• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Great Atlus music; the final boss theme from Trauma Center 2 is among my favourites of all time. I have some sort of thing for epic choirs, I suppose.

EDIT: New art for new page:

QhrzQHI.jpg

Soriku

Thanks for the responses, so should I just get 3 sometime down the horizon being that it has cut scenes that covers the first two games?

Oh and I've play Gears _keiichi_

3 doesn't have cutscenes that cover the first two games. IIRC there are synopses but they're basic. It's worth playing them, or at the absolute minimum watching all the cutscenes on Youtube (if you can find them).

PK Gaming

Maya is like my fourth favourite character in a series rife with great characters.

Yeah, she's my 3rd.

While on the subject, i've been hanging out with you guys for a while now and I know you well for the most part. That said, i've always wondered what your single favorite Persona character is, and why.

So if anyone wants to participate, can you post who your single favorite Persona (not megaten in general) character, and a brief reason explaining why they're your favorite?

cjkeats

pInvy9y.jpg

Buddha, Smed, myself, and Ven set sail on the open seas...
96jxYEu.jpg

Play a couple of games....
lzZ1YAx.jpg

...and return with a rank in each of our social links.

I think you know pretty well who my favourite character is, but I'll reiterate for those who may have missed it.

Junpei Iori is my favourite character in the Persona franchise because he's the one I relate with the most. His complex is played extremely realistically, and every time he'd get frustrated or upset over being one-upped or feeling worthless, I'd say to myself, "Holy crap, dude. I've been there." He's also among the few P3 characters who receive a significant amount of character development, changing from a bit of a jerk into a supportive, caring friend (that scene with you and him on the roof is still probably my favourite in the series) as well as improving as a person in general (note his increase in test scores between the first and final exams).

I explained my reasoning 1000 times better in episode 5 of the podcast, but I was prepared and sort lf reading off of a script there. Kanji is a close second for me half because of his character and half because of how awesome I think he is.

Trigger

Oh god. I'm not sure who my favorite is in the whole series.

This decision requires intense calculations, thorough spiritual meditation, and elaborate pros and cons lists.
nULmZ.png

Sophia

Do I really need to list my favorite character? =p

That said, I'm becoming more fond of characters I didn't care too much for originally. Lisa and Rise are very quickly topping my favorites. Whereas Junpei and Baofu have always been up there.

Favorite character huh...

Well for starters pay no attention to my icon

Also, I gotta put Akihiko, Chie, Aigis (mainly because of P4A), and Junpei near the top. Bonus points to the P3 protagonist as well due to something I've stated in my spoilerific post of beating P3P again when I mentioned I see parts of my personality in how he's characterized.

so apparently I committed a
n innocent
sin by not saying why I like these characters. Well let me run them down

Mitsuru - Keep in mind the whole reason I'm even here is because Arena, and the only reason I got Arena was because I watched most of the 24 hour launch event stream they held for the US release in some arcade in California on a live stream (I honestly forgot which arcade) but I loved what I saw so much that's what led me to buying Arena and getting into the rest of Persona (sans P1) . While watching I was looking at each of the characters to find one I thought would be fun to use, and then I see Mitsuru and her playstyle and think "shit, she looks cool as hell", and it all kinda spiraled from there

Akihiko - Cool dude. The fact he's capable of beating up shadows with his fists is pretty boss.

Chie - see above but with kicking. Kung Fu in general is good stuff. Also, I can relate to the pretty much meat exclusive diet, as well as having friends who are tomboys.

Aigis - mainly from Arena, I like how there's bits of a sense of humor showing up, as a gradual change over time in 3 and Arena from "just a robot who knows they have a personality" to "a robot who actually seems to have a personality"

Junpei - I really like his character development during the course of P3

Makoto - I've said it before, I'll briefly say it again, I just see some of me in him. Simple.

PK Gaming

Do I really need to list my favorite character? =p

That said, I'm becoming more fond of characters I didn't care too much for originally. Lisa and Rise are very quickly topping my favorites. Whereas Junpei and Baofu have always been up there.

Yes!

The point of this exercise is to learn why X character is your favorite.

Sophia

Yes!

The point of this exercise is to learn why X character is your favorite.

It's very easy to relate to a robot when one is a robot themselves after all. ;)

Although being serious, I've dealt with the issue of being rejected my entire life for being different. So whenever characters like Aigis and Labrys show up in a video game, I am very quickly able to relate to them. Unsurprisingly, Labrys's story still brings me to tears at times.

Plus, for the first 10 or so years of my life, I was pretty much an emotionless ambitionless shell, so that is another area I can relate to pretty easily.
And unlike Aigis and Labrys, I don't have the luxury of never aging.

It takes a total difference in personality (See: Teddie) for me to not be able to relate.

That, and I love robot stories. I've got a lot of Isaac Asimov. :p

Akihiko is the best

Something something I've been waiting for this

Oh and Mitsuru is cool too and so is Junpei yeah.

Basically all of Persona 3's cast (besides Ken) is awesome.

And then Rise and Yukiko are cool tool.

pInvy9y.jpg

Buddha, Smed, myself, and Ven set sail on the open seas...
96jxYEu.jpg

Play a couple of games....
lzZ1YAx.jpg

...and return with a rank in each of our social links.

BMncvgwCYAAzqEr.jpg:large

BMnc89_CUAE2ftf.jpg:large

BMndQ1sCQAAaNAC.jpg:large

Ill go the extra mile and list my favorite male and female per game. Slight spoilers ahead!

Persona 1:

Kei Nanjo- He is far different than most Persona characters. He starts out as an utter pragmatist and a snobbish jerk. Over the course of two games he matures into a driven young man who strives to be the number one man in all Japan. He also learns to act with more humility and start actually making friends. His role in the Persona universe is also a big one, with him being probably the highest status Persona character in the series. His voice is also badass in Persona 1 Portable and his rifle in that game is cool.

Eriko Kirishima- A popular girl at her high school, the popularity did not get to her head. She is utterly kind and understanding, while at the same time has a sense of humor and is quirky. She has typical feminine hobbies, and wants to be a model, but her other passion, the occult, sets her apart. It is hilarious when she reacts to things that most normal people would find terrifying with utter glee and excitement. Her rapier is a nice style, and Her Personas are cool. She is a character who is rather static in Persona 1, is a dynamic character in Persona 2.

Persona 2 Innocent Sin:

Eikichi Mishima is a self proclaimed narcissist and a leader of a gang in his school. He is always hilarious to witness, and his character has surprising amount of depth behind him. For as over the top he is, his character and problems are surprisingly believable. He is also utterly reliable and would defend his friends from anything. His weapon is a sight to behold, a guitar case with a machine gun built in, truly a weapon as over the top as he is. Michel is truly a great character.

Maya Amano. You guys know shes my favorite Persona character by now. She is always trying to think positively and is upbeat, but she has some severe trauma that she has to endure and she tries as hard as she can to keep it from breaking her. She is a character with a ton of layers and depth to her. In a duology full of amazing and strong characters, she is probably the strongest. Her double pistols are an oddly violent weapon for one as bent on happiness and positive thinking as her, but they show another side to her.

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment:

Baofu is one badass dude. He has a style all his own, and his mo is completely different than almost every other Persona character. He seems to operate on the wrong side of the law, and early on, you find out that he may have a connection to the Chinese Mafia. He also seems to hate his Persona and Personas as a whole. Baofu just oozes style and an odd grit to him. I wish Persona had more characters like Baofu. He may appear shifty, but his morals are dead set. He fights with...weighted coins, an odd weapon but a hell of a unique one. As unique as Baofu himself.

Maya Amano. See above.

Persona 3FES:

two way tie for male

Shinjiro Aragaki is a hardened character like Baofu. In fact, I like him for similar qualities as Baofu. Shinjiro is also involved in bad things, he dislikes having a persona for...reasons, and he operates on his own terms. Shinjiro does not have much time to develop and that was the developer intent, and I find that kind of refreshing, all things considered. Even so, I ended up having an affinity for Shinjiro and it is kind of a shame that he didn't have more development. Shinjiro wields a heavy axe and is just a powerhouse in combat and is fun as hell to bring into combat.

Junpei Iori is the most realistic character in Persona 3 and the one that develops the most over the game. He starts out as a jealous whiner, and he goes through quite a bit of phases and in the end, ends up the most mature and rational member. He is one of the two normal characters in a sea of sort of bigger than the norm characters. He is a joker, but despite that, he actually has a darker and more cynical edge to him. Junpei has a natural friendship with the MC and Yukari but it is not smooth sailing, at all, its quite choppy, and I find it refreshing and interesting that its that way. Junpei wields a katana like a baseball bat, and its pretty hilarious.

Yukari Takeba, similarly to Junpei, has a crapton of character development over Persona 3, but unlike Junpei, she actually sort of has a breakdown. I find her character so refreshing and interesting. Many people don't like her for that very reason, but I stand behind her in that. Not everyone can cope and be stoic and heroic with what they have to go through. She gets better in the end and supports the rest of the crew. She wields a bow, and actually sort of sucks at accuracy. PLEASE HIT! -Miss-

Persona 4:

Kanji Tatsumi is a bonafide badass. Except for the fact that he cant take criticism at all, is worried about what everyone thinks about him despite him saying otherwise, and tends to explode in anger over everything. He is also loyal to a fault, the kindest person ever, and mature, where at the same time, very immature. Kanji is a character of contrasts, and it brings him to life in a cool way. He is also hilarious, and frequently steals scenes he is in. He wields a chair. He wields a damn chair.

Yukiko Amagi is a rather stoic character compared to most on my list. She does not develop much, and always stays the kind and caring protector of the group. Her two other sides though, her coldly vengeful side and her party girl side, are what make her stand out to me. They are both hilarious and greatly add to the character, in my opinion. I wish there was more of those two sides of her in vanilla Persona 4, but Golden adds more of both. She wield a folding fan.

Persona 4 Arena:

Kanji Tatsumi. See above.

Mitsuru Kirijo in this game basically for her playing style. KEEP CALM AND GETSU EI. Also her fur coat is awesome. Her role of the leader of the Shadow Operatives greatly interests me as well. She was not my favorite in Persona 3, but she has since gotten more interesting and her maturation as a role model and leader has been interesting to see. Still, how do you not know how to eat a burger. She wields a rapier.

Yup.

Lunar15

My favorite character is Kanji Tatsumi, because gay, not gay... didn't matter. The point was he just needed to be comfortable with whatever he was, even if he didn't know for sure. I thought his character arc was handled perfectly.

Plus I just have a soft spot for tough guys who are actually softies.

My favorite character is Kanji Tatsumi, because gay, not gay... didn't matter. The point was he just needed to be comfortable with whatever he was, even if he didn't know for sure. I thought his character arc was handled perfectly.

Plus I just have a soft spot for tough guys who are actually softies.

get bent!

Young Magus

well it would be a tie between:

Eikichi from Persona 2. Hilarious, witty and full of character and charm that most would dare to dream of. His background and past is quite enduring. He also has one of the best/craziest weapon in the entire series IMO. He's also the only one to have DEATH as a major acrana. The top "bro" character.

Shinjiro from Persona 3. Shinji's role in the game was pretty huge, even when he wasn't a party member. He did have his reasons for his actions and he was a overall amazing character who's selflessness and hidden depths stayed with my while playing p3.

One thing that I liked about both characters was that they both have the theme of "more then meets the eye". Eikichi seems like nothing more then a common then a street punk who's only in love with himself but as you go along, you find out that's not the case and that he's quite caring of those he considers friends. Shinji much of the same in terms of a "punk", but you'll quickly find that he's a tragic hero for reasons that I can't put into this post. Although the theme is the main focus of the series, I feel that it fits well with these two characters.

You look like twins.

Also, can't you design your own clothes on this one? I'm surprised none of you have done.

You are limited early on, bit you could design your own threads in every single one. Remember though, the game just came out so we are poor and missing a ton of the cities functionality.

I have no idea what any of this means.

you know how in persona 3 you can't access the compendium until like may and even then buying stuff from it is prohibitively expensive so you can't really make use of it even if you're far enough in to access it
it's sort of like that

Venfayth

Does Animal Crossing have Twitter functionality built in to it? It's in my feed quite a bit.

No, but the easiest way to share screenshots from your 3DS is via https://i.nintendo.net - which allows you to share your 3DS screenshots ONLY EITHER VIA TWITTER OR TUMBLR.

Which is convenient, but also sucks if you don't have a twitter or tumblr.

TO KEEP THIS ON TOPIC

qOig69o.jpg

:O Amazing. Might have to get that Narukami swag suit.

Oh wow I just now noticed that Buddha and I had matching shirts.

Boy, that's embarrassing.

Haha, I noticed like right away, but didn't want to be rude!

I leave you with this mix of a billion Megaten, Maken X, and Trauma Center/Team songs. 16 minutes, all of them baller, sweet dreams y'all. Stay classy.

Thanks for sharing. This is excellent.

Junpei Iori is my favourite character in the Persona franchise because he's the one I relate with the most. His complex is played extremely realistically, and every time he'd get frustrated or upset over being one-upped or feeling worthless, I'd say to myself, "Holy crap, dude. I've been there." He's also among the few P3 characters who receive a significant amount of character development, changing from a bit of a jerk into a supportive, caring friend (that scene with you and him on the roof is still probably my favourite in the series) as well as improving as a person in general (note his increase in test scores between the first and final exams).

Every time you guys talk about Junpei I appreciate him a little more. My favourite is Aigis. Innocent but not the least bit fragile and an amazing visual design to boot. Plus I think it owes a lot to being able to relate... I'm on the autistic spectrum, so emotions were (and still are sometimes) a thing to be figured out, not something that's understood naturally. Heck, it was the realisation that something wasn't quite right that got me into studying psychology so I could work myself and others out from a logical standpoint. It's hard to explain without going off on a psychological tangent, so let's just say there's a lot of things she says that hit close to home. I fear I may read too much into these things, but I like to think whoever wrote these characters did their research.

Welp, it's Thursday and no Persona 5.

Time to browse deviantart for final icons.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

You've won fair and square. Now I submit to your judgement.

Every time you guys talk about Junpei I appreciate him a little more. My favourite is Aigis. Innocent but not the least bit fragile and an amazing visual design to boot. Plus I think it owes a lot to being able to relate... I'm on the autistic spectrum, so emotions were (and still are sometimes) a thing to be figured out, not something that's understood naturally. Heck, it was the realisation that something wasn't quite right that got me into studying psychology so I could work myself and others out from a logical standpoint. It's hard to explain without going off on a psychological tangent, so let's just say there's a lot of things she says that hit close to home. I fear I may read too much into these things, but I like to think whoever wrote these characters did their research.

I really like how most people's favourite Persona characters are the ones who they have the most in common with. My inferiority complex crippled me emotionally and made me inable to take pride in my work, and so when I played P3 for the first time 5 years ago and saw the issue Junpei had to deal with, I felt as though I was able to move past it and become more than I thought I could be. Plus he wears a baseball cap and I wear a baseball cap so we're Ballcap Buddies :3

Well I'm gonna be out for pretty much the rest of the day so I'll gladly wait until tomorrow for the lols ensued from this icon bet. The moral of the story is that P5 isn't gonna be announced at an american event.

Is the likelihood of P5 appearing at TGS any good, or are you guys getting your hopes unreasonably high again?

I really like how most people's favourite Persona characters are the ones who they have the most in common with. My inferiority complex crippled me emotionally and made me inable to take pride in my work, and so when I played P3 for the first time 5 years ago and saw the issue Junpei had to deal with, I felt as though I was able to move past it and become more than I thought I could be. Plus he wears a baseball cap and I wear a baseball cap so we're Ballcap Buddies :3

It makes sense, people are drawn to those in which they share similarities with, no? I believe it shows just how well these characters are portrayed when they can have this effect despite being fictional. Interesting that the game had that effect on you, it reminds of the podcast with Erin when she says the parts with the shadow selves make you think.

Tamanon

Banned
I'd say my favorite character is still Ulala Serizawa from P2:EP. I think it's the mix of jealousy, indecision and a willingness to fight for what she believes in. She's got layers, and a rich personality. Also, cool design.

Beyond that, Junpei for sure, maybe I'm just a sucker for the jealous types.

Levito

Banned
Is the likelihood of P5 appearing at TGS any good, or are you guys getting your hopes unreasonably high again?

It wont be shown at all this year.

Foolish fools were leading other foolish fools into believing it was going to be shown this week.
myself included

FluxWaveZ

Keep hopes down, as always. It's a good strategy and I've been saying it's either Q3 2013 or 2014 for a while now.

Plus, now that Index/Atlus is imploding who knows what'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom