• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisa is better than Chie. :D

*hides*

tumblr_mbt16z7nCq1qfo485o1_500.jpg

Meia

Yeah, I can probably see them getting along in some capacity.

Playing 2:IS really made me want more about Lisa's story though. Guess that was one benefit the Slink system added at least. Her temple moment some deep stuff gets dropped, and then nothing's really mentioned about it again. I mean, yeah I understand why all things considered, but still.

Lunar15

Man, I was just thinking about what a missed opportunity SMTxFE is. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm interested in that game, but I just think the mechanics of FE fit Persona a lot more. Bear with me while I nerd out for a second. I think FE's mechanics would fit a Persona: Shadow Operatives game quite well. This would be assuming that the crossover would mean it's just using FE style gameplay, and not actual FE characters. Here's some reasons why it'd be neat.

• Basing it on Shadow Operatives lets you have a large cast of relatively new characters, rather than just making it all existing persona "celebrities".
  • The Support system is perfect for a relationship based game like Persona.
  • The ability to "force" a dark hour that was introduced in P4A means that you could have battle grounds set in modern day japan, without it being weird that people would be fighting out in the daylight. Maps could be malls, city streets, school buildings, all within the context that they're fighting shadows in the dark hour.
  • You could even add a persona style twist where "lord" characters are wild cards with the ability to fuse and use new personae.

Ah, but it's just wishful fanboy thinking. Oh well, here's hoping whatever SMTxFE turns out to be is just as fun.

Isn't the Persona series still under the blanket Shin Megami Tensei series? Unless they've confirmed that no Persona characters will be appearing and I've missed it, I think that there's still a chance; even if they weren't in the trailer.

Sophia

The labeling has always been just marketng purposes in the US. In Japan they're all MegaTen games. Just not Shin Megami Tensei games.

I have a feeling that SMTxFE means more "demons from the main series" and not "characters from spinoffs."

Tamanon

Banned
SMT x FE will only be demons or maybe characters from the DS games. No reason to have Persona characters, because they use a completely different concept than the SMT games.

Venfayth

So now that I know there are waifu's in P2, I've decided to pick up IS on my Vita. Will report with results after I've determined which waifu is best.

Sophia

I think it's enjoyable enough. Marie is a bad character, but she's harmless. I wasn't offended.

The problem isn't that Marie's a bad character. Her actual story in the new content is pretty good. The problem is that her social link isn't integrated to the story that well at all. That, and a whole lot of nothing happens during it. :p

"-kun" implies a level of friendliness that we do not share.

I think he was using it condescendingly....

cjkeats

I liked Marie's S.Link for the most part. Nothing I;d write home about, but it wasn't offensive or anything.

I havent done the dungeon stuff yet, so we;ll see where it goes from there.
I also like her outfit. It's cute.

Meia

Marie herself isn't integrated into the narrative at all, which is her biggest problem. Her social link being as harmless as it is wouldn't have been as damning if the game actually made you care about her. It never really tried to.

More disappointing considering the first time you meet her and you think she may just show up for scenes during the story. Nope. :\

Not offensive, just another missed opportunity.

Squire

Banned
The problem isn't that Marie's a bad character. Her actual story in the new content is pretty good. The problem is that her social link isn't integrated to the story that well at all. That, and a whole lot of nothing happens during it. :p

I could agree with that, I suppose.

Her outfit is great though, like Keats says.

It's stylized like the others, but it has a sort of baroque/beatnick vibe to it that's great. The group sticks out, but she sticks out even more. She doesn't belong anywhere and her clothes communicate that.
Maybe the poor integration is a commentary? :p

Sophia

No. Please refer to me as Dr. Fritters.

Frit-sensei. :D

It's stylized like the others, but it has a sort of baroque/beatnick vibe to it that's great. The group sticks out, but she sticks out even more. She doesn't belong anywhere and her clothes communicate that.

I don't think her outfit is any indication of her poor integration. Honestly I don't think she should have been a social link at all. Just add her to the story directly.

Dantis

Pretty sure her outfit is meant to stand out because it's to show that she's from another world. An alternate style of dress for a person from an alternative plane of existence.
The messenger bag and cap are obviously because she's a messenger and her striped socks both link her to the TV world and the theme of P4G (Looping, because you're meant to replay it. Or something).

I don't think her outfit is any indication of her poor integration. Honestly I don't think she should have been a social link at all. Just add her to the story directly.

I've always said that they should have made her a playable character, and put her dungeon earlier in the game. She wouldn't have broken up the flow of the ending and she would have had much more time to develop.

Squire

Banned
Pretty sure her outfit is meant to stand out because it's to show that she's from another world. An alternate style of dress for a person from an alternative plane of existence.
The messenger bag and cap are obviously because she's a messenger and her striped socks both link her to the TV world and the theme of P4G (Looping, because you're meant to replay it. Or something).

Well done.

Venfayth

Damn, and I just thought she spent some time at Pizzaroll's fashion dynasty.

cjkeats

I've always said that they should have made her a playable character, and put her dungeon earlier in the game. She wouldn't have broken up the flow of the ending and she would have had much more time to develop.
I agree with all these points.

Damn, and I just thought she spent some time at Pizzaroll's fashion dynasty.
I think I'm gonna pick that up today. Why not. I've heard enough praise.
Isn't that game supposed to be, like, totally legit?

That's what I hear.

Sophia

Yeah, that would have improved the flow significantly, and honestly, Persona 4 is in need of another party member as evident by their piling of all four elements on Naoto endgame.

Meia

Yep, but they probably felt figuring out where in the calendar year to place it could have been difficult. Best bet would have been to bump
Mitsuo's dungeon back a month since there's a 2 month gap and put it after Rise's.
Don't even have to re-write anything during September's event that way.

Sophia

Still not sure what kind of gameplay balance they were going for in Golden. All the new stuff is out of whack and they didn't fix other issues.

Dantis

The more i read this thread, the less i think P4G is a massive improvement over the original.

It depends what you're looking for. I didn't enjoy playing it on a handheld nearly as much as I did on my TV, and I felt that a lot of the new content broke the pacing completely (The epilogue kind of ruins the original ending if it's the first time you've played through) whilst adding very little substance (New January content and epilogue aside, as least). On the other hand, the new content contains fan service of every kind, so there's a good chance you'd find something that you'd like.

I can't consider it a 'massive' improvement over the original, myself.

Dantis

It is to Persona 4 what FES is to Persona 3. And all the little improvements still make it the best version of the game. There's no reason to play vanilla P4 if you have access to P4G.

Minus the 30 hours of new content.

;)

Wasn't there no
Aeon
Slink in the original version of 3 though? Thought I heard that somewhere. While I bought original 3, stopped just as I got Aigis, and then Fes came out so I went to that instead.

That is correct. There are some other tweaks to the main game too.

Meia

Wasn't there no
Aeon
Slink in the original version of 3 though? Thought I heard that somewhere. While I bought original 3, stopped just as I got Aigis, and then Fes came out so I went to that instead.

Though I'm still tempted to fire up a PS2 emulator on occassion and pop in Persona 4 just to play it on a big screen. C'mon Sony, announce some new dock for the Vita that gives us HDMI out at E3....

That is correct. There are some other tweaks to the main game too.

Then I'm left with no choice but to compare the
Aeon
links of both games in terms of new additions.

...yeah I don't think I need to say what the winner is. :p

Squire

Banned
It is to Persona 4 what FES is to Persona 3. And all the little improvements still make it the best version of the game. There's no reason to play vanilla P4 if you have access to P4G.

This.

The point with re-releases like this isn't to make a "massive improvement", but to refine a product that was already considered good or great.

Levito

Banned
It'd be awesome if P4G was on PS3/360/PC and not on a handheld, the Vita kills my hands after using it for more than a couple hours.

Squire

Banned
It'd be awesome if P4G was on PS3/360/PC and not on a handheld, the Vita destroies my hands after using it for more than a couple hours.

I think it's great on the Vita, myself, but I'd probably re-purchase it on any platform if it was ported. (Assuming I own said platform.)

Meia

I still wish console makers that have both a console and a handheld would allow you to play handheld games on the console, and just allow you to play it portable with the correct device if you want to. Would sell more handheld games that way.

Have the same grumbles about P4 as I do about SMT4 being on a 3DS. Still don't know how Sony though went from a portable that could output to a big screen to one that didn't. Just can't understand removing features from one thing to the next.

cjkeats

Still don't know how Sony though went from a portable that could output to a big screen to one that didn't. Just can't understand removing features from one thing to the next.

I'm still waiting to see if that mystery port at the top will do it. At least that's what I'm hoping it'll do.
I mean it's gotta be for something right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom