• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

So what games is everyone getting in January? Just Yakuza Zero for me. I'll rent GR2 and moan about how bad it is though, obviously.
Definitely buying FF XV and hopefully Resi 7. Resi 7 looks like the best Resident Evil game since the original, so I'm so excited!!

...oh and I forgot Kingdom Hearts was a thing that's happening. Maybe that too.

Yeah I get that, but the damage you take from bosses is super high on War / Apocalypse, making full on stomps hard to pull off (which is where Asahi shines the most). Don't get me wrong, Navarre is easily in the running for best partner in turns of gameplay alone (and he's an amazing character to boot), I've just never felt compelled to use him.

And Toki was like every bad anime trope rolled into one. From the harem baiting, the cringeworthy yandere lines and other nonsense ("notice me master!"), she consistently managed drag down experience and is one of the main contributors to Apocalypse's "anime as fuck" tone. The other side of her character is legitimately great, since she's a snarky contrast to everyone's straightforward nature, but that side of her
is literally buried after that one quest
. She was definitely a beast in combat though.
What
I do find Apocalypse's tone quite grating at time, same way I feel about Persona 4's. As much as I give SMT IV a ton of grief about everything, its tone is something it did really well, even though it was nowhere near Nocturne or Persona 3's tone. I love the angsty "everyone is sad all the time" tone in my works, which is why Persona 3 is my fav SMT game :p

I actually felt like TMS balanced this really well. As you get newer party members, you should be at the point where older ones are getting the skill that lets the join in on sessions from reserves, so you can switch in the newer ones whilst the old members are still levelling. TMS is probably my favourite example of a game balancing a larger cast and still keeping everyone relevant thanks to the session system, even if they're not in the active party.

Kingdom Hearts, and maybe Gravity Rush

And Navarre > Asahi.
I never wanted to use anyone in TMS besides Kiria and Tsubasa. I only used those two the entire game, so by the time I was at the final boss I realized that I wasn't going anywhere without those skills from each party member. The fact thats that you need to raise Stage Rank for it which is a lot more obtuse than leveling up and the skills aren't in the early Skill Ranks meant a TON of grinding for characters I never planned on ever touching ever. I mean, there's quite a bit to appreciate in the Sessions system but the grinding needed for the join in session skills was unacceptable imo, especially since I felt the game didn't need it until the very end.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So how worth while is the FES content anyway? I have a PS2 so I could get P3FES but I really just mainly use my Vita so I'd probably actually finish the game if I got P3 Portable, which I've heard is missing a lot of content but has full party control in battles?

PK Gaming

I had a rough day at work....

Hmmm, hmmm everyone has those days. Don't worry about it man

tumblr_inline_nl5nomiVAL1sptc1c.gif

I love the angsty "everyone is sad all the time" tone in my works, which is why Persona 3 is my fav SMT game :p

Huh...
Good to finally see someone finally be honest about it. :p

So how worth while is the FES content anyway? I have a PS2 so I could get P3FES but I really just mainly use my Vita so I'd probably actually finish the game if I got P3 Portable, which I've heard is missing a lot of content but has full party control in battles?

Well, let's see, The Answer is a hard-mode-only dungeon crawl with lots of overwrought drama and a plot thread that will never get resolved.

P3P has FeMC, full-party controll, and a way to get rid of tiredness.

This comparison is seeming more and more one-sided every time I look at them.

FES has cutscenes, outdoor exploratory areas that you get to walk around in instead of text adventure stuff, 40+ hours of additional GREAT content that moves the story and characters in meaningful direction (The Answer), unique and better sequences.

Persona 3 Portable has the option to play as a female protagonist, which is AWESOME but is better spent as your second playthrough of the Persona 3 experience.

FES for first time, if you adore it P3P is your second playthrough. Full party control is extraordinarily overrated and one of the reasons why Persona 4 is infinitely worse than Persona 3.

Lynx_7

I like FES' presentation better. I mean it's not like those are some amazing cutscenes or anything but I'll still take them over P3P's visual novel approach. I also see the lack of party control as part of the game's challenge since it was originally designed with that in mind.

But if portability is a big factor to you then just pick P3P. A lot of people seem to prefer it.
As much as I give SMT IV a ton of grief about everything, its tone is something it did really well, even though it was nowhere near Nocturne or Persona 3's tone. I love the angsty "everyone is sad all the time" tone in my works, which is why Persona 3 is my fav SMT game :p

I love melancholy too
(TP is best Zelda fite me irl)
but P3 didn't do it well enough for me to rank it above 4, Nocturne or even Apocalypse. If the whole game was as good as its last stretch then maybe. My biggest pet peeve is still the narrative's pace and repetitive nature. I think the game would benefit a lot from some more events in between moon phases.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think I'll go for P3P then! Mostly because the differences don't seem particularly huge and because if it's on my vita i'll actually finish it :p

PK Gaming

I think I'll go for P3P then! Mostly because the differences don't seem particularly huge and because if it's on my vita i'll actually finish it :p

gZ4QhlL.gif

Purists will tell you otherwise, but you made the right choice.

Also CHOOSE THE FEMALE PROTAGONIST (since it's the biggest reason to go portable / it contrasts nicely with your P4 experience)

Mediking

I'm just glad and grateful that JRPGS are growing and we can pick cool stuff to play and experience. :)

I imported my 1st game on PS4 from Japan a few months ago and it was a pretty cool. I barely understand Japanese but luckily the game I imported had English subtitles. Fun experience... only thing I hate is that DLC codes are region exclusive. Can't use Japanese DLC codes in North American PSN.... :( And O in Japanese games = X everywhere else. So O is like Accept/Ok in games. Lol it's staggering.

I'm half tempted to import P5 for the heck of it just to see how far I could go before screaming for the release in April. I barely understand Japanese so I would prolly crash into a wall the second after I poorly try to enter Joker's name as mine in the beginning.

Sophia

I'm just glad and grateful that JRPGS are growing and we can pick cool stuff to play and experience. :)

I imported my 1st game on PS4 from Japan a few months ago and it was a pretty cool. I barely understand Japanese but luckily the game I imported had English subtitles. Fun experience... only thing I hate is that DLC codes are region exclusive. Can't use Japanese DLC codes in North American PSN.... :( And O in Japanese games = X everywhere else. So O is like Accept/Ok in games. Lol it's staggering.

I'm half tempted to import P5 for the heck of it just to see how far I could go before screaming for the release in April. I barely understand Japanese so I would prolly crash into a wall the second after I poorly try to enter Joker's name as mine in the beginning.

You ever see the name entry for an Atlus game in Japanese? They actually have a pretty cool kanji name entry system. Here's what it looks like in Persona 5. They only have three spaces for first/last name as a result of that.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So I was about to pull the trigger on P3P when I realize that P5 comes out in like 4 months, and while that is a long way away, it'll take me at least 1 month to finish the game but I"m worried I'll have full JRPG fatigue by then since I would basically have played 2 70 hour classics back to back.

Soooo I'm just gonna ride it out.

Mediking

Back to playing Persona 1....

I know I said this before but that sad yet soft Agastya Tree theme where you save is amazing. Its so good. It seriously makes me close my eyes and reflect about life.

Apparently Masao is captured in a police station. Gotta save the original Junpei. Lol just joking.

Really like the MC's design. But in his battle portrait... he has black hair but in cutscenes he has purple. Has Atlus ever shown how people look in P1 in a updated style or something?

Strongest thing about this game so far is the dialogue from characters. It feels genuine and like real people.

No guys. There is. They cut the "e" from Anne.

E is too sexual for the west.

Was that post earlier seriously just the setup for an Ann joke?

Speaking of people's names, according to MegaTen Wikia, Yuki's sprouted an extra u in his name. Then again Fuuka exists, so I'm not surprised by this.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of people's names, according to MegaTen Wikia, Yuki's sprouted an extra u in his name. Then again Fuuka exists, so I'm not surprised by this.

Nah, his name was always Yuuki. Semi-related, but it kinda bugs me that Atlus USA seems insistent on translating long "o" sounds in names as "oh", for Tohru Adachi it wasn't so bad, but Ichiko Ohya really looks off to me, and I can't help but think of a Minnesotan accent saying "oh ya".

Edit: Actually, then again maybe it's not so bad. I mean the alternatives are either writing "Ooya", or "Ōya", the latter of which the engine may not support, and the former would just result in mispronunciations (which the game has enough of already thanks), and there's another reason I'm opposed to "Ooya"... Without writing "Oya", which is less correct, there's really no easy way to go about it. Just please fix "Ann".

Nah, his name was always Yuuki. Semi-related, but it kinda bugs me that Atlus USA seems insistent on translating long "o" sounds in names as "oh", for Tohru Adachi it wasn't so bad, but Ichiko Ohya really looks off to me, and I can't help but think of a Minnesotan accent saying "oh ya".

Just think of it like Duffman going "Oh yeah!" instead

Edit: Actually, then again maybe it's not so bad. I mean the alternatives are either writing "Ooya", or "Ōya", the latter of which the engine may not support, and the former would just result in mispronunciations (which the game has enough of already thanks), and there's another reason I'm opposed to "Ooya"... Without writing "Oya", which is less correct, there's really no easy way to go about it. Just please fix "Ann".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAK-Xj1zpvw Japanese trailer does have it with a single u

http://atlus.com/persona5/img/characters/chara_yuuki.png

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

Eh, his name's written as "ゆうき" in the co-op menu. That's "Yuuki".

Edit: Actually, who knows what's going on. As Nachos mentions, they're being incredibly inconsistent.

Atlus is being really inconsistent with all of the extended vowel sounds.

Ryuuji Sakamoto -> Ryuji Sakamoto (dropped u)
Yuusuke Kitagawa -> Yusuke Kitagawa (dropped u)
Makoto Niijima -> No Change (didn't drop i)
Gorou Akechi -> Goro Akechi (dropped u)
Soujirou Sakura -> Sojiro Sakura (dropped two u's)
Hifumi Tougou -> Hifumi Togo (dropped two u's)
Ichiko Ouya -> Ichiko Ohya (changed u to h)
Yuuki Mishima -> No change (didn't drop u)

I've never been a fan of how the イー sound looks in English, either. "Niijima" just looks ungainly to me, and I was sure they were going to drop the extra i.

Atlus gonna be Atlus I suppose. From the looks of most of those changes, I guess they were trying to match the names used by the Japanese promo material? Most of the extended vowels were dropped there, but if that's the case, it still seems strange that Yuki is Yuuki then, Oya is Ohya, and while it's not an extended vowel Anne being changed to Ann. Ah well, they're not P1 tier name changes at least.

Nachos

Atlus is being really inconsistent with all of the extended vowel sounds.

Ryuuji Sakamoto -> Ryuji Sakamoto (dropped u)
Yuusuke Kitagawa -> Yusuke Kitagawa (dropped u)
Makoto Niijima -> No Change (didn't drop i)
Gorou Akechi -> Goro Akechi (dropped u)
Soujirou Sakura -> Sojiro Sakura (dropped two u's)
Hifumi Tougou -> Hifumi Togo (dropped two u's)
Ichiko Ouya -> Ichiko Ohya (changed u to h)
Yuuki Mishima -> No change (didn't drop u)

I've never been a fan of how the イー sound looks in English, either. "Niijima" just looks ungainly to me, and I was sure they were going to drop the extra i.

Lunar15

I really wish they could have released this sooner. My brain's undergone so much upheval that I don't think I'm anywhere near as excited about persona or video games as I once was.

Mediking

I really wish they could have released this sooner. My brain's undergone so much upheval that I don't think I'm anywhere near as excited about persona or video games as I once was.

I'm still somewhat bitter too but seriously... play other games. There's other very hype and fun games coming really soon. Or just jump into your backlog. Or take a break in general and walk away until its P5's release.

I refuse to make the same mistake I made with Xenoblade Chronicles X. I refuse to let hype consume me so much that the game becomes something I dont even like anymore.

I'm still somewhat bitter too but seriously... play other games. There's other very hype and fun games coming really soon. Or just jump into your backlog. Or take a break in general and walk away until its P5's release.

I refuse to make the same mistake I made with Xenoblade Chronicles X. I refuse to let hype consume me so much that the game becomes something I dont even like anymore.

Hell, P5 doesn't even have the cruel mercy XCX got with a mixed reaction in Japan tempering expectations in the west.

Wait, you
don't want them to tone down the blatant homophobia?

Considering
the beach scene
doesn't really narrow it down, I'll assume that's not what fixyouregrammar means.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they just write entirely different lines for that particular bit.

Then I remember ?-chan from Persona 3's beach scene.
Oyy...

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, you
don't want them to tone down the blatant homophobia?

Considering that 'gag' isn't just limited to
the beach scene
and happens a few times, no I wasn't talking about that. As A Dead Diehard said, yeah - I meant
the beach scene
as a whole. It was more a "oh great another why do my japanese games have fanservice in them" post.
Though I honestly think removing or toning down the dialogue in that gag would do more harm than good. If Atlus USA "fixes" it, then Atlus Japan and Hashino won't hear any criticism for it, and nothing would change in future games. I'm also just in favor of the localization staying faithful to the original, and based on that principal, I feel it's a little hypocritical to be okay with things I dislike being changed, but not okay with things I do care about being changed.

Top Bottom