• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
Heh. Nendos.

UKRLOhr.jpg

A real boss needs a Beach Queen.

johnsmith

remember me
Being someone knowledgable on the subject, who do you think generally makes the best stuff?

Every company has their hits and misses, so it's probably better if you judge based on individual figures. But Max Factory (my very favorite), Alter, Yamato (now called Arcadia) and Good Smile Company are top tier in my opinion. Phat Company, Megahouse, Orchid Seed and Kotobukiya also make lots of good figures.

Wave has the occasional good figure (like their Rise that's not a beach queen) but their Beach Queens aren't good at all.

I don't buy swimsuit figures, but a couple of examples of good ones

Queen's Blade - Alleyne - 1/6 - Swimsuit ver. (Orchid Seed)

Shining Wind - Clalaclan Philias - 1/7 - Bikini Ver. (Max Factory)
iwfF7A39pwnSV.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 - Kujikawa Rise - 1/8 - Swimsuit Ver. (Alter)

If you're interested in seeing what's out there, finding specific characters, and seeing tons of pictures, you should check out http://myfigurecollection.net/

johnsmith

remember me
Thanks, I will. I don't collect figures, but I used to casually read Tomopop.com pretty regularly.

That Rise I've always liked and that SW figure is nice, too. I like Tony Taka's art.

There's also the figure thread here which is pretty active. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220268
Be aware that buying figures is very addictive. Once you buy one, its hard to not buy tons more as you keep seeing awesome stuff you want.

So I played P3 FES for a few hours today. Your party gets tired way faster in it than P3P. I used to be able to fight for hours before they'd get tired. Will this change soon?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
eikichi and lisa are the two best persona characters certainly better than robot girls
tumblr_mmhvg7kAzZ1rjw2joo1_500.png

just thought i'd put that out there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I could ask the SMT thread, but this one's more active. I need some more badass looking demons from SMT/Persona. Nothing cute. Right now, I've got Cerberus, Matador, Baphomet, and Ose.

Mononoke

Banned
Alright, massive spoilers for Persona 4 (not sure if I can post this without spoiler tags, but Ill do so just in case).

BUT - I just finished the animation, and was totally confused by the final episode - because I didn't get that ending. Yep, I thought I had gotten the perfect ending. Guess not.

I got the ending where you actually go all the way to Spring, and you go on your skiing trip. And you find out who the real killer is. AND you get to say goodbye, and then the ending where they all run with the train as you leave. But then I find out there is an even better ending where you go back to the gas station and confront the attendant who is Izanami. WHAT THE HELL. How did I miss this?

This really makes me sad, because I feel like I missed one of the most important parts of the game. What did I do wrong to miss this part?

EDIT: Also, I really enjoyed the animation. I can see the criticisms about it, and it's definitely flawed. But I also like what they did with some of the side plots (like the dating episode with Ai). Also, it was nice to just see the plot play out in a more fluid motion, vs. the game (which is separated by grinding levels and social links). So all in all, yeah it's not the best thing ever. Especially lacking because they couldn't commit to a romance (and in the game you can choose that). It was still totally worth watching though IMO.

Lemstar

This really makes me sad, because I feel like I missed one of the most important parts of the game. What did I do wrong to miss this part?
After you're done saying bye to everyone on the last day, assemble at the food court to start the chain of events.

Dantis

I don't know about that.

il9QiJVZzcKWJ.gif

YES.

This is perfect. As far as an opening music and video combo goes, this wins for me.

A huge reason why Golden's opening is a travesty. I love that opening, but P2's is still better for me. Those handful of seconds tell you lots about each character.

Yup. Golden's is vile for a lot of reasons, the main one being its complete irrelevance.

As good as Pursuing My True Self is, it doesn't hold a candle.

I only wish this specific arrangement of P2's theme had been used somewhere. It's too awesome to be a bonus version.

WRONG. Konishi's Knights arrangement isn't close to Pursuing My True Self.

The golden opening is perfect. It enboidies everything I love about P4. Goofy fun.

This is exactly my problem.

Fuck it. I'm gonna have to buy the other Personae next week. Reminiscing about 4, it's just too accomplished...and plenty of people think it's dumbed down, so that can only mean good tidings for past games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fuck it. I'm gonna have to buy the other Personae next week. Reminiscing about 4, it's just too accomplished...and plenty of people think it's dumbed down, so that can only mean good tidings for past games.

Ehh... People on Gaf think cars are a dumbed down version of horse and carriage.

Dantis

4 isn't at all dumbed down. They just removed a lot of redundant systems.

You're aware that 1 and 2 are drastically different, right? 3 is very similar to 4 though.

Your problem, Dantis, is that you're fundamentally opposed to fun.

If that fun includes badly animated and thoroughly out of place dancing in Persona games, then absolutely.

Kazzy

The way they draw Kanji in P4's anime cutscenes almost makes him look like the Konishi kid

That weird moment, when you realize just how tall Kanji actually is!

You're in for an unpleasant surprise.

I can never wholeheartedly recommend the older games. They are definitely interesting, but I'd be naive to think that they aren't a list of warnings to go along with that.

So yeah, I'd recommend looking into what those games actually are, and whether or not you'd be able to tolerate how they play. Because no matter how far you think your fandom runs, these games can really put paid to that.

Mari in the second Evangelion movie is better than her JP counterpart too.

If ever there was faint praise...

Meia

I know they're a lot closer to PS1 era RPGs in form.

It's more than that.

You know they're very different from the newer Personas. 1 has a story that kind of goes nowhere except at the end, characters that go nowhere except at the end, and a very very meh combat system(that I only got through because I exploited how powerful Nuclear was). It's amazing though in that I can say it was worth playing just because of those last 5 hours. Then again it's only a 20 hour game anyway.

2:IS was great. Right from the get-go, the characters are wonderful, and the story itself doesn't have any lows. It's also short at about the 30 hour mark. Just keep in mind Fusion Spells are that game's claim to fame, and as long as you know what the strongest ones are and have personas to enable their use, you'll be fine(good weapon on Eikichi + persona capable of Tackle on him + another one with Zio = Dashing Strike, doing upwards of 2-3k per turn on bosses).

2:ES picks up right where IS leaves off, but the interface in comparison is terrible. 2:IS on the PSP does a lot of smart, simple things that you're really going to miss the second you start up ES. People keep saying there are ways to make sure your party uses the exact same turn order, but I can't see a way to do it that lasts more than one round in combat. This slows down battles dramatically, and just requires annoying babysitting that didn't exist in the PSP version of IS. Still very early on it, so I'll wait and see how it goes.

Ultimately though, I've missed playing old school RPGs, so this is scratching an itch that's been annoying me for a bit, so I'm happy playing them. 1 is really the black sheep here, but it's also the oldest game, so it figures.

Dantis

I thought that was Doi? Didn't he do the P2 PSP art?
Edit: I see now, Doi did illustration "finishing". Whatever that means.

In Innocent Sin, it was all Soejima. I guess he was busy with Golden when they did Eternal Punishment, because they got Doi to do it.

That picture I posted is from Innocent Sin.

A few of the differences between Doi and Soejima: Soejima uses simpler shading, his female characters are less curvy, his poses are less dynamic, his faces are rounder and he draws his eyes differently. Doi also puts loads of crease lines in his linework, whereas Soejima generally keeps them to a minimum.

The biggest travesty is that Golden doesn't play the original opening, unlike the rest of the ports/remakes. They apparently assumed because you could watch it from the menu you'd never want it as the actual opening again...
Seriously, I went into the menu one day after starting Golden and I watched the original intro, I thought "wtf why was this not what they used it's so much better"
I prefer Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex's dub too.
Yeah S.A.C. has an amazing dub to it. Also it's one of the few shows I could marathon over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom