• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Lynx_7

I could be wrong, but I don't think it was directed at you. lol

I actually would like to see an older Nanako at some point. Not necessarily as a party member but at least a cameo would be cool.

It wasn't, I just seized the opportunity for a Type-Moon joke. lol

Really think about it though. A Madoka inspired SMT spin-off, demons are witches, dungeons are crazy ass surrealistic paintings, all your romance options end up in NTR and eternal suffering. Written by Urobutcher.
Alright I'll stop

Mediking

So, I watched Makoto's trailer again.

In regards to the whole FISTS OF JUSTICE thing, I think it's possible that I just had a misconception of the character. The trailer portrays her as less of a Naoto-type character (quite quiet(ly dorky) and thoughtful) and more like a Chie (more outgoing and incredibly dorky). Does anyone who played the import (and understood it) have any idea if this is the case?

Haven't imported but I got a feeling that my initial guesses on how some of the party's personality will be.... is gonna be super wrong.

I still have some sort hope that Yusuke is this super thoughtful guy whose also a edgelord.

Hoping Futaba is comedy relief but not overdone.

Hopefully Makoto is a bloodthirsty friend.

Haru is prolly very sweet and kind and very supportive.

Anne prolly has a sharp tongue but still fun to be around.

Ryuji is well..... Lol

Don't really have any guesses on Goro.

Those are just my guesses on characters and I haven't been spoiled on anything. You were asking for a importer's thoughts though so sorry!

I could be wrong, but I don't think it was directed at you. lol

I actually would like to see an older Nanako at some point. Not necessarily as a party member but at least a cameo would be cool.

Lol it prolly was directed to me. I don't wanna be "that one annoying guy".
Hahaha I'm prolly already that.

OrionX

It wasn't, I just seized the opportunity for a Type-Moon joke. lol

Really think about it though. A Madoka inspired SMT spin-off, demons are witches, dungeons are crazy ass surrealistic paintings, all your romance options end up in NTR and eternal suffering. Written by Urobutcher.
Alright I'll stop

I was referring to PK's frustrated gifs. You do paint an interesting picture though, feel free to continue. XD

Lol it prolly was directed to me. I don't wanna be "that one annoying guy".
Hahaha I'm prolly already that.

Well I, for one, enjoy your random posts. You do you, Mediking. :p

Sophia

In regards to the whole FISTS OF JUSTICE thing, I think it's possible that I just had a misconception of the character. The trailer portrays her as less of a Naoto-type character (quite quiet(ly dorky) and thoughtful) and more like a Chie (more outgoing and incredibly dorky). Does anyone who played the import (and understood it) have any idea if this is the case?

Putting this in spoilers, for those who don't want to know the answer:
She's closer to Chie then Naoto. While she doesn't have Chie's energy, she's very quickly on first name basis with the rest of the party, and is rather dorky despite her attempts to hide it and act serious.

Actually, now that I think about it, the closest comparison would probably be Yukari.

If anything, I'd say she's a middle-ground, going by what I remember from a stream.

Putting this in spoilers, for those who don't want to know the answer:
She's closer to Chie then Naoto. While she doesn't have Chie's energy, she's very quickly on first name basis with the rest of the party, and is rather dorky despite her attempts to hide it and act serious.

Actually, now that I think about it, the closest comparison would probably be Yukari.

Joyful noise.

Lynx_7

I was referring to PK's frustrated gifs. You do paint an interesting picture though, feel free to continue. XD

Ok so hear me out. Nanako would have a jewel, right? And if that jewel got dark, she'd go full witch and fuck up the universe or some shit, and you'd get a bad ending. For every day that passes and every bad event that happens, it gets darker. But that sucks, right? So to cleanse your jewel, you need to take on servant hunts (which are side-quests, let's call servants less developed, almost-but-not-quite witches, I forgot if they had specific terminology for that) or advance enough through the main story to take on a witch. Social links would be less about building friendships to empower yourself and those around you, and more about building friendships only for them to be eventually destroyed and corrupted, a husk of their former selves, and you get to fight your fallen friend's witch form. Actually screw that, we could keep the SMT terminology intact. They turn into demons, that's even more hardcore. That's also an alternative way to cleanse your jewel, so start building those social links!

If I said any more I'd be getting into spoiler territory so let's just say Nanako has seen some shit.
There'd also be a cute mascot.人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

OrionX

Ok so hear me out. Nanako would have a jewel, right? And if that jewel got dark, she'd go full witch and fuck up the universe or some shit, and you'd get a bad ending. For every day that passes and every bad event that happens, it gets darker. But that sucks, right? So to cleanse your jewel, you need to take on servant hunts (which are side-quests, let's call servants less developed, almost-but-not-quite witches, I forgot if they had specific terminology for that) or advance enough through the main story to take on a witch. Social links would be less about building friendships to empower yourself and those around you, and more about building friendships only for them to be eventually destroyed and corrupted, a husk of their former selves, and you get to fight your fallen friend's witch form. Actually screw that, we could keep the SMT terminology intact. They turn into demons, that's even more hardcore. That's also an alternative way to cleanse your jewel, so start building those social links!

If I said any more I'd be getting into spoiler territory so let's just say Nanako has seen some shit.
There'd also be a cute mascot.人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

I may have been mistaken to encourage this behavior. lol

Dantis

While my understanding was still quite limited, I never saw anything that made me think of Chie honestly. Between the two I definitely found her to be more similar to Naoto than Chie, that's for sure.

That's what I figured.

I think the line is just poorly delivered. Maybe miscast, too.

Lynx_7

I may have been mistaken to encourage this behavior. lol

Just don't ask me about my grand visions of a Breaking Bad+Seinfeld inspired Persona game, you've been warned.
Actually don't, I've put literally no thought into this.

In other news, I recently bought P4 Arena Ultimax and the P4 Arena story mode DLC. And also Adachi, couldn't afford any other characters. Can't wait to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I've ordered a few things from them. I may be able to answer, what's up?

Okay, so, I preorder a Velvet Crowe figure with was about 10,080 JPY (so $85-ish right?)

Anyway, do they convert the currency or something? Do they charge you when it ships?

I once bought a figure from Anime-Island....Not anymore.

Strimei

Okay, so, I preorder a Velvet Crowe figure with was about 10,080 JPY (so $85-ish right?)

Anyway, do they convert the currency or something? Do they charge you when it ships?

I once bought a figure from Anime-Island....Not anymore.

Current exchange rate has it at $85.24 so yeah you're right there.

I believe they should exchange it, yes. Memory serves I bought through paypal and that automatically converts, but I imagine it'll convert otherwise anyway. And yes you should be charged when it ships, unless things have changed (I last ordered something there about four years ago).

Amiami is reliable overall. I remember being satisfied with the way they shipped the stuff. Only thing I hated was how much import costs inflated things but that's international shipping for you.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Current exchange rate has it at $85.24 so yeah you're right there.

I believe they should exchange it, yes. Memory serves I bought through paypal and that automatically converts, but I imagine it'll convert otherwise anyway. And yes you should be charged when it ships, unless things have changed (I last ordered something there about four years ago).

Amiami is reliable overall. I remember being satisfied with the way they shipped the stuff. Only thing I hated was how much import costs inflated things but that's international shipping for you.

I wonder how much are the import fees cost....

Strimei

So maybe...Over $90?

Should be thereabouts.

You're lucky I never delete my emails, I was able to go back and look at the payment/shipping info of my various orders over the years. Here's from one:

Subtotal: 5,930 JPY
Shipping: 2,400 JPY
Grand total: 8,330 JPY

Also you're pretty lucky because when I made this particular order, 8,330 yen equaled $109.71. That'd be $70.41 today. God...exchange rates have really changed.

Anyway this was for a pretty decent sized figurine (box itself was stupidly big too, on top of it) so its a good example.

daevious

I do recall that a streamer summarized her character as "cool headed, yet hot blooded".

Honestly, I think a better comparison would be Mitsuru more than Naoto.

Dantis

I do recall that a streamer summarized her character as "cool headed, yet hot blooded".

Honestly, I think a better comparison would be Mitsuru more than Naoto.
When I played it she didn't seem anything like Mitsuru from what I could tell.

Naoto tries to act cool and collected but is actually a fucking nerd, and that was the vibe I got from Makoto. Problem is, I lost all nuance in my playthrough, so who knows.

daevious

When I played it she didn't seem anything like Mitsuru from what I could tell.

Naoto tries to act cool and collected but is actually a fucking nerd, and that was the vibe I got from Makoto. Problem is, I lost all nuance in my playthrough, so who knows.

My Mitsuru comparisons stem more from her position before she joins the thieves. Makoto lacks the respect (the students think she's a stuck up bitch) nor the power (she couldn't stop Kamoshida from abusing his power and some of the students even assume she tried to cover it up) that Mitsuru had while Student Council President.

Just don't ask me about my grand visions of a Breaking Bad+Seinfeld inspired Persona game, you've been warned.
Actually don't, I've put literally no thought into this.

In other news, I recently bought P4 Arena Ultimax and the P4 Arena story mode DLC. And also [REDACTED?], couldn't afford any other characters. Can't wait to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

I hate Ultimax more than pretty much any other game, but I'd call it more "wasteful" than "trainwreck"

Mobile Suit Gooch

Should be thereabouts.

You're lucky I never delete my emails, I was able to go back and look at the payment/shipping info of my various orders over the years. Here's from one:

Subtotal: 5,930 JPY
Shipping: 2,400 JPY
Grand total: 8,330 JPY

Also you're pretty lucky because when I made this particular order, 8,330 yen equaled $109.71. That'd be $70.41 today. God...exchange rates have really changed.

Anyway this was for a pretty decent sized figurine (box itself was stupidly big too, on top of it) so its a good example.

Damn. That shipping fee....

Figures collecting is one of my most expensive hobbies.

Lynx_7

I hate Ultimax more than pretty much any other game, but I'd call it more "wasteful" than "trainwreck"

That seems a little too strong a reaction for a fighting game story. lol
I'm just expecting usual fighting game story sillyness and some fun times with gameplay. Though I'm afraid of the online mode being exclusively populated by the pros. I'd imagine not many newcomers like me are gonna be playing online in such an old game.

That seems a little too strong a reaction for a fighting game story. lol
I'm just expecting usual fighting game story sillyness and some fun times with gameplay. Though I'm afraid of the online mode being exclusively populated by the pros. I'd imagine not many newcomers like me are gonna be playing online in such an old game.

To be fair, I can enjoy pretty much anything bad as long as it doesn't disappoint me.

Dantis

My Mitsuru comparisons stem more from her position before she joins the thieves. Makoto lacks the respect (the students think she's a stuck up bitch) nor the power (she couldn't stop Kamoshida from abusing his power and some of the students even assume she tried to cover it up) that Mitsuru had while Student Council President.

Right... so she's nothing like Mitsuru...

Sophia

Honestly, they play with character tropes so much in Persona 5 that I feel a direct comparison with any Persona 3 or 4 character is doing them a bit of a disservice.

8N8KXVP.jpg

Hey cats, to celebrate Persona 5's wins at the Playstation Awards, all DLC will be on sale! For five days only everything will be 55% off, except the Persona 1 DLC, which is still in DLC jail and will never be seen again.

DLC prices listed below:
Costume/BGM packs will be 360 yen (~3.00 USD)
PS4 themes are 90 yen (~0.70 USD)
PS3 themes are 45 yen (~0.40 USD)
Special legacy personas will be 135 yen (~1.15 USD)

Those prices certainly make the DLC more enticing, tbh.

Dantis

Haven't posted any art in here in a while.

Not sure what I think of the DLC outfits. They all have a weird style to them. Definitely not Soejima designed. The Ultimax ones are really, really weird looking.

Mediking

Haven't posted any art in here in a while.

Not sure what I think of the DLC outfits. They all have a weird style to them. Definitely not Soejima designed. The Ultimax ones are really, really weird looking.

Is this Makoto??? Wow... she looks great in purple and black. I thought it was Naoto for a second there.

And hopefully most of the DLC is ready by launch because I'm buying them ALL.

daevious

Is this Makoto??? Wow... she looks great in purple and black. I thought it was Naoto for a second there.

And hopefully most of the DLC is ready by launch because I'm buying them ALL.

It IS Naoto wearing Makoto's outfit, Makoto's eyes tend to be either brown or light red.

Either way, it's still a really talented piece. Way to go, Dantis.

Dantis

what's that got to do with being 'younger' or 'older'

(as far as I can make out the game's views on the senpai/kouhai thing they usually do in persona games is kind of muted before the 'outcast' aspect)
Right, so you mean she has a younger personality.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I always found the idea that Mitsuru was only 17/18 to be completely laughable. She neither looks it nor acts it.

Jintor

agreed.

but persona (since 3 anyway) has always been a 'we adolescents are self-reliant' fantasy thing as well to some extent imho so it makes sense to me while they were still figuring it out that some characters would skew higher than they were aiming.

agreed.

but persona (since 3 anyway) has always been a 'we adolescents are self-reliant' fantasy thing as well to some extent imho so it makes sense to me while they were still figuring it out that some characters would skew higher than they were aiming.

Ah yes, the genius CEO-to-be that was so high-brow she shrugs at SEES getting more funds and doesn't know how to eat a hamburger.

Except Dragon Ball and One Piece to a degree. The most popular manga/anime out there.

Neither of which are JRPG series.

In other news: FF12 making Vaan the protagonist instead of Basch.

edit: It's not new, but it does demonstrate tendencies in Japanese game development better than using examples from manga. (One of which is older than both Final Fantasy and SMT anyway, so you really shouldn't make age determine its relevance)

Lynx_7

For a more contemporary (and company relevant) example, Nanashi (SMT IV: A) was supposed to be in his 20s before being changed to a 17 year old.
Granted, I don't know if the japanese public is just really that obsessed with young protagonists or if that's just an assumption/safe bet from higher ups. SMT IV: A sold less than its predecessor with an older cast, Catherine did good, and looking at other companies Metal Gear Solid does very well in the japanese market and GTA V has recently sold over 1 million copies there, so it's not like there's no precedent for successful older casts in games.

PK Gaming

For a more contemporary (and company relevant) example, Nanashi (SMT IV: A) was supposed to be in his 20s before being changed to a 17 year old.
Granted, I don't know if the japanese public is just really that obsessed with young protagonists or if that's just an assumption/safe bet from higher ups. SMT IV: A sold less than its predecessor with an older cast, Catherine did good, and looking at other companies Metal Gear Solid does very well in the japanese market and GTA V has recently sold over 1 million copies there, so it's not like there's no precedent for successful older casts in games.

Nanashi is 15 actually

With Apocalypse, I think the whole point was that the protagonists were pre-adolescents trying to grow up in a fucked up world, so it wasn't a case of "mass marketing." Even the development team was mostly comprised of younger people (and it shows, lol)

Top Bottom