• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

I don't know if the opposite (japanese student to Korea) would work as well though because it runs the risk of being interpreted as "glorious nihonjin Jesus figure is unjustly mistreated by unhonorable foreigners while showing them the true way for greatness(friendship)". Kinda like the whole "white man learns the native's ways, bangs the chief's daughter and becomes their greatest leader" deal. :p

Oh god.

Yeah. None of that. Last thing we need is James Cameron's Persona.

daevious

Oh god.

Yeah. None of that. Last thing we need is James Cameron's Persona.

persona5.png

Mediking

What were your problems with Kanji's story? There are many potential issues, so I'm just curious.

I just wanna see masculinity addressed in a social link. Better writing than Kanji's. A more mature perspective on masculinity. It's hard to explain but I just wanna see how Atlus handles it.

When you're talking about racism do you mean against black people or just racism in general? Because in a way, at least from the little I've read about you guys discussing it here, that's kiiiind of touched upon with Anne because of her american heritage.

I'm not an expert but Japan seems to have a more widespread problem with xenophobia than racism, which is probably why you don't see many japanese media dealing with the latter. I might be talking out of my ass though so don't quote me on that.

Ann is facing racial tension in P5? Okay, I'll be sure to examine how Atlus handles that.

Me too. But you know it's not gonna happen...

Persona 6 is going to have a Female MC , the final battle is going to be so big is going to reset the universe .... then in Persona 7 is going to be Persona 1 MC again but an alternate / new universe version

I'm like....... 75% sure we will be seeing a female Persona lead next time.

Jintor

yeah all that stuff from pre-release was completely overblown and/or guesswork lmao. for all intents and purposes she's basically 100% japanese albeit in a shitty social situation

Jintor

i don't want to give a definitive answer on the writing because i'm still at an elementary schooler comprehension level if that but from what I understand it's very much steady progress of the level of quality in P4 and addressing themes that would be more immediately relevant to the typical Japanese audience...

...which is to say, racism and LGBT issues are not really on the cards.

Dugna

I've been trying to be in as big of media blackout for the US release for P5, but I've recently got a job again and I was wondering where I could buy the 20th Anniversary edition the cheapest? I looked at Playasia and its still $200+

If anybody has any good recommendations that would be great.

GSR

i don't want to give a definitive answer on the writing because i'm still at an elementary schooler comprehension level if that but from what I understand it's very much steady progress of the level of quality in P4 and addressing themes that would be more immediately relevant to the typical Japanese audience...

Hey now, let's be fair. The game has a whole two gay comic relief middle aged pervs hitting on teens, and a drag queen bartender!

(The bartender's actually a pretty cool guy but my eyes rolled out my head whenever the other guys showed up)

Mediking

I've been trying to be in as big of media blackout for the US release for P5, but I've recently got a job again and I was wondering where I could buy the 20th Anniversary edition the cheapest? I looked at Playasia and its still $200+

If anybody has any good recommendations that would be great.

Amazon-senpai says hi.

Hey now, let's be fair. The game has a whole two gay comic relief middle aged pervs hitting on teens, and a drag queen bartender!

(The bartender's actually a pretty cool guy but my eyes rolled out my head whenever the other guys showed up)

At least it's not P3's Question Mark-chan.

PK Gaming

"The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

I've been reading Shimanami Tasogare and it goes in on what it's like to be gay highschooler in Japan. The intense loneliness, anxiety, discrimination and social isolation is too much to bear.

WlTjhgn.png
REI1A6b.png

731srQs.png

It's heavy.

I know i'm repeating myself Persona 6 needs to cover this. If Persona is a franchise that prides itself on covering unspoken issues relating to Japanese culture, it definitely, definitely needs to cover this. No more dumb jokes. No more stalling. It needs to do this.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What a waste then. Atlus could've really done something special with racial tension with Ann.

Dunno about waste that's just not what her story is about.
I mean is it a waste that Yosuke's social link wasn't about the shitty side of capitalism and the people being caught between that and their morals?
Not that those topics wouldn't make interesting personal conflicts but if we call every single thing that a game doesn't do a missed opportunity or waste, not sure if I subscribe to this thought.

Mediking

I mean is it a waste that Yosuke's social link wasn't about the shitty side of capitalism and the people being caught between that and their morals?
Not that those topics wouldn't make interesting personal conflicts but if we call every single thing that a game doesn't do a missed opportunity or waste, not sure if I subscribe to this thought.

Its hard to explain because I want Atlus to address racism in the future in Persona. I kinda wished it was addressed with Ann but that doesn't mean she's trash. There's always next time.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Its hard to explain because I want Atlus to address racism in the future in Persona. I kinda wished it was addressed with Ann but that doesn't mean she's trash. There's always next time.

I mean that's fine and not really what I was arguing I was simply pointing out that there is a difference between a wasted chance within a story and a story just being about something entirely else. Personal feelings don't really play into that judgement.

Dantis

I don't think Persona prides itself on covering social issues. I think it prides itself on writing interesting character stories that evoke empathy.

Am I alone in this?

jzbluz

I feel sometimes like Atlus won't want to have a female MC because of waifu culture, and not wanting to alienate their fanbase. But it's not just that, didn't one of their employees said in an interview that a female MC wouldn't fit into the themes and settings of SMT? Different series, but I could see the P team saying something similar.

"The nail that sticks out gets hammered down."

I've been reading Shimanami Tasogare and it goes in on what it's like to be gay highschooler in Japan. The intense loneliness, anxiety, discrimination and social isolation is too much to bear.

WlTjhgn.png
REI1A6b.png

731srQs.png

It's heavy.

I know i'm repeating myself Persona 6 needs to cover this. If Persona is a franchise that prides itself on covering unspoken issues relating to Japanese culture, it definitely, definitely needs to cover this. No more dumb jokes. No more stalling. It needs to do this.

This sounds interesting, and short in comparison to Wandering Son, so I should read it. People like to argue otherwise, but it feels like LGBT issues are becoming more mainstream(?). I mean, even BL is dealing more with characters actually being gay, and that genre is notorious for being unrealistic and even homophobic.

This is true. Persona is more about relatability than social commentary, anyway.

PK Gaming

I don't think Persona prides itself on covering social issues. I think it prides itself on writing interesting character stories that evoke empathy.

Am I alone in this?

FEH

Maybe "covering societal issues" was a poor choice of words on my part, but I've always felt that Persona's been about challenging the status quo in addition to writing stories that evoke empathy. And I think writing stories around a group of people who are marginalized would achieve both. You always harp on how much better and more "TLoU-like" you want Persona's narrative to be, so this should be a no brainer!

giphy.gif

Zolo

But not really? Her issues was that people had a bunch of expectations because of how she looks, and that her dad wanted her to be some kind of Yamato Nadeshiko. She's also pretty popular and even becomes an idol.

Yeah. Lisa's issue was more one of identity. Her parents wanted her to be the perfect Japanese lady. All her friends and other associates thought her American side was cool and always associated that with her. Meanwhile, she herself, is really obsessed with Chinese culture.

And yeah. I do agree that Persona's more about making relatable and everyday characters you can feel empathy more than specifically covering social issues even though they clearly have an interest such as attacking some traditional thinking here and there.

barybll

Banned

Am I alone in this?

It had to be Dantis.....

You are correct, persona isnt a social issues checklist
Maybe "covering societal issues" was a poor choice of words on my part, but I've always felt that Persona's been about challenging the status quo in addition to writing stories that evoke empathy. And I think writing stories around a group of people who are marginalized would achieve both. You always harp on how much better and more "TLoU-like" you want Persona's narrative to be, so this should be a no brainer!

giphy.gif

Im on the camp that believes that the characters that they wanted to write happened to align with japan society flaws,because that makes interesting narrative.

PK Gaming

It had to be Dantis.....

You are correct, persona isnt a social issues checklist

Im on the camp that believes that the characters that they wanted to write happened to align with japan society flaws,because that makes interesting narrative.

Woah, roll that back. Nobody said anything about making it a social issues checklist. I just think maybe tackling one of the bigger issues in Japanese culture would be interesting, fun and relatable for many? Or I guess they could stick to making fun of gay people with stereotypes. That works too.

Hrm? I have been on media blackout for months now on P5.

Also, nice Asahi avatar! I'm playing through Apocalypse right now and am loving it.

Yeah with the costume DLC, music and merch, it really feels like Atlus is making a conscious effort to reference the older games.

Apocalypse is great and Asahi is even greater~

Zolo

Then someone in upper management will go "Ha!...No. Make him Yu Narukami 2.0"

Yeah. I don't see it happening with something as popular as a mainline entry without a choice. Maybe a spinoff like Catherine.

Even the Jojo author pretty much had his editors constantly telling him to lessen focus on female characters (maybe until part 4 anyway).

jzbluz

I assumed that wanting the game to tackled LGBT issues has more to with wanting a gay option, which would naturally lead to the game handling those issues. Unless they went the route of the stereotypical BL with characters being gfy. I feel like if a gay option happens anytime soon that it would probably be to pander to the fujoshi crowd, so gfy could be likelier.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Yeah. I don't see it happening with something as popular as a mainline entry without a choice. Maybe a spinoff like Catherine.

Even the Jojo author pretty much had his editors constantly telling him to lessen focus on female characters (maybe until part 4 anyway).

I mean I guess they could. Look at the next Tales of. well, then again, Tales isn't as popular as Persona isn't it?

Zolo

I mean I guess they could. Look at the next Tales of. well, then again, Tales isn't as popular as Persona isn't it?

Tales gets a new entry almost every year, and it still took the latest entry to get a female protagonist. A near yearly release I would think also allows for a bit more experimentation. At least as far as Japan is concerned, comparing Persona popularity to Tales of is more comparable than to Final Fantasy.

Mediking

Then someone in upper management will go "Ha!...No. Make him Yu Narukami 2.0"

Its sad because I just freaking know that Atlus has the potential to create a super awesome mainline female lead for Persona. She could even surpass Female (Mass Effect) Shepard's popularity. And female Shepard is far more popular than male Shepard.

Moaradin

Its sad because I just freaking know that Atlus has the potential to create a super awesome mainline female lead for Persona. She could even surpass Female (Mass Effect) Shepard's popularity. And female Shepard is far more popular than male Shepard.

Eh I don't know about that.

lotufo

Neo Member
Quick question for Persona 5 importers: does the game play well on PS3 or is it one of those "PS3 version is a literally unplayable poor version of the PS4 game?"

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
The only weird performance dip I ever experienced in P5 and actually on the PS4 is when you try to use the map in your own room. It somehow takes a second to load weirdly whereas it's pretty instant everywhere else.

Top Bottom