• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Lynx_7

Nanashi is 15 actually

With Apocalypse, I think the whole point was that the protagonists were pre-adolescents trying to grow up in a fucked up world, so it wasn't a case of "mass marketing." Even the development team was mostly comprised of younger people (and it shows, lol)

Jesus, that's right, he's even younger than I remembered. It just dawned on me that a 15 year old (ENDGAME SPOILERS)
handed Odin's, Krishna's, Lucifer's and YHVH's ass on a plate all in the span of like a few weeks, a month at best
. Damn, my biggest accomplishment at 15 was not failing school.

I understand your point and I can see that being true, but the cynic in me believes they also wanted to try and appeal to the younger crowd on some level, hence not only the younger cast but also the focus on bonds and shipteasing.

PK Gaming

I understand your point and I can see that being true, but the cynic in me believes they also wanted to try and appeal to the younger crowd on some level, hence not only the younger cast but also the focus on bonds and shipteasing.

Oh, that much is undeniable. Apocalypse tried to capture about what people loved about megaten games in addition to pandering to the animu crowd. It ends up working well in some instances (the main cast is loveable) and terribly in others (the protagonist is a plank of wood despite being at the center of the plot, toki)

Oh, that much is undeniable. Apocalypse tried to capture about what people loved about megaten games in addition to pandering to the animu crowd. It ends up working well in some instances (the main cast is loveable) and terribly in others (the protagonist is a plank of wood despite being at the center of the plot, toki)

I was about to argue one of those negatives (pretty sure you know which it isn't), before I realized you were right on both.

Poor mainline heroes, never getting the same sparkling personalities as their spinoff brethren.

SMT4A was made on the cheap, so they were very clearly trying to cast as wide of net as possible, and that's why you get the fan service for longtime SMT fans with a coat of more accessible anime trappings. It... didn't really work out that well. The SMT fanservice is basically tacked on awkwardly in a way that makes it feel like bonus content (this does not include the literal DLC SMT fanservice with all the protagonists). The main cast seems to have been assembled from a checklist of anime archetypes without really considering why they should be in the game or what they should contribute to the plot, and they just sort of end up doing nothing but taking up space. (You also have issues with turning off a lot of potential buyers who either haven't played 4, or played 4 but didn't like it enough to revisit that world with 4A, or played 4 and hated it)

Which is super disappointing, because Devil Survivor did a fantastic job of marrying traditional SMT with more accessible anime trappings, so it's not like this can't work. (TBH I think Devil Survivor is a better SMT4 than SMT4 but don't tell anyone)

asagami_

Banned
Jesus, that's right, he's even younger than I remembered. It just dawned on me that a 15 year old (ENDGAME SPOILERS)
handed Odin's, Krishna's, Lucifer's and YHVH's ass on a plate all in the span of like a few weeks, a month at best
. Damn, my biggest accomplishment at 15 was not failing school.

I'm pretty sure SMT protagonist never have been too old. Hell, we could argue this for the first and third SMT (and the second, but that is in its own league xD)

Nachos

Sadayo (Michelle Ruff), Hifumi (Eden Riegel) , and Toranosuke.

Sadayo and Hifumi are actually well-cast (voice-wise), but I'm bummed that Atlus is being so quick to reuse actors again. There's also something funky going on with on of Sadayo's lines where the audio mixing completely changes.

I also love Toranosuke's voice, which is great, since he was the confidant I was most looking forward to, but all three of them still have awkward lines (either because of phrasing or because there's no flow).

Nachos

On second listen, Sadayo's acting seems...like it's missing.

Ruff and Riegel are great as always.

Toranosuke sounds right for the character, but a bit too thin for that body.
Yeah, I can see that. I guess part of it was just me being happy that Toranosuke doesn't sound like an anime actor. He still has some anime-isms, like all of the ellipses, but he sounds pretty grounded.

Sadayo (Michelle Ruff), Hifumi (Eden Riegel) , and Toranosuke.

Sadayo and Hifumi are actually well-cast (voice-wise), but I'm bummed that Atlus is being so quick to reuse actors again. There's also something funky going on with on of Sadayo's lines where the audio mixing completely changes.

I also love Toranosuke's voice, which is great, since he was the confidant I was most looking forward to, but all three of them still have awkward lines (either because of phrasing or because there's no flow).
Agreed, it is kinda annoying to hear Yukari and Marie's voices coming out of these characters.
Still, I'm not going to say no to more Eden Riegel.

PK Gaming

Which is super disappointing, because Devil Survivor did a fantastic job of marrying traditional SMT with more accessible anime trappings, so it's not like this can't work. (TBH I think Devil Survivor is a better SMT4 than SMT4 but don't tell anyone)

Bruh, Devil Survivor is a top tier megaten game. No need to be nervous about thinking it's better than 4, haha.

Sophia

Sadayo sounds like Michelle Ruff playing Michelle Ruff. It's not bad, but it's some pretty poor typecasting.

Hifumi and Toranosuke sound great tho.

Lusankya

I am so glad I am not a native English speaker. Because of that I don't hear the supposedly awkward lines.

Anyways, love Sadayo's voice, even though you can hear a little bit of a grown up Yukari in her.

Makio

Sadayo sounds like Michelle Ruff playing Michelle Ruff. It's not bad, but it's some pretty poor typecasting.

That's basically my problem with it , i love Michelle and Eden voices i think they are in my top 5 of female VA in this series ... but i really expecting more "generic" voices for these characters.

Their voices are too recognizable for my taste specially if they using the same tone as their previous characters , but cant ask for better actress both are great.

Is funny because Sadayo having Ruff voice is like the best thing for me but cant enjoy it because i cant unhear Yukari (at least she sounds kinda diferent in Catherine...a little).
Same with Marie the player.

Now waiting for the Aigis, Junpei , Wendee Lee , Chie , Naoto and Narukami confidants...

PD: Amazing how almost bet money in Hifumi being voiced by Stephanie Sheh ... that was her character right there.

FluxWaveZ

https://youtu.be/xCTcUUYCoBk?t=12m55s

This is the reason why some things about the Persona series' English voice acting can be pretty jarring, from changes between games, to clear reuse for other characters, to pre-release media to original Fuuka.

You can't disassociate a voice from their character. I see that Spider-Man PS4 trailer and my first thought is that Yosuke got himself a costume and moved to New York

It's a bit disquieting when it's for a series where the characters are so important.

Sophia

I actually think Hifumi sounds fine and can't really hear Marie in it unless I listen closely.

This is the reason why some things about the Persona series' English voice acting can be pretty jarring, from changes between games, to clear reuse for other characters, to pre-release media to original Fuuka.

You can't disassociate a voice from their character. I see that Spider-Man PS4 trailer and my first thought is that Yosuke got himself a costume and moved to New York

It's a bit disquieting when it's for a series where the characters are so important.

Yeah. I'm glad the main cast consists largely of new actors for this reason. Regardless of their performance, we won't associate them with other characters.

Makio

And like Flux says it would work better if Ruff use her "more adult" voice i see it in other roles but thats basically Yukari.

Is really trying Sadayo to sound young (for "social link" reasons) , despite Yukari sounds more adult than a teenager..

MSMrRound

Sadayo, however, is basically Yukari in the form of yet another teacher.

maxresdefault.jpg

Atlus planned this in advance.

Dantis

I'm pretty pleased with all the S Link casting so far.
I also think the weird writing style is starting to grow on me. It could definitely be better, but there's a weird charm in how cumbersome some of the lines are.
With P3, P4 and Catherine, I felt like they were the absolute best they could be with the resources that they had. I don't think that's the case at all with P5, but man, I still love me some Persona.

Sophia

Hifumi and Toranosuke feel like they're gonna be good characters. I admit I didn't care too much for the teacher to begin with, but we'll see. I didn't care much for Ryuji at first either and now he's a favorite.

Also, minor spoilers in regards to P5 co-ops:
But i really like how almost all the co-ops are seemingly built around him being a more badass Phantom Thief. They're all hustling or making deals in some manner. It's great

Dantis

Hifumi and Toranosuke feel like they're gonna be good characters. I admit I didn't care too much for the teacher to begin with, but we'll see. I didn't care much for Ryuji at first either and now he's a favorite.

Also, minor spoilers in regards to P5 co-ops:
But i really like how almost all the co-ops are seemingly built around him being a more badass Phantom Thief. They're all hustling or making deals in some manner. It's great

I actually dislike the spoilered. I like the idea of the links being thematic, rather than slapping you in the face.

Alas, Persona 5.

Nachos

I actually think Hifumi sounds fine and can't really hear Marie in it unless I listen closely.
Yeah, don't get me wrong: if this was Riegel's first Persona role, I'd be all for the casting. She fits the character really well, but it's hard to distance her from such a major role in the series.

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually don't mind some actors being prolific, even if they regularly use the same voice. Like, I think Lowenthal's one of the absolute best actors in the business, but he's notorious for having a very small vocal range. It gets to the point where I see people bemoan anyone with a tenor voice, just because they think it's him. Meanwhile, I'm just eating up whatever he says, because his emotional fidelity is so good.

But the Persona series is in such a unique but weird spot right now. It's a long-running series, each entry packed with an ensemble cast, limited to using nonunion talent each time. That would be a nightmare for a lot of casting directors, but then the series goes on to establish more world building, bringing all of the settings and characters even closer together. Suddenly casting choices that were made half a decade ago because they made sense get put under more scrutiny because the English casting directors couldn't predict all of these characters interacting with each other. It's also so character-driven and has been so grounded in the past that each character's guaranteed to be liked/or relatable to someone.

So with all of this world-building – all of these character dynamics and audience investment running amok – pressure cooked for eight years, the littlest thing can undermine the series' world integrity. That can happen through writing or presentation or a lot of things, but often it comes through the voice, just because they are so core to the characters who are the face of the series. And it's just so easy to pick up on. I've never cared that Atlus has used a lot of the same actors across various SMT games, but within each series – each individual world – hearing two different people talk with the same voice kills any credence. I'm no longer an enrapt audience; I'm a critic, judging each niggling inconsistency I would've ignored before. I'm ignoring the emotional forest for the technical trees.

I think it's interesting that HDD brings up Star Wars fans, because they've become such a parody of themselves at this point. But it, just like any good character-driven series, effortlessly makes you want to invest yourself. That can come with entitlement, but often it just means higher expectations, which, if they're not hit, "hurt" all the more, because you're so invested.

I've been really critical of the localization so far, but most of that stems from wanting it to be its best. I don't get like this with most games, especially when I don't play that many nowadays.

Sophia

I actually dislike the spoilered. I like the idea of the links being thematic, rather than slapping you in the face.

Alas, Persona 5.

They are thematic, just not in the way you're thinking of. :p

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually don't mind some actors being prolific, even if they regularly use the same voice. Like, I think Lowenthal's one of the absolute best actors in the business, but he's notorious for having a very small vocal range. It gets to the point where I see people bemoan anyone with a tenor voice, just because they think it's him. Meanwhile, I'm just eating up whatever he says, because his emotional fidelity is so good.

I think there are cases where it fits to use the same actor. Matthew Mercer as Yusuke is basically a perfect fit despite him previously playing Kanji because he brings out the character and makes it his own. Which is a key element for both actors and directors to strive for. And as far as Persona 5 goes, we're actually largely seeing that, so it makes the one case that fails to do so stand out a little bit more.

Lynx_7

Is P5's platinum too obnoxious? Like, does it require tedious tasks such as "collect all 5000 mini medals!" or something?

I remember Catherine's platinum being too much for me so I hope it's easier than that. Thinking about adding it to my very small collection of platinum trophies.

Lusankya

Is P5's platinum too obnoxious? Like, does it require tedious tasks such as "collect all 5000 mini medals!" or something?

I remember Catherine's platinum being too much for me so I hope it's easier than that. Thinking about adding it to my very small collection of platinum trophies.

Sounds as easy as P4G's platinum trophy.

I think there are cases where it fits to use the same actor. Matthew Mercer as Yusuke is basically a perfect fit despite him previously playing Kanji because he brings out the character and makes it his own. Which is a key element for both actors and directors to strive for. And as far as Persona 5 goes, we're actually largely seeing that, so it makes the one case that fails to do so stand out a little bit more.

-insert joke here about the...3? Times Mercer has dubbed for Sugita-

Tamanon

Banned
I remember every time I heard Lloyd speak in Tales of Symphonia it took me out of the game, since he sounded EXACTLY like his Robin voice from Teen Titans.

I remember every time I heard Lloyd speak in Tales of Symphonia it took me out of the game, since he sounded EXACTLY like his Robin voice from Teen Titans.

I recently played that, and almost immediately I was like "this guy sounds super familiar, why?" Then I looked it up and started laughing.

It'd been long enough since I watched TT that it didn't mess up my experience, but I've been avoiding watching Young Justice because I have a feeling that Robin will just constantly remind me of Ventus/Roxas from Kingdom Hearts.

thenexus6

I just finished Golden for the first time, I got the bad ending number whatever.

So I went back to my save and picked the right options! Here I go !

Olengie

I was probably one of the few people who managed to get Rise's Number 1 Fan trophy on the first playthrough. Besides that, it was easy to platinum

Aigis wasn't pushed that hard before P3 was released. I mean, obviously she was prominent in the opening animation and the anime clips in the Famitsu Wave trailer, but in terms of artwork it was Yukari that was all over the place.

(Well, ok, Aigis is in that last one, but Yukari is out front)

vaporeon

Aigis wasn't pushed that hard before P3 was released. I mean, obviously she was prominent in the opening animation and the anime clips in the Famitsu Wave trailer, but in terms of artwork it was Yukari that was all over the place.

(Well, ok, Aigis is in that last one, but Yukari is out front)
I was looking at Atlus old website promoting Persona 3 FES (http://www.atlus.com/persona3/home.html) and all dat Aigis.
Granted, that is FES and not the original P3...

Top Bottom