your opinion might change after playing it in English.

The things I have a problem with are pretty big, but I guess it's not impossible. We'll see. I'm looking forward to playing it again. The dungeon stuff is what I'm most looking forward to right now. It's really, really solid.

Lunar15

The P5 review thread hasn't gone completely off the rails yet.

Hoping it lasts.

The thread has been doing well, but neither Edge nor Digital Trends has been added to the MC. The score will likely come down, but just hoping thread doesn't go bonkers or anything.

The funny thing is that all of the complaints and praises match the import thread exactly. Nothing in these reviews is particularly surprising. And the same complaints/praises will show up in the OT eventually.

You're right, that comes tomorrow. ;)

I mean, I hate to be the one to say "We told you so!"...

But, yeah. We kinda did.

The P5 review thread hasn't gone completely off the rails yet.

Hoping it lasts.

It seems like the etiquette guidelines in the OP are helping a bit, but the scores haven't been added to the MC yet either, so we'll see.

Hopefully people don't go flipping tables and sending threats.

MSMrRound

Would it be a spoiler if I looked up who has that arcana?

As someone who played through the import version....yes...

Seriously, I 'll recommend people to go for a blind run for their first playthrough. Even looking up some stuff e.g Arcanas etc can potentially ruin some of the surprises for you like what it did for me.

Sophia

I still have a lot of issues with the narrative, regardless.

People were just calling you out on the import thread because you didn't even understand Japanese. How accurately could you critique a game you don't even understand?

Something of note here: People not understanding or making assumptions about the narrative because they didn't understood Japanese resulted in a lot of weird crazy edits to TVTropes. Edits which later had to be removed or rewritten because it turns out people's idea of the narrative wasn't entirely correct. =P

It really helps to have it in English, especially due to all the nuisances that could be lost otherwise. Otherwise one's perception is a bit skewed.

This only applies to the narrative stuff, and not to stuff like the soundtrack, of course.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Something of note here: People not understanding or making assumptions about the narrative because they didn't understood Japanese resulted in a lot of weird crazy edits to TVTropes. Edits which later had to be removed or rewritten because it turns out people's idea of the narrative wasn't entirely correct. =P

It really helps to have it in English, especially due to all the nuisances that could be lost otherwise. Otherwise one's perception is a bit skewed.

This only applies to the narrative stuff, and not to stuff like the soundtrack, of course.

Not surprised. People made really stupid post assuming stuff while missing all the important nuance. Was honestly impossible to discuss at times given that you weren't even arguing about the same experience, especially when the side that that was missing out on all of it was so insistent on their version constantly bending and shifting the argument until you were kind of wondering what you were actually talking about.

Sophia

Not surprised. People made really stupid post assuming stuff while missing all the important nuance. Was honestly impossible to discuss at times given that you weren't even arguing about the same experience, especially when the side that that was missing out on all of it was so insistent on their version constantly bending and shifting the argument until you were kind of wondering what you were actually talking about.

Yeah, and like all Persona games, Persona 5 is heavy in the little details. How the characters speak and act around each other, to start off with.

Not to say that this applies entirely to Dantis. I know he has a decent enough understand of the story and such. But even still, if you're not proficient in the language, you're going to lose the small details. It's why I'm excited to play it in English, despite watching all the story cutscenes in Japanese already.

(Serious spoilers ahead)

Yeah, I'm reminded of the weird context-less statements I saw regarding
The argument between actual Goro and Cognitive Goro during the second to last dungeon.

If you can't speak Japanese, there's pretty much no way to know
which of the two Goros is a fake, and so one statement I saw was that the one you were fighting as a boss was the fake which is 100000% untrue.

Top Bottom