• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Just started Persona 4 for the first time. Its also my first Persona game too

The difficulty spike midway through Yukiko's castle caught me off guard.

Trigger

Yukiko's dungeon is probably one of the toughest. Once you get a more diverse roster of personae the game becomes pretty easy.

Astra

Stop going off-topic, guys! Gawd!

Yeah it does tend to catch people off guard. Keep it up though, and grind up to level 14 or so, and you'll have no problems. Though you can beat it easily at any level if you use strategy.

Soriku

2 shifted the focus away from the two most important characters, and worse, wrecked their voices. I enjoyed the battle system, and the music, but that was about it.

Shion and KOS-MOS? They're important but not the only characters and they needed to get the URTV story fleshed out. It was going to be a big part of the story no matter what. And anyway you get all the Shion and KOS-MOS you want in Xenosaga 3, along with some conclusions for the other characters.

A shift in character focus isn't enough to make 1 better than 2.

Meia

Yeah, the game takes the training wheels off fairly quickly.

Best advice to new people to the series(for the new games) is to just make sure your main character's personas aren't too far behind level wise to your party members. It's hard to do this in Yukiko's, which is part of the reason why it's difficult. Personas need 1.5x exp of the party member/MC's to level, so going for fusions with Social Link bonus exp is the way to go. Yukiko, since you hardly have any links, means you're grinding personas a lil bit.

I liked Xenogears, but that disc 2 ruined the game for me.

Astra

Shion and KOS-MOS? They're important but not the only characters and they needed to get the URTV story fleshed out. It was going to be a big part of the story no matter what. And anyway you get all the Shion and KOS-MOS you want in Xenosaga 3, along with some conclusions for the other characters.

A shift in character focus isn't enough to make 1 better than 2.

If I recall correctly, Episode 2 was supposed to have an even bigger focus on the URTVs than it did, or the story regarding them was supposed to happen differently. I don't quite recall. There was also supposed to be a focus on Shion and her connection to the Zohar; her being one of the "people of the Zohar".

So much was scrapped, but we got it all back in the Xeno III database.

Trigger

I liked Xenogears, but that disc 2 ruined the game for me.

But Disc 2 is when things get awesome.

chuchufix.jpg

Astra

Dangit John; I'm a man of science, not a man of faith! The probability of my victory is at less than 1% right now, and I don't like those odds!

I'm sorry, it looks like you're boned. Mara be with you, Scrafty.

Ohh, I got a shipping confirmation for TLoU. Looks like it'll arrive on release day. That's great! I never get games on release day from Futureshop.

FluxWaveZ

So, I can't post this in a thread of its own because junior status, but I just was linked an article saying that Index is suspected of cooking its books. Could someone more familiar with Japanese actually check this and post it to the main forum if true?

Heh, well I assume one of the reasons Juniors are not able to create threads is because they don't have the know-how (no offense, guess it comes with forum experience) to search if the thread was already made.

Right here.

Watashiwa

*headdesk*

I searched and didn't see it. Thanks for keeping me from sudokuing.

EDIT: Jesus, they even used the same expression to describe this. God I suck.

Necrovex

Xenosaga talk?! I can get behind this groovy train.

All three, and Gears.

I rate them Gears > III > I > root canal work > II

And that link is proof positive that Yuki Kajiura made Yasunori Mitsuda look like an amateur.

I never got to play Xenogear, it is on my list of shame. But, I semi-agree with your list. Xenosaga III was the epitome of the franchise, and it ended the series all so well. Though, I wouldn't say Xenosaga II was *that* bad. The gameplay was below average, but I really enjoyed the story and music of it!

Xenosaga 2 > 1 IMO. 1 was nothing special, at least 2 went more in-depth into the story (1 was just a set up) and had a good post-game.

2 shifted the focus away from the two most important characters, and worse, wrecked their voices. I enjoyed the battle system, and the music, but that was about it.

The voice for Kos-Mos was pure garbage, but she hardly did anything in that game. I really enjoyed the major focus on Rubedo, Albedo, and Nigredo. I obtained a far greater appreciation for those characters. Plus, it introduced Jin (well XS I did that, but barely), and the greatness of the tune, 'Fatal Fight.'

This talk of Xenosaga makes me sad that I haven't touched Xenoblade either.

Tamanon

Banned
I have not played Xenosaga..:(, is it worth getting in to?

It's an odd series. I've played a good amount of Xenosaga 1, a short amount of Xenosaga 2(hated it), and all of Xenosaga 3(twice). I loved the last one, and it at least gives you a lot of the story information from the previous two if needed.

Soriku

Yes. But the downside is that the first two games aren't all that special, story aside. Xenosaga 3 however is a massive improvement in literally every way, easily a top 5 PS2 RPG. I'd even argue it's comparable to Xenoblade in quality. I had to play through it twice to truly appreciate it though.

The lore for the series is insane.

Taruranto

It's kinda a of unique series and given how much time it is required to complete them (that assuming you don't start to delve into the bonus material...) it's kinda hard to recommend it to just anyone. I believe yes, if you are a JRPG fan you should give them a try. Or at least play Xenogears at least.

Necrovex

It's kinda a of unique series and given how much time it is required to complete them (that assuming you don't start to delve into the bonus material...) it kinda hard to recommend it to just anyone. I believe yes, if you are a JRPG fan you should give them a try. Or at least play Xenogears at least.

At least this trilogy has a satisfying ending unlike a certain Bioware trilogy.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't help myself.

Young Magus

Thanks for the responses, so should I just get 3 sometime down the horizon being that it has cut scenes that covers the first two games?

Oh and I've play Gears _keiichi_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom