• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
9Aw44EU.jpg

PK Gaming

She may not be canon, but she's still a significant figure in the Persona franchise.

-She's prominently featured in the Persona 3 fanbook (fun fact, out of everyone in SEES, only Aigis prefers the male MC to the female MC.)
-She's usually seen in official artwork (EX: The 2009 and 2012 Persona Live Music show)

And this might be fake, but I read somewhere that part of the reason why Persona 3 never got an anime was because they couldn't decide on the MCs gender.

FluxWaveZ

They probably wanted to do a series a la P4.

They clearly must've reconciled the gender issue though, given that the films are happening.

Oh, so he was thinking an anime series. But yeah, there is absolutely no doubt that Makoto is meant to be male in the series canon considering Persona 4 Arena and Persona 3 The Movie.

Squire

Banned
Oh, so he was thinking an anime series. But yeah, there is absolutely no doubt that Makoto is meant to be male in the series canon considering Persona 4 Arena and Persona 3 The Movie.

True. Though I do also expect they went with an androgynous name as a nod to FeMC. They must know that character is loved.

Joqu

...I didn't know there was a Persona 3 fanbook.

I doubt they couldn't decide on the gender, with Makato being canon and all that. Him being the one most people have played as probably doesn't hurt either.

Squire

Banned
...I didn't know there was a Persona 3 fanbook.

I doubt they couldn't decide on the gender, with Makato being canon and all that. Him being the one most people have played as probably doesn't hurt either.

There's a fan book for everything with a following worth mentioning.

And I can see them struggling to choose, especially assuming this was years ago shortly after P3P when nothing was really pinned down to be canonical yet.

Dantis

There's a fan book for everything with a following worth mentioning.

And I can see them struggling to choose, especially assuming this was years ago shortly after P3P when nothing was really pinned down to be canonical yet.

P3P was non-canonical as soon as it was released. It came out a year after P4.

Daaantis why is that art so amazing? D:

Because I did pretty much nothing over the last few days except work on it? :p

And thank you. ;)

Dantis

To be honest, I kind of feel like canon is redundant anyway when it comes to Persona 3 and 4. They have such a small amount of relevance to each other that to a large I think you can just pick and choose what's canon and what's not. The only thing that shows that Makoto is canonical is a single conversation with a completely optional super boss that most players won't even see.

Taruranto

Why? I don't think there's any real contradiction in the world all of the games take place in.

Persona resonance.
Everyone and their mom had the ability to use a Persona in P1-2 when in P3-4 is portrayed as something super-special.
That thing with the drugs and the "Persona factor" in P3 doesn't make much sense when you can play a game and obtain a Persona in P1-2.

Also the Velvet Room being a thing that anyone can enter, even scrubs like Persona-less Makimura and Anna versus ONLY SPECIAL CHOSEN PEOPLE WITH CONTRACTS.
And the World being just like any other arcana versus being the super special plot device arcana.

Fool type's being super special and every other type being gimped and cant summon any other Persona? Not complaining, and I do like the whole series being connected, but there is some obvious contradictions.

CONTRADICTION CONTRADICTION

FluxWaveZ

Persona resonance.
Everyone and their mom had the ability to use a Persona in P1-2 when in P3-4 is portrayed as something super-special.
That thing with the drugs and the "Persona factor" in P3 doesn't make much sense when you can play a game and obtain a Persona in P1-2.

Persona resonance could be explained as the dichotomy between users who have obtained their Persona through the Persona game and those who have obtained them through other means (Persona 3 and 4). Plus, Rise, Mitsuru, Fuuka and Teddie can sense others who have Personas, to a limited degree.

Same for the second point: practically everyone in P1 and P2 who had a Persona played the Persona game at some point in their lives. It's a thematic difference, but not a contradictory one that those in P3 and P4 got them without playing the game.

The Strega drugs don't have much to do with that since those were used because they had their Persona forcibly awakened. The Tatsuya Scenario in Persona 2 also explores the fact that messed up stuff happens when one gets their Persona forcibly awakened.

Also the Velvet Room being a thing that anyone can enter, even scrubs like Persona-less Makimura and Anna versus ONLY SPECIAL CHOSEN PEOPLE WITH CONTRACTS.

That's really the only thing that I can see as something that doesn't make sense in P3 and P4, but the nature of what the Velvet Room is pretty much changed starting from P3.

Squire

Banned
Persona resonance could be explained as the dichotomy between users who have obtained their Persona through the Persona game and those who have obtained them through other means (Persona 3 and 4). Plus, Rise, Mitsuru, Fuuka and Teddie can sense others who have Personas, to a limited degree.

Same for the second point: practically everyone in P1 and P2 who had a Persona played the Persona game at some point in their lives. It's a thematic difference, but not a contradictory one that those in P3 and P4 got them without playing the game.

The Strega drugs don't have much to do with that since those were used because they had their Persona forcibly awakened. The Tatsuya Scenario in Persona 2 also explores the fact that messed up stuff happens when one gets their Persona forcibly awakened.

That's really the only thing that I can see as something that doesn't make sense in P3 and P4, but the nature of what the Velvet Room is pretty much changed starting from P3.

COHESION COHESION

Sophia

Persona resonance.

Was accounted for in P3/P4. The visual cues to the audience were different, but it's there. Remember, Persona resonance didn't trigger right away in P2 either.

Anyone can enter the Velvet Room. The entire P3 cast did so at the end of FES, remember? Also Igor says so in Persona 4.

Was accounted for in P3/P4. The visual cues to the audience were different, but it's there. Remember, Persona resonance didn't trigger right away in P2 either.

Anyone can enter the Velvet Room. The entire P3 cast did so at the end of FES, remember? Also Igor says so in Persona 4.

I forgot, wasn't that the reason for
Mitsuru's outfit in P4A? To counter Persona Resonance?

Sophia

I forgot, wasn't that the reason for
Mitsuru's outfit in P4A? To counter Persona Resonance?

I don't think so.
Her communicator I believe prevents her form usually being detected by resonance.
I'll look it up later, I know exactly the scene you're talking about, I just forgot which number it was.

But Persona resonance wasn't a hard and fast rule in P1/P2. There were many cases where resonance didn't kick in until someone was actually about to summon their Persona. You can see this right at the start of Innocent sin. Tatsuya and Lisa only get resonance once Eikichi actually decides to summon.

I don't think so.
Her communicator I believe prevents her form usually being detected by resonance.
I'll look it up later, I know exactly the scene you're talking about, I just forgot which number it was.

Memory is hazy, I am gonna need to play P4A again now for PS3, since I now finished P4G.

Meia

My only problem about the Velvet Room in the later ones is how it's such a big damn secret. Is there a reason it has to be? Never got that.

Did lead to the funny ghost story in p4 golden with the ski trip, but still. :p

Joqu

Doesn't Igor somewhat address the Velvet Room thing in P4?
I'm not sure what exactly I'm thinking of and if it was in Persona 3 too, but I remember him saying something about it.
...I might just be going crazy though.

FluxWaveZ

My only problem about the Velvet Room in the later ones is how it's such a big damn secret. Is there a reason it has to be? Never got that.

It's pretty dumb, but I guess it's to add to the certain mystique of those main characters. It also makes the Velvet Room more intimate and secretive in nature compared to the club that it was in 1 and 2.

At least all of the characters are aware of it at the end of Persona 3 and, if I remember correctly, all of the P4 characters at the end of P4A.

I'm not sure what exactly I'm thinking of and if it was in Persona 3 too, but I remember him saying something about it.

Igor says a whole lot about the Velvet Room in all of the games, so not sure what exactly you're talking about.

Oh, you might have been thinking of what Sophia stated below.

Sophia

He states that anyone can enter the Velvet Room as long as they have a strong enough ego near the end of Persona 4.
Specifically, he says it after Teddie enters the Velvet Room on the Good/True ending paths.

At least all of the characters are aware of it at the end of Persona 3 and, if I remember correctly, all of the P4 characters at the end of P4A.

P3 cast were all aware of it, as they visited it at the end of FES. P4 cast, with exception of Teddie, haven't.

FluxWaveZ

P3 cast were all aware of it, as they visited it at the end of FES. P4 cast, with exception of Teddie, haven't.

Are you certain
Yu doesn't talk about the Velvet Room or Elizabeth reveals that he was a guest in the Persona 4 Arena story mode?
I seem to recall that, but I guess I might be wrong.

Sophia

Are you certain
Yu doesn't talk about the Velvet Room or Elizabeth reveals that he was a guest in the Persona 4 Arena story mode?
I seem to recall that, but I guess I might be wrong.

There is a scene where Elizabeth and Yu talk about it in the latter's story mode. But the rest of the P4 cast wasn't there. The P4 cast saw Elizabeth in her story mode, but there's little mention of the Velvet Room to the P4 cast.

FluxWaveZ

There is a scene where Elizabeth and Yu talk about it in the latter's story mode. But the rest of the P4 cast wasn't there. The P4 cast saw Elizabeth in her story mode, but there's little mention of the Velvet Room to the rest of the P4 cast.

Ah, false memory then The nature of the modern games' Velvet Room makes it relevant particularly towards the main characters than the rest of the cast so I don't think the characters' ignorance towards its existence is too big of a deal, but I don't think it makes sense that it's something Yu would be going to frequently and not mention to his friends unless Igor would be all, "don't tell anyone about this place."

I dunno it's pretty much functionally meaningless to say "anyone can enter it" while keeping it, for all intents and purposes, completely exclusive to the main character. (It is even stupider to have the rest of the cast just shrug it off as "Oh yeah the main character is just standing there, staring at a wall" but that's something else entirely)

I mean I get that they just make stuff up as the go along so w/e it's not a big deal.

Sophia

I dunno it's pretty much functionally meaningless to say "anyone can enter it" while keeping it, for all intents and purposes, completely exclusive to the main character. (It is even stupider to have the rest of the cast just shrug it off as "Oh yeah the main character is just standing there, staring at a wall" but that's something else entirely)

Wasn't really much of a reason for the other cast members to enter it. The only ones who usually enter it in P1/P2 were the ones who were approached by Philemon and therefore had the Wild Card. (I.E. Your Party.)

Usually anyhow.

Did P4 ever address what they see when Yu goes into the Velvet Room?

Nope. He's all alone when it happens storywise.

Squire

Banned
Ah, false memory then The nature of the modern games' Velvet Room makes it relevant particularly towards the main characters than the rest of the cast so I don't think the characters' ignorance towards its existence is too big of a deal, but I don't think it makes sense that it's something Yu would be going to frequently and not mention to his friends unless Igor would be all, "don't tell anyone about this place."

Something something ludo-narrative dissonance something something.

PK Gaming

oh absolutely

as much as I love FeMC, Persona 3 and Persona 3:FES are definitely his story.

PS: I think I like Makoto Yuki more than Minato Arisato :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom