• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

The plot gets a lot more interesting in October, but SEES will arguably never become as close as the Investigation Team were in P4.

Thanks for that. I'm near the end of June so things should pick up in 3 or 4 months!

I'll probably stick with it, I just got to a point where I started asking if I'm actually enjoying myself. 30 hours is a lot of time to invest without much story progression (for me).

My main issue with Marie is that her character arc and role in the story is
essentially the same as Teddie's. We already have one enigmatic amnesiac with ties to the supernatural in the game, we didn't need another.

Mediking

I already own a 3DS.
I'm struggling to come up with more than 2 interesting Vita games that aren't already available on other platforms. There's Ys Memories of Celcetta and... I got nothing.

I don't own a vita.
I just got a PSTV the instant they were available.

PS Vita has a huge library of old school games and JRPGs in general. I got all the Personas on it and some Final Fantasies. And some other quirky games. Lol

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
essentially the same as Teddie's. We already have one enigmatic amnesiac with ties to the supernatural in the game, we didn't need another.

I still say that she should've been a part of the party. Or maybe in the OG game as well.

Marie has the same issue as some of the spinoff plots, in that they attempt to tack more stuff onto an already very self contained story.

Her boss battle theme is great though

Setsu00

I.... I......

How do I begin?

First off, you really aren't the 1st person to hear say this. You're really not. There's people who played P4G before P3 and they're like, "LMAO. Are these guys even friends?"

P3's cast ARE friends and they're bonded together for something they believe in. That's also the appeal of P3's cast, in my opinion. The cast in P4 looks at Yu Narukami like the cool city guy whose their leader which is cool. In P3, the cast of P3 looks at Minato as the guy they think is level headed and calm and a strong fighter.

Where exactly ARE you in the story?

Um? SEES is pretty close. Must I bring up the ending to Persona 3 FES? Or the last Arc? Or the other stuff?

The dynamics within the members of SEES differ so much from those within the Investigation Team that it even becomes a minor plot point in the P3 route of Persona Q: Yukari openly questions their bond when she sees how much closer the P4 cast is. Even without PQ pointing it out directly you can easily make out various subgroups that hardly interact with each other and essentially only do so as they are members of the same club.
The Answer also shows how fragile that bond really is once their common cause is gone.

The plot gets a lot more interesting in October, but SEES will arguably never become as close as the Investigation Team were in P4.
The dynamics within the members of SEES differ so much from those within the Investigation Team that it even becomes a minor plot point in the P3 route of Persona Q: Yukari openly questions their bond when she sees how much closer the P4 cast is. Even without PQ pointing it out directly you can easily make out various subgroups that hardly interact with each other and essentially only do so as they are members of the same club.
The Answer also shows how fragile that bond really is once their common cause is gone.
Agreed. The way I see P3 is that it's a bunch of awkward people uniting to get a job done while P4 is more about a group of friends. It's easier to get attached to the P4 cast because everyone so clearly loves each other, but the relationships in P3 are so much more complex and interesting imo. Like the scene where
Akihiko mourns you know who at his funeral
worked so well because it had a ton of emotional weight that juxtaposed everyone angsting and having so much tension in every scene. I think by the end of the game and by The Answer, they become a sort of quiet but caring family, especially when everyone is parting ways. The tone in P4 is so much more different, because both games have different goals.

Also you touched on one of the most surprising and endearing things about PQ: the fact that it still pushes the characterization stuff even though it's almost 100% a meaningless nothing of a story. I was shocked when Yosuke had an entire speech about how Saki kind of did not give a flying fart about him and that she kind of hated him, but he still had her in his heart and used his memories of her to push forward and fight. It was really mature and neat and I dug the hell out of it.

I can agree to this. I don't really think her
amnesia
adds much. I'd rather just be herself!

asagami_

Banned
Um? SEES is pretty close. Must I bring up the ending to Persona 3 FES? Or the last Arc? Or the other stuff?

Some were close to each other, but not everyone between them, and even the MC was not so close to everyone unless was a woman lol The P3 female route try to fix this problem at least.

Lynx_7

Persona 3 is very slow paced but 30 hours should be enough to tell whether or not it's for you. My rule of thumb is if you aren't enjoying it 10 hours in, then you probably won't enjoy it 20 hours later.

I think it's a very good game, but between the large periods of little to nothing happening and the repetitive nature of Tartarus even I felt burnt out at times. P4 has a lot of social activities and story events throughout the months which helps in therms of pacing.

Marie has the same issue as some of the spinoff plots, in that they attempt to tack more stuff onto an already very self contained story.

Her boss battle theme is great though

Well, it could have been way worse.

Remember how Sho was ALWAYS at Yasogami, and they just didn't notice?

*angrish*

Now I wonder what the P5 spin-offs are going to look like...

Watch the next wildcard be (MASSIVE P5 endgame spoilers!!)
Akira's former cellmate at juvie
... who was also a Gekkoukan student or the 4th Anti-Shadow weapon or whatever.

I forgot Persona Q existed. :eek: I saw how the dungeon crawling was in first person pov and instantly noped. Might give a try one day though, unless Etrian Odyssey itself is better?

I mean...
technically it doesn't
, but still... :/

vaporeon

I forgot Persona Q existed. :eek: I saw how the dungeon crawling was in first person pov and instantly noped. Might give a try one day though, unless Etrian Odyssey itself is better?

Am I right in thinking that in my terrible thread the other day you said you draw Persona fanart?
Yep! I'm currently in the fifth row of images when you google Haru Okumura, lol. So I'm literally famous! /s
I've barely been drawing, though. :( Hope to change that this new year!

Dantis

I still say that she should've been a part of the party. Or maybe in the OG game as well.
She definitely should have been a party member. Would have meant way, way more.

Yep! I'm currently in the fifth row of images when you google Haru Okumura, lol. So I'm literally famous! /s
Got a link? I'm always interested in seeing what other people are drawing.

Style

Banned

SAQwN7i.png

If it's the one I'm thinking it is, you got upgraded to the fourth row.

artsi

That's cool man.

My fiction female/human Morgana also comes up when you google "Morgana Persona" lol :p

Dantis

That's cool man.

My fiction female/human Morgana also comes up when you google "Morgana Persona" lol :p

For some reason I didn't know that you drew fanart.

Am I crazy or did Setsu draw something similar to that? Maybe I just got you two mixed up, I dunno.

vaporeon

Got a link? I'm always interested in seeing what other people are drawing.
Art tag, there are things that aren't Persona though. You can see the change of style and skill with each one you scroll though, lol!

SAQwN7i.png

If it's the one I'm thinking it is, you got upgraded to the fourth row.
I'm moving on up in this google analytical image rank world! :'''')

That's cool man.
Two of your drawings show up actually! :eek: Also had the misfortune of seeing diaper fanart googling that....

So basically a self-insert character in a Persona 4 fix fic? I can see why a lot of people have an issue with her if that's the case.

She's less of a self insert than Yu Narukami, a literally a self insert for the player that comes to town, gains unique special powers, becomes everyone's best friend and has all the girls fall in love with him.

She's less of a self insert than Yu Narukami, a literally a self insert for the player that comes to town, gains unique special powers, becomes everyone's best friend and has all the girls fall in love with him.

I mean, there's how Marie makes the previous totes canon love interest™ get defensive.
She's pitched numerous times as the ONLY one who stands a chance against her. XD

I've taken that in my own direction, but that's neither here nor there.

PK Gaming

I mean, there's how Marie makes the previous totes canon love interest™ get defensive.
She's pitched numerous times as the ONLY one who stands a chance against her. XD

I've taken that in my own direction, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting you played an alternate version of P4 but...

Canon love interest? Stands a chance??

tumblr_lrwtadTBNc1qe1miv.png

I'm sorry, I keep forgetting you played an alternate version of P4 but...

Canon love interest? Stands a chance??

Sorry, bub. The "™" was supposed to imply I don't believe that myself.

Also, right after her boss fight and Rise gets worked up over how long Marie's been hugging Yu, Yukiko says "It's not often we find someone who can mess with Rise-chan".

Style

Banned
(P3)(P4)
I don't know why I find it funny that Ryoji and Marie both serve and has the exact same role in each their game except one of them was added in to the game 4 years after the initial release.

(P3)(P4)
I don't know why I find it funny that Ryoji and Marie both serve and has the exact same role in each their game except one of them was added in to the game 4 years later.

And yet she's the one who fits in seamlessly. She has no clue who she is, so someone else came up with a name for her. She has nobody, so she's not a student.

... I never finished The Golden Animation... Did they really hand her that scene too? Oh dear, poor Rise. (・_・ヾ)

Dunno what to say about the positive comments...

Mediking

Have we entered the Persona GAF cycle again?

This is what happens when you delay a Persona mainline game relentlessly.

We could all be having a party until Feb 14th but nooooooooooooooooooo.....

I wanna talk about what should be the name of the Persona 5 OT.

PK Gaming

I have no idea who any of these characters are, but the style is super charming.

-First one is Asahi from SMTIV: Apocalypse who is by far the best character in that game (and a top 5 megaten character in general don't @ me ADD)
-The second one is Eli from Love Live who would inevitably be your fav girl if you watched Love Live.
-The third one is Eirika from Fire Emblem 8, a.k.a one of the best protagonist's in the franchise.
-The fourth one is well... 2 more girls from Love Live, Rice and Cat Goddess. Aren't they the best of friends?

Setsu00

Oh yeah, obviously.

Seeing all this art makes me want to draw other characters, and then I realise I don't have any other characters to draw.

And thus, Naoto.

Zero from Drakengard 3! I keep voting for her in your Twitter polls, but she always gets outnumbered by literally anybody else.

vaporeon

Thank you all! <3

-First one is Asahi from SMTIV: Apocalypse who is by far the best character in that game (and a top 5 megaten character in general don't @ me ADD)
-The second one is Eli from Love Live who would inevitably be your fav girl if you watched Love Live.
-The third one is Eirika from Fire Emblem 8, a.k.a one of the best protagonist's in the franchise.
-The fourth one is well... 2 more girls from Love Live, Rice and Cat Goddess. Aren't they the best of friends?
It's funny cus I've never watched Love Live nor have I played SMT4:A yet. I haven't played Persona 4 yet either, and I've drawn fanart for it as well lmao.
(Don't tell anyone I'm such a fake)

PK Gaming

Thank you all! <3

It's funny cus I've never watched Love Live nor have I played SMT4:A yet. I haven't played Persona 4 yet either, and I've drawn fanart for it as well lmao.
(Don't tell anyone I'm such a fake)

You... you should play/watch all of these things!

Especially Love Live! You strike me as the type who'd Love Love Live

Top Bottom