• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Ryuji's not who I'm worried about.

That said: D.C. is pulling off the arrogant jock bro performance quite nicely.

edit:
Also, I've just realized that there seems to be only one "you hit the enemy's weakness" line per character. JP version had this too. Makes it a little bit irritating when going after large groups with single-target spells.
ITS ALMOST SCARY HOW GOOD I AM

Mediking

And there are videos introducing Confidants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c35NXVUCnSw

?! This game is gorgeous as heck. Jaw is dropping. Oh, how far we have come!!!!

g5MQ0D.gif

Actually seeing the MC's face while making decisions.... that image of Joker is super cool too. He looks mysterious and thoughtful at the same time.

PK Gaming

edit:
Also, I've just realized that there seems to be only one "you hit the enemy's weakness" line per character. JP version had this too. Makes it a little bit irritating when going after large groups with single-target spells.

The downside of having an omega awesome super prestige triple A voice cast.

It's pretty obvious they struggled to afford them!

cheez124

edit:

hearing that three times in a row during the livestream was hilarious. almost on fighting game levels of reused lines

Makio

WOW like DAY & NIGHT ... what a change.... not really, i mean true Morgana sounds kinda better and Ryuji sounds not that off , still is missing something
Actually the worse the lines sound in the trailers and the better sound the rest of the dub more are gonna stick out those lines.
I mean is not like Atlus use exclusive lines for trailers and record it again for the game.

But anyway like Dantis says the performances so far are good , only good and thats the problem people expect anything special like everything in this game
(And something to bitch about too... people love to bitch about everything lol).

PD: Kinda sad the battle lines Japanese Ann says in Engrish dont sound any diferent in the dub , they could give her some kind of accent or something to make it notice she "diferent" than your regular japanese girl , but we see how they handle it later on in the game.

Setsu00

WOW like DAY & NIGHT ... what a change.... not really, i mean true Morgana sounds kinda better and Ryuji sounds not that off , still is missing something

But actually the worse the lines sound in the trailers and the better sound the rest of the dub more are gonna stick out those lines.
I mean is not like Atlus use exclusive lines for trailers and record it again for the game.

But anyway like Dantis says the performances so far are good , only good and thats the problem people expect anything special like everything in this game
(And something to bitch about too... people love to bitch about everything lol).

PD: Kinda sad the battle lines Japanese Ann says in Engrish dont sound any diferent in the dub , they could give her some kind of accent or something to make it notice she "diferent" than your regular japanese girl , but we see how they handle it later on in the game.

Why would she have an accent when she was (probably) born and raised in Japan? Accents don't magically appear just because you have a different ethnic background.

Why would she have an accent when she was (probably) born and raised in Japan? Accents don't magically appear just because you have a different ethnic background.

I think what Makio is trying to say here is that there should be a way to make it stand out from the rest of her lines, sort of like how Mitsuru's random English lines got swapped to French (though that obviously doesn't work here)

Giving her an accent on those lines wouldn't work though for the above reason.

Dantis

I think the problem with the localisation (or what we've seen of it) is that, at best, it's on par with P4 (and that seems like a stretch, honestly. A lot of P4 was superbly cast), and below something internal to Atlus like Catherine.

Everyone keeps saying that JP P5 is amongst the best Japanese VO they've ever heard in a game, and P5's English loc is miles below the best English stuff. Miles.

Which is fine. But I always want more.

Makio

I think what Makio is trying to say here is that there should be a way to make it stand out from the rest of her lines, sort of like how Mitsuru's random English lines got swapped to French.

Yeah something like that exactly. Anyway her only use engrish in like a few lines and one specific line in one scene ... so no a big problem.

-----------

And i agree Catherine is maybe the best dub from Atlus not only the performances are stellar every voice fits all the characters perfectly even more than japanese VA in some cases.

Plus i read and listen great things from both SMT IV and Apocalypse dubs ... so makes you wonder how with that P5 cast (which names alone is great) and knowing that director still fell out of place and thinking is "just good"

DNAbro

Yeah Catherine is possibly Atlus's USA's best work.

I really liked Apocalypse's dub and script a lot. I think they did a fantastic job with it. Still pretty confident in what I've heard of P5.

Yeah Catherine is possibly Atlus's USA's best work.

I really liked Apocalypse's dub and script a lot. I think they did a fantastic job with it. Still pretty confident in what I've heard of P5.

I mean, the only real complaint I can field against Apocalypse's dub doesn't hold water because a non-union, English version of Mugihito just doesn't exist.

Sophia

Gold Prize and User's Choice huh? Nice. :eek:

Doesn't that confirm over 500,000 sold for Persona 5?

EDIT: Persona Central implies shipped, rather than sold. Hm.

Dantis

That picture is tremendous.

Has anyone else noticed that Soejima's art quality has jacked up massively since release? Seems like he has a lot more time for drawing dumb shit now the game is out. It's quite pleasing.

Bring on Soejima Artworks Vol. 2 please.

Setsu00

That picture is tremendous.

Has anyone else noticed that Soejima's art quality has jacked up massively since release? Seems like he has a lot more time for drawing dumb shit now the game is out. It's quite pleasing.

Bring on Soejima Artworks Vol. 2 please.

Absolutely. I noticed it when the cover for the Futaba headphones was released.

Dantis

Absolutely. I noticed it when the cover for the Futaba headphones was released.

Yep. And the Weiss Schwartz illustration. And the various magazine covers. And the art book cover.

He's putting out some really high quality illustrations. I just hope he starts drawing someone except Joker.

EDIT: I'm just listening to the Arena OST, and it amazes me how much Kitajoh screwed up the character themes. None of them match the characters at all, and they're all way too stylistically similar. What a missed fucking opportunity.

EDIT 2: I guess you could at least guess that Yukiko's belongs to her because of the traditional Japanese stuff in it, but still. I feel like the themes would be a lot better if the tone matched the character. Shouldn't Yukiko's theme sound cold, surely? And how Naoto's isn't a jazzy detective thing is completely beyond me.

And don't get me started on this Ultimax shit. Good grief.

Dantis

On the one hand, her voice is pretty good.

On the other hand, WHAT IS GOING WITH THIS STILTED WRITING JESUS

"You should know... I am no longer your subservient puppet!"
"This is my answer to that!"

It's nearly every line in these trailers. It's really fucking weird. And worryingly consistent.

Welp, Haru's trailer just dropped and the performance is just as spot-on as I hoped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAWWQweNz2Y

"I am no longer your subservient puppet!" does demonstrate some clunky-sounding writing, though.

edit: curses! ninja'd!

edit2: If these weren't representative, we'd probably have heard some disclaimers about certain VAs not voicing certain characters.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
At least her voice actually fits her character this time round. Her delivery sounds pretty bad though, and the translation is still so damn stilted. I sure hope these character trailers were all made before the delay and that they don't represent the "re-reexamining" they claim to be doing.

PK Gaming

EDIT: I'm just listening to the Arena OST, and it amazes me how much Kitajoh screwed up the character themes. None of them match the characters at all, and they're all way too stylistically similar. What a missed fucking opportunity.

EDIT 2: I guess you could at least guess that Yukiko's belongs to her because of the traditional Japanese stuff in it, but still. I feel like the themes would be a lot better if the tone matched the character. Shouldn't Yukiko's theme sound cold, surely? And how Naoto's isn't a jazzy detective thing is completely beyond me.

And don't get me started on this Ultimax shit. Good grief.

Oh. Not. This. Shit. Again. Dantis. PLEASE.

Shouldn't Yukiko's theme sound cold, surely?

Do you need a refresher on her character in Persona 4?

https://youtu.be/Lz6Gf33xsMM?t=28

She... she's the fire gal. She does the thing with the card and her Persona makes people burn. Like... this at the forefront of her character, lol.

Dantis

Oh. Not. This. Shit. Again. Dantis. PLEASE.

Do you need a refresher on her character in Persona 4?

https://youtu.be/Lz6Gf33xsMM?t=28

She... she's the fire gal. She does the thing with the card and her Persona makes people burn. Like... this at the forefront of her character, lol.

Uh, her Persona is fire, PK.

That means nothing.

But let's pretend that you're right (WINK WINK), then the song should sound, hot and aggressive (which would be completely wrong because you're reducing a character to their spell element, lol)?

That means nothing.

But let's pretend that you're right (WINK WINK), then the song should sound, hot and aggressive (which would be completely wrong because you're reducing a character to their spell element, lol)?

Check the sky for flying pigs, but I agree with PK (at least partially)

The whole idea of her being 'cold' is the false first impression you get of her. I don't think it'd be a good idea for a game set a year after she joins to reinforce that idea.

PK Gaming

That means nothing.

Oh spare me the condescension, Dantis. It means everything. The whole point of her character is that she subverts the Yamato Nadeshiko archetype and is actually quite spirited in personality. Reducing a character to their spell element? Bro, do you even know why she gets Fire skills in the first place? It's a core element (lol) of her character. She even outright mentions hating her name (it means Snow child). Her Persona clearly represents her true self, and unlike the other characters her element choice is extremely relevant to her character.

So no, a "cold" theme would never work because it would clash hard with her character. Not to mention it would clash with her moveset aesthetic, which is literally all about fire (do you even fighting game?). Her current theme is fine (good even), and your suggestion that it should be more aggressive is completely ridiculous. Like why??

Oh spare me the condescension, Dantis. It means everything. The whole point of her character is that she subverts the Yamato Nadeshiko archetype and is actually quite spirited in personality. Reducing a character to their spell element? Bro, do you even know why she gets Fire skills in the first place? It's a core element (lol) of her character. She even outright mentions hating her name (it means Snow child). Her Persona clearly represents her true self, and unlike the other characters her element choice is extremely relevant to her character.

So no, a "cold" theme would never work because it would clash hard with her character. Not to mention it would clash with her moveset aesthetic, which is literally all about fire (do you even fighting game?). Her current theme is fine (good even), and your suggestion that it should be more aggressive is completely ridiculous. Like why??

This is all very correct.

And insinuating that P4U2 has a worse score than P4U is deplorable. P4U2 has A Fool or Clown which is easily better than any character theme in the original.

PK Gaming

This is all very correct.

And insinuating that P4U2 has a worse score than P4U is deplorable. P4U2 has A Fool or Clown which is easily better than any character theme in the original.

latest

[Redacted]'s theme and Margaret's theme are straight up amazing. I really like Yukari and Junpei's theme as well.

barybll

Banned
Why not translate
"I am no longer your subservient puppet" to "I wont obey you anymore"?

This is definitely not how teenagers speak
And im sure japanese is more flexible than this

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Why not translate

Actually, and this is the kicker - the original line is 私はもう、あなたには従わない. Which is literally "I won't obey you anymore".
The literal translation in this case was the better one, I have absolutely no clue why it was changed like that, it's terrible.

Sophia

On the one hand, her voice is pretty good.

On the other hand, WHAT IS GOING WITH THIS STILTED WRITING JESUS

"This is my answer to that!"

It's nearly every line in these trailers. It's really fucking weird. And worryingly consistent.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one, actually. The dialogue is very stilted in that trailer.

Why not translate

"I'm not your subservient puppet anymore" would work too.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember the original line and english isn't even my first language.
But it seems to me that just dropping the "subservient" kind of has the same effect?
I feel like it is already implied when telling someone you're not going to be their puppet anymore. But I might very well be wrong about that.
The idea here is this "less is more thing" that people always tell me in writing class :-x

Sophia

And its kind of a redundant phrase
A puppet implies subserviation ;p

Indeed, It's rather pedantic. I get that they were trying to make Haru sound more formal or elegant there, as the original line is written in a way that cannot be directly translated into English. But I fear they may have missed a beat in making her say something that an actual person would say.

Regardless, me and Dantis agreeing on it is not a good sign.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

1) I trust our localizers and what their doing, especially with this one-liner being taken out of context of the rest of her dialogue. (even though I have no specific knowledge of that line)

That said

2) My hs was FULL of self-important teenagers that talked like this.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Ya'll need to chill!

She speaks formally in Japanese, definitely, but she doesn't talk like this.
I feel like wording the line somewhat unconventionally, like, "I refuse to obey you any longer!" or just "I will not obey you any longer" sounds more in line with her way of speaking, and sounds far less awkward and stilted than the rewrite.

On a completely different note, I can't help but feel Atlus USA are going a little over the top with the amount of promo material they're releasing for it. We're getting character trailers 5 months before the game releases, while in Japan they were only being released in the last month before release.
Obviously some of this stuff was slated before they knew they were delaying the game, but they've been releasing trailers left and right since then. I get that they want to maintain hype, but if they're trying to do that, they'll probably have to keep up the pace they've started here, and that'd mean by April they'd have probably shown the entire game off in trailers.
There's a fair bit of stuff Atlus JP clearly wanted to keep underwraps and didn't show in trailers, and it kinda worries me that those surprises will be ruined for western players if Atlus USA show them off. A few of the things shown in one of the recent trailers was certainly not what I would've expected to be shown.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
But she get gangsta talk at some point of the game ....
" Why you talkin' trash foo'?" " Lets book da honky shadows a comin'"

Somehow this made me want a persona game with the protagonist joining a yakuza clan + reasons in P5. @_@ Screw you college people, let's get real. All for the glory of oyabun.

Makio

And please let there be a Goro trailer. Please.

I would laugh my ass off if they reveal Thief Goro and see some niggas bitching about how Atlus USA is spoiling everything.
--------

But i agree with fixyouregrammar Atlus USA is giving too much rn for a game is coming in 4 months (days less) we already complete characters trailers (almost) , got 2 trailers equivalent to the PV03 and PV04 ,2 hours of gameplay and even confidants trailers already.

I can understand that pace if the game is still coming in February and they need to keep it up , but right now i dont know what more they can show without going silence a couple of months after they drop Goro (possible) trailer and VA Interview.

Lynx_7

I don't remember the original line and english isn't even my first language.
But it seems to me that just dropping the "subservient" kind of has the same effect?
I feel like it is already implied when telling someone you're not going to be their puppet anymore. But I might very well be wrong about that.
The idea here is this "less is more thing" that people always tell me in writing class :-x

Yeah, "I'm no longer your puppet" or "I'm not your puppet anymore" retains the same message and also sounds a lot better.
I've never had any reason to complain about Atlus USA localizations though so I'm sure the full game will be fine. People are being a little harsh on them because of the high expectations.

They can still keep up sort of weekly confidant trailers, as long as they don't do what Atlus Japan did and drop them all at once. And mementos/other mechanics trailers.

PK Gaming

She speaks formally in Japanese, definitely, but she doesn't talk like this.
I feel like wording the line somewhat unconventionally, like, "I refuse to obey you any longer!" or just "I will not obey you any longer" sounds more in line with her way of speaking, and sounds far less awkward and stilted than the rewrite.

It's not stilted when you take the full line into account:

This line has more passion and intensity than your suggestions, and it's more thematically relevant considering she's apparently lived her life unquestionably following orders.

"Subservient" and "puppet" are good word choices too.

Top Bottom