• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit.

JXBL74D.png

we're even SAME TIME POSTING BUDDIES :D

cj_iwakura

I'm sure TLOU is great, but not for a moment do I believe it is absolutely perfect like every reviewer seems dead set on saying. Everything has flaws.

FluxWaveZ

I'm sure TLOU is great, but not for a moment do I believe it is absolutely perfect like every reviewer seems dead set on saying. Everything has flaws.

Haven't been reading reviews or paying too much attention to the general response, but are they arguing it's flawless or is this your own interpretation from the scores?

Taruranto

Honestly, i can't help but shake my head at so many people being over TLOU reviews.

Didn't the Doritos scandal teach people anything?

I have no idea whatever the Ellen Page Simulator is good or not, but i surely wouldn't trust reviews and "Videogame Journalist" to tell me that (not to mention the concept of "good" is kinda fucked up nowadays since every AAA game is either a 9+ or shit).

cj_iwakura

Honestly, i can't help but shake my head at so many people being over TLOU reviews.

I have no idea whatever the Ellen Page Simulator is good or not, but i surely wouldn't trust reviews and "Videogame Journalist" to tell me that.

You're thinking of Beyond.

Taruranto

No i'm not. The little girl definitely looked like Ellen Page, it's an ongoing meme. They changed her, but she still similar.

Just google "Ellen Page" and "The Last of Us" if you don't believe me. :p

I have no idea whatever the Ellen Page Simulator is good or not, but i surely wouldn't trust reviews and "Videogame Journalist" to tell me that (not to mention the concept of "good" is kinda fucked up nowadays since every AAA game is either a 9+ or shit).

numbers are basically meaningless and tell you nothing about the game (but golly gee it isn't gonna stop nerds from being furious if something receives less than a 9.5!) and i am inherently distrustful of any review that references citizen kane or dips into "games as art" discussion, but that's mostly because games that get lauded with that kind of praise tend to fit into one of two categories: either they're basically what everyone else has been doing except with a higher budget, or they developers were basically trying to make a movie.

i mean i'm sure it'll be a good game but i don't expect to be ~blown away~

Sophia

Haven't been reading reviews or paying too much attention to the general response, but are they arguing it's flawless or is this your own interpretation from the scores?

The sole complaint that's been consistent across all reviews is the sidekick AI and it apparently runs into minor issues? At any rate, all of them rated it perfect/near perfect scores.

Sophia

I should probably point out that I absolutely do believe The Last of Us is every bit worthy of the score. Uncharted 2 was one of the best experiences I've had in a long time, and I've seen no evidence to suggest that The Last of Us isn't just as amazing.

Squire

Banned

A 10/10 doesn't denote perfection for most people. It indicates an experience that's satisfying in all it's efforts and close to perfect.

Any realistic person knows nothing is entirely perfect.

Edit: Yeah, ditto Flux and Sophia.

cj_iwakura

A 10/10 doesn't denote perfection for most people. It indicates an experience that's satisfying in all it's efforts and close to perfect.

Then the score should reflect it, IMO. Whatever negatives it has, point them out and adjust your rating appropriately. Like if the game is easy without challenge due to regenerating health or some such. (I have no idea if this true, just an example.)

Except I'm hardly a reviewer, and when I write on them I don't assign scores, so what do I know. :p

Levito

Banned
Citizen Kane get's a 7.5/10 for not adopting the newest iteration of the Havoc™ physics engine. I was really taken out of the room trashing scene cause the environments weren't more destructible.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Except Super Metroid.

Astra

I'm moderately stoked for TLoU. Not knowing much at all about it has really helped temper expectations. Knowing little about it, and not reading any reviews, those are all just meaningless numbers to me. Not that I ever read reviews.

Squire

Banned
Then the score should reflect it, IMO. Whatever negatives it has, point them out and adjust your rating appropriately. Like if the game is easy without challenge due to regenerating health or some such. (I have no idea if this true, just an example.)

Except I'm hardly a reviewer, and when I write on them I don't assign scores, so what do I know. :p

I agree with you, but it's all about the specific issues you have and how big they are. If I'm reviewing a game I'm not gonna mark it down for negligible, very minor flaws that I know I'm likely to obsess over.

I'd mark Valkyria Chronicles down because I take issue with the grading system. I'm not gonna detract because I dislike the text font or because the game makes you shoot with the R1 button and I wanna use R2; minor things like that don't detract from the experience and only bother the obsessive and hyper sensitive.

But I could agree with your self-assessment. I mean, most people who took the time to review P2: IS gave it ~6/10 and you made it seem like the game was slaughtered by critics XD

But yeah, reviews. I'm not one of those people against scores, but if you're interested in reading reviews... read them. Find critics you like. They're out there. Don't listen to people like Keiichi (ie people that talk out if their asses and don't actually read any of the writing they're so critical of).

FluxWaveZ

A review isn't a scientific analysis. Reviewers don't go, "this texture in level X was blurry, -0.2 points", "X character's voice actor was bad, -0.4 points" or "the walking animation looks great, +0.6 points." Like Inorigo stated, everyone knows that no game is perfect (except for those who seemingly attribute 10/10 to perfection for some reason) and a "perfect" score is just an indication that the game was so fulfilling that they wholeheartedly recommend it. 'Course, this concept varies between reviewers, but even IGN says that a 10 game "may not be flawless."

Squire

Banned
Citizen Kane get's a 7.5/10 for not adopting the newest iteration of the Havoc™ physics engine. I was really taken out of the room trashing scene cause the environments weren't more destructible.

I think CJ would appreciate that review. Phil Kollar is very smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom