• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Makio

As much as this dub seems more and more like a chain reaction of miscasts. Xanthe seems like a slam dunk going by what I've heard of her work.

Can't wait to see how they cock that up. :/

We are talking about a dub dont sell me 100% Matthew Mercer ... frickin Matthew Mercer ....

Im not getting my hopes too up.

(Maybe because is the first time i listen the japanese dub before the english one)

But cant understand how they got that SOLID cast make it sound so off , miscasted and unnatural like Dantis says.

We are talking about a dub dont sell me 100% Matthew Mercer ... frickin Matthew Mercer ....

Im not getting my hopes too up.

(Maybe because is the first time i listen the japanese dub before the english one)

But cant understand how they got that SOLID cast make it sound so off , miscasted and unnatural like Dantis says.

To play devil's advocate (a bit dramatic, but that's the term we have), I was pretty sold on Matt Mercer playing Yusuke as a deep-voiced, dramatic weirdo. That's actually pretty in line with the JP version.

I'm thinking I should stay away from this thread because my low standards would probably not notice anything wrong, but I'm also super easily swayed if I see enough negativity.

I wanna be able to enjoy this game and I can't do it if I'm hyper analyzing the dub every goddamn second to see if I'm 'wrong' or not.

Sophia

I'm not that cynical on the voice acting. Most of it from the preview stream sounded fine. One or two odd casts that still delivers a good performance is a non-issue. Likewise, I don't think most of the written dialogue sounded that bad.

Strimei

I'm honestly fine with not trying to 100% emulate the Japanese voice.

I mean, it worked for Rise, after all. I loathe Rise's Japanese voice, and bear in mind I'm a huge fan of Rie Kugimiya. For some reason Rie just is so shrill there.

So frankly, Futaba's is fine.

And I agree with Sophia, I don't think the written dialogue sounded all that bad. Tae's was the only one that I may've had any sort of problem with, and its more that I'm just not impressed with the character to begin with, really.

edit: So Futaba's Oracle instead of Navi in english, eh? I like that.

I'm honestly fine with not trying to 100% emulate the Japanese voice.

I mean, it worked for Rise, after all. I loathe Rise's Japanese voice, and bear in mind I'm a huge fan of Rie Kugimiya. For some reason Rie just is so shrill there.

So frankly, Futaba's is fine.

And I agree with Sophia, I don't think the written dialogue sounded all that bad. Tae's was the only one that I may've had any sort of problem with, and its more that I'm just not impressed with the character to begin with, really.

Both Rise and Teddie.

It's not even "Not 1:1 with the JP cast! GRR! ARGH!!" My sentiment is more "I don't think this fits the character, and lacks traits that worked well in JP."

Unless of course they're trying to be distinct, what with the whole dual audio this time around?

Also 'Oracle' is a way less conspicuous codename than "THIS IS OUR NAVIGATOR". Maybe even a nice shout-out to Fuuka.

Strimei

Both Rise and Teddie.

It's not even "Not 1:1 with the JP cast! GRR! ARGH!!" My sentiment is more "I don't think this fits the character, and lacks traits that worked well in JP."

Unless of course they're trying to be distinct, what with the whold dual audio this time around?

I'm probably being a bit too wide in my comment, I realize. I just feel like some people (in general at least) want something exactly the same. I think different sorts of voices can work for the same character. Futaba's feels fine to me, but personal opinion of course. I will admit its a tad deeper than I would've expected but I have no complaints.

Dantis

I feel like they got Makoto's and Futaba's actresses backwards.

Makoto sounds younger, and sounds super dorky and bad when she does her "FISTS OF JUSTICE!!!" line, which would actually work okay for Futaba.

Futaba, comparatively, is the most normal sounding character in the game.

I definitely feel like Atlus US could have done better here.

Makoto sounds younger, and sounds super dorky and bad when she does her "FISTS OF JUSTICE!!!" line, which would actually work okay for Futaba.

Futaba, comparatively, is the most normal sounding character in the game.

I definitely feel like Atlus US could have done better here.

Exactly. The talent's clearly there, it just seems to be misassigned.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

After hearing Futaba's VA, I completely agree. Futaba sounds much more mature in almost all of her lines.

Cocky, sure, but in a more mature way. that + the general slightly deeper tone....it works decently on her, but at Makoto's expense.

The only outlier is 'here come the buffs' seems a little younger/exuberant' but I could also easily see a milder version of Makoto's VA doing that instead of her terrible 'Fist of Justice' line.

PK Gaming

While I agree that Erica would have killed it as Makoto, that's literally only because Erica's goddamn amazing and can do pretty much any voice.

Those of you who've played Apocalypse know the score; Futaba is going to sound a lot better in practice. I'm absolutely positive if you took a bunch out of context voice clips of Rise sounding mature, it would out of place too but it works damn well in practice.

Makio

As a Batman fan love this , Futaba japanese Barbara Gordon confirmed.
--------

And about the dub thats the point , nobody talking shit about VA performances it just feels like Valerie Arem (oh whoever choose which VA voice each character) got the right cast and put it randomly in those characters despite it works or not
For we got so far it feels those choices could work better for example : Cherami' Makoto voice would work better in the twins or Futaba , Price ' Sojiro sound like a boss in the game more than his character , DC Douglas would do something faithful for Sojiro , Tae serious voice is what i want for Sae Niijima , Carrie Keranen works better in Adult roles thats why her velvet twins sound so forced despite she is amazing actress , Morgana simply dont sound like a mascot character ...
They could choose better for sure

Ryuji and Ann are fine but he get rekt because he cant say his own last name properly and the other is inconsistent in her delivery (according to the livestream) something she sound childish others way serious more collected and we are talking lines deliver in battle (so is no something of regular Ann vs Thief Ann)

Of course the dub sounds better in game than the trailers according to the livestream but is not a 180 change either if you dont like a voice in the trailers chances are you not gonna like it in game either despite some lines are deliver better

PD : It seems PK Gaming is to based / fixed in Lindbeck .... i dont blame it i would do the same(going defensive) if Cristina Vee would end in this and her delivery sounded so off or got miscast like this.

While I agree that Erica would have killed it as Makoto, that's literally only because Erica's goddamn amazing and can do pretty much any voice.

Those of you who've played Apocalypse know the score; Futaba is going to sound a lot better in practice. I'm absolutely positive if you took a bunch out of context voice clips of Rise sounding mature, it would out of place too but it works damn well in practice.
She sounds great in the trailer already. Far too much time spent looking at what the Japanese version did when its nearly irrelevant to making things work in english. We've known this for years, but for some reason this era has gotten people forgetting that and immediately making direct comparisons. The casting choices are only weird and random if you are trying to immediately pair them up with how they sound in japanese. I dont know what any character sounds like in Japanese at this point except for morgana due to the dual audio announcement. That would never fucking work in English. Its certainly possible that some of the characters and voices might not work out (Sakamoto needs fixed), but the trailers based on whats presented are showing an english take on things similar to how this series always has. Its worked out great in the past.

Remember that most people playing this game wont ever even hear the japanese, judge it on how it stands on its own.

Complaints specifically about the translation for proper localization make more sense to read. "Honest school life" definitely would be more natural as "be good honest student" in english. Of course after "Killing school life" I'm pretty used to the whole school life term.

As a Batman fan love this , Futaba japanese Barbara Gordon confirmed.
--------

And about the dub thats the point , nobody talking shit about VA performances it just feels like Valerie Arem (oh whoever choose which VA voice each character) got the right cast and put it randomly in those characters despite it works or not
For we got so far it feels those choices could work better for example : Cherami' Makoto voice would work better in the twins or Futaba , Price ' Sojiro sound like a boss in the game more than his character , DC Douglas would do something faithful for Sojiro , Tae serious voice is what i want for Sae Niijima , Carrie Keranen works better in Adult roles thats why her velvet twins sound so forced despite she is amazing actress , Morgana simply dont sound like a mascot character ...
They could choose better for sure

Well, if SMT4A is anything to go by, it's Valerie and Keith Arem on this.

And again, it's not "This isn't the Japanese voice", it's "This doesn't feel like this kind of character, and there's the Japanese voices for precedent"

I don't like the P5 MC's voice....

I didn't really notice...

Then again, you'll be hearing him WAY more than Yu or P3MC.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.kk1up.jp/archives/m88547.html

More scales.

81a05988217d839293ac355dd70e2f84.jpg
7ebc72919294946797262ee877285dd8.jpg
b0257109e2eecda7053eda644d059079.jpg

Jintor

that raggedy-ass ensemble isn't something that was thrown on in the morning, she spent like an afternoon crafting it to say "Yes, I am a dischevelled mess, but look at how fucking stylish a mess I am"

Dugna

here's my question: if futaba is a hikkikomori why is she so god damn stylish

that raggedy-ass ensemble isn't something that was thrown on in the morning, she spent like an afternoon crafting it to say "Yes, I am a dischevelled mess, but look at how fucking stylish a mess I am"

Because anime, like a lot of the persona stuff. Even with the more grounded designs for jrpgs it's still a jrpg.

Thanks for welcoming me with the great responses, guys.

I understood Persona 4 isn't a game I should have to grind if I'm playing on Normal difficulty or below.

Well, I'm on Normal and Shadow Mitsuo seems wholly unreasonable. I don't think I'm anywhere near a high enough level (hovering around 35, I think).

Does it have to rain for several days straight before the fog sets in? I'm thinking of spending a few in-game days just leveling...which isn't really what I wanted to have to do.

Unless there's a good strategy I'm not seeing.

Ugh, I was hoping not to hit any "brick wall" bosses, since the difficulty has been very manageable so far.

Lynx_7

In Persona (and Shin Megami Tensei in general), it's generally better to fuse better personas than to grind levels, unless you're specifically grinding to fuse better stuff. I think I beat Shadow Mitsuo with a Black Frost, iirc.

In Persona (and Shin Megami Tensei in general), it's generally better to fuse better personas than to grind levels, unless you're specifically grinding to fuse better stuff. I think I beat Shadow Mitsuo with a Black Frost, iirc.

Fusing gets a little convoluted for me. I may need a guide for help with that.

PK Gaming

Thanks for welcoming me with the great responses, guys.

I understood Persona 4 isn't a game I should have to grind if I'm playing on Normal difficulty or below.

Well, I'm on Normal and Shadow Mitsuo seems wholly unreasonable. I don't think I'm anywhere near a high enough level (hovering around 35, I think).

Does it have to rain for several days straight before the fog sets in? I'm thinking of spending a few in-game days just leveling...which isn't really what I wanted to have to do.

Unless there's a good strategy I'm not seeing.

Ugh, I was hoping not to hit any "brick wall" bosses, since the difficulty has been very manageable so far.

Yeah... Shadow Mitsuo is a boss that everyone struggles with on their first time. That damn shield just drives me up a wall, you know? Anyway, grinding isn't something you should need to do ordinarily, but you'll need to be at least level 38 in order to fuse Black Frost, and getting that Persona is by far the most efficient way to beat him (Mind Charge + Agidyne wrecks it). In order to fuse it you need to perform a 5 way fusion with: Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, King Frost, Pixie and Ghoul. With the exception of King Frost, most of these are pretty easy to get and you can buy them back with the compendium.

If you can find a Golden Hand, you can speed up the grinding process significantly. Basically, there's this neat exploit where if you find and defeat one, you can move up a floor and back down again to almost guarantee a respawn. Killing them is difficult, but if you fuse the level 35 demon Tao Tai, it has Megido which basically one shots them.

Team wise, you should be running Yosuke(support), Kanji(damage) and Teddie(healing).

daevious

The manual for the PS2 version (dunno about Vita version) came with a fusion chart in hand, so if you're really lost then you can turn to that for help.

Otherwise? There really isn't a reason to get worried over fusion unless you're trying to make the perfect Persona, because nine times out of ten, just fusing upwards should get you the right abilities to deal with anything that comes your way.

Mediking

I'm thinking I should stay away from this thread because my low standards would probably not notice anything wrong, but I'm also super easily swayed if I see enough negativity.

I wanna be able to enjoy this game and I can't do it if I'm hyper analyzing the dub every goddamn second to see if I'm 'wrong' or not.

Ehhh.... don't worry. When you play it, you will be making your OWN experience and opinion. No matter what anybody says.

Just recently, I used to think Noctis' English voice in FFXV was trash (many people did) but after playing it for a good while... I think his voice really fits him.

See? Your own experience is your own experience.

Ehhh.... don't worry. When you play it, you will be making your OWN experience and opinion. No matter what anybody says.

Just recently, I used to think Noctis' English voice in FFXV was trash (many people did) but after playing it for a good while... I think his voice really fits him.

See? Your own experience is your own experience.
I mean they did opt to change the direction of his voice due to feedback and all.

Lynx_7

Oh, don't worry about that, I still kinda don't understand how that shit works on a fundamental level either, I just use the search function and fuse whatever looks stronger. Worse yet, in P4 I just manually selected each Persona one by one to see what I could make. I didn't even pay attention to weaknesses or what they were strong to back then, and I played on Normal!
As long as you renew your stock by fusing the weaker Personas into stronger Personas so you can recruit more Personas you should be fine, no need to plan ahead or follow convoluted fusion guides.

Makio

Team wise, you should be running Yosuke(support), Kanji(damage) and Teddie(healing).

The face when you never use this combination as a team. I try it someday in a Golden run.

(Yukiko is my main party member in P4 always use her + random other members and never had a problem).

PK Gaming

I was generally Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko oddly enough. I guess I just got used to all 3 of the original members.

That's my favorite party as well. I call em the Golden 4

It's just Teddie convenient in that fight because he starts with Mediarama (Yukiko doesn't get it until level 42), Kanji is strong as fuck, and Yosuke is good at utility.

I just rotated my highest lvl party members with my lowest to keep everyone fairly caught up.

It's just Teddie convenient in that fight because he starts with Mediarama (Yukiko doesn't get it until level 42), Kanji is strong as fuck, and Yosuke is good at utility.

Not to mention Teddie gets energy shower not too far in.

Mediking

It hit me that I use Minato as my avatar on alotta stuff. I cant express how much I love P3. Minato symbolizes all about Persona 3 and Persona in general that I love.

@AtlusPrime You know... Persona 3 and 4 avatars on PSN would be awesome. I'd buy them.

Persona 2 is staring at me on my Vita but I cant start it until I finish P1.

cheez124

I was generally Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko oddly enough. I guess I just got used to all 3 of the original members.
same here. i experimented with the other characters, of course, but i always came back to those 3. they're a pretty balanced team, too-chie for physicals, yukiko for magic damage+healing, and yosuke is the jack of all trades

ha, might just start calling them that myself

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
As a guy who liked P3 and P4, is there a good chance I'll like P5 too? Is it on the same level emotionally?

Likely but no promises. It's to the truest sense everything you would expect from a Persona game but this time centered around the theme of being shackled by society/life in different ways and seeking freedom from those shackles(P3 was mortality, P4 was truth).
I don't think P5 will surprise any Persona fans it really isn't all that different at its core.
That said all aspects of execution are obviously noticably higher than a game that came out 8 years ago on the PS2 and that has impact in a way.

Other than that it's really going to depend on if the theme mentioned resonates.
If not obvious I fucking loved it after 8 years and the themes resonated especially this time with me.

daevious

The thing I take away the most from the recent Lord or Vermillion update adding P5 characters is that apparently Aigis had this weird alternate mode that was designed explicitly for that game and yet no one ever seems to mention it at all?

latest

It's like someone looked at Aigis' Ultimax design and said "Not blatant enough, we need to really push the robot titties angle harder; find a way to make it look like she's wearing a bra."
The more I look at this thing, the angrier I get.

The thing I take away the most from the recent Lord or Vermillion update adding P5 characters is that apparently Aigis had this weird alternate mode that was designed explicitly for that game and yet no one ever seems to mention it at all?

latest

It's like someone looked at Aigis' Ultimax design and said "Not blatant enough, we need to really push the robot titties angle harder; find a way to make it look like she's wearing a bra."

Ah yes, Maximum Over-Orgia Mode. :p

I actually thought that was a cropped CG from Arena until now :p Didn't realise it was actually originally made for LoV.

It's still Soejima though.

PK Gaming

latest

It's not even that bad, imo. If you want to talk about blatant, there's the Arena instant kill art.

Where her boobs are inexplicably perky. And in ultimax where she's rocking at least a C-cup for some reason

Soejima's rendition of Extreme Orgia Mode isn't bad imo. It really gives off the sense of "powering up" that the original orgia mode in P3 completely failed to convey.

Dantis

latest

This picture is A) pretty old and B) realy ficking well drawn. I'm surprised you take issue with it.

Top Bottom