• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

vaporeon

You... you should play/watch all of these things!

Especially Love Live! You strike me as the type who'd Love Love Live
I used to play the Love Live mobile game, does that count at least?

I've been putting off Persona 4 for a really long time, mostly due to its length. I always joked that Persona 5 kept getting delayed because Atlus knows I haven't played P4 yet
I'm sorry y'all

Sushigod7

Hey guys I can't find the thread that got started for Persona 5 book club, had links to inspirations for Persona 5 specifically Lupin etc. Anyone got a link? I tried searching can't find it.

edit: Just found it lol ignore me.

PK Gaming

I used to play the Love Live mobile game, does that count at least?

I've been putting off Persona 4 for a really long time, mostly due to its length. I always joked that Persona 5 kept getting delayed because Atlus knows I haven't played P4 yet
I'm sorry y'all

Absolutely

raw

NOT

artsi

For some reason I didn't know that you drew fanart.

Am I crazy or did Setsu draw something similar to that? Maybe I just got you two mixed up, I dunno.

yeah I should just draw more ;__;

I once uploaded a fanart drawing video to YouTube, only video on my channel and it got me 100K views + over 100 subs but I haven't uploaded a second one after that lol

Lusankya

Ah, I finally got my copy of the Persona 5 artbook (it was accidentally sent somewhere else and they had to pick it up and re-deliver it again).

That thing is huge, more than 500 pages. Feels liek double the size than my other artbooks.

One questions to people who already got this and know the game:
What pages/sections are safe to browse without getting spoiled?

Of course saying stuff like "Don't browse (example) Haru's section" would be a spoiler in itself, so in these cases just tell me to not look at the character section in general.

If there are too many spoiler things then I would probably just wait until I have played P5 myself.

Edit: I just realized the index section is completely in Japanese and I can't read it at all, lol. So just giving me page numbers should be fine.

Mediking

To: atlusprime

Can you please give us any hope or details on Atlus supporting PS2 Classics to PS4 PSN? My wallet is ready.

Its 2017.... kinda hoping we get something...

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, I finally got my copy of the Persona 5 artbook (it was accidentally sent somewhere else and they had to pick it up and re-deliver it again).

That thing is huge, more than 500 pages. Feels liek double the size than my other artbooks.

Of course saying stuff like "Don't browse (example) Haru's section" would be a spoiler in itself, so in these cases just tell me to not look at the character section in general.

If there are too many spoiler things then I would probably just wait until I have played P5 myself.

Edit: I just realized the index section is completely in Japanese and I can't read it at all, lol. So just giving me page numbers should be fine.

Well it's debatable what constitutes a spoiler.
You're safe to browse the first 248 pages, though they show the ultimate personas and most of the character's portraits, so if you don't want to be spoiled on those, stay clear since they're pretty much scattered throughout and unavoidable.
Pages 266 - 340 cover the side characters, and chances are you know what all of them are from promo material, so they're spoiler free too.
Pages 458 onwards are spoiler free as well since they're mostly just concept art that was scrapped or significantly changed.
Avoid pages 248 - 264, and 342 - 412, since there are heavy spoilers pretty much on every page there. To be safe I'd stay at least a few pages away from these though.

Lusankya

Well it's debatable what constitutes a spoiler.
You're safe to browse the first 248 pages, though they show the ultimate personas and most of the character's portraits, so if you don't want to be spoiled on those, stay clear since they're pretty much scattered throughout and unavoidable.
Pages 266 - 340 cover the side characters, and chances are you know what all of them are from promo material, so they're spoiler free too.
Pages 458 onwards are spoiler free as well since they're mostly just concept art that was scrapped or significantly changed.
Avoid pages 248 - 264, and 342 - 412, since there are heavy spoilers pretty much on every page there. To be safe I'd stay at least a few pages away from these though.

Thanks a bunch. I think I just browse the first 248 pages then and will only take a glance at the ultimate personas.
Btw. I am glad page 331 is not a spoiler as I accidentally saw it on reddit. Based on the background of this character I guess I know why there are these images.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks a bunch. I think I just browse the first 248 pages then and will only take a glance at the ultimate personas.
Btw. I am glad page 331 is not a spoiler as I accidentally saw it on reddit. Based on the background of this character I guess I know why there are these images.

One thing I'll mention is that within those first 248 pages there's a lot of early concept art for characters, so bear in mind that a lot of that stuff isn't in the game. I'd hate for you to see Morgana's early designs (which are terrifying by the way) and thinking it's a huge spoiler.

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention, try to skip pages 194-196. They're not major spoilers or anything, but they'd best be avoided.
I'd also actually recommend stopping at page 240 rather than 248. Not a major spoiler either but you may not want to see what's there.

Mediking

This reminds me of how I reacted when I got my artbook for the collectors edition of Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I could only look at a few pages because it was full of spoilers. Lol

Mediking

Haven't heard anything, and this kind of thing is pretty low priority :/

!!!! Well, thanks for being honest and straightforward. I appreciate it.

Kinda surprised Atlus isnt like one of the 1st developers that Sony would beg to support the PS2 Classics to PS4 PSN thing.

Also, right after her boss fight and Rise gets worked up over how long Marie's been hugging Yu, Yukiko says "It's not often we find someone who can mess with Rise-chan".
God yes, I LOVED that scene ^^

-First one is Asahi from SMTIV: Apocalypse who is by far the best character in that game (and a top 5 megaten character in general don't @ me ADD)
-The second one is Eli from Love Live who would inevitably be your fav girl if you watched Love Live.
-The third one is Eirika from Fire Emblem 8, a.k.a one of the best protagonist's in the franchise.
-The fourth one is well... 2 more girls from Love Live, Rice and Cat Goddess. Aren't they the best of friends?
I want to argue and say Asahi isn't, but... I dunno? Asahi is alright, I guess. I kinda like her quite a bit and she has a nice arc but she's all like "i'm so useless" which makes me want to dislike her and also doesn't make any sense because she carries way harder than Gaston and Nozomi.

To me Apocalypse was Atlus' attempt at making a SMT game in the vein of Persona and it kind of works and doesn't and the end result is something extraordinarily fascinating.

Also I will heavily disagree on Eirika :p

Not really surprising I weren't expecting persona 5 to come on switch anyways.
They've got their Etrian Odyssey's/SMT games plus others that could come to it instead.
I really look forward to how EO is going to play on the Switch. It's never been on a home console before, right? Also it's been so long since SMT hit a home console, so can't wait!!

PK Gaming

I want to argue and say Asahi isn't, but... I dunno? Asahi is alright, I guess. I kinda like her quite a bit and she has a nice arc but she's all like "i'm so useless" which makes me want to dislike her and also doesn't make any sense because she carries way harder than Gaston and Nozomi.

To me Apocalypse was Atlus' attempt at making a SMT game in the vein of Persona and it kind of works and doesn't and the end result is something extraordinarily fascinating.

Also I will heavily disagree on Eirika :p

Well, see, the thing is...

Asahi's characterization is just way better than pretty much everyone in Apocalypse. We're talking about a character who completely subverts the typical SMT Heroine "healer" archetype. She's hotblooded and gung-ho, but also reckless and impatient. Instead of being the nag who tells the hero "not" to do things, she's always the one who charges into dangerous situations (culminating in her dad telling YOU the player stand by her side and keep her in check, when it's usually the other way around). And yeah, she's down on herself for being "weak" but it's completely justified in the setting. Her friends wield amazing powers while she's just a 15 year old girl who can barely control her demons. She arguably doesn't even "carry" until
she gets her shit together after you know who dies
but that's after she reaches her first major milestone in her character arc anyway. The only character who even manages to come close to being as good as her is Hallelujah.

Also Eirika owns. Why the FE fandom gives Ephraim a pass and not her will forever mystify me.

Actually, I know why :x

@Cipher Peon

Have you played Tokyo Mirage Sessions on Wii U?
Yupp yupp!

Thought it was a pretty woeful experience, the literal personification of "oh." I'm 100% okay with the fact that I'm still extraordinarily bitter about its initial trailer, but even besides that it's just full of things that infuriate me. I beat it last week too, glad it's over and done with. Was like 70+ hours of me not enjoying any of it.

It would be the worst SMT game I've played if I haven't played Devil Survivor and it would be the worst FE game I've played if I haven't played Shadow Dragon (which is hilarious considering TMS LOVES Shadow Dragon).

Well, see, the thing is...

Asahi's characterization is just way better than pretty much everyone in Apocalypse. We're talking about a character who completely subverts the typical SMT Heroine "healer" archetype. She's hotblooded and gung-ho, but also reckless and impatient. Instead of being the nag who tells the hero "not" to do things, she's always the one who charges into dangerous situations (culminating in her dad telling YOU the player stand by her side and keep her in check, when it's usually the other way around). And yeah, she's down on herself for being "weak" but it's completely justified in the setting. Her friends wield amazing powers while she's just a 15 year old girl who can barely control her demons. She arguably doesn't even "carry" until
she gets her shit together after you know who dies
but that's after she reaches her first major milestone in her character arc anyway. The only character who even manages to come close to being as good as her is Hallelujah.

Also Eirika owns. Why the FE fandom gives Ephraim a pass and not her will forever mystify me.

Actually, I know why :x
By far the best argument I've seen of her character, yeesh. Good stuff.

You're completely right about everything, of course. And by far my favorite parts of Apocalypse were her interactions with Toki, which were hilarious. I just wish she'd own it more, but then again she is very young. And I thought she was fine but instantly outclassed when
Navarre
joins your party, who is just freaking awesome. But again, to be fair, I'd rather have the worst partner (Gaston) than anyone from IV.

I guess a lot of my... not really ire, but let's go with that, with her is that the beginning it feels so cheesy and sets up Apocalypse's WAY light hearted tone, which I think comes at the expense of SMT's morality stuff. But when Toki shows up, it's done better, so whatever.

Also I don't really like either of the lords from FE8 (or from 7, but that's a different story) so yeah :p

Dantis

TMS was weird. More than anything, it seemed like a bad business decision. I don't think they had a target audience in mind when they developed it.

I only did the first dungeon. Just found it kinda boring.

Mediking

Yupp yupp!

Thought it was a pretty woeful experience, the literal personification of "oh." I'm 100% okay with the fact that I'm still extraordinarily bitter about its initial trailer, but even besides that it's just full of things that infuriate me. I beat it last week too, glad it's over and done with. Was like 70+ hours of me not enjoying any of it.

It would be the worst SMT game I've played if I haven't played Devil Survivor and it would be the worst FE game I've played if I haven't played Shadow Dragon (which is hilarious considering TMS LOVES Shadow Dragon).

Code:
[IMG]https://66.media.tumblr.com/31cd050d664bab4cd226424f87135b8b/tumblr_nprml3WJcX1qj5jqso1_500.gif[/IMG]

I love TMS.

Not gonna get triggered.....

Don't do it, Mediking.... Don't........ Don't give in......

Let Cipher Peon have an opinion. Don't jump on it.

You've defended TMS a long time ago in this thread.

You're gonna explode aren'tcha, Mediking?

Talking in 3rd person is lame, Medi.

I'm cool, I'm cool.

Was hoping some of the new people in the Persona community would like TMS just like me but nope! Lmao

PK Gaming

By far the best argument I've seen of her character, yeesh. Good stuff.

You're completely right about everything, of course. And by far my favorite parts of Apocalypse were her interactions with Toki, which were hilarious. I just wish she'd own it more, but then again she is very young. And I thought she was fine but instantly outclassed when
Navarre
joins your party, who is just freaking awesome. But again, to be fair, I'd rather have the worst partner (Gaston) than anyone from IV.

I guess a lot of my... not really ire, but let's go with that, with her is that the beginning it feels so cheesy and sets up Apocalypse's WAY light hearted tone, which I think comes at the expense of SMT's morality stuff. But when Toki shows up, it's done better, so whatever.

Also I don't really like either of the lords from FE8 (or from 7, but that's a different story) so yeah :p

Nah man, Navarre doesn't really outclass her when his thing is doling out buffs. Her access to Media before you even get it is crazy useful, then she gets Mediarama around the midgame and you pretty much never have to worry about group healing again. Then in the lategame she
awakens and is able to heal like 800+ HP turn to your entire team, which is just... demonic.

Also Toki is bad, man. Like she's legit a bottom 5 megaten character. Hands down the worst part about Apocalypse. Just no good.

:x

Yupp yupp!

Goooood...

Also Toki is bad, man. Like she's legit a bottom 5 megaten character. Hands down the worst part about Apocalypse. Just no good.

Out of curiosity, who are the other 4?

Lynx_7

It would be the worst SMT game I've played if I haven't played Devil Survivor

First time I've seen somebody call Devil Survivor worst (or close enough) of the fanchise. It's a very well made game despite its worrying lack of battle music variety for a SRPG.

I don't even know what would be mine, I like all of them I've played. Except P1 psx, which I dropped after the first dungeon, so maybe that's the worst for me.

TMS was weird. More than anything, it seemed like a bad business decision. I don't think they had a target audience in mind when they developed it.

I only did the first dungeon. Just found it kinda boring.
I don't blame you. The game doesn't get any better at all and I only found things to passably enjoy when my expectations continuously cratered throughout the game. It's a kind of pretty SMT game on the big screen at the bare minimum and the Session mechanic is actually pretty neat (but requires a metric fuckton of grinding to have everyone participate at the same time). But even its visuals are compromised by overdesign, like someone threw up the GUI.

I had my girlfriend and best friend play it (separately) and both didn't enjoy it and both complained about its GUI. In all fairness, I was like 60 hours into the game so I just got used to it *shrugs*

Code:
[IMG]https://66.media.tumblr.com/31cd050d664bab4cd226424f87135b8b/tumblr_nprml3WJcX1qj5jqso1_500.gif[/IMG]

I love TMS.

Not gonna get triggered.....

Don't do it, Mediking.... Don't........ Don't give in......

Let Cipher Peon have an opinion. Don't jump on it.

You've defended TMS a long time ago in this thread.

You're gonna explode aren'tcha, Mediking?

Talking in 3rd person is lame, Medi.

I'm cool, I'm cool.

Was hoping some of the new people in the Persona community would like TMS just like me but nope! Lmao
Sorry, friend!

But I appreciate that you respect others for their differing opinions, that's always neat! And in my defense, I gave the entire game a shot. I beat it! I actually kind of enjoyed the final boss too. And even though I dislike the game, I am totally okay with your opinion as well c:

Nah man, Navarre doesn't really outclass her when his thing is doling out buffs. Her access to Media before you even get it is crazy useful, then she gets Mediarama around the midgame and you pretty much never have to worry about group healing again. Then in the lategame she
awakens and is able to heal like 800+ HP turn to your entire team, which is just... demonic.

Navarre matches my SMT playstyle perfectly. So much so that when he learns Doping, I like him less because he always starts out with it and I'm like NO I AM FINE FOR HEALTH JUST BUFF ME
And then he learns Debilitate and I'm like yessssssss

Granted, that playstyle gets more difficult as the game progresses because bosses like
Vishnu-Flynn
debuff you the second they smell a buff, but Navarre is my MAN. Doesn't hurt that his personality is kinda like mine in Apocalypse hehehe

In bosses I don't really ever hurt for healing. I try to annihilate them as quickly as possible. Turn 1 I already have the reflect spells up, a Luster Candy, and a +1 Severe Magic spell using with my practically Min/Max'd protag. If I ever lose it's because I got team wiped with a +1 crit Megidolan or something.

Also I like Toki! I think she's the best partner for random battles (her instant kills are a godsend especially in hordes) and I think her interactions with you and Asahi are cute. Also she definitely helps the "I have no idea how this group hasn't killed each other, let alone become best friends" thing Apocalypse goes for, which I LOVE. It's a very different flavor than Persona's friend group thing, and one which I would love to see emulated. Also the worst Megaten character is Barry from TMS. Hate his guts.

First time I've seen somebody call Devil Survivor worst (or close enough) of the fanchise. It's a very well made game despite its worrying lack of battle music variety for a SRPG.

I don't even know what would be mine, I like all of them I've played. Except P1 psx, which I dropped after the first dungeon, so maybe that's the worst for me.
I gave Devil Survivor two goes, one on the DS and one on 3DS and hated it both times I've played. If I were to rank the SMT games I've played

Persona 3 FES > Persona 4 Golden > SMT III: Nocturne > Persona 4 > SMT IV > Soul Hackers > SMT IV Apocalypse > Tokyo Mirage Sessions > Devil Survivor

I want to play Persona 2, but as a physical only gamer I have no idea what I want to do to play it.

PK Gaming

Navarre matches my SMT playstyle perfectly. So much so that when he learns Doping, I like him less because he always starts out with it and I'm like NO I AM FINE FOR HEALTH JUST BUFF ME
And then he learns Debilitate and I'm like yessssssss

Granted, that playstyle gets more difficult as the game progresses because bosses like Vishnu-Flynn debuff you the second they smell a buff, but Navarre is my MAN. Doesn't hurt that his personality is kinda like mine in Apocalypse hehehe

In bosses I don't really ever hurt for healing. I try to annihilate them as quickly as possible. Turn 1 I already have the reflect spells up, a Luster Candy, and a +1 Severe Magic spell using with my practically Min/Max'd protag. If I ever lose it's because I got team wiped with a +1 crit Megidolan or something.

Also I like Toki! I think she's the best partner for random battles (her instant kills are a godsend especially in hordes) and I think her interactions with you and Asahi are cute. Also she definitely helps the "I have no idea how this group hasn't killed each other, let alone become best friends" thing Apocalypse goes for, which I LOVE. It's a very different flavor than Persona's friend group thing, and one which I would love to see emulated. Also the worst Megaten character is Barry from TMS. Hate his guts.

Yeah I get that, but the damage you take from bosses is super high on War / Apocalypse, making full on stomps hard to pull off (which is where Asahi shines the most). Don't get me wrong, Navarre is easily in the running for best partner in turns of gameplay alone (and he's an amazing character to boot), I've just never felt compelled to use him.

And Toki was like every bad anime trope rolled into one. From the harem baiting, the cringeworthy yandere lines and other nonsense ("notice me master!"), she consistently managed drag down experience and is one of the main contributors to Apocalypse's "anime as fuck" tone. The other side of her character is legitimately great, since she's a snarky contrast to everyone's straightforward nature, but that side of her
is literally buried after that one quest
. She was definitely a beast in combat though.

Hm. I always knew....

What

I don't blame you. The game doesn't get any better at all and I only found things to passably enjoy when my expectations continuously cratered throughout the game. It's a kind of pretty SMT game on the big screen at the bare minimum and the Session mechanic is actually pretty neat (but requires a metric fuckton of grinding to have everyone participate at the same time). But even its visuals are compromised by overdesign, like someone threw up the GUI.

I actually felt like TMS balanced this really well. As you get newer party members, you should be at the point where older ones are getting the skill that lets the join in on sessions from reserves, so you can switch in the newer ones whilst the old members are still levelling. TMS is probably my favourite example of a game balancing a larger cast and still keeping everyone relevant thanks to the session system, even if they're not in the active party.

So what games is everyone getting in January? Just Yakuza Zero for me. I'll rent GR2 and moan about how bad it is though, obviously.

Kingdom Hearts, and maybe Gravity Rush

And Navarre > Asahi.

Strimei

So what games is everyone getting in January? Just Yakuza Zero for me. I'll rent GR2 and moan about how bad it is though, obviously.

As a gigantic Type-Moon fan in general, and Fate in particular, I'm day-one on Fate/Extella. I'm not expecting much of it admittedly but I need it all the same.

I may get Yakuza 0, I plan on getting it eventually but I need to play 4 and 5 first (or...maybe not I guess, since those are chronologically after 0).

Top Bottom