• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

Xdefiant, Apex, Warframe, Warzone, Paladins for a start.
I've played XDefiant until level 44? and it sucks. Terrible characters, terrible net code. Apex is BR (yes it has other modes now but it still sucks because it ain't TF3), Warzone is BR, Paladins is affiliated with HiRez who abandoned the Tribes IP so they suck.... next?

Last edited:
They're still better than Concord.
Nah. The only one I haven't played out of that list is Paladins and that's because of HiRez. I'd never give them anything after how they treated the Tribes IP. Now that is a shooter that was better than all of these wannabes.

Paladins is a shooter.
Yea I was thinking of SMITE, my bad. But still affiliated with HiRez and yea they are dodgy AF.

Edit - Also a quick look at Paladins characters and... they're absolutely no better than what is in Concord.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony don't even need this game, they have the moderately successful Helldivers 2 already, Concord is just going to go straight on the Foamstars scrap heap and that's without Valorant and Marvel Rivals releasing.

And they have another how many of these in the pipeline? RIP.
I think it was 12. But I forget what the slide or articles said.

I remember Bungie games didnt count in the total since Sony hadnt even bought Bungie yet.

I dont remember which games counted as GAAS or not. So I'm not sure if something like MLB The Show even counts, counts as 1 only or counts as 3 games since it's annual. I'd assume it counts as 1. But maybe as an existing game it doesnt count.

That Deviation Games game which got shut down might count as negative 1.

But so far,

H2
Concord
Fairgames
Deviation Games cancelled game

I forget what else that would count

Last edited:

PeteBull

What are the "better F2P games" that everyone keeps mentioning? The only better multiplayer F2P games that I can think of are THE FINALS, Valorant and maybe CS. I've tried most of them and the rest aren't worth mentioning.
Not a gaas player here for the most part but similar games with more fame- overwatch2, apex legends, both free

I remember Bungie games didnt count in the total since Sony hadnt even bought Bungie yet.

I dont remember which games counted as GAAS or not. So I'm not sure if something like MLB The Show even counts, counts as 1 only or counts as 3 games since it's annual. I'd assume it counts as 1. But maybe as an existing game it doesnt count.

But so far,

H2
Concord
Fairgames

They cancelled a MP Horizon game (there were two in the pipeline. Now only one, a game also for mobiles)

Also, London Studios, that was making another edgy turd.

Killjoy-NL

But so far,

H2
Concord
Fairgames

What people should remember is that Jim Ryan stated they know not all 12 would be a success (which would incl possible cancellations).

People acting like Sony is clueless or naive enough to think all those games will sell millions are ignoring that Sony seems pretty realistic on the matter.

Elios83

The open beta numbers are bad on Steam.
General impressions are "it's good but not unique enough to distinguish itself on the market".
I guess that after the beta they will internally decide if it's necessary to change course with better marketing, switch to F2P and PS+ or simply proceed with what they had in mind regardless.
Sony has openly stated that they know it's unlikely that all their gaas initiatives will stick, it's the nature of that market, a game can be good but if it doesn't click it's over. The goal is to have something that sticks and becomes a significant and stable revenues stream for them.

Last edited:

hlm666

Sony don't even need this game, they have the moderately successful Helldivers 2 already
Well they better do something with this because it's declining aswell, after all the crap with it passing palworld on steam after release it's now at like ~75 on steams most played list and about 1/2 of palworlds player count and helldivers has battlepasses to sell while palword doesn't.

I don't think Sony need devs to help build them gaas games, they need people who can maintain them when they get a success or something. It feels like even helldivers 2 has been mismanaged, it's shouldn't be below some of the shit above it.

Killjoy-NL

Well they better do something with this because it's declining aswell, after all the crap with it passing palworld on steam after release it's now at like ~75 on steams most played list and about 1/2 of palworlds player count and helldivers has battlepasses to sell while palword doesn't.

I don't think Sony need devs to help build them gaas games, they need people who can maintain them when they get a success or something. It feels like even helldivers 2 has been mismanaged, it's shouldn't be below some of the shit above it.
I dont think Arrowhead and Sony were even prepared for the succes of Helldivers 2.
That might be part of the reason why they're slow on support.

Anyway, just left the official Concord Discord. Those Woke idiots are insufferable. Lol

If Firewalk is like that as well, there is nothing they're going to do to course-correct.

I'll see what happens. There's other stuff to play as well.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As a male feminist, I really love the pretentious female characters (I am allowing myself to assume their gender). It hits a nerve in a way I never assumed possible - well done.
As a fellow male feminist I agree, they did a phenomenal job of subverting the male gaze and punishing their audience. I bet my polyamorous girlfriend won’t even shame me for playing it.

Why did Sony fund this instead of a new Warhawk, SOCOM, or Killzone? Doesn't make any sense.

I mean seriously, a trend chasing hero shooter in 2024? Its like 6 years past the prime of that genre and with the Steam numbers we are seeing this game is DOA (as I expected tbh).

Sony has a rich history of multiplayer games, why wouldn't they fund something in its own niche, where there aren't a half dozen other games like it still around and another two dozen that failed?

Warhawk, a large scale Battlefield-like but with old school arcade shooter mechanics. SOCOM, a small scale hardcore tactical third-person shooter. Killzone, a medium scale traditional FPS. MAG, a very large scale multi-team objective based FPS.

But instead we've got this.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Why did Sony fund this instead of a new Warhawk, SOCOM, or Killzone? Doesn't make any sense.

I mean seriously, a trend chasing hero shooter in 2024? Its like 6 years past the prime of that genre and with the Steam numbers we are seeing this game is DOA (as I expected tbh).

Sony has a rich history of multiplayer games, why wouldn't they fund something in its own niche, where there aren't a half dozen other games like it still around and another two dozen that failed?

Warhawk, a large scale Battlefield-like but with old school arcade shooter mechanics. SOCOM, a small scale hardcore tactical third-person shooter. Killzone, a medium scale traditional FPS. MAG, a very large scale multi-team objective based FPS.

But instead we've this.

Those shooters are too manly for 2024 standards

clarky

Gold Member
The open beta numbers are bad on Steam.
General impressions are "it's good but not unique enough to distinguish itself on the market".
I guess that after the beta they will internally decide if it's necessary to change course with better marketing, switch to F2P and PS+ or simply proceed with what they had in mind regardless.
Sony has openly stated that they know it's unlikely that all their gaas initiatives will stick, it's the nature of that market, a game can be good but if it doesn't click it's over. The goal is to have something that sticks and becomes a significant and stable revenues stream for them.

General impressions lie between bad and ok.

Killjoy-NL

Which studios are supposed to develop them?

Icognito Entertainment and Zipper Interactive don't exist anymore.

Only Guerrilla, but they're already working a couple of projects, one which was rumored to be a Killzone game at some point.

Apart from GG and Insomniac, Sony didn't have multiplayer studios anymore and the ones they acquired, like Bungie and Firewalk already had something in the works.

Last edited:

ergem

Concord devs helping on helldivers 2 would be a reason Sony bought them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sure, but that's what people are asking for.

high quality GIF

Killjoy-NL

People want singleplayer games, right?

The ones that sell are Horizon, Spiderman, God of War, Uncharted and TLOU. Games like that.

Games like Returnal and Rise of the Ronin barely sold?
Stellar Blade maybe sold decently for the kind of game it is, but with 1M sales it's not something noteworthy.

So, if people wish for Sony to just focus on singleplayer, you get less games and the ones that do get focused on are games like Horizon.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is 100% getting delayed or canned onut they might just send it to die. I'm surprised they will even attempt to release it and charge people 40 dollars for a game that you will be queuing 3 to 5 minutes, maybe more to get a match.

La bomba

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member

But instead we've got this.
This is why

Sony just doesn't have the studios anymore to develop those games.

That's why they are investing heavily into Gaas, they need studios.

I don't mean Sony in particular. Games like Foamstars, Bleeding Edge, Concord, Hyenas, Destruction All-Stars, etc. share a visual code and vibes. They feel like the product of a bunch of 55-year-old execs trying to figure out what teenagers like nowadays.

Fbh

Gold Member
Why can't people state the obvious. The characters are the main reason why people don't give a shit about this game.

Some of us did. And we were told they don't matter and it's all just about the gameplay and once the beta was out people would forget about the characters.

Now lo and behold, it turns out when you make a character based game with characters that no one likes, it doesn't do well.
It's almost like the vast majority of popular character based games (be it hero shooters, mobas or fighting games) having compelling casts of characters was a hint

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Why can't people state the obvious. The characters are the main reason why people don't give a shit about this game.

Sony forgot about the rule of cool and it's biting them in the ass in a catastrophic way.

Doesn't even matter if your game is good - if your characters are shit and generate negative emotions with players, your game is done. People in general don't enjoy looking at ugly things. Let alone spending actual money on it. If your game has unappealing characters, it's over.

Who knew?

Sony forgot about the rule of cool and it's biting them in the ass in a catastrophic way.

Doesn't even matter if your game is good - if your characters are shit and generate negative emotions with players, your game is done. People in general don't enjoy looking at ugly things. Let alone spending actual money on it. If your game has unappealing characters, it's over.

Who knew?

As someone who suffers from fatphobia. It's incredibly triggering to see something like this roaming the battlefield

FxLxCeq.png

Zannegan

Since the game has a price tag and is available at stores, who knows how many copies it'll sell. But at this point, might as well just go through with it and make back XXX millions of sales. If this game sells lets say 500,000 copies grand total across PS/PC digital downloads and all the copies stores have as shelf and warehouse inventory, you never know. My random 500,000 sales might even be understated. Some games which sell hardly anything end up selling enough to scrape up 1M sales sometimes when you read about it.

So at $30-40 revenue per copy sold (Steam/retail sale or direct PS digital sale) x copies sold = it might end up making $10s of millions of revenue. Better than $0. Reap in as much sales as possible and shut down servers if player count is that bad a year later. Done. Also, the game launches in a month. Discs are already pressed and probably at distribution warehouses on skids ready to ship to stores soon anyway. So the sunk cost is already there..... unless they want to do an NBA Elite 2011 and cancel the game and ship back discs.

But if this game was F2P and truly a guaranteed disaster, then ya. Maybe shut it down asap because there's no price tag attached to every copy played.
I dunno. With numbers this low, it seema like the tax writeoff from cancelling it would be "worth" more to Sony than sales revenue. The game was in development for six years, right?

Killjoy-NL

I dunno. With numbers this low, it seema like the tax writeoff from cancelling it would be "worth" more to Sony than sales revenue. The game was in development for six years, right?
The studio was founded in 2018.
Starting from somewhere in 2021, there was a collab between Sony and Firewalks parent company.
Sony acquired Firewalk in 2023.

Who knows how much Sony invested and what their expectations for the game are.
They probably won't be happy with the current situation.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
As someone who suffers from fatphobia. It's incredibly triggering to see something like this roaming the battlefield

FxLxCeq.png

What the fuck were they thinking, seriously.

"Hey look everybody: we have fat people, and they/them people, and characters with purple hair, and not one not two but three sassy black ladies to choose from (obviously they have either dreadlocks or an afro because duh that's mandatory), and everyone has pronouns"

Well guess what you dumb assholes, people who care about stupid shit like this don't play videogames. And people who don't care about stupid shit like this don't want to play your videogame.

So what's the endgame here, exactly? What is the business model? The design philosophy? What did they think was going to happen with a roster like this?

I'd give anything to be in the internal meetings where this was discussed.

concord-concord-ps5.gif

This is aids.

Luipadre

What the fuck were they thinking, seriously.

"Hey look everybody: we have fat people, and they/them people, and characters with purple hair, and not one not two but three sassy black ladies to choose from (obviously they have either dreadlocks or an afro because duh that's mandatory), and everyone has pronouns"

Well guess what you dumb assholes, people who care about stupid shit like this don't play videogames. And people who don't care about stupid shit like this don't want to play your videogame.

So what's the endgame here, exactly? What is the business model? The design philosophy? What did they think was going to happen with a roster like this?

I'd give anything to be in the internal meetings where this was discussed.

concord-concord-ps5.gif

This is aids.

Not to mention they only recorded 1 stupid cringe line for character selection. Who thought its gonna be a good idea listening to that shit after every death. Atleast record 2-3 more lines

Top Bottom