• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
game_center_cx_5.jpg

Shinya Arimo, a Japanese reality show host.

Shoot, top of new page. Post something cool... post something cool... post something cool...

tumblr_m070kkDOQi1rqzqc4o1_500.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was amazed to find out that Persona 3 came out after Nocturne on reflection.

...Nocturne looks a thousand times better. Which is what bums me out about SMT IV.

Sophia asked me to post this here and see your guys thoughts on it, for people who have greater knowledge about all the games in the series, 2srs4u plot connections inbound, you have been warned. All games in series spoilers inbound also. Its a thing someone wrote up, I forgot where. It contains info from Persona World Guidance and some the poster found himself:

> In 1996 (probably), Takahisa Kandori developed the DEVA machine which was designed to create a special space allowing for the matter within it to shift into special forms. A sick and dying girl with an apparent incurable disease, Maki, was plugged into it and created a mirror version of her hometown, sealed off without hospitals and police stations.
>He was defeated by the Persona 1 Team, including Kei Nanjo.
>The Nanjo Corporation acquires all the research of the scientists involved and start their own. Keep in mind that Kei’s relationship with his parents basically amounts to nothing; he was raised by his butler since he was a child, Yamaoka, who died protecting him in the first game, and is being raised to be the heir (his new bodyguard “operates under the principle that the prestige of the Nanjo Group is more important than Nanjo himself”). Moreover, he went to Oxford in England right after his high school graduation to study, so he was probably unaware of what was going on.
>The scientist from this acquisition are people who have all worked with Kandori so they know about Persona, Persona users, and so on.
> I have no idea if by then the Kirijo and Group and Nanjo Group were still one of the same, but it’s very likely they still where. Besides: “Despite this, the Kirijo Group works closely with the Nanjo Group and has a business motto of “Two in Harmony Surpasses One in Perfection”
> Research is conducting on developing Anti-Shadow androids. To make them able to call Persona, they use the Plumes of Dusk and also take sick and dying patients and use their memories to give the androids a personality.
> In 1999 in the EP world, Kandori is resurrected with the power of rumors and begins amongst other things to work on creating another Deva system, along with previous research which includes separating Jokers from victims and theory on how to go about creating artificial persona users.
>Labrys is activated in April 1999, goes ‘berserk’ and is deactivated.
>Kei Nanjo also finds out that his company is paying for the research Kandori was working on and vows to fix the mistakes.
>He mentions they were also working with the government. The government was aware of the research going on, something Persona 4: Arena mentions.
> 1999 Shadow Incident
> By the time the two companies separate, you have scientists who have worked with SEBEC, Nanjo and Kirijo groups, have copies of Kandori’s research which probably includes the DEVA system and…
>Shiiiit.
>I refuse to believe Kei is not in some way involved in the Shadow Operatives.

Young Magus

Sophia asked me to post this here and see your guys thoughts on it, for people who have greater knowledge about all the games in the series, 2srs4u plot connections inbound, you have been warned. All games in series spoilers inbound also. Its a thing someone wrote up, I forgot where. It contains info from Persona World Guidance and some the poster found himself:

> In 1996 (probably), Takahisa Kandori developed the DEVA machine which was designed to create a special space allowing for the matter within it to shift into special forms. A sick and dying girl with an apparent incurable disease, Maki, was plugged into it and created a mirror version of her hometown, sealed off without hospitals and police stations.
>The Nanjo Corporation acquires all the research of the scientists involved and start their own. Keep in mind that Kei’s relationship with his parents basically amounts to nothing; he was raised by his butler since he was a child, Yamaoka, who died protecting him in the first game, and is being raised to be the heir (his new bodyguard “operates under the principle that the prestige of the Nanjo Group is more important than Nanjo himself”). Moreover, he went to Oxford in England right after his high school graduation to study, so he was probably unaware of what was going on.
>The scientist from this acquisition are people who have all worked with Kandori so they know about Persona, Persona users, and so on.
> I have no idea if by then the Kirijo and Group and Nanjo Group were still one of the same, but it’s very likely they still where. Besides: “Despite this, the Kirijo Group works closely with the Nanjo Group and has a business motto of “Two in Harmony Surpasses One in Perfection”
> Research is conducting on developing Anti-Shadow androids. To make them able to call Persona, they use the Plumes of Dusk and also take sick and dying patients and use their memories to give the androids a personality.
> In 1999 in the EP world, Kandori is resurrected with the power of rumors and begins amongst other things to work on creating another Deva system, along with previous research which includes separating Jokers from victims and theory on how to go about creating artificial persona users.
>Kei Nanjo also finds out that his company is paying for the research Kandori was working on and vows to fix the mistakes.
>He mentions they were also working with the government. The government was aware of the research going on, something Persona 4: Arena mentions.
> 1999 Shadow Incident
> By the time the two companies separate, you have scientists who have worked with SEBEC, Nanjo and Kirijo groups, have copies of Kandori’s research which probably includes the DEVA system and…
>Shiiiit.
:O O.Y.G

PK Gaming

Soooooooo I just started catherine. Really great game, it does live up to the hype. The plot premise is BANANAS (If I was in Vincents situation, i'd go crazy. I need beauty sleep...)

I like the games style (i laugh every time Vincents mouth opens up real wide)

When Catherine and Vincent hook up, I get this image Kanji and Rise hooking up to... it's funny

> 1999 Shadow Incident
>Shiiiit.
mindblown.gif

Sophia

For what it's worth, one part of that I can't confirm the accuracy of (
The Nanjo group's acquisition of SEBEC
) so it may not be entirely true. Still....

Times like this I wish there were full translations of the Persona World Guidance and the P3 Club Book.

cj_iwakura

> 1999 Shadow Incident
>Shiiiit.

I always suspected the connection(and the silhouette adds to it), but that nails the coffin.

Dantis

That's a great picture
except for the fact that they got Naoto's hair wrong

I was amazed to find out that Persona 3 came out after Nocturne on reflection.

...Nocturne looks a thousand times better. Which is what bums me out about SMT IV.

Sure does. DDS looks ace too.

In one of the interviews, Soejima said they deliberately made Persona 3 look super lo-fi, due to budget and time limitations. By deliberately making it worse, you can use that to your advantage.

Meia

Not sure how that is any proof that
Kei would be part of the Shadow Operatives.

Isn't one of the silhouettes when they show the group very very similar to Nanjo though?

The thing I wonder about is when the Kirijo group split off. Was it when they decided to end the world with Mitsuru's grandfather at the helm, and that was the reason for the split? Was it after to fix the old head's mistakes?

Dammit, I just want one game to have a sitdown with EVERYONE. :p

FluxWaveZ

If they wanted them to be meaningless, they could've gone with shapeless blobs, not exact replicas of characters. :p

I mean they're meaningless in that speculating who the characters are, based on vague silhouettes, is useless. There's extremely little to go on, so people just go with their hopes instead of what's actually there, like those who were completely certain one of the guys was Junpei because of a baseball cap.

pirata

So...now that SMT4 is out in Japan...would it be hopeless to expect a P5 unveiling in the near future? It's been so long...Persona 4 came out almost five years ago in Japan...

FluxWaveZ

So...now that SMT4 is out in Japan...would it be hopeless to expect a P5 unveiling in the near future? It's been so long...Persona 4 came out almost five years ago in Japan...

Nothing to say for sure. Current projects of Atlus we know of, I believe, are Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl and Devil Survivor 2: Break Record. I bet we don't have any new Atlus game announcements until at least Fall 2013, if at all later this year. So, my current guess is either Persona 5 is announced Q4 2013 or some time in 2014.

Coming into this year I thought for sure there would be a P5 announcement in Q3 2013, but I'm not too sure anymore.

On the bright side, Persona games have a notoriously short time between announcement and release, so we won't have to agonize over it too much once the time comes :)

Unlike Zelda games!

The wait for Zelda games is torture :(

I mean, Twilight Princess came out what, almost three years after it was formally announced? I thought it was a pretty good game, but that's a long time in which people can lose interest or have their opinions on it changed. They probably lost a good amount of potential sales due to that gap.

Dantis

Nothing to say for sure. Current projects of Atlus we know of, I believe, are Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey: Millennium Girl and Devil Survivor 2: Break Record. I bet we don't have any new Atlus game announcements until at least Fall 2013, if at all later this year. So, my current guess is either Persona 5 is announced Q4 2013 or some time in 2014.

Coming into this year I thought for sure there would be a P5 announcement in Q3 2013, but I'm not too sure anymore.

Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem is likely coming out after P5 though.

I think by Q3 we'll have our P5 announcement.

Lunar15

But they had nothing to show of it. It was just shown in the panic Nintendo Direct and was clearly shown too soon.

This. I am still betting on a P5 announcement around TGS time this year. If not, I feel there are probably bigger issues we need to be concerned about.

FluxWaveZ

But they had nothing to show of it. It was just shown in the panic Nintendo Direct and was clearly shown too soon.

That's true, but the fact still remains that it's announced and Persona 5 isn't. Can't really say whether one or the other will be released first with the little information we have even though we know at least the next Persona game is in active development.

This. I am still betting on a P5 announcement around TGS time this year. If not, I feel there are probably bigger issues we need to be concerned about.

Does Atlus even have a presence at TGS?

Omikaru

I have a feeling 2013 is the year for P5's announcement, at least. Probably a Japanese release in February/March 2014, and a US release later in the year.

As for Europe, lol. Better hope it's not on 3DS or region locked on PS3.

Lunar15

That's true, but the fact still remains that it's announced and Persona 5 isn't. Can't really say whether one or the other will be released first with the little information we have even though we know at least the next Persona game is in active development.

Does Atlus even have a presence at TGS?

No, but they usually announce these things around TGS, in famitsu.

FluxWaveZ

No, but they usually announce these things around TGS, in famitsu.

Hm, that's true, with the exception of Persona 3 and Persona 4 which were both announced in March (and P2:EPP in February, but that doesn't really count). Q3 2013 seems more likely now, but we'll see.

Astra

The wait for Zelda games is torture :(

I mean, Twilight Princess came out what, almost three years after it was formally announced? I thought it was a pretty good game, but that's a long time in which people can lose interest or have their opinions on it changed. They probably lost a good amount of potential sales due to that gap.

Torture indeed!

Skyward Sword was shown (well concept art) at E3 '09. So a two and a half year wait from there.

I remember when the first trailer of TP was shown, and at the end the wolf was howling at the moon. One poster said he was at E3, and was told the wolf was very closely tied with Link and suggested Link may even take on the form. So many people turned their flamethrowers on the poor guy, saying it was a stupid concept and wouldn't happen.
It's funny thinking back on that.

Sophia

Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem is likely coming out after P5 though.

I think by Q3 we'll have our P5 announcement.

The idealist in me thinks we won't have to wait anywhere this long, but the pessimist in me is thinking something is horribly wrong at Atlus/Index.

Excuse me, beating the shit out of pessimist me.

Lunar15

The idealist in me thinks we won't have to wait anywhere this long, but the pessimist in me is thinking something is horribly wrong at Atlus/Index.

Excuse me, beating the shit out of pessimist me.

I dunno, there seemed to be no issues with SMTIV, and it's clear that since a lot of the "mainstays" weren't working on that game, one would have to assume they're working on P5.

It's probably that they ARE making this for consoles, and as such, they require a new engine.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, there seemed to be no issues with SMTIV, and it's clear that since a lot of the "mainstays" weren't working on that game, one would have to assume they're working on P5.

It's probably that they ARE making this for consoles, and as such, they require a new engine.

Yeah, I really don't think there's anything very problematic concerning Persona 5's development.

Squire

Banned

Except Kaneko. He's trapped in a fridge or something.

I'm sure everything is fine, since Hashino keeps saying it's in the works periodically. A game in trouble is one you never hear about.

Keep in mind the gap between EP and P3. The same thing is happening again. Not only do they make lengthy games, but once again they're contending with a switch of both engine and platform. I don't think there's reason to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom