• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord real open beta is live

PeteBull

Depends on what their expectations are.

If they anticipated this to some extent, it might not even be as bad as we think it is.
We don't even know if they expected this to be a big title either, because it never seemed like it was supposed to be.

But no doubt that there will be a lot that'll be discussed.
Even if their sole expectation was to push woke agenda, it failed terribly coz its such a tiny number of players that played it, not to mention reccuperating cost/making cash after supposed 6 fucking years of development, hopefully heads at the top gonna fall :p

Killjoy-NL

Even if their sole expectation was to push woke agenda, it failed terribly coz its such a tiny number of players that played it, not to mention reccuperating cost/making cash after supposed 6 fucking years of development, hopefully heads at the top gonna fall :p
Sure, if a game flops, that should be logical.

Their random character generator made Teo look like Cutter Slade in Outcast.

I don’t plan to get it just cause I don’t like hero shooters enough to spend money on them. I’ve played a little Paladins and Rogue Company with friends but that’s it.

clarky

Gold Member
YKUGs5g.jpeg

Lol yeah, the only thing that changed was the color palette.

Which brings us back to the talking point of the color palette of Concord.
You think the only thing that is different between those images is the colour pallet?

What the fuck were they thinking, seriously.

"Hey look everybody: we have fat people, and they/them people, and characters with purple hair, and not one not two but three sassy black ladies to choose from (obviously they have either dreadlocks or an afro because duh that's mandatory), and everyone has pronouns"

Well guess what you dumb assholes, people who care about stupid shit like this don't play videogames. And people who don't care about stupid shit like this don't want to play your videogame.

So what's the endgame here, exactly? What is the business model? The design philosophy? What did they think was going to happen with a roster like this?

I'd give anything to be in the internal meetings where this was discussed.

concord-concord-ps5.gif

This is aids.

Fuck off, the cat’s awesome

Killjoy-NL

You think the only thing that is different between those images is the colour pallet?
When it comes to the whining? For sure.

Or are we going to act like people didnt whine about similar things for an entire gen?
Everyone was whining about military shooters and COD clones and dudebro vibes. Lol

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
When it comes to the whining? For sure.

Or are we going to act like people didnt whine about similar things for an entire gen?
Everyone was whining about military shooters and COD clones and dudebro vibes. Lol
Who mentioned whining until you just then>?

Edit :NVM i see it now

Last edited:
I also think, if SIE were smart, they'd get the Concord devs on as support studio for Helldivers 2 content working alongside Arrowhead. Let's face it, the chances SIE (or anyone else, for that matter) hit lightning in a bottle like Helldivers 2 over the course of this gen are very, very slim. Every single other one of SIE's GAAS titles could bomb, that's how little chance there is for them to get another HD2 moment.

HD2 is still a fairly popular game with a decently-sized player base on Steam and certainly PS5; at this point SIE need to stop cutting one GAAS's prospects for another that turns out to be DOA like Concord. They already have their potential long-term GAAS success in Helldivers 2; help Arrowhead get big content updates out, add PvP, add new mechanics and cosmetics. Concord isn't going to be salvageable, most likely, but Firewalk clearly have talent in creating assets and whatnot. So let them be a support studio on Helldivers 2 while Arrowhead commandeers creative and lore choices.

Yes the PSN situation with HD2 on PC is an issue but SIE just have to accept that missed their chance to tie PSN requirements to HD2 by removing the requirement at launch and months afterwards. Ghosts of Tsushima clearly shows Steam users don't have a problem with PSN if it's there from the get-go. The most they can hope with Helldivers 2 is incentivize PC players to opt-in for a PSN account via perks and whatnot.

My main point being, SIE need to recognize that they still have something special with Helldivers 2, they have something with legacy IP that could expand to Helldivers 2 with cosmetics & weapons like Killzone, SOCOM, etc. Hell, Helldivers 2 could become their "platform" for other stuff like Killzone, SOCOM, Warhawk etc. content the way Fortnite has become a platform for Epic. And over time, SIE could bring back proper new entries of Killzone, SOCOM etc. whether as traditional games or GAAS. They shouldn't even go forward with Fairgame$ unless they can ensure it avoids all the problems Concord's had, which means the character designs need to be on point. No DaVeers, Bazzs or Daws allowed.

Otherwise? Just cancel that game too, and put Haven as another support studio on Helldivers 2. And maybe for future GAAS, steer away from the shooter market. It's saturated enough as-is.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

they sold well tho, now u got purple shooters that dont sell well, lets see how it goes further ;D
What makes you think I care about purple games selling or not?

Just pointing out that times werent that different.

Edit:

Btw you forgot Fortnite and COD amongst the purple games.🙃

Last edited:
I also think, if SIE were smart, they'd get the Concord devs on as support studio for Helldivers 2 content working alongside Arrowhead. Let's face it, the chances SIE (or anyone else, for that matter) hit lightning in a bottle like Helldivers 2 over the course of this gen are very, very slim. Every single other one of SIE's GAAS titles could bomb, that's how little chance there is for them to get another HD2 moment.

HD2 is still a fairly popular game with a decently-sized player base on Steam and certainly PS5; at this point SIE need to stop cutting one GAAS's prospects for another that turns out to be DOA like Concord. They already have their potential long-term GAAS success in Helldivers 2; help Arrowhead get big content updates out, add PvP, add new mechanics and cosmetics. Concord isn't going to be salvageable, most likely, but Firewalk clearly have talent in creating assets and whatnot. So let them be a support studio on Helldivers 2 while Arrowhead commandeers creative and lore choices.
Don't let them anywhere near Helldivers.

clarky

Gold Member

Edit:

COD tastes the rainbow from time to time, but i'd hardly call it Woke. Can't comment on Fortnite as i've never played it but i thought that game was just cartoony and aimed at the kids?

Killjoy-NL

COD tastes the rainbow from time to time, but i'd hardly call it Woke. Can't comment on Fortnite as i've never played it but i thought that game was just cartoony and aimed at the kids?
I didnt even really took the comparison as something Woke-related, tbh.
Thought it was about the colors primarily.

Not sure what makes you guys think my stance on Woke is different from yours anyway?

Last edited:

PeteBull

Edit:

Didnt touch fortnite even once coz i dont like the genre, but spent solid few hours watching some top streamers just so i know how gameplay/highh lvl playing loop looks like, every1 knows cod so no need to mention it, concord was way more woke than both of them together afaik, with its pronouns/dei stuff, so fk it, let it die/burn hard ;D

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I can just see them “oh we loooove Helldivers 2 but modern audiences are diverse, we can really expand the appeal by cramming it full of Black Girl Magic and queerness”

6 months later: “why did Helldivers 2 die? Must be because of the CHUDS. Hey Hermen, got any other studios in need of our expertise?”

Killjoy-NL

Didnt touch fortnite even once coz i dont like the genre, but spent solid few hours watching some top streamers just so i know how gameplay/highh lvl playing loop looks like, every1 knows cod so no need to mention it, concord was way more woke than both of them together afaik, with its pronouns/dei stuff, so fk it, let it die/burn hard ;D
Caveh Zahedi What GIF by Eternal Family

GHG

Gold Member

Yes the PSN situation with HD2 on PC is an issue but SIE just have to accept that missed their chance to tie PSN requirements to HD2 by removing the requirement at launch and months afterwards. Ghosts of Tsushima clearly shows Steam users don't have a problem with PSN if it's there from the get-go. The most they can hope with Helldivers 2 is incentivize PC players to opt-in for a PSN account via perks and whatnot.

My main point being, SIE need to recognize that they still have something special with Helldivers 2, they have something with legacy IP that could expand to Helldivers 2 with cosmetics & weapons like Killzone, SOCOM, etc. Hell, Helldivers 2 could become their "platform" for other stuff like Killzone, SOCOM, Warhawk etc. content the way Fortnite has become a platform for Epic. And over time, SIE could bring back proper new entries of Killzone, SOCOM etc. whether as traditional games or GAAS. They shouldn't even go forward with Fairgame$ unless they can ensure it avoids all the problems Concord's had, which means the character designs need to be on point. No DaVeers, Bazzs or Daws allowed.

Otherwise? Just cancel that game too, and put Haven as another support studio on Helldivers 2. And maybe for future GAAS, steer away from the shooter market. It's saturated enough as-is.

No if they are smart they would cut the cord and get rid of them.

They made this game thinking it would be something people wanted to play, why would you let them anywhere near things that are actually successful?

clarky

Gold Member

They made this game thinking it would be something people wanted to play, why would you let them anywhere near things that are actually successful?
Hire this man.

PeteBull

Exactly, they will only poison good product with their rotten vision, not talking about programers here but definitely heads of the studio/ppl in power/ones who decided on how concord was gonna be- those guys cant be trusted with lemonade stand, coz after 2 seconds they will ask ppl for their pronouns, not to mention AAA game(100m+ usd project).

nial

I think it was 12. But I forget what the slide or articles said.

I remember Bungie games didnt count in the total since Sony hadnt even bought Bungie yet.

I dont remember which games counted as GAAS or not. So I'm not sure if something like MLB The Show even counts, counts as 1 only or counts as 3 games since it's annual. I'd assume it counts as 1. But maybe as an existing game it doesnt count.

That Deviation Games game which got shut down might count as negative 1.

But so far,

H2
Concord
Fairgames
Deviation Games cancelled game

I forget what else that would count
I explained it here (with updated information):
It was 12 GaaS series, with Horizon having 2 games in development (the Guerrilla and NCSoft ones), and MLB The Show obviously getting new titles each year.
So far, we know they cancelled games of 5 different series,
The Last of Us Online
Twisted Metal
London Studio's new IP
Deviation's new IP
Insomniac's Spider-Verse project

which would lower the number to 7.
MLB The Show
Helldivers
Concord
Fairgame$
Horizon
Neon Koi's new IP for mobile
Bend Studio's new IP

We knew about Bend's GAAS project a while after I made this post.
Keep in mind that not every MP game is considered GAAS, such as Destruction AllStars, Gran Turismo 7, Firewall Ultra and Convallaria.
They cancelled a MP Horizon game (there were two in the pipeline. Now only one, a game also for mobiles)

Also, London Studios, that was making another edgy turd.
Source? Last I checked, both the Guerrilla and NCSoft ones were still in development.

Last edited:
I wonder if at Sony HQ in Japan if they saw the character models, winced, and then asked, "Are we absolutely sure Westerners like fat bitches? Can we double check that data?"

We do like thick womminz, but they still need shape. Being a dwarf planet isn't the same thing.

I dunno. My only guess is that Sony sees these projects as long-term investments.
For whatever reason, Sony has seen something in Firewalk and their project.
Same as Bungie and Fairgame$.

Another thing to keep in mind is that MS has started buying up major publishers and Sony made it clear that they want to be less reliant on 3rd party as a result.
For that, they would need Gaas as well. This is on top of various other reasons, mostly related with increasing revenue.

They could have made a wrong call by letting Concord go on, but nobody can deny the production value and level of polish, so maybe that's ultimately what Sony was after.

Well yeah, a big reason Sony are pushing for GAAS is to be less reliant on 3P, but I think it might be shortsighted of them to think only GAAS can provide that independence from them. They have taken to GAAS because they are supposedly cheaper to make than AAA traditional games, and have more monetization options due to MTX.

But to me that's the easy way out. The preferred way would be to see how to keep investments prioritized to the bread-and-butter while cutting out excess costs. It's something Totoki talked about months ago, finding ways to reign in costs for AAA development without sacrificing on expectations. If the main costs for AAA games are things like content production, I dunno why SIE don't take studios like Firewalk and just put them on as support to other studios, specifically for making content and helping speed along programming & QA. Getting rid of consultancy groups like SBI would also help save money on production, potentially millions.

And then there's other things like making more AA traditional games; Astro Bot had a dev cycle of ~ 3 years and it's already looking to be a massive favorite and strong seller. I was always put off with the budget allocations between non-GAAS and GAAS that SIE shared at other fiscal meetings; some people want to say GAAS funding doesn't impact non-GAAS funding but that's pretending SIE's funding budgets are infinite. They aren't.

Why do you hate Arrowhead so much?

Well, for creative stuff no, keep Firewalk away from that kind of power. Especially if it comes to character designs, clearly. But assuming Arrowhead would have all creative control...I mean c'mon, Firewalk seem to know how to make stuff that's visually competent on a technical level. They can make something that runs well enough performance-wise.

They'd probably be a nice asset to have for assisting in technical performance where needed, and creating additional assets under Arrowhead's complete order/direction. It'd be the quickest way to have an in-house studio for content production, long as Arrowhead maintain creative control.

Because at this point, the importance of Helldivers 2 is going to become more and more felt to SIE for every failure like Concord.

This game is little fun but you can tell the "competitive" aspect of it is null. Don't know how the final game is (since its a live service and can change over time) but the matches are way too short, especially on PC where you can slaugher people on console. Game feels good on MK/+144hz, the thing tho this game was made with casuals in mind, will have any incentive for competitive.

The big issue is "Why i'm I pay for this?", All they needed to do is a 8-10 hours campaign to "justify" the money, since the competitive market rn for this type of (free)fmp is big "free to play". Also, WHO da fuck care about stories told in a MP game? You boot up the game and just wanna play the mp, doesnt care about character stories and skip everything (wanna do shit? make some youtube cgi videos wth). I think that could change when you have an exclusive campaign, because the focus will be on the story/characters outside the mp.

Ofc, all you need to know: the game screens LGBT and woke style in pretty much every aspect... they keep trying. I found annoying every time you die your character keeps saying the same bs over and over again on the select screen - maybe that will change in the final game, idk.

At this point what can save this game, at least on console is the PVE/Coop that supposedly is coming later. Even tho, the chances for this to flop hard is pretty high, imo, considering the circumstances. Since this is live service, it can change ofc, but I don't think Sony will try that hard...

I don't recommend this on PC, especially when you need a fucking psn account: your username in-game is your psn > and if you want to change it > you need to pay (second time lol).

Last edited:

Roufianos

So I guess between this clusterfuck of a release and studio purchase, the stupid Budgie buy, TLOU cancellation, the likely equally as shit Fairgames, and the barren 1st party schedule - we're now seeing the rot that Jim Ryan brought.

People always defended him saying he got results, clearly not.

So I guess between this clusterfuck of a release and studio purchase, the stupid Budgie buy, TLOU cancellation, the likely equally as shit Fairgames, and the barren 1st party schedule - we're now seeing the rot that Jim Ryan brought.

People always defended him saying he got results, clearly not.

It’s no coincidence that he left when he did.

Sony First Party is in a rough stretch.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I don't see it.
Don't get me wrong, Concord is a mess in every sense of the word, but I don't get how ONE (1) bad game is enough to doom and gloom?
Think he means Sony's actual first party studio's. Which lets face it, most released stuff at the tail end of last gen or the start of this gen. With dev times the way they are big gaps are unavoidable.

Last edited:

nial

Think he means Sony's actual first party studio's.
Which is such a BS complain when most of their big internal studios have already released new games this gen. You're missing what? Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Media Molecule (which most here couldn't give a single fuck about)?

clarky

Gold Member
Which is such a BS complain when most of their big internal studios have already released new games this gen. You're missing what? Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch and Media Molecule (which most here couldn't give a single fuck about)?
For fear of repeating myself, most studios games seem to be a while away yet because they released stuff either at the tail end of last gen or early this gen. With dev times being much longer right now we are seeing less games from Sony than what we are used to.

I'm not complaining, just an observation. Nothing we can do about it.

Last edited:

nial

I'm not complaining, just an observation. Nothing we can do about it.
I was not talking about you, to be quite specific. If anything, your post pretty much sums it up for those complaining that we don't have any new Gran Turismo or God of War yet.

clarky

Gold Member
I was not talking about you, to be quite specific. If anything, your post pretty much sums it up for those complaining that we don't have any new Gran Turismo or God of War yet.
Doesn't help when their big fall game this year looks to be a dud.

Top Bottom