• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES4 movies/info

Socreges

Banned
Gameplay videos:

http://www.xbox-attitude.com/news_affichage-7339-Videos_exclusives_de_Pro_Evolution_Soccer_4.html

Looks regrettably faster than WE8, though that may be the video and not the game. Not sure if they're PS2 or Xbox. Either way, allegedly they look very similar. The Xbox version may have a slight edge. Re: framerate - the PS2 version still has some kinks to work out, if they can in time.

The PS2 and Xbox versions ship Oct. 15 and Nov. 15 in Europe, respectively. The latter with Live support, of course.

Speaking of which, a video of the Live menu:

http://www.xbw.nl/media_file/226

The Ranking screen gave me a hard-on.

I suggest that everyone use this if you plan on playing online. It's an adaptor for a PS2 controller (otherwise the L2/R2 buttons are mapped to the white/black - blech) and supports the Live headset.

Solid

Wow, it looks teriffic! Can't wait to play this. It feels kinda sad leaving PES3 behind though... so much memories :(

Anyway, I see Totti has his socks down like he has IRL. Is that something you can edit on all player? I find that a cool feature :)

cja

Thanks Socreges, that French site has been doing a good job on PES Xbox coverage, think they got XBL confirmation pics first as well.

I suggest that everyone use this if you plan on playing online. It's an adaptor for a PS2 controller (otherwise the L2/R2 buttons are mapped to the white/black - blech) and supports the Live headset.
Agree with the need for a PS2 pad. Don't mind white being used for L2 (tactics) but the R2 (shimmy and slower run) has become essential. Haven't purchased a convertor yet though. Holding off on the chance some peripheral company will come up with a dedicated device configured correctly. The dreambox seems to have R2 and L2 mapped the wrong way around. I assume this can be changed in PES4 Xbox setup but that could be a costly assumption. The other possible problem could be lag which seems to be on a game to game basis.

In other PES related news a PS2 review copy was "released", so the dedicated sites now have plenty of impressions and media available. You can trust the Euro media to give the pirates an early copy :p

Not sure if the leaked copy is final or just a very late beta (Owen in at Real Madrid but Rooney is not with United.. Konami promised up to date with the end of August deadline).

The yearly pesleague demo in the UK seems to have been delayed until release day (or canned altogether). Should have kept the demo distribtion with Game :\ . UK OPSM has a playable demo, "exclusive" first review, game guide booklet and poster with the next issue (street date October 11th).

Current release dates 15th October (PS2), 12th November (Xbox, PC). EA announced FIFA is released October 8th. PES4 has supposedly been manufactured so there is a chance Konami may match EA's date, it has happened before. 12th November is the day after Halo 2, will Xbox Live cope?!

cja

KarishBHR said:
Just tell me what B says so I dont have to register
Need a modded Xbox, use configmagic to change region to PAL, then switch-off the modchip so you can play on Live.

There is the possibility the game will be region-free anyway, just have to wait and see on that.

cja

Socreges said:
Looks regrettably faster than WE8, though that may be the video and not the game.
A comparison at evo-web (copied the whole thing since the site needs registration).:

PES4 vs WE8 - brief comparison

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't mistake me: I'm one of those hardcore WE followers. In my opinion WE always was above the PES release, in something not much understandable for me.

For the first time I think PES is well ahead of WE. Maybe it's due to WE major flaws in terms of bugs and fluidity but PES leaves a "cleaner" feeling, instead of the downgrading feeling it uses to leave.

More Arcadey?

I don't think so. PES3 was surely more arcadey than WE7 mainly due not only to speed increase but also to other details like easier dribbling and dumber defending. This time I don't see that. Surely the game is a bit faster than WE8 (IMO welcomed change), but I don't see "easiness" coming my way in terms of easier dribbling and sloppier defending. It's mainly a more speedy WE8.

Graphics

A lot sharper. Looks as if WE8 had some kind of filter and they removed it. I think editing work will look better in PES, unless a probable WE8Int/FE takes the same step. It's strange cause usually WE version looked sharper than the euro version, but this time it's the other way around.

I don't wanna bet but I think I also saw some different hairstyles, and some looks are really impressive in terms of realism.

Also the grass... I was dispaired with some of the WE8 turfs.. they seemed to have tweaked some of them for PES4 (although I still have to check the disgusting "Dome" stadium to see if they mended that one).

Stuttering

I saw ALMOST none. I still got a little bit of it very ocasionaly, but hardly anything noticeable. I didn't think the stuttering was that influential in WE8 but... a product were I had to use appearance options and pick stadiums? spare me. The game should be playable as it is, and in that sense PES4 is a finished product, WE8 wasn't.

Overall Opinion

If a little more speed is something you welcome or are ready to cope then go for PES4 untill news arrive, cause this time, for the first time in my 10+ experience of WE vs European version (ISS Pro Evos, PES, etc) battle, it's european version taking the prize.
Never understood the historic WE preference that this guy and so many others display. Perhaps they're genuinely onto something, personally believe its just BS elitism that comes from being able to play a slightly different version

Socreges

Banned
cja said:
Never understood the historic WE preference that this guy and so many others display. Perhaps they're genuinely onto something, personally believe its just BS elitism that comes from being able to play a slightly different version
As someone who plays each version each year, they are "on to something". PES is often a step back from WE. Generally because of an increase in speed -- in turn, losing game balance.

Though I don't understand how he can say "PES is well ahead of WE" and then go on to give so little evidence. Still, I'm relieved that there have been such positive impressions so far considering that I plan on buying an Xbox for PES4 (if lag is bearable).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Xbox version might be region free, but i doubt it, i'll check in my NTSC box when i get it.

Prine

Banned
I heard MS did all the online work for Konami.

Just one of the reasons why Xbox fans love Microsoft. They listen

Dujour

Banned
Wow, if you don't click any links and read the thread, you'd have absolutely no idea what this is about. At least in the first post, try no to abbreviate everything! I should have clicked that link first, though. :p

/me shuts the hell up.

cja

Socreges said:
As someone who plays each version each year, they are "on to something". PES is often a step back from WE. Generally because of an increase in speed -- in turn, losing game balance.

Though I don't understand how he can say "PES is well ahead of WE" and then go on to give so little evidence. Still, I'm relieved that there have been such positive impressions so far considering that I plan on buying an Xbox for PES4 (if lag is bearable).
The extra pace is my preference. The speed of a real game at professional level is frighteningly high and you only ever appreciate this if you're sat in the first few rows at a game. Winning Eleven to me seems more of a pedestrian, idealist, for telly watchers experience. The work-rate, closing down, pace and magnification of mistakes doesn't seem to be as well addressed in the Winning Eleven games I've tried (admittedly my WE experience on PS2 has been limited and haven't played WE8 at all).

I agree the extra pace lessens PES's balance, but I'd put this down to KCET doing a quickie new version, if they fundamentally looked at creating a pacier game then balance wouldn't be a problem. PES2 is the only version I'd say overcompensated for pace, Babangida was a mainstay of early Master League for this one attribute alone! On the flipside it is ridiculous that a sluggish centre-halve has a chance at getting back to tackle a Henry, especially at an angle to the goal.

A response to the above quote comparing WE8 with PES4 for those without evo-web forum access, this time comparing WE8 with PES4 PS2 and PES4 Xbox beta:

I would just add to your post that shooting is better than in WE8, ball feels right, it's heavy and the right size compared to PES3, which had tiny one that felt too baloony.
Animations are just outstanding, and again, those little things make this game even better.
Game is "harder" than WE8, AI has been tweaked.

In terms of speed, Xbox version is a bit slower than PS2 at the moment. I say at the moment because I have a pleasure of playing 80% finished version, and Konami is well known for changing (read:screwing up) things at the last minute.

What is inevitable, you start LOVING this game all the way from the start, there is no first disappointing impression as was with PES3.

and when queried on if he had an Xbox version (1) and how it compared to the PS2 (2):
1) I'm assigned to review Xbox version, whilst my collegue is doing PS2. Xbox version is 80% finished, but I have no idea about PS2. I know it's beta version and most probably that's what everybody is playing at the moment on this forum.

2) YES, it looks sharper and plays a lot smoother. There is no slowdown whatsoever. Graphics are clear, crisp with more vibrant colours. It defenetly looks better than PS2 version.
It plays awesome, just like PES should be. It is a bit slower than PS2 version but except that, it is pretty much the same in terms of gameplay. There are still few "bugs" such as ball goes through the post sometimes (Very rarely though), but as I said, it is not finished game. There is plenty of time to fix everything. You won't be disappointed at all as this will probably be the best version this year. Whilst PC and PS2 are offline, Xbox is online playable. That said, this 80% version is not online playable, it stops after you choose teams and start the mach, probably because they left this feature for the end. Also, transfers are not completed. It's looking and playing great so far.

drool, fap, froth.

Socreges

Banned
cja said:
The extra pace is my preference. The speed of a real game at professional level is frighteningly high and you only ever appreciate this if you're sat in the first few rows at a game. Winning Eleven to me seems more of a pedestrian, idealist, for telly watchers experience. The work-rate, closing down, pace and magnification of mistakes doesn't seem to be as well addressed in the Winning Eleven games I've tried (admittedly my WE experience on PS2 has been limited and haven't played WE8 at all).

I agree the extra pace lessens PES's balance, but I'd put this down to KCET doing a quickie new version, if they fundamentally looked at creating a pacier game then balance wouldn't be a problem. PES2 is the only version I'd say overcompensated for pace, Babangida was a mainstay of early Master League for this one attribute alone!
Understand that we agree. I never thought that a faster game necessarily made for a worse game, but it's always screwed with the balance. That it doesn't in PES4 - excellent.

Still, I always play both series extensively (for instance, WE7 - PES3) and never find WE to be "sluggish". I think it's appropriate. Whereas in PES games, including what I've seen of PES4, the players don't necessarily run too fast, but their agility is a little unrealistic.
On the flipside it is ridiculous that a sluggish centre-halve has a chance at getting back to tackle a Henry, especially at an angle to the goal.
That's not because of the speed, but again, balance. They didn't tweak acceleration and speed properly. Wasn't proportionate to the stats. That was a problem in both WE7 and PES3.

Top Bottom