• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Beta and Information Thread [Open Beta Live Now]

Midou

Best part is that Jeff seems to love it instead of just sighing a lot like he usually does.

I'm kind of hoping this can give the game a bit more exposure, there are quite a few people on giantbomb. I know it can't effect the localization or anything, but Jeff's positive opinions should hopefully get people trying the game.

The original release of PSO did not have any pvp it was the ultimate release I think or ep II which added it, one of those. The big problem was that the game was never made or designed for it so no strafing and being hit stunned by nearly everything made it way too broken, rangers had a field day just shooting from range at a hunter.

At least they added it I guess, it was just rather pointless.

So... the patch doesn't resume when you cancel the download.

How big is it, anyway?

I've heard the patch is in the neighborhood of 3 GB. If you're having trouble downloading it, you can try this suggestion from several pages back:

If for some reason you need to reinstall the game, I'd just download the nearly 5 gb folder, copy it to the Sega folder, and run the launcher again (got the file from PSO-world):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_QzBMicjmQwRS10SkcyaEh4NXM/edit

Saved me a lot of time when I was trying to setup the game at my cousin's PC (and I had time to do a quick forest run before I had to leave).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I hate that we can't play now. Geez, wasn't addicted to a game this way since... Ragnarok Online I guess?

I hate that we can't play now. Geez, wasn't addicted to a game this way since... Ragnarok Online I guess?

If work doesn't keep me late into the night, I'm probably going to be spending some time in the character creator remaking my very first PSO character (a HUnewearl). Some friends are firmly entrenched in Ship08 and if they don't allow characters to jump ships at will I'm going to end up buying a second character to join them if they continue playing into release.

Raide

With SEGA Euro etc going all over the place, do people think that makes the chances of it appearing on EU shores even less likely now?

With SEGA Euro etc going all over the place, do people think that makes the chances of it appearing on EU shores even less likely now?

Isn't Sega Europe being all over the place more to do with dismantling their retail distribution, while they increase their focus on digital?

Raide

Isn't Sega Europe being all over the place more to do with dismantling their retail distribution, while they increase their focus on digital?

They said they would focus around their main 4 IP's. Not sure where that puts PSO2 tbh. Since nothing has been said outside of Japan, I wonder what is going to happen.

ezodagrom

They said they would focus around their main 4 IP's. Not sure where that puts PSO2 tbh. Since nothing has been said outside of Japan, I wonder what is going to happen.
They said that for Retail they would only have releases from the main IPs, but they said that they're going to have a bigger focus on digital releases than retail releases, and PSO2 is a digital release.

And when are they increasing level cap?
The level cap is going to be increased to 40 when the game reaches release version, that is, when the open beta ends.
After that it'll be increased in updates, and they plan to update the game at least once a month (no idea what type of updates there will be, or how big they'll be though, most likely the level cap will not be increased in every update also).

Pietepiet

They said a focus on their 4 IPs PLUS Digital Download titles. PSO2 is Digital Download.
Also, if it comes out in America, who really cares what happens to Europe as long as the servers are open?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The level cap is going to be increased to 40 when the game reaches release version, that is, when the open beta ends.
After that it'll be increased in updates, and they plan to update the game at least once a month (no idea what type of updates there will be, or how big they'll be though, most likely the level cap will not be increased in every update also).
Sigh, I was sue that the level cap will be 50. Hope those 10 levels won't be as fast as 20-30, since getting to the cap makes the game a bit less exciting.
Yes, I know it sounds stupid and I'd never imagined I'll be sad about hitting max level too soon, but seeing that "EXP FULL" is really depressing.

Something I've forgotten to watch for - is there an exp penalty for dying like there was in PSOBB? That game was really unforgiving with deaths, especially when you get past the level 100 mark...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Something I've forgotten to watch for - is there an exp penalty for dying like there was in PSOBB? That game was really unforgiving with deaths, especially when you get past the level 100 mark...
There seems to be no penalty for death other than failing a quest (when dying during a boss fights alone/with NPCs) and a worse grade.

There seems to be no penalty for death other than failing a quest (when dying during a boss fights alone/with NPCs) and a worse grade.

And I presume this only applies if you return to the campship? I've definitely still ranked in with the maximum possible grade even in runs where I've had to have a Moon Atomizer/Scape Doll used on me or another party member.

Blueblur1

And I presume this only applies if you return to the campship? I've definitely still ranked in with the maximum possible grade even in runs where I've had to have a Moon Atomizer/Scape Doll used on me or another party member.
You are correct. Moon Atomizers and Scape Dolls preserve your rank.

The original release of PSO did not have any pvp it was the ultimate release I think or ep II which added it, one of those. The big problem was that the game was never made or designed for it so no strafing and being hit stunned by nearly everything made it way too broken, rangers had a field day just shooting from range at a hunter.

At least they added it I guess, it was just rather pointless.

In fact, that mode was added at V2, and it was broken by the Forces side.

You could just Grantz enemies to death. Or level 30 Shifta/Deband (buff) and Jellen/Zalure (debuff) to bring the enemy to his knees, or spam any desired tech. Forces were, by far, the most powerful class if not for the unbalanced enemy magic resist at ultimate mode.

V2 focused too much his love in hunters :/

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey, so I just read that this apparently has a code for an item inside? Is this hard to come by now, and if not would you be willing to buy up a few for people here?
It's not being sold anywhere near where I live and since Japan hates paypal I can't even use one for my account, sorry.
But yeah, there's a lv 1 ranger rifle code inside.

Buzzati

Banned
Compared to the original, the enemies just don't seem threatening enough and there is a lack of urgency to kill ordinary monsters. Still early, though.

So as promised, I spent some time with the character creator to remake my first ever PSO character, a HUnewearl:

pso20120628_211817_000.jpg

pso20120628_212239_008.jpg

Still not sold on the hairdo, might change it.

Hilariously, these were my only references: [PSU] [PSOBB 1] [PSOBB 2]

Compared to the original, the enemies just don't seem threatening enough and there is a lack of urgency to kill ordinary monsters. Still early, though.

Yeah, I'm hoping for a Delsaber equivalent in later areas. Delsabers (and Delbiters) still give me nightmares.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Shooting enemies on the deserts and those wasp-like things feel threatening enough for me, especially on hard mode. If you let too many spawn, you're toast because of the attacks coming from all directions.

Mistle

Agreed. I really hope this changes further into the game. At the moment you can kind of auto-pilot through a level and never really feel like you're progressing. The areas all feel kind of the same from room to room, and apart from the rare big spawn, you don't really feel in danger. Without doors/locks and needing to clear rooms, there is a lack of incentive to kill enemies also, considering they're so easy.

In PSO the areas felt so much more unique. They changed theme/mood as you progressed and there were different landmarks and styled rooms that you'd remember so easily. In PSO2 everything kind of mashes into one big area and loses impact..

Enemies can feel dangerous in large packs. But no one enemy really poses a threat. Early days yet though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Without doors/locks and needing to clear rooms, there is a lack of incentive to kill enemies also, considering they're so easy.
You have to kill lots of them if you're going for an S rank for a CO though. :d

VariantX

I still can't quite grasp the balance between how many should I kill and how many should i skip past for trying to get those timed S-Ranks. Also doesn't help that the exit points on the mini map are the same color. The point you came in the area from should be colored red and the exits you didn't enter should be yellow.

I do want more emergency missions rolled back into old areas. Avoid is annoying but its annoying because it can kill you easy and I liked that they put it into "Caves"

At the beginning it seems really hard but once you know how to dodge and jump effectively, it becomes easy. Just tweaks on enemy spawns, making them spawn faster and more in a group would be a great improvement. In fact I think that is what "Elimination" in particular is trying to be. In caves even, you get surrounded by walls, just think if they spawned in a circle around your group rather than randomly placed.

For me, the difficulty highs are the Vol dragon, Rockbear and Ragne. Yeah, bosses as they should be. The desert boss seems half-baked, I almost feels like they should make that the mini-boss of that reg The bug enemy that spawns the Dagan's (dark bugs) is really hard for a very simple reason, they spawn enemies. Two at once can fill the screen with ten enemies very quickly.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I still can't quite grasp the balance between how many should I kill and how many should i skip past for trying to get those timed S-Ranks. Also doesn't help that the exit points on the mini map are the same color. The point you came in the area from should be colored red and the exits you didn't enter should be yellow.
True, it can be a bit misleading, especially if you're running around with an exp party.
Wrote an opinion ticket about that on the PSO2 site.

Used the time I can't play the actual game to write about it.
My overall PSO2 impressions. It's Polish only, but I've heard that using google translate to read those can be very entertaining.

Here's one of the early passages via Chrome translation, which is even flakier than what you'd get using Google Translate:

"Newman is a genetic hybrid, with the appearance of looking a bit like elves. Casci ... but they are robots. Works with a pretty good design should be added, I run the same one and never would not change it to something "meat". Theoretically, there are differences in the statistics, but quickly become blurred, so do not worry about them, selecting the class of the head."

VariantX

ah good, gonna get a couple of hours in before calling it a night

Edit: Finally, unlocked caves on my first attempt tonight....cleared it in 12:08

Mistle

So many people online!

If anybody wants to help me S rank the Caves boss in 15 min, I'm on block 23 in the party "neogaf". I wish I could invite NPCs but I have no friends/not sure how, lol

Top Bottom