• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Lunar15

Watching off-screen footage makes me realize that they did perfectly fine with the UI. Font looks fine and they were able to retain most, if not all of the charm.

Lynx_7

Watching off-screen footage makes me realize that they did perfectly fine with the UI. Font looks fine and they were able to retain most, if not all of the charm.

I think it looks fine too. I thought it looked out of place on the first trailer, but it looks pretty natural on the newer footage. I probably just got used to it.

Nachos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c35NXVUCnSw&feature=youtu.be

Ahh jamieson Price...if only I could hear him as Iron Tager again...

Not sure who is Tae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiqD_vFSI9I

I'm still going through these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcMd_n3Ig0
Kaiji Tang I think
I'm not feeling Tae's casting or acting. I'm pretty sure she's Kirsten Potter, who was Mary Fulton in Trauma Center and Naomi in Trauma Team (the voice is closer to Mary's, though). It's like they went "Hey you have tenure voicing characters in the narrow field of anime-style nurses, we'll give the role to you," even though her voice is better for mature/much older characters.

Price is a good voice match for Sojiro, but he doesn't seem crotchety enough, while Iwai sounds younger and a lot breathier.

Also curious to see them using Japanese in the intro videos, despite removing the kanji from the calendar indicator, even though it didn't really get in the way of anything.

Mediking

You mean... this...?

O7LrJL.gif

Kinda looks too small.

Also curious to see them using Japanese in the intro videos, despite removing the kanji from the calendar indicator, even though it didn't really get in the way of anything.

Probably just ripped that part from Atlus Japan's trailers, since it's not an ingame asset.

I like that they made a new P5 logo animation for their trailers though.

Makio

I'm not feeling Tae's casting or acting. I'm pretty sure she's Kirsten Potter, who was Mary Fulton in Trauma Center and Naomi in Trauma Team (the voice is closer to Mary's, though)

The voice clip they had in BTVA sounds just like Tae , so yeah pretty much is her.

And i agree her voice is perfect for a doctor / serious medical role , but damn is just unfitting versus Tae design , i was expecting her to sound a slight older than the "teenagers" but they give her a MILF voice , like a literal 30- 40 old lady voice in a design who looks not older than 30.

Kaiji Tang sounds great as Iwai and can dig Price as Sojiro , despite i cant unhear he trying to tell some random trivia about the alcohol i drink in Catherine haha.

Funny how i prefer or sound better the secondary characters dub versus the main cast dub which still sound off in some parts to me.

And i agree her voice is perfect for a doctor / serious medical role , but damn is just unfitting versus Tae design , i was expecting her to sound a slight older than the "teenagers" but they give her a MILF voice , like a literal 30- 40 old lady voice in a design who looks not older than 30.

Said it before, I'll say it here. I was expecting something a bit more... Tharja.
There I go again with the FEA comparisons.

Makio

Considering Tae's a doctor, shouldn't she likely be at least 26?

True but that serious / older tone i was expecting it in a character like Sae ... no Tae (wait ...) hell even the teacher one too.

I mean i gonna get it used and works great for a character like her ( adult, doctor and shit) but i just no hear that voice over that design.

Said it before, I'll say it here. I was expecting something a bit more... Tharja.
There I go again with the FEA comparisons.

Here expecting to Stephanie Sheh make her "debut" in 5 too , actually i kinda surprised even for the coop characters they choose actors kinda new or not that regular in the series.
I literally was expecting main characters of 3 & 4 (spinoffs) to get recasted as coop to be honest.

Here expecting to Stephanie Sheh make her "debut" in 5 too , actually i kinda surprised even for the coop characters they choose actors kinda new or not that regular in the series.
I literally was expecting main characters of 3 & 4 (spinoffs) to get recasted as coop to be honest.

Why do I get the feeling she'll show up, but for a role everyone scratches their head at?

Banned
Has anyone the found Ryuji theme on the Australian Playstation Store? I can't find it.

edit: Never mind I found it.

Dantis

What the heck is with this weird ass dialogue? It's really stilted and unnatural. All of those cooperation videos have it. There's no flow, and it's not at all how a person speaks. Really bizarre and kind of bad.

barybll

Banned
What the heck is with this weird ass dialogue? It's really stilted and unnatural. All of those cooperation videos have it. There's no flow, and it's not at all how a person speaks. Really bizarre and kind of bad.

The joys of translating japanese.

And before you mention P4, because I know you will mention P4 since you are Dantis ;p

Plenty of dialogue from P4 feels like that
Like "Partner"

And before you mention P4, because I know you will mention P4 since you are Dantis ;p

Like "Partner"

But "Partner" is just a word choice, isolated to one character. That makes it really easy to chalk that up as just a quirk of someone like Yosuke.

I can definitely see what Dantis is talking about though. It's not just the Confidant characters, it seems to be a common factor in most dialogue so far. I think it's indicative of them trying to stay truer to the Japanese script than they usually do, as previous localizations (like P4 and P3) are actually pretty liberal. A lot of the weirdness comes from either trying to fit too much into one line, using odd sentence structure, or the most notable to me, using transliterations of Japanese ideas rather than the English equivalent. For example, Morgana telling the player to live "a normal, honest school life" rather than be "a normal, honest student."

It really interests me because this seems to be at odds with Atlus' usual MO for localizations which seemed to be script quality first, and then technical accuracy second. Since this more literal translation seems to be the standard for P5 so far, I'm wondering if maybe it was a stated goal for the project? Tons of speculation there, obviously, but I'm very curious about the final product. Though I will admit that the more curious the situation gets, the less excited *I* get.

Nachos

Probably just ripped that part from Atlus Japan's trailers, since it's not an ingame asset.

I like that they made a new P5 logo animation for their trailers though.
I thought so, too, at first, but the names are set in different type. The Japanese version uses a classier condensed typeface that's good for display text, while the English one is just a standard sans-serif. Guess they thought it'd look weird if there was only the name there.

But yeah, the new logo animation is super slick. I guess my only problem so far is that it's a little too loud and kinda twee to fit the confidant segments, which are supposed to be more down to earth compared to everything else, outlandish and energetic as it is.

Considering Tae's a doctor, shouldn't she likely be at least 26?
I mean, she's a doctor who uses the fact that she has her own practice to dress goth every single day. My issue's not with the voice pitch, but with how she's carrying herself in the clip. She's really stern-sounding. I always imagined she'd sound more youthful and a little more overtly rebellious, but she sounds like she should her mom telling her to put her clothes away.

Like "Partner"
I'm still confused by what they're doing. I've been seeing comparisons between the English lines and their Japanese versions, and they're basically as literal and "accurate" as you can get. But then they change Ryuji's awakening from "So this is my Persona" to "Right on...Wassup, Persona!"

I actually quite like the localization. I don't know Japanese, but I do like the way the characters talk since I also tend to converse in an overly detailed way, which makes it feel natural to me. :p

Nitpicking: The font is still an issue and I hope gets tweaked with the additional two month delay as in Iwai's video, it looks like his name is "Wai" because the I bleeds into the black box they decided to put around the W in his name. I hope they space out the letters more.

Nitpicking: The font is still an issue and I hope gets tweaked with the additional two month delay as in Iwai's video, it looks like his name is "Wai" because the I bleeds into the black box they decided to put around the W in his name. I hope they space out the letters more.

Yeah, I feel that out of the text bubble the font tends to make some letters (especially "I") really hard to read. That's about the only issue I have with it so far, though.

Sophia

Sojiro's dialogue seems well written enough, but I do have to agree with Nachos's sentiment that he isn't nearly as crotchety as should be. Likewise, Tae doesn't sound that bad.

Everything about Iwai's dialogue just sounds off, tho. Not sure if it's the direction or the writing, but it just plain sounds wrong to my ears.

PK Gaming

Sojiro's dialogue seems well written enough, but I do have to agree with Nachos's sentiment that he isn't nearly as crotchety as should be. Likewise, Tae doesn't sound that bad.

Everything about Iwai's dialogue just sounds off, tho. Not sure if it's the direction or the writing, but it just plain sounds wrong to my ears.

Iwai sounds like a cool, young hip protagonist ready to stage a coup rather than a cynical middle aged man trying to keep his illegal operations under wraps, lol.

Iwai sounds like a cool, young hip protagonist ready to stage a coup rather than a cynical middle aged man trying to keep his illegal operations under wraps, lol.

And the guy can certainly do gruff. Just look at Tsumugu Kinagase in Kill la Kill, even if the character basically became a joke.

Dantis

But "Partner" is just a word choice, isolated to one character. That makes it really easy to chalk that up as just a quirk of someone like Yosuke.

I can definitely see what Dantis is talking about though. It's not just the Confidant characters, it seems to be a common factor in most dialogue so far. I think it's indicative of them trying to stay truer to the Japanese script than they usually do, as previous localizations (like P4 and P3) are actually pretty liberal. A lot of the weirdness comes from either trying to fit too much into one line, using odd sentence structure, or the most notable to me, using transliterations of Japanese ideas rather than the English equivalent. For example, Morgana telling the player to live "a normal, honest school life" rather than be "a normal, honest student."

It really interests me because this seems to be at odds with Atlus' usual MO for localizations which seemed to be script quality first, and then technical accuracy second. Since this more literal translation seems to be the standard for P5 so far, I'm wondering if maybe it was a stated goal for the project? Tons of speculation there, obviously, but I'm very curious about the final product. Though I will admit that the more curious the situation gets, the less excited *I* get.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. The sentence structure is really weird and bad, and the sentences themselves are often too long.

The school life example is spot on, too.

Sojiro's dialogue is just as bad as everyone else's too. Not sure what you mean, Sophia.

Hey PersonaGAF.

I'm fairly new to the Persona craze.

Long story short: Bought Persona 4 Golden 2 years ago when it was on sale for a cool $14. Played 15 hours, was hooked during that time, but ended up putting it down for whatever reason and left it at the Kanji situation. Here I am, two years later, and I've resumed my first play-through and nearly 40 hours in. I've been enjoying it enough I decided to preorder P5 when it gets it's English release in April.

No self-respecting newcomer should post in a community OT without some questions for you, so here it goes...

Persona 4 is, overall, quite good. This is largely due to the characters and the compellingly bizarre story. I find, however, that there's a lot of times when I wish it would just "get to the point". A lot of the dialogue is superfluous, but I imagine this is what you get with a game that comes from heavy translation.

The story has been running the same beats, repeatedly, and now I'm desperately waiting for a change of pace. Having just saved Rise and now moving into this retro RPG-styled dungeon, is something going to change? (No detailed spoilers, of course)

As for the dungeons, I don't find them to be a complete slog, and the turn-based RPG combat is fun, for the most part. However, I can't help but feel they're more of an endurance test or battle of attrition than anything else. I often find myself throwing tons of resources at these things to complete them. The procedural generation tells me I'm probably wasting my time trying to fully explore each floor. Am I wrong? I spend more SP and items trying to completely map it out for the chests; the risk is too great for very little reward. How should I go about tackling dungeons so they're not a drain on my resources and my patience? Is it okay to leave and come back the next day or is that risking the fog and a game over?

Am I consuming HP/SP when the opportunity to "pile on" for an all-out attack appears?

About Persona 5, I'm sure there are plenty of you here who have played the Japanese import already. What can I expect from it? How much better is it than P4? Is there a lot more variation in the story and gameplay mechanics? One thing I do love about P4 is the choices I'm given in a particular day, especially when it comes to high school, but I'm somewhat annoyed by how often that choice is stripped from me so that the game can move things along automatically. Does P5 offer more leeway in that regard?

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm happy to drop in and chew the fat with you/pick your brains on this very intriguing series.

No self-respecting newcomer should post in a community OT without some questions for you, so here it goes...

Oooooh, welcome!

Regarding dungeons: You're given more than ample time overall to complete them (at least on Normal), so you shouldn't feel worried about leaving for the day unless you're obsessing over maxing all S. Links. Procedural generation sucks indeed, I endured and cleared out all floors for about half the game but stopped doing that afterwards and didn't have much of a problem. SP running out is deliberate, to keep the player from completing all dungeons immediately.

Regarding the plot: Things won't change greatly for a while, try to get used to Inaba and establish S. Links, pretty much. P4G is *huge* (took me 70 hours and that's on the quite low end of the spectrum) so you'll need to take your time. It does get more varied and interesting later on.

Regarding the dialogue: I guess you can attribute that to the fact that a) it's a localization and b) these people are a bunch of bantering high schoolers.

Don't think AOA cost you anything.

There's a skill (called Invigorate IIRC) that restores your SP every turn in battle. Could try that if you have a Persona that has it.

Welcome to PersonaGAF.

What I can say with confidence is that it's best to clear through the dungeons in one day so you've got time to do s-links and other activities.

And no, all-out attacks don't consume HP or SP.

PK Gaming

Hey PersonaGAF.

I'm fairly new to the Persona craze.

Long story short: Bought Persona 4 Golden 2 years ago when it was on sale for a cool $14. Played 15 hours, was hooked during that time, but ended up putting it down for whatever reason and left it at the Kanji situation. Here I am, two years later, and I've resumed my first play-through and nearly 40 hours in. I've been enjoying it enough I decided to preorder P5 when it gets it's English release in April.

Persona 4 is, overall, quite good. This is largely due to the characters and the compellingly bizarre story. I find, however, that there's a lot of times when I wish it would just "get to the point". A lot of the dialogue is superfluous, but I imagine this is what you get with a game that comes from heavy translation.

The story has been running the same beats, repeatedly, and now I'm desperately waiting for a change of pace. Having just saved Rise and now moving into this retro RPG-styled dungeon, is something going to change? (No detailed spoilers, of course)

As for the dungeons, I don't find them to be a complete slog, and the turn-based RPG combat is fun, for the most part. However, I can't help but feel they're more of an endurance test or battle of attrition than anything else. I often find myself throwing tons of resources at these things to complete them. The procedural generation tells me I'm probably wasting my time trying to fully explore each floor. Am I wrong? I spend more SP and items trying to completely map it out for the chests; the risk is too great for very little reward. How should I go about tackling dungeons so they're not a drain on my resources and my patience? Is it okay to leave and come back the next day or is that risking the fog and a game over?

Am I consuming HP/SP when the opportunity to "pile on" for an all-out attack appears?

About Persona 5, I'm sure there are plenty of you here who have played the Japanese import already. What can I expect from it? How much better is it than P4? Is there a lot more variation in the story and gameplay mechanics? One thing I do love about P4 is the choices I'm given in a particular day, especially when it comes to high school, but I'm somewhat annoyed by how often that choice is stripped from me so that the game can move things along automatically. Does P5 offer more leeway in that regard?

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm happy to drop in and chew the fat with you/pick your brains on this very intriguing series.

Welcome, welcome~

For better or worse, the story format doesn't really change. The tone gets more tense once you recruit all of the party members, and the final month is quite exciting, but aside from that, what you see is what you get.

It sounds like you're trying to clear dungeons in a single day, which definitely isn't the way to go about it. Generally what you want to do is go as far as you can until your SP runs dry. That's a general of indicator of "it's time to stop." The fox can recover your SP by buying it tons of money, but unless you're rushing to get the most out of the dungeon, it's best if you just play naturally. The game is super generous with its deadlines. Exploring every nook and crany is not necessary, but generally what I like to do as well. It's a good habit to have for the later dungeons.

I don't know much about the game's general flow, but I do know that gameplay is significantly improved. In fact, it supposedly has some of the best dungeons in the genre.

So the futaba's trails just cane out...I don't know...I was expecting futaba'a English voice to be a little more high pitched...? Other than that though, I hope Erica Lindbeck does an overall good job!

Nachos

So the futaba's trails just cane out...I don't know...I was expecting futaba'a English voice to be a little more high pitched...? Other than that though, I hope Erica Lindbeck does an overall good job!
I honestly think they should've swapped Makoto and Futaba's actresses.

Her voice tone also changes when she goes "Here come the buffs!" Ann has inconsistent voice tone, too, so I just figured it was a case like Rise's where she changes after warming up to you, but now I dunno.

She has a good chance of being one of the better performances, though.

Funnily enough, the voice clip of her buffing the party and the small sample Erica gives in her interview are imo spot-on with the character.

Probably just a case of bad clips being chosen for the trailers... again?

RPGCrazied

I have a question about 5 for the people that have played it and beat it. How long is the story?

How is the performance on base PS4?

DNAbro

I have a question about 5 for the people that have played it and beat it. How long is the story?

How is the performance on base PS4?

I haven't played it but the performance seems fine. There isn't really anything wrong and it's not like there is a planned PS4 Pro patch.

I dont mind futaba having a slightly deeper voice in English, because I've found cutesy voices and English don't always mesh. JP Futaba isn't that cutesy though so idk.

I dont mind futaba having a slightly deeper voice in English, because I've found cutesy voices and English don't always mesh. JP Futaba isn't that cutesy though so idk.

Not necessarily "cutesy" but more the kind of voice you'd expect a shut-in to have. (ie. not as mature-sounding as what we're hearing)

I honestly agree with Nachos about Futaba and Makoto's voices, going by what I remember.

Makio

Amazing how Futaba the youngest of the ladies of the game sounds more serious and collected than the olders ones (specially Makoto).

This dub got the right VA but the casting choices are so weird and random i swear

Erica Lindbeck do a great job but my god is like they not even try it to match the japanese counterpart.

For a voice is going to tell how many enemies are left every 30 seconds , sounds fine.

Now looking forward to Xanthe Huynh (Haru). Dont screw it up pls.

PK Gaming

We should rename this thread's OT to

"Jumpers: Home to users who like to jump to conclusions"

I don't feel confident writing off any of these VAs, especially Lindbeck who is one of the finest VAs I've seen in years

Plus this game was voice directed by Val, who always knows what she's doing

Top Bottom