• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked what I saw of Daylight, but I dunno. In terms of recently released promo material, I prefer the one for a plasmatic phenomenom that usually happens, and is tied to, nighttime, especially if it's arriving for the second or third time.

Dantis

Well, it's just been confirmed that Crystal Dynamics aren't working on a Legacy of Kain game.

That's the first of my E3 wishes smashed.

Link that confirmation!

Probably Tomb Raider 2.

A statement from Square Enix community manager George Kelion was sent to Eurogamer following the publication of the below report.

"We're aware that the community has been actively discussing rumours about a game currently in development called Nosgoth, after it was referenced in AMD's Crossfire Application Profile and the Steam database last week. While we can confirm that this game exists, is in active development and is set in the same universe as the Legacy of Kain games, it's not a traditional or even single-player LoK experience.

"Given the AMD and Steam leaks, it feels weird to have a bunch of info out there and we don't want the community to get the wrong idea, especially as the game won't be at this year's E3.

"We can also tell you that Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics, nor are they working on a Legacy of Kain game right now and while our game is set in the world of Nosgoth, it's very much on a separate branch to both the Soul Reaver and Blood Omen series.

"Sorry to be so cagey. There will be an official announcement in due course when we'll reveal Nosgoth properly, so we can't go into tons of detail just at the moment. Everyone at Square Enix is really excited by the game and we're all looking forward to lifting the veil of secrecy in the future.”

Eurogamer

Necrovex

Appreciate the link, Lollipop.

So, I have been looking at possible cosplay designs for Megacon next year. I am speaking to a friend, since we want to go as a duo. I have landed on the idea that we'll go as the Persona MCs. Him as Yu, and me as Minato.

We originally thought to do Berserk cosplay (Guts and Griffith), but that would take way too much time to craft two decent outfits (plus my friend would need to hit the gym 24/7 and eat so much protein to obtain Guts's muscles.)

Edit: I also quite want a Legacy of Kain HD update. I never played the franchise, but everything I hear about that series makes it seem that I would simply love it. But, it would be difficult to play such an old game with those graphics. I have become too snobbish. :-(

Lunar15

So wow, people are really mad about that new Xbox eh?

I have to say though: it's a little surprising that people didn't expect this out of Microsoft, who has done nothing but make really horrible decisions for nearly all of their products recently.

So wow, people are really mad about that new Xbox eh?

I'd be mad too if my friends and I can't lend games back and forth like we usually do.

Oh wait, you kinda can't.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

So if I were to lend a game to friend A and I know friend B wanted to play it afterwards, I wouldn't be allowed to do so on the Xbone, yet on any other console I can do just that.

Dantis

Edit: I also quite want a Legacy of Kain HD update. I never played the franchise, but everything I hear about that series makes it seem that I would simply love it. But, it would be difficult to play such an old game with those graphics. I have become too snobbish. :-(

It's only the graphics that have aged though (And Defiance still looks pretty reasonable anyway, considering).

The voice acting in particular is still better than most games, particularly dubs of Japanese ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsZdCSjCzQ

EDIT: The thing that bothers me about the Xbone is the lack of rentals. Absolutely killer.

Microsoft can fuck themselves. NO MONEY FOR YOU.

Lunar15

No one thing actually bothers me as much as the fact that I'm confused as to why buying games now sounds like a phone contract, with asterisks and footnotes galore.

The used game thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the 24 hour check up or mandatory kinect.

Only reason I didn't mention those is because me going on about those again is nearly beating a dead horse. We know those suck and it's been mentioned by many people a lot. But yeah, those are crappy as well.

Levito

Banned
Microsoft has always struggled with their products and not making them a convoluted mess. They forget that complicating and confusing potential consumers will usually turn people off to their products entirely.

Samyy

Microsoft has always struggled with their products and not making them a convoluted mess. They forget that complicating and confusing potential consumers will usually turn people off to their products entirely.

Hmm I think a vast majority of xbox 360 owners will buy a xbox one just because they are oblivious to the situation. Don't think many will be turned off, they just want their COD machine.

I made my sure my friends know whats up and I got them on the PS4 bandwagon for now so perhaps if the information was more widely spread more people would care.

I've never once bought an Xbox-brand product, so I'm rather indifferent to the entire Xbone situation.

I do however dread the thought of it becoming successful, which may lead to other companies thinking that they can pull this kind of crap and get away with it and by proxy an industry ruled by greed and facillitated by Xboning.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got Arena. I've been trying some of the challenge modes and damn, thought this game would be a lot more casual friendly than Guilty Gear, but I find myself struggling with some of the earlier combos because of the strict input timing required.

Sophia

EDIT: The thing that bothers me about the Xbone is the lack of rentals. Absolutely killer.

That is the game changer for me and everyone in my city too. Rentals are huge here, and nobody's gonna buy an Xbox One when they can't rent. Or they'll buy one and find out they can't rent. :\

Finally got Arena. I've been trying some of the challenge modes and damn, thought this game would be a lot more casual friendly than Guilty Gear, but I find myself struggling with some of the earlier combos because of the strict input timing required.

Some of the challenges are impractical. Like the last third of any given character are genuine challenges and not BnB Combos.

Grats on getting Arena btw!

GulAtiCa

For me, what kills the system for me is the 24hr check. Having to ask permission to play a game is such bull.. Esp if there servers are offline or Xbox Two comes out few years later and all my games are now gone.

PK Gaming

Seconding what Sophia said(I haven't fully completed a single characters challenge). If you want to level up your game, head on over to http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Persona_4:_Arena and check out the character specific combos over there.

Sophia

Wahahaha, NichM just tweeted this image in regards to Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 4:

RainslickReview5.jpg

All the abilities are Persona 1/2 references. Awesome.

Seconding what Sophia said(I haven't fully completed a single characters challenge). If you want to level up your game, head on over to http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Persona_4:_Arena and check out the character specific combos over there.

I just gave Kanji's page a curiosity check, but now I've become determined to train my game and rise above my status of Fraudji.

And now I'm really craving a Troy Baker cover of I'll Make A Man Out Of You.

PK Gaming

I just gave Kanji's page a curiosity check, but now I've become determined to train my game and rise above my status of Fraudji.

And now I'm really craving a Troy Baker cover of I'll Make A Man Out Of You.

Bon diggity, that's the spirit!

If you're having difficulty with the combo notation, remember that
A = Light Attack
B = Heavy Attack
C = Light Persona Attack
D = Heavy Persona Attack

and the numbers correspond to the direction on the control pad. So using the PS3 controller as an example:

"5" is the neutral position
"6" is going forward, and "4" is going backwards.
"2" is going downwards (or crouching) and "8" is jumping

5AA > 2A > 5B > 2A+B > 236A

So a combo like this would be

Press Light attack twice > Press Light attack and click on the crouching button> Press Heavy Attack > Press Light & Heavy attack at the same time while crouching* > Quartercircle forward + Light attack

*(I think this button is mapped to L1 by default, so pressing L1 should work as a substitute)

(I hope I explained that right...)

Alright, thanks! I'll begin my training as soon as I have a spare minute at home.

I must be swift as the coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon! With all the strength of a raging fire, mysterious as the dark side of the moon (y'know, for mix-ups)!

Dantis

Wahahaha, NichM just tweeted this image in regards to Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 4:

RainslickReview5.jpg

All the abilities are Persona 1/2 references. Awesome.

This is awesome. Makes sense too, one of the Zeboyd guys posts on GAF and is a big Persona fan.

Necrovex

It's only the graphics that have aged though (And Defiance still looks pretty reasonable anyway, considering).

The voice acting in particular is still better than most games, particularly dubs of Japanese ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNsZdCSjCzQ

Fuck it! That looked awesome. Going to pick up the games very soon. But I must know if there are any good mods that help make the game not look as dated?

*Click*
*Scroll to combos*
NUMBERS AND LETTERS

Urp. I think i'ma stay casual.

Speaking of Arena, I've now reached 100 online matches and I'm still an E+! :p When you fall, get right back up.

It pits me against C and B grades most of the time anyway. Most matches are so incredibly close. Even managed a draw in one round, we were both on a smidge of health, and all in a split second Yu jumps, I shoot upwards with Aigis' crouch attack, he does a dive attack and BAM!

Sophia

*Click*
*Scroll to combos*
NUMBERS AND LETTERS

Urp. I think i'ma stay casual.

Speaking of Arena, I've now reached 100 online matches and I'm still an E+! :p When you fall, get right back up.

It pits me against C and B grades most of the time anyway. Most matches are so incredibly close. Even managed a draw in one round, we were both on a smidge of health, and all in a split second Yu jumps, I shoot upwards with Aigis' crouch attack, he does a dive attack and BAM!

Read PK's post above yours for an explaination of the numbers and letters. It's actually not that complicated.

I feel like playing P4A now....

Yeah but then you've got to learn them all and more importantly integrate them into your game, which I just can't find myself capable of doing. Keeping track of the opponent and responding quickly enough is already a challenge, not enough time to think 'which combo would be best to use now and how did it go?' Just seems a little out of my depth is all.

Sophia

That's why you go into training mode and pratctice them versus a dummy, then versus the CPU. Eventually they become second nature. Heck I self-taught some of Aigis's BnB combos. Didn't even have to look em up. :S

Markun

Hello, Personagaf. Sorry if I'm interrupting anything. I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and I've decided to stop being a creepy creep and try to participate in this thread, even if I am a really bad at socializing.

I've known about Persona ever since it was released back in 1996. I was only 7 back then, but I really enjoyed it even if I had no idea how the hell fusing worked was or where I was going. It was just fun to summon personas and go through dungeons with awesome music. Oh and SUPER GUIDO was really fun too. Ever since then, I've bought every Persona game and loved every single one of them. I still really wish the Innocent Sin anime was a thing though. It had Japanese broadcast information and everything at the end too. :<

My favorite Persona girl ever is Eriko/Ellen and she'll always be there. She's got the best theme too. Second is Elizabeth and then third is Maya. I think I just really like charismatic, kind and optimistic characters who have their own unique way of thinking or doing things but still gets shit done.

So yeah, that's my introduction. It's nice to meet everyone and I hope I'll be able to gather the courage to post here more often.

Oh Gods, it took an hour to think up this post.

Lunar15

Hello, Personagaf. Sorry if I'm interrupting anything. I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and I've decided to stop being a creepy creep and try to participate in this thread, even if I am a really bad at socializing.

I've known about Persona ever since it was released back in 1996. I was only 7 back then, but I really enjoyed it even if I had no idea how the hell fusing worked was or where I was going. It was just fun to summon personas and go through dungeons with awesome music. Oh and SUPER GUIDO was really fun too. Ever since then, I've bought every Persona game and loved every single one of them. I still really wish the Innocent Sin anime was a thing though. It had Japanese broadcast information and everything at the end too. :<

My favorite Persona girl ever is Eriko/Ellen and she'll always be there. She's got the best theme too. Second is Elizabeth and then third is Maya. I think I just really like charismatic, kind and optimistic characters who have their own unique way of thinking or doing things but still gets shit done.

So yeah, that's my introduction. It's nice to meet everyone and I hope I'll be able to gather the courage to post here more often.

You have good taste in avatars and in games. You will be fine here.

Levito

Banned
Welcome to our little community Markun. You don't nee to worry about being formal or anything like that, it's just a message board. ;)

Dantis

Fuck it! That looked awesome. Going to pick up the games very soon. But I must know if there are any good mods that help make the game not look as dated?

Not that I know of. Soul Reaver has easily aged the worst, so if that kind of thing bothers you, it might be best to just skip it. Defiance is also easily the prettiest and the most playable, because it was released post-DMC. Soul Reaver 2 plays... fine? I guess. The story is also the strongest in that one.

Yeah! We don't bite anyhow... except Turnip maybe. :D

Welcome. :3

That's cool, nobody likes him anyway.

Welcome to our club! The more the merrier

That's why you go into training mode and pratctice them versus a dummy, then versus the CPU. Eventually they become second nature. Heck I self-taught some of Aigis's BnB combos. Didn't even have to look em up. :S
Hm... I guess it wouldn't hurt to at least try. At least one or two for starters anyway.

Haha, dude, I think I know how you feel. I have social anxiety and don't post much and end up overthinking stuff I type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom