• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should just replace the One More System and return to the Press Turn System (what's it!?).

Or at least make the system less exploitable/broken, you can finish most battles using the mc with the first attack. Make the system more similar to Nocturne, give the other party members the ability to use other Personae.

I have been saying this for a while. They dont even have to call it press turn in game, they can still throw up that One More! silly thing even!

Dude, are you kidding me.

+Costumes: Being able to personalize each of the characters in battle is awesome, and the in dungeon conversations over them are really cute. It only adds to the replay value. It's pretty much the reason why I use Teddie in battle (Bishie human Teddie > regular Teddie)

+Two new social links. Marie (who's blargh overall, but her social link events are occasionally good when the other characters show up) and Adachi's (who's social links are great and add further depth to his characters)

+New personas and a scene beyond lvl 10S.link for the investigation team members. Sure, you might not find use for these abilities, and you get to use these abilities only in 2 dungeons, but these new skills end up making each of the characters "more fun" in the long run.

+Scene fast forward(why hello there, new game+)

+A dozen new Personas like Kaguya.

+/-Some new events that are hit or miss. Skiing trip was a fairly good event imo the game.

+The TV listing feature which adds a TON of new content (Music, concept art, quiz game, a minigame, etc)

+Rebalanced characters. Naoto is usable now(she was really awful in vanilla) and Chie actually has a couple of reasons to be used over Kanji now, and the characters who lost their weaknesses like Yosuke got them reversed (why on earth did Yosuke lose his electric weakness when Yukiko kept hers?!?)

+The bike plot that initially went nowhere is now a thing. Everything associated with bikes (new skills, okina city and the beach) are great additions.

+Night time events. You can use them for boosting S.links, but simply talking to your friends at night is a reward in itself.

+It's possible to hang out with your friends after you've maxed out social link, which shuts down the "max out S.link and never talk to them again" mentality.

+Several unmentioned tweaks to the game. According to buddha, there are a couple of these scattered throughout the game. The biggest one that comes to mind are the scenes that are changed if you have a girlfriend. (It's only a line or a blush, but it helps drive the point home that "X" is your girlfriend)

+Golden ending.

+P4G has more of "hanging out and being silly with your friends" which is my favorite aspect of Persona 4, hands down. So much fun.

+/-Difficulty
The game is easier overall, but you know have access to "very hard" difficulty, which is somewhat challenging if you don't grind.

As an aside, I've always seen Persona 4 as an "easy game" once you get going. It's difficulty was accentuated by some of its more archaic game design choices, but overall P4 is an easy game once you understand the mechanics. People harp on Rise for breaking the game, but it's pretty much impossible to lose once you get some of the ultimate Persona (which is around Rise becomes ridiculous). The changes to some of the bosss (looking at you Yukiko) make easier for new players to get their groove on.

P4G is the whole package. That golden RPG that's supposed to last you 200+ hours.

103227.gif

I know this isn't what the conversation was about, but this encapsulates my thoughts perfectly. P4G is one my favourite games of all time, and I'm kind of tired of people (in general; not just in this thread) crapping all over it.

I love all of you guys; but sometimes your statements about this game don't make sense to me.

Kazzy

I felt the Persona 3's fatigue mechanic worked perfectly except for the fact that you couldn't see how fatigued someone was. Just let me see the bar next time so I know how many fights I have left with a certain character.

I never much cared for it, which wasn't helped by the fact it quickly became a non-issue, making it seem arbitrary and unnecessarily limiting. In terms of controlling your progress, the barriers within Tartarus already did that, so I was always a little bemused at what purpose it ultimately served.

It's just one of those mild nuisances that I reminded of whenever I start a new playthrough.

Meia

Honestly, now that I've played P2:IS now(and am working through EP), the fusion skill system is as broken, or more broken, than 1 More ever was. If anything, I played through most of IS on auto-battle. Not much thought with the current system of 1 More, but still more than the originals.

Come to think of it, really need to play through Nocturne next(keep stopping halfway as a non-existent story always makes me reach for something else). Haven't had much experience with the Press Turn system.

Honestly, now that I've played P2:IS now(and am working through EP), the fusion skill system is as broken, or more broken, than 1 More ever was. If anything, I played through most of IS on auto-battle. Not much thought with the current system of 1 More, but still more than the originals.

Come to think of it, really need to play through Nocturne next(keep stopping halfway as a non-existent story always makes me reach for something else). Haven't had much experience with the Press Turn system.

oh I know how broken Fusion Skills are in P2 lol. I would like a rework and re add to P5 of them though.

Levito

Banned
I felt the Persona 3's fatigue mechanic worked perfectly except for the fact that you couldn't see how fatigued someone was. Just let me see the bar next time so I know how many fights I have left with a certain character.

The fatigue mechanic always felt kind of sloppy in it implementation, like one of those MMO systems that only allowed you to play your character for a certain amount of time before they needed rest. (Not that P3 does it quite like that)

Also folks, here's the questions post for Episode 6 with Dacidbro. If you could share it I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sophia

I have been saying this for a while. They dont even have to call it press turn in game, they can still throw up that One More! silly thing even!

Perhaps a variation of the system that if you hit the enemy's weakness/strength, it always goes to the next party member?

Basically Press turn, but with no limits on how many turns you can get, as long as your party as a whole can exploit weaknesses.

I never much cared for it, which wasn't helped by the fact it quickly became a non-issue, making it seem arbitrary and unnecessarily limiting. In terms of controlling your progress, the barriers within Tartarus already did that, so I was always a little bemused at what purpose it ultimately served.

It's just one of those mild nuisances that I reminded of whenever I start a new playthrough.

The fatigue mechanic always felt kind of sloppy in it implementation, link one of those MMO systems that only allowed you to play your character for a certain amount of time before they needed rest. (Not that P3 does it quite like that)

Yeah, it wasn't handled very well. There was too much information not given to the player, and it seemed to magically increase as the game went along. I liked the system itself tho, so I wouldn't mind seeing it return, but maybe it's because I grew up on older D&D RPGs where you had to eat and drink every so often.

Eh, I didn't care for the fatigue in the beginning because it's only so little before you hit the mark, but then as you get a full party it takes much more work to get fatigued. Then again, the problem I have with it is still there, just the fact of getting fatigued. If I want to keep fighting and I get tired, it becomes "goddammit let me find the next checkpoint and get out". And if it's your partner who gets tired it's only a matter of time before you and the rest of the party do. I like how they reworked it in Portable where you won't feel tired until after you leave the dungeon. Since I like the combat this is great for me.

Sophia

That's why I said they needed to show more information. You don't run into the issue of "If I want to keep fighting and I get tired, goddamnit" if you can plan it all out beforehand.

Venfayth

It's funny that in P3P your teammates will still whine about being tired even though they aren't actually tired yet, it's just an indication that they're going to be tired when you leave.

It's funny that in P3P your teammates will still whine about being tired even though they aren't actually tired yet, it's just an indication that they're going to be tired when you leave.

Yeah, and I'm fine with it being like that, since neither you or your teammates get tired in the middle of combat, the only thing holding you back is the occasional barricade. That way you and your teammates still get over being tired the same way they did if they got tired in Tartartus yet it doesn't slow down your pace. I prefer it by far to how the console versions have it set.

Venfayth

Yeah, and I'm fine with it being like that, since neither you or your teammates get tired in the middle of combat, the only thing holding you back is the occasional barricade. That way you and your teammates still get over being tired the same way they did if they got tired in Tartartus yet it doesn't slow down your pace. I prefer it by far to how the console versions have it set.

Yeah, I don't mind it, I just remember being confused that they said they were tired when they weren't actually yet :)

How about this in Persona 5. The game can be about entering a new world in your dreams. You fight monsters with your personas in this dream world. If a teammate is KO'ed, you cannot revive them. The KO'ed party member is awoken from the dream and cannot be used until the next night. If the MC is KO'ed, the game does not end unless it is an important event that must be handled that night. I think that could make combat more challenging, and force you to actually use other party members when your mains get knocked out of the dream world.

I'd also like to see them bring back personalities. Monsters and personas should have personalities that affect their combat.

TWILT

Banned
I'm glad the fatigue system was gone in 4 (and hope it stays gone in 5). It always felt painfully limiting for no reason.

FluxWaveZ

I'd also like to see them bring back personalities. Monsters and personas should have personalities that affect their combat.

If this means the return of the contact, then I am not for this.

I'm glad the fatigue system was gone in 4 (and hope it stays gone in 5). It always felt painfully limiting for no reason.

What I liked about the status system was how it added to the characters and narrative and not necessarily the gameplay. Having certain characters tired or feeling great after related events was a nice touch. Additionally, the fact that they weren't all always available when you wanted them was also a good thing that made it apparent that they had lives of their own and would not be able to always go with the leader at the drop of a hat.

Sophia

I'm okay with contacting returning as long as it's direct contact. No stupid tarot card system. Give me the Persona, give me the item, or get rid of it. :|

Soriku

How about this in Persona 5. The game can be about entering a new world in your dreams. You fight monsters with your personas in this dream world. If a teammate is KO'ed, you cannot revive them. The KO'ed party member is awoken from the dream and cannot be used until the next night. If the MC is KO'ed, the game does not end unless it is an important event that must be handled that night. I think that could make combat more challenging, and force you to actually use other party members when your mains get knocked out of the dream world.

They'd never do this. Something like that seems like it'd be a mechanic they'd try in an older game and ditch in a new one to make the game more accessible.

As for monsters, I kinda hope they ditch the generic enemies found in P3/P4 and replace them with the demons. Adding in demon negotiation could also be cool, and after negotiating they can become your Persona. I don't know if that would make sense in the context of the Persona world though. And they'd rather have you do shuffles or something to gain new Personas in a dungeon...

No I don't mean for collecting tarot cards. Your Persona's personality should affect it in combat. Perhaps one that is angry does more damage but has less defense innately. This would not be a simple change in starting stats. An angry persona at 99 attack would do more damage than the same non-angry persona at 99 attack. Same goes for monsters. The personality of your teammate's persona would reflect their current emotions.

Making a contract with a potential Persona would literally be coming to terms with yourself.

I would love that as long as they exploited the heck out of that pun.

FluxWaveZ

Making a contract with a potential Persona would literally be coming to terms with yourself.

I would love that as long as they exploited the heck out of that pun.

Not really, unless they all had the same personality. It would be more akin to a really short Social Link.

I don't know if that would make sense in the context of the Persona world though.

It wouldn't make sense, at least given what I like about P3 and P4, and that's why I'm opposed to it. The Shuffle system is silly and acquiring Personas could be improved, though.

Meia

Puns are the tool of the devil.

One of the things I LOVE about persona 2 has been the rare instances where you have a specific persona, and you run into a demon, and before the battle starts, they have a conversation based on their relationship. That was an awesome idea that I'd like to see return if they go back to demons. Hell, the shadows in persona 4 may as well have been demons honestly, with only the bosses being true shadows. It made sense for them to be shadows in 3, but the second you face character specific shadows in 4, it suddenly stops making sense, personally. Would make more sense if the shadows were tailor made and specific to each dungeon type(cop shadows in the stripclub could look more bouncers for example) so you could say they are also off-shoots of the trapped person's psyche(since that's what the dungeon themselves are).

Puns are the tool of the devil..

That's the name; don't wear it out.

Also for the record, I'd be fine with the series going back to having demons as the primary foes so long as Shadows are brought back as bosses. I loved what P2 and P4 did with Shadows and am intrigued to see where else the series can go with the concept.

FluxWaveZ

Don't you get it? Terms? Contract? Persona?

Maybe it sounded better in my head...

Oh, uh... sure?
I don't get it

On a tangentially related note, Vinny's remarks concerning Igor and the Velvet Room always rang true to me (Persona 4 spoilers). "Why? Who are you? Who do you work for?" What does Igor even do when he's "away"?

Perhaps having background knowledge that Igor is Philemon's servant is enough and the story shouldn't be burdened by details that actually don't matter, but I really liked it when Marie and Margaret would actually converse with each other and also when Velvet Room members refer to each other (usually Margaret to Elizabeth and vice-versa). I loved the little touch in the anime of the little interaction Igor ever has with Margaret when he looks sideways at her after she sings Elizabeth's song.

Even in P1 and P2, Velvet Room people never interacted with each other. I guess I'd maybe want them to have a more active role in the story or at least talk to each other, which makes me think of the Luteces in BioShock Infinite.

Meia

*Turns head towards The Answer*

Yes and no.

They was no compendium nor social links, but they made sure to shorten the amount of experience it takes to level a Persona, so it was close enough to leveling a party member(think a little less per level all told). They also changed around the idea of fusing enough that it wasn't hard to, if you followed a guide anyway, to have a good assortment with you at all times. They were also smart about mixing up enemy types so you rarely got into fights where every enemy shared the same weakness. Moreover, even enemies that had them often could Evade them.

The Evade thing was the only thing of what I listed that kind of bothered me, truthfully(amount of times you get SMT'd could be high in that game), but I think it was an example of a challenge done correctly, and in a slightly different way than 3 or 4 did. Heck, 3 also put another wrench in the plans by upping the compendium costs on Hard, something 4 I don't think did(at least Golden didn't).

Yeah, moving forward, I want more interaction with the Velvet Room. That the MC doesn't come clean in any game about it's existence or the inhabitants kind of always drove me crazy, moreso in 4 when
the rest of the cast can actually meet Margaret as part of the actual story, don't think that's something Naoto wouldn't pursue...

Venfayth

just cuz you have trouble with comprehension doesn't mean you should project it onto others

You mean mind reading? Because the only way people would ever interpret the things you were saying before you explained yourself as the things you explained would have been through mind reading. Don't be lazy, and you won't have to explain yourself further.

Kazzy

The Evade thing was the only thing of what I listed that kind of bothered me, truthfully(amount of times you get SMT'd could be high in that game), but I think it was an example of a challenge done correctly, and in a slightly different way than 3 or 4 did. Heck, 3 also put another wrench in the plans by upping the compendium costs on Hard, something 4 I don't think did(at least Golden didn't).

Yes, but that was a fairly significant thing too. Not only did all bosses high extremely high evasion rates, they also, on occasion, flat-out absorbed/negated their own weaknesses.

It wasn't difficult, but it certainly wasn't fun either.

How many parts do you folks suppose it'll have? I'm guessing three: Spring of Birth (April-July), Summer of Bonds (July-September), and The Fall of Sorrow (October-end).

Maybe October would be put at the climax of the second movie though, since nothing too important happens in the July-September span.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
We touched a bit about it on the podcast.

It's probably going to be 3 parts but so condensed that I'm not sure it really will be a faithful adaptation.

Sophia

It'll have two parts and then part three is Persona 4 Arena.

Persona 4 Arena is probably better suited to an OVA.

The real reason not to do The Answer is because it's poorly designed to be converted to a movie. Everything in it could be shifted to the main story anyhow, as the manga proved.

I bet there will be new events during those long stretches. The DeSu 2 animu follows the manga way more than the game, lets see how that goes here.

the p3 movie is like ten minutes long. it ends when the mc shoots himself in the head on top of the dorm. inexplicably, they still have the scene where he
fingers a robot

You mean mind reading? Because the only way people would ever interpret the things you were saying before you explained yourself as the things you explained would have been through mind reading. Don't be lazy, and you won't have to explain yourself further.

no i mean basic comprehension. again, just because you are personally really bad at it doesn't mean you should project onto others.

PK Gaming

the p3 movie is like ten minutes long. it ends when the mc shoots himself in the head on top of the dorm. inexplicably, they still have the scene where he
fingers a robot

no i mean basic comprehension. again, just because you are personally really bad at it doesn't mean you should project onto others.

We could do without the excessive vitriol, T.I.A.

Venfayth

Right, but you were saying things that were vague and unspecific. You mentioned earlier you had problems with specific scenes in the game, but you never said why you had problems with them. You kinda just assumed we all knew what you meant.

It's a bit silly to credit others not understanding you to a lack of reading comprehension when you've never actually fully explained yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom