• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Dantis

It took me around the same amount of time to beat both P3 and P5.
And keep in mind I was playing P5 in a language I don't understand.

At the same time, P3 was my first Persona game, so took a while longer because of that, I'd imagine.

It took me around the same amount of time to beat both P3 and P5.
And keep in mind I was playing P5 in a language I don't understand.

At the same time, P3 was my first Persona game, so took a while longer because of that, I'd imagine.

Given that you didn't understand the language, I'm guessing side-activities don't factor into this?

Lusankya

A huge factor to the length of these games is reading speed and whether or not you skip to the next text bubble before the VAs finished speaking their text.
So not being able to read and understand the text naturally ensures you're skipping through the text at a faster pace.

GSR

P5 felt much longer than P3, even accounting for Japanese not being my first language. I'd argue it's maybe a hair too long, even (one of the dungeons is dangerously close to filler.)

daevious

P5 felt much longer than P3, even accounting for Japanese not being my first language. I'd argue it's maybe a hair too long, even (one of the dungeons is dangerously close to filler.)

[ACTUAL PERSONA 5 SPOILERS]
It's the bank dungeon, isn't it?

Setsu00

So it looks like they toyed around with a female protagonist for P5 during development.

Either that or Soejima just wanted to draw a really, really pretty boy:

Persona-5-Art-Works-Preview-2.png

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Complete run(100% excluding NG+ only stuff) times for Persona games for me:
P3FES/P4G/P3P ~ 80 hours,
P5 ~ 120 hours.
Don't remember what P4 original was for me.

Mediking

So it looks like they toyed around with a female protagonist for P5 during development.

Either that or Soejima just wanted to draw a really, really pretty boy:

The top left is the tease for Persona 5 Crimson Blood Edition where we get a playable female.

atlusprime

Atlus PR

P. sure i didn't reveal any unannounced localizations this time. Sorry ;___;

Is there any chance :-x that you guys can make AtlusJP patch out the stream restrictions at some point like in a year/few months after the US release?(Would also help just showing the game off to friends) *don't take it too seriously, just had to try*

So, this has come up a lot recently, especially in light that we lifted the streaming/sharing restrictions from Y0, but it's still in early stages of me raising up this point and seeing if we can address it prior to release.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
P. sure i didn't reveal any unannounced localizations this time. Sorry ;___;

Hey just wanted to say good job on making dual audio happen(I was a doubter, I apologize :-x). I'm going to double dip because of that(to have a copy to entice reluctant friends with).

Is there any chance :-x that you guys can make AtlusJP patch out the stream restrictions at some point like in a year/few months after the US release?(Would also help just showing the game off to friends) *don't take it too seriously, just had to try*

*now going to listen tot the podcast*

So, this has come up a lot recently, especially in light that we lifted the streaming/sharing restrictions from Y0, but it's still in early stages of me raising up this point and seeing if we can address it prior to release.

Badass, thanks even if it doesn't work out thanks for raising it up!

Sophia

Oh thank god.

I'm still baffled as to why SEGA had the Japanese Yakuza 0 demo have no streaming. I don't get why they'd block that. It's literally free advertising. : \

Lynx_7

Japanese companies in general are kinda weird about youtube and streaming sites like twitch. I remember Dragon Quest Heroes had an OST restriction (you could stream the game but without sound) or something similar to that, and then there's Nintendo and their well known youtube shenanigans.

So, with 2016 coming to an end, what's your GOTY list pgaf?
Unfortunately there's a lot of titles I still want to finish but probably won't have enough time
(or money)
to play substantially enough before the GOTY voting thread (The Last Guardian, Dragon Quest VII, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Paper Mario Color Splash, Bravely Second, Dishonored 2, Deus EX, DOOM, Dragon Quest Builders, the list goes on).

I'll try to prioritize Pokemon Sun and Dark Souls 3 before the end of the year, but in the meantime my top 3 probably looks like this: Fire Emblem Fates > Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse > Final Fantasy XV.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 5 and the Witness share first place as my most memorable gaming experiences in 2016 which was/is a pretty badass year in my book. Probably the only other game I'll manage to finish this year is Last Guardian.

Dantis

A huge factor to the length of these games is reading speed and whether or not you skip to the next text bubble before the VAs finished speaking their text.
So not being able to read and understand the text naturally ensures you're skipping through the text at a faster pace.

I listened to all spoken dialogue. It only seemed right.

Given that you didn't understand the language, I'm guessing side-activities don't factor into this?

Well I smashed Mementos, if that means anything? Did a lot of side stuff and got to a decent level.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm alright with a stupidly long game and endgame especially. It'll be years before we get another one. I mean, I loved Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, and those were basically SMT gameplay grinds with the very occasional breather.

Levito

Banned
John's a super good dude, as you all know well. That's said the SNES WAS way better than the Genesis. I'm sorry but it's a fact.

Sorry that episode took a while to go up, I have been busy moving and stuff.

Dantis

I'm alright with a stupidly long game and endgame especially. It'll be years before we get another one. I mean, I loved Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga, and those were basically SMT gameplay grinds with the very occasional breather.
They were also both pretty short.

DDS took me 17 hours. That's nothing by JRPG standards.

DNAbro

That implies we aren't getting Persona 5 Crimson the next year.

Lynx_7

I hope they don't to be honest, but if they do then at least sell it as DLC for the people that bought P5 vanilla. With current hardware there's really no excuse for them to lock expanded content for a second release of the game.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
And the same applies to Persona 3.

I imagine P5 will take me around 80 hours to play through in English, also.

?
Did you play P3 also in JP with only listening to voiced text while skipping everything else and still had those 80 hours?

If not then you missed the point. Which was that P5 has an obscene amount of written text lots of it not voiced which takes time to read. I might have misheard listening to slink half asleep but I think Hardin gave percentages on how much bigger the script is compared to p4. Basically the statement of "I've listened to all voiced text" doesn't amount to much for persona games.

Reading takes time, it should be no surprise that you're like a good 20 hours below the average of the import thread when you don't do that. But I don't doubt that knowing the game already will cut a good few hours out of your playthrough.

Hope that makes sense.

Dantis

I'm just going to go ahead and say there is not a chance that if I'd read every single line of P5 it would have added anywhere near 20 hours to my playitme.

How long did it take you to finish? By the same logic, a lot of the people in the OT aren't native Japanese speakers, so it will have taken them a lot longer to read something not in their native language.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just going to go ahead and say there is not a chance that if I'd read every single line of P5 it would have added anywhere near 20 hours to my playitme.

How long did it take you to finish? By the same logic, a lot of the people in the OT aren't native Japanese speakers, so it will have taken them a lot longer to read something not in their native language.

Complete run(100% excluding NG+ only stuff) times for Persona games for me:
P3FES/P4G/P3P ~ 80 hours,
P5 ~ 120 hours.
Don't remember what P4 original was for me.
Dantis sometimes I just get the feeling you're just arguing just to argue. I'm just pointing out facts(which is basically that there is a lot of text that is not voiced apparently more text in general than in prior games) really not making statement on anything like that reading will add exactly 20hours.
Also no doubt that I took longer because I'm not a native speaker, to read.

P5 playtimes I've seen have widely fluctuated between 80 and 200 hours.

80 and 200 are clearly the outliers judging by the import thread fairly certain the average is around 100-110, but anyone feel free to prove me mathematically wrong

Dantis

P5 playtimes I've seen have widely fluctuated between 80 and 200 hours.

Like I say, I think the average length will be very similar to what it took people to finish P3.
I feel like it has less actual content that what was in Golden (because of all the added stuff), but Golden's difficulty was lowered so much that the game became a lot shorter because of it.

MSMrRound

My runtime for the first clear (taking it leisurely/playing till I fell asleep due to fatigue from working) so pretty sure most can finish faster than me)

Well, if you ask me about the playtime, it's true that (P5 impression)
the close to end game part MIIIIIGHT have dragged on a liiiiiitle bit. It was seriously a slog and I had to devote like 3-4 days aside, chipping away at the game with the usual 2~3 hours I put aside for gaming

Game's still damn stylish though, character models in cutscenes are melt-in-your-face glorious so no regrets whatsoever in putting in those hours.

My first playthrough took 88 hours. My final one, practically speed running, took 36.

This is just a guess, but a full run next April with max Confidant and Mementos missions, minus completing as much of the Compendium as possible, will probably take me around 80 hours.

Mediking

My first playthrough took 88 hours. My final one, practically speed running, took 36.

This is just a guess, but a full run next April with max Confidant and Mementos missions, minus completing as much of the Compendium as possible, will probably take me around 80 hours.

Confidant????? Mementos????

Still in the dark about P5 stuff and I'm a huge Persona guy. I wished Atlus had introduced stuff like that to the mainstream audiences at E3 and PSX as a way to ease mainstream people into buying. Like a trailer of "this is what a Confidant thingie is!" At E3 on Sony's floor. And we could've got a Memento trailer thingie at PSX.

Confidant sounda like some kinda of cool confidential stealing mission. That sounds hype. Like extra optional yet well written dungeon stories where you can steal stuff for your crew.

Memento sounds like remembering sad memories or cherishing the past. Upgraded Social Link mechanic, maybe?

Lynx_7

I was looking through the games I've bought over the years and a few releases from 2016 and early 2017 that I plan to prioritize and suddenly I'm feeling grateful for P5's delay after all. #praisehardin

vgamer1

So, I have an itch to play persona. I've played through ~25 hours of P3P and I own P4G. Previously I've pretty much just watched the P4 endurance run and watched a bit of the P4 anime.

I was wondering if you recommend I pick back up P3P and continue it on the PSTV? I completely forget where I am in the story as it's been a while since I've played, or if I should play P4G, which I haven't tried yet at all.

Any suggestions?

bluethree

Personally, 25 hours is long enough that I'd consider trying to get back into it at least. My playthrough of P4 golden seriously had a year and a half gap between it (I had already played through the whole game on the PS2 so it didn't seem like a big deal).

Also going from p3p>p4 will be much easier than the opposite, you might find it harder to adjust back with all of the P4G additions.

Top Bottom