• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

Did P4 ever address what they see when Yu goes into the Velvet Room?

Maybe they don't notice because it happens so fast from their perspective.

Like five minutes in the Velvet room for Yu is like, 5 seconds in the real world staring at the wall?

I have no basis for this, it just seems like it'd make more sense for it to be that way instead of them just watching as he stares into empty space for 10 minutes as he fuses personas.

FluxWaveZ

I have no basis for this, it just seems like it'd make more sense for it to be that way instead of them just watching as he stares into empty space for 10 minutes as he fuses personas.

It would, but that's exactly what's implied happens in Persona 3. It does sound awkward for the team as their leader blankly stares into an empty space each time they enter the Tartarus lobby, waiting for him to snap out of it.

In the anime he fused some Persona in-battle, so he probably didn't go to the Velvet Room as often.

In-game I think the "distorted time" theory works as well as any. It may explain why people in the Velvet Room don't seem to age as well.

Meia

Too many "Yuk" names imo.

I would think that when a MC enters the Velvet Room, they could stay "inside" for a long time but only like a second passes in the real world, but Junpei in 3 does comment about you staring like a zombie. Makes all the times I spent in the room for dozens of minutes trying to get the perfectly skilled persona all the funnier, more since we know he doesn't tell them about the room at all.

I think the way the anime does it is probably the real actual way, and the "Velvet Room" thing is how the game handles it so it's more gamey, instead of something you just do in the midst of combat. Not like the anime deals with him being able to hold a limited number of personas or anything.

At least in P4's case (which I guess would be carried over to P3, now that I think about it), it's not as much a theory as it is the fiction's reality since, in Persona 4 Arena, Yu's freaking out as he's beckoned to the Velvet Room during a crucial moment and Margaret's all, "calm down, you know time doesn't matter in this place."

And I totally forgot about that, nice catch.

FluxWaveZ

In-game I think the "distorted time" theory works as well as any. It may explain why people in the Velvet Room don't seem to age as well.

At least in P4's case (which I guess would be carried over to P3, now that I think about it), it's not as much a theory as it is the fiction's reality since, in Persona 4 Arena, Yu's freaking out as he's beckoned to the Velvet Room during a crucial moment and Margaret's all, "calm down, you know time doesn't matter in this place."

Sophia

Yeah the Velvet Room is essentially outside the normal flow of time. That was established back in P3 after you summon your first persona and pass out. I think they mentioned something like that in P2 as well, not entirely sure.

Joqu

You know I really like these other Velvet Room inhabitants from Persona 2. I doubt it's ever going to happen but I'd like to see them return.

Squire

Banned
In the anime he fused some Persona in-battle, so he probably didn't go to the Velvet Room as often.

The anime isn't really worth mentioning in a discussion like this. He fuses mid-battle in that simply because it's another way they can cut corners to tell what is probably a 60 episode story in 26.

Yeah the Velvet Room is essentially outside the normal flow of time. That was established back in P3 after you summon your first persona and pass out. I think they mentioned something like that in P2 as well, not entirely sure.

I always just assumed it was, just having dealt with fantasy fiction before.

The anime isn't really worth mentioning in a discussion like this. He fuses mid-battle in that simply because it's another way they can cut corners to tell what is probably a 60 episode story in 26.

I suppose. I just thought it warrented a mention.

Also, if the first P3 movie is titled "Spring of Rebirth," what does everyone think that the second two will be called?

My money's on "Summer of Memories" and "
The
Fall of Sorrow."

FluxWaveZ

You know I really like these other Velvet Room inhabitants from Persona 2. I doubt it's ever going to happen but I'd like to see them return.

I don't care about the Demon Painter, but Nameless and Belladonna were pretty cool (and added context to the music in the Velvet Room).

Maybe it'll happen if the Velvet Room isn't designed to be as intimate as P3 and P4 in Persona 5.

I don't care about the Demon Painter, but Nameless and Belladonna were pretty cool (and added context to the music in the Velvet Room).

Maybe it'll happen if the Velvet Room isn't designed to be as intimate as P3 and P4 in Persona 5.

Demon Painter is a baller.

P2I-demonArtist.jpg

KAZUMAKANEKO.jpg

Anyway, Demon Painter, Belladonna, Nameless, and Igor are servants to Philemon. Once Igor took over, he put his own servants in there, Elizabeth, Theodore, Margaret, and for a short time,
Marie.

FluxWaveZ

Anyway, Demon Painter, Belladonna, Nameless, and Igor are servants to Philemon. Once Igor took over, he put his own servants in there, Elizabeth, Theodore, Margaret, and for a short time,
Marie.

But Philemon never even set foot in the Velvet Room, right? I always assumed it was Igor's joint.

I mean, Igor still serves Phil, just like he says
at the end of Persona 4

Meia

P4 Golden spoilers ahead.

Hrm....
Marie isn't a servant really, never really got that impression. Then again, the game didn't exactly do a good job justifying the inclusion anyway.

Moreover, I would say she was required due to skill cards, but when she leaves during January, Margaret takes that role over without nary a word about it. She was just kind of being looked after for reasons unexplained. If anything, this decision really hurt her character, as she should have had way more interactions with the world before February to begin with.

Then again, I guess it's never really explained where Igor gets his people from anyway, huh? Be nice if the only thing we got from 5 if it didn't continue arena's story(and was similar in structure to 3/4) is just an explanation of what the hell that place is to begin with.

FluxWaveZ

Then again, I guess it's never really explained where Igor gets his people from anyway, huh? Be nice if the only thing we got from 5 if it didn't continue arena's story(and was similar in structure to 3/4) is just an explanation of what the hell that place is to begin with.

Demon Painter was just some dude who liked painting and then found the door into the Velvet Room.

Isn't it just an extension of the collective unconsciousness or some other kind of gibberish? Whatever the case, I don't think I desire a concrete explanation for what that place is or what it represents. Some things benefit from being left to interpretation, and I think the Velvet Room is one of them.

That moment where you level Akihiko 10 levels and then you die. I am not kidding when I say that I almost threw my PSP against the wall.
I think that:
Lv.. 81 MC
Lv. 75 Yukari
Lv. 76 Junpei
and a shitty Lv. 66 Akihiko are enough >: |

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
That moment where you level Akihiko 10 levels and then you die. I am not kidding when I say that I almost threw my PSP against the wall.
I think that:
Lv.. 81 MC
Lv. 75 Yukari
Lv. 76 Junpei
and a shitty Lv. 66 Akihiko are enough >: |

Yeah, you'll be fine.

Finally took out the Reaper, honestly it was easy and it just took a long time. It only used Megidolaon the whole battle :S

I think I can take on Nyx now :D

Persona resonance? What is that? Can someone explain it to me?

Also, what's up with like the P3 MC dislike? I mean, it's neat that they added a FemMC in P3P, but it always felt out of place to me, like trying to replace the MC of a series after the fact. (Which it was).

Jintor

Oh, FemC is just genkier than sleepyhead Minato. She also hangs out more with the actual party members. It's more a reflection of the fact she was made after P4 so she retains a lot of what they learned.

I don't think people actively dislike Minato. He's just kinda... the quiet dude. If P4 didn't have an anime he'd be just as much of an unknown factor.

Sophia

Persona resonance? What is that? Can someone explain it to me?

Persona users can sense each other to some degree. This is referred to, unofficially, as Persona resonance. The degree of resonance varies from one user to another. Some users (Hanya, Fuuka, Rise, Mitsuru, Teddie, etc) have greater capabilities. Other users can hide their Persona fairly well (The villains of P4, for example), even from those who would normally sense it.

It often (but not always) comes with a visual cue for the audience. In Persona 2 it took the form of an inverted portrait. In Persona 3/4, it sometimes takes the form of a close up, like when you score a critical hit.

You see it a lot in Persona 2 and Persona 4 Arena, although it technically shows up in every installment to some degree or another.

Thanks for the explanation. I sort of figured that was the case as one anime trope is for "fighters" (Whether DBZ Ki, YYH Spirit Energy or Gundam Newtypes) to be able to sense one another. But I guess the presence of Scanners like Fuuka/Rise made me notice it less.

I was always interested in the fact that Mitsuru's was a combat-focused persona that still had radar capabilities

Mitsuru is perfection.

Sophia

Thanks for the explanation. I sort of figured that was the case as one anime trope is for "fighters" (Whether DBZ Ki, YYH Spirit Energy or Gundam Newtypes) to be able to sense one another. But I guess the presence of Scanners like Fuuka/Rise made me notice it less.

It's kinda like Gundam Newtypes more than anything, but there's one specific that makes it very different: It is the Personas themselves that are doing the resonating. The users are just understanding (or trying to understand) what their Persona is sensing.

In this sense, the Persona is simultaneously an extension of it's owner, yet it's own being with it's own feelings and such.

Sophia

How is it not official if that's what the characters described it as?

They don't explicitly refer to it as "Persona Resonance" and use a variety of different words to describe it, not just "resonating with each other." Likewise, I don't think it was named by any of the staffers (But I could be wrong, I've never read the Persona World Guidance book...)

Infact, a good deal of Google searches on the term lead back here. To this very thread, no less. So yeah....

FluxWaveZ

They don't explicitly refer to it as "Persona Resonance" and use a variety of different words to describe it, not just "resonating with each other." Likewise, I don't think it was named by any of the staffers (But I could be wrong, I've never read the Persona World Guidance book...)

Infact, a good deal of Google searches on the term lead back here. To this very thread, no less. So yeah....

You're right. Just finished Persona 2 and I thought I had seen the very terminology of "Persona resonance" but I can't find anything through a Google search. Guess the usage of "resonance" at one point must have stuck.

Dantis

I'm just jelly about your colouring. I don't have a good eye for anything but cel Shading, painterly stuff or just massive blocks of colour.

Only just saw this. I'm pretty much just working it out as I go. This is the sixth piece of fanart I've done now, so I feel like I'm getting the hang of it more.

I use the Pen tool for preeeeeetty much everything after the main sketch. I use it for the lines, the main blocks of colour and the shading, and then I use masks and the gradient tool for the gradients on top of everything.

I figured I'd put up some quick pictures of my work process. It's basically sketch, lineart, basic colours, basic shading, gradients and colour tweaking.

Kazzy

I was always interested in the fact that Mitsuru's was a combat-focused persona that still had radar capabilities

That was more a means to an end, and she even states that she is pretty bad at it. It's amazingly fortunate that they stumbled across Fuuka!

Meia

As iffy as I am about some of the golden additions, it's a portable version of persona 4. I said I'd buy it for a high price, and considering I bought a Vita for it, I did!

And yes, so worth it.

Trigger

Ugh, want to play this game so bad but I'm not buying a vita, and I don't know anyone that even owns one that I can borrow

The Vita is a Persona handheld my man. P1, P2, P3P, and Golden are all available for the thing.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

The Vita is a Persona handheld my man. P1, P2, P3P, and Golden are all available for the thing.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Only Persona game not on it now is Arena... man, I would soooooo want a portable Arena, even though the fact it hasn't happened by now means it ain't gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom