• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

I have the official dock or whatever for the Vita, and it has an audio out thing in the back you can plug headphones or a 3.5mm cord into. When I played Golden, it was in that the entire time and had my computer speakers pumping out the audio(since I game on computer monitors, even with consoles, it was no different). Even better was realizing that the audio comes from the bottom connection, not the headphone jack, which actually improved the sound quality for some ungodly reason.

At the very least, playing P2:IS wasn't bad since I could output it to my hdmi monitor(have a device that converts component to hdmi), so I used my PSP as a game controller. No real reason you can't have that same thing on the Vita. Hell, for golden since it doesn't use any of the touch screen crap, I'd like the PSP GO option of a cradle with hdmi out, and playing it with a ps3 controller.

Never really cared for handhelds, which is why I'm deathly afraid of P5 not being available on a console.

Agreed. My problem was playing Golden for such long stretches over a short time period I seriously hurt my arm. :p

Dantis

I had a realisation earlier when I was talking to my brother.

Persona 5 cannot be directly linked to the end of Arena.

(Arena spoilers)
Arena ends with everyone heading off to solve this new case. P4G's epilogue takes place late in the same year. We can assume the second case is over with based on the events of the epilogue (Not to mention the lack of urgency).

Persona games last a year. It would cut into the epilogue.

It's that simple. I couldn't believe I'd never seen it before.

I'm not saying that Arena's story won't be continued, but I think it's safe to say if will just be Arena-2.
This.

The point with re-releases like this isn't to make a "massive improvement", but to refine a product that was already considered good or great.

Interestingly, I realised a while back that this has happened with nearly all of Hashino's games. Maken X became Maken Shao, Nocturne became Nocturne Maniax, Persona 3 became Persona 3 FES, Persona 4 became Persona 4 Golden.

We're just missing an enhanced port of DDS and Catherine, and I still think a Catherine port is on the cards for the Vita.

Sophia

I'd probably be pissed if Persona 5 was on the 3DS thanks to it's design, but I have little issues with playing the Vita. However I know enough to take breaks here and there.

(Arena spoilers)
Arena ends with everyone heading off to solve this new case. P4G's epilogue takes place late in the same year. We can assume the second case is over with based on the events of the epilogue (Not to mention the lack of urgency).

You're making an assumption that is nowhere stated nor implied at all in an attempt to justify your logic. Nothing says the case is over, and nothing says there wasn't a break for this meetup anyhow. Besides, Persona 5 can always be set after it.

FluxWaveZ

(Arena spoilers)

It's that simple. I couldn't believe I'd never seen it before.

I'm not saying that Arena's story won't be continued, but I think it's safe to say if will just be Arena-2.

There's absolutely no indication that the events of P4A have been resolved during
the epilogue of Persona 4 Golden

Dantis

There's absolutely no indication that the events of P4A have been resolved during
the epilogue of Persona 4 Golden

There is an indication that the Investigation Team is not working on it though.

You're making an assumption that is nowhere stated nor implied at all in an attempt to justify your logic. Nothing says the case is over, and nothing says there wasn't a break for this meetup anyhow. Besides, Persona 5 can always be set after it.

Doesn't work. If P5 is set accurate, that means everyone sits on their hands for months doing nothing.

Meia

Yeah, after Arena, things still have to go as they were. Yu comes back to visit for Golden Week, it ends, he goes back,
comes back in August I think it is for the Epilogue, with everyone changing their looks slightly.
(Golden spoils thar)

Realistically, they're still not adults yet, so they can't exactly go off on their own on their own power yet. Hell, middle of a murder mystery, they still had to study for exams. :p

Of any of them, Naoto's probably the only one able to investigate anything on her own. Yu may as well simply because he's not stuck in Inaba.

Squire

Banned
Interestingly, I realised a while back that this has happened with nearly all of Hashino's games. Maken X became Maken Shao, Nocturne became Nocturne Maniax, Persona 3 became Persona 3 FES, Persona 4 became Persona 4 Golden.

We're just missing an enhanced port of DDS and Catherine, and I still think a Catherine port is on the cards for the Vita.

Ooh, you're probably right. Good. I still haven't played Catherine.

And none of the Persona games have debited on handhelds, only re-released, so I don't see any reason to think P5 would start on a handheld exclusively.

Persona is a cash-cow. SMTIV is on 3DS because that series is not.

Sophia

There is an indication that the Investigation Team is not working on it though.

There is no such indication. Logic does not work that way. Stop trying to twist the story to fit your own viewpoint and instead look for what's actually there.

Doesn't work. If P5 is set accurate, that means everyone sits on their hands for months doing nothing.

Remember, their opponent may be Nyarlathotep. It is entirely possible that Yu and Mitsuru did find something, but so far haven't found enough to go on. The new epilogue doesn't specify when it occurs either, so at best it could have been two months in a series that has a reputation for timeskips of years.

Dantis

And none of the Persona games have debited on handhelds, only re-released, so I don't see any reason to think P5 would start on a handheld exclusively.

Persona is a cash-cow. SMTIV is on 3DS because that series is not.

Correct assumption.

Also you're a bad person for not having played Catherine.

Which is?

The entire event. That scene isn't going to be in P5 because it would make no sense.

Think about what happens: Arena ends with "There's still all of Golden Week left!"

In the Golden epilogue they say "We couldn't do much during Golden Week because of all that craziness!". Unless they lose six days we can assume the story resolves immediately afterwards.

Not to mention the way the epilogue is presented.

For once, this is completely on the level. The epilogue isn't going to be in Persona 5. Unless the cliffhanger is resolved AFTER the epilogue (Very unlikely) then it can't be in P5.

Sophia

Dantis, I'm going to be honest with you: You can't possibly be that fucking stupid. That's circular reasoning reasoning at it's finest.

The entire event. That scene isn't going to be in P5 because it would make no sense.

Think about what happens: Arena ends with "There's still all of Golden Week left!"

In the Golden epilogue they say "We couldn't do much during Golden Week because of all that craziness!". Unless they lose six days we can assume the story resolves immediately afterwards.

All this proves is that they didn't accomplish much. There is zero indication that Yosuke is saying "We resolved the case!"

FluxWaveZ

For once, this is completely on the level. The epilogue isn't going to be in Persona 5. Unless the cliffhanger is resolved AFTER the epilogue (Very unlikely) then it can't be in P5.

I'm not sure how this explains the relationship between the epilogue and Persona 4 Arena's ending or I'm really confused by what you're trying to point out.

Sophia

I don't think you know what Circular Reasoning is.

Yeah I thought of the wrong logical fallacy. What I mean was it's a Non sequitur. Blame Deus Ex for that. :p

Regardless, you're still making a leap in logic that doesn't exist.

I'm not sure how this explains the relationship between the epilogue and Persona 4 Arena's ending or I'm really confused by what you're trying to point out.

He's just making a bunch of foolish assumptions that are stated nowhere. If I recall correctly, they don't even state when Persona 4 Golden's prologue takes place.

Not to mention, and I'm getting an extreme sense of Deja Vu so I have a feeling I've said this before, you don't start a story plotline and then handle it offscreen.

PK Gaming

not going to comment on the discussion at hand but

Dantis said:

Yeah, but that went without saying!!! I'm pretty sure if they directly linked P4A to P5 they'd be breaking several laws across several countries. Hashino and the rest of the boys & girls at atlus aren't that stupid.

Meia

Correct assumption.

Also you're a bad person for not having played Catherine.

If they were college students, hell, if they were a legal age(like EP's cast), this would have more of a point. They found out who the root of the evil was, found out where it was, and defeated said evil in 5 days, or P3's cast who's out of school and free to do whatever, with the finances of the Kirijo group behind them, are doing the legwork until such time that the IT can actually contribute to it. Which is the most likely thing here?

The throw-away line in the Epilogue is just to let us know that they're not discounting the events of Arena(meaning that yes it's likely very canon), that they don't further elaborate just means that they wanted to keep the games separate probably for those that didn't want to get the full story over multiple games. They're going to have enough of a problem if they continue things in a Persona 4-2 just with figuring out how to explain the events of Arena(I'm all for a Golden Fes release next year that has an Answer-like segment with those events :D ).

probably the reason golden didn't say much about arena's plot cliff hanger is because golden came out like a month before arena (SORRY EU/NA FOLKS)

there's a first time for everything. p5 will be on the vita because people want to take their waifus with them on the go.

Sophia

Yeah, but that went without saying!!! I'm pretty sure if they directly linked P4A to P5 they'd be breaking several laws across several countries. Hashino and the rest of the boys & girls at atlus aren't that stupid.

Breaking severl laws? What the hell are you talking about?

The throw-away line in the Epilogue is just to let us know that they're not discounting the events of Arena(meaning that yes it's likely very canon), that they don't further elaborate just means that they wanted to keep the games separate probably for those that didn't want to get the full story over multiple games. They're going to have enough of a problem if they continue things in a Persona 4-2 just with figuring out how to explain the events of Arena(I'm all for a Golden Fes release next year that has an Answer-like segment with those events :D ).

Let's not jump to conclusions and start saying things like "If they continue it in Persona 4-2" when such a game has neither been hinted at nor announced. :p

It's bad enough holding a discussion when Dantis is making absurd leaps in logic, we don't need other people taking crazy ideas from their heads too.

probably the reason golden didn't say much about arena's plot cliff hanger is because golden came out like a month before arena (SORRY EU/NA FOLKS)

The voice of reason, folks.

cj_iwakura

That Lisa picture is weird looking.

Soejima Lisa is best Lisa. Shame that Doi never drew her.

It's a nice picture, but the Kaneko sketches of her capture her melancholy vibe as well.

tsumi-group-1.jpg

ALSO
fwiw i think dantis is partially correct in that p5 will not follow the dumb plot hooks from arena, but it's less because of golden showerchat and more because the plot hook is dumb and i have no desire to revisit p3ville.

ALSO
fwiw i think dantis is partially correct in that p5 will not follow the dumb plot hooks from arena, but it's less because of golden showerchat and more because the plot hook is dumb and i have no desire to revisit p3ville.

Frit-Kun, I don't think this series will ever be something you will want to revisit past EP

Isn't it more P2 ville?

i am under the impression that p4a ends with
folks heading back to the persona 3 town to get to the bottom of things?

Hopefully P5 will cut out all the boring gameplay and just stick to s links, which is what it's always been good at.

don't you think the series would be better served on a portable platform? it'll be much easier to take miyuki-chan out to dinner that way.

Sophia

Isn't it more P2 ville?

Guess it depends entirely on the writers. Although I would love a glorious return to the style of Persona 2 with the combat system of Nocturne and the polish of Persona 4.

Turnip at least gets kudos for being upfront and honest. Unlike Dantis.

i am under the impression that p4a ends with
folks heading back to the persona 3 town to get to the bottom of things?

That was just the investigation team, and possibly just Yu/Yosuke. They didn't really clarify what exactly they were gonna do there either outside of "investigate." We have no idea what the P3 cast are up to, but seeing as their story ends with Nyarlathotep potentially coming back....

Meia

That's not what Meia was talking about tho. That was just wishful on his(?) part.

Very wishful thinking. :(

It's going to be continued in some capacity is more my thought though. Just doubt it's going to be Persona 5, so had to call it something.

More wondering if it was an actual 4-2, what format would it be? College setting with some new people and old cast mates that you then can have links with again? Maybe that can be a Slink change moving forward, like with(GOLDEN spoiler)
Adachi's link changing. Have them go through the stages of the Arcana like how Edogawa talks about in 3.
Wouldn't mind it more like a traditional RPG though, kind of like the early Personas, and have persona 5 be more like the newer ones.

Not sure how realistic an Arena 2 is at this point.

Still can't wait for it to be revealed all along that Edogawa was the big bad. That guy just bugs me... >>

Dantis

There's really not much to it, and it really isn't a leap in logic:

Persona Arena takes place in May.

The P4G epilogue takes place sometime later in the year. Let's call it August.

Persona 5 will almost definitely take place over a span of a year, just like P3 and P4. Therefore, the only way that it can feature the P4 team (Who are invested in the Arena plot) in a significant capacity is to be set after P4G.

But at the end of Arena, we're still missing six days for the other end of Golden Week. Apparently these days were spent on... something. Six days is enough to wrap up their plot, re-reveal Nyarlathotep as the antagonist and be ready for home at the end of Golden Week.

Boomaloom.

Sophia

Not sure how realistic an Arena 2 is at this point.

I fully expect it after awhile. The problem is that both developers are busy right now. Atlus with Persona 5 or whatever, and ArcSys with Blazblue.

Persona 5 will almost definitely take place over a span of a year, just like P3 and P4. Therefore, the only way that it can feature the P4 team (Who are invested in the Arena plot) in a significant capacity is to be set after P4G.

But at the end of Arena, we're still missing six days for the other end of Golden Week. Apparently these days were spent on... something. Six days is enough to wrap up their plot, re-reveal Nyarlathotep as the antagonist and be ready for home at the end of Golden Week.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the lack of evidence implies they just had a normal Golden Week from then on? Instead of you know assuming that SIX REAL LIFE YEARS worth of plot twists were wrapped up in six days. That we, the viewer, didn't see?

Again Dantis. C'mon. You can't possibly be this stupid. No good writer would write that way and you know it.

Squire

Banned
there's a first time for everything. p5 will be on the vita because people want to take their waifus with them on the go.

There's also a reason for everything. Everybody loves Golden, but there's no reason to start on a handheld when the team spent their time getting acquainted to HD hardware and the precedent has already been set that these games will be re-released later.

I especially loved them in Persona 2.

I honestly think S Links are getting old. Let P4 be the last time.

I don't S. Links are aged at all having only been in two games and barely iterated on, but it doesn't matter what either of us thinks. They'll be in because $$$.

cj_iwakura

Boomaloom.

I hope they all take on P4A's big bad at some point, just so
we can see Nyarlathotep show the P4 cast what a real god is capable of.

FluxWaveZ

Boomaloom.

Not only is it an assumption to state what P5's narrative structure is likely to be like, but this is where your argument makes no sense. I don't really have a rebuttal because there's nothing substantial to refute; it's all baseless assumption/hope that isn't conveyed or explained anywhere.

There's also a reason for everything. Everybody loves Golden, but there's no reason to start on a handheld when the team spent their time getting acquainted to HD hardware and the precedent has already been set that these games will be re-released later.

actually dramatically lower development costs is a huge reason to go handheld

Meia

Boomaloom.

But we're not. I just got the impression that they just did whatever for the rest of the Golden week, handling it like Yu's welcome back like was originally planned, with the idea of actually investigating when their lives allow. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if Labrys herself would act as the go between for the SO and the IT to relay information back so they're still in the loop. They're mostly all in their senior year now, so they only need another 10 months before they're on their own anyway.

Dantis

They made a console game for practice and built an engine afterward. We're far past the point where being frugal is a concern.

I've mentioned it before, but I'm pretty sure Hashino actually said Catherine was so the team didn't burn out on Persona.

Have you ever considered the possibility that the lack of evidence implies they just had a normal Golden Week from then on? Instead of you know assuming that SIX REAL LIFE YEARS worth of plot twists were wrapped up in six days. That we, the viewer, didn't see?

Again Dantis. C'mon. You can't possibly be this stupid. No good writer would write that way and you know it.

We would see it. In Arena 2.

I hope they all take on P4A's big bad at some point, just so
we can see Nyarlathotep show the P4 cast what a real god is capable of.

I want it to be like P2, and I think that's definitely possible.

The way they handled it there was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom