• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

Plague Doctor

Gold Member
I mean I'd like to have some glimmer of hope (not for this game at all) that the stink of this shit is piling up so much in the last couple of years that the reeking stench is finally reaching the high heavens of out of touch C suite executives and investors. Especially now when other tangential DEI initiatives are getting them sued into oblivion in the HR sector.

Btw... that requires corporations to act on logic. They do not so... that aforementioned glimmer ain't so bright.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

No if they are smart they would cut the cord and get rid of them.

They made this game thinking it would be something people wanted to play, why would you let them anywhere near things that are actually successful?
Get rid of the upper management, and get the regular devs to do content support. Problem solved.

winjer

Considering how low the player count is already, people who buy this game might find problems finding full lobbies to play.
I would not be surprised if at full launch, the few people that bought this game, will be left waiting several minutes for a the matchmaking to find 2 full teams.
Depending on the region, there is a possibility that some people might not even find other players to play with.

TrebleShot

I think there's probably a significantly larger audience on PS5 than PC.

For every round I played on PC it was sort of 70/30 split between console and PC players.

Having said that the silver lining is if this flops we shouldn't hear too much guff about it in showcases.

You absolutely know this would replace destiny in the live service updates slot. Always bored me to death.

I think there is also a chance they decide to port this to Xbox at some point.

Last edited:
these population charts are brutal, I almost feel bad for them until I remember that character who’s pronouns are “undecided”.

I hope their other GaaS studios are seriously watching and actually include some cool and/or hot characters instead of ticking diversity boxes.

FewRope

just wait until the weekend...

...then the weekend concluded.

wlY1TL2.png
The people in charge of making this happening needs to be fire ASAP

Nydius

They’ll keep trying until they win

Helldivers 2 already covered the loss of this flop and then some

We trod this ground a few pages back but to recap: This is absolutely mental behavior. The kind of delusional thinking gambling addicts have as they blow all their cash because they’ll be fine if they just hit one jackpot.

Blowing hundreds of millions of dollars and years of development time on the hope that the next GaaS game is the one that finally “hits” is a recipe for complete disaster. That’s financial and opportunity cost flushed down the drain. GaaS is an extremely crowded market, it’s unlikely anything new is going to sway people from their established games.

Helldivers 2 is a bit of an outlier simply because it really didn’t have anything like it on the market. The closest is Destiny, but even that’s a completely different type of game.

I expect Marathon, if they keep it going after this, to follow the same fate as Concord. Another GaaS extraction shooter in a genre filled with F2P shooters?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
We trod this ground a few pages back but to recap: This is absolutely mental behavior. The kind of delusional thinking gambling addicts

It’s not gambling behavior.

VC firms have the same approach and it still tends to end up generating great returns

Even the overall stock market exhibits the same phenomenon. Only 4% of stocks generate all the returns

Shubh_C63

I expect Marathon, if they keep it going after this, to follow the same fate as Concord. Another GaaS extraction shooter in a genre filled with F2P shooters?
People should know by now to never bet against Bungie in the long run. They deliver when their ass is on the line every time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont play Bungie games (doesnt matter if Halo or Destiny), but going by track record they have a solid one. You hear and hit and miss DLC and them messing around with Destiny 2 DLC (I think something weird about pulling content forever or something), but just focusing on the core shooter games I'm pretty sure every one of them are bangers. Destiny 3 will be too. As for Marathon who knows. But probably at minimum pretty good. Hard to believe it'll bomb in sales or quality.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
You mean when the game is no longer free to try but people have to pay 40 bucks for it?

What do you think is going to happen, exactly?
Becoming one of the best selling titles on Playstation at launch

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I feel bad for the devs, no doubt a lot of them feel like the $40 entry point needs to go.

Rather than pull out like Joe, Sony needs to pivot to a F2P model for any chance to save it.
At this point despite low looking sales, might as well go through with it. Preorders are done and by now all the game discs are already printed and probably at warehouses already ready to go.

Make xxx millions in sales already in motion and then move it to F2P 2-3 months later. It might piss off the early adopter gamers, but at least theres a gap.

Like Pokey said they can go free to play but you still need players to buy shit and considering the aesthetics of this game nobody will.
If you're right then what you're suggesting is that they just cancel the game period and not even bother releasing it at that point. Might as well got FTP and try. Maybe you're right but they have to at least try the game is done and ready to go.

clarky

Gold Member
Absolutely, but never suggested they shouldn't just that whatever they do the game is fucked imo.

Edit : M mayham2199 missed off the quote.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
Can't shutter a GAAS studio in the age of GAAS.

They don't matter.

It is all about gameplay & progression, two things Concord fails at. When a game fails, everyone can come out of the woodworks claiming it was for X specific reason.

When people play Chess, nobody cares what the pieces look like, only that all the pieces are in the box.

See I don't agree with that.
While yes of course the gameplay of chess is the most important part, I think the theming of the game isn't irrelevant.
The idea that it represents a battle of sorts with towers, knights and kings was probably a relevant factor in getting people interested in it. More so than if it had been, I don't know, a game themed around vegetables. My knight taking out your tower is inherently more exciting and appealing than my carrot beating your cabbage.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
See I don't agree with that.
While yes of course the gameplay of chess is the most important part, I think the theming of the game isn't irrelevant.
Then explain CSGO, Roblox, League of Legends, Rust, Fortnite, Among Us, Lethal Company etc?

You couldn't line up the art and character models from multiplayer games and coorelate success to them the way you could with single player games.

I think what's happening is SP gamers, who value art, are making comments on a type of game they share no interest in. Theming might not be "irrelevant"...but it's pretty darn close.

Fbh

Gold Member
Then explain CSGO, Roblox, League of Legends, Rust, Fortnite, Among Us, Lethal Company etc?

You couldn't line up the art and character models from multiplayer games and coorelate success to them the way you could with single player games.

I think what's happening is SP gamers, who value art, are making comments on a type of game they share no interest in. Theming might not be "irrelevant"...but it's pretty darn close.

All of those, except maybe Roblox, have way more appealing art styles and characters than Concord.
League of Legends in particular has basically based their entire business model on appealing characters .

sun-drop

what has everyone found an effective crew stack ? i tend to go into matches with the rocket launcher chick, to get a movement buff, then follow up with the army dude and the knife guy to get some range and stability ... then just go ham with it-Z .. im pretty much dominating rounds by the end

Top Bottom