• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

Zelias

Banned
Dunno how well that item name patch works (I have no need to use it, really), but if it does, kudos to the people who made it possible. Hopefully it'll get a few more people to finally bite the bullet and try the Japanese version.

It's kinda sad when you look at how much effort the community has put in to make PSO2 accessible to the non-Japanese fanbase, compared with how little Sega are putting in.

Oh, and beach is pretty neat. Wish I had more time to play these days.

Dunno how well that item name patch works (I have no need to use it, really), but if it does, kudos to the people who made it possible. Hopefully it'll get a few more people to finally bite the bullet and try the Japanese version.

It's kinda sad when you look at how much effort the community has put in to make PSO2 accessible to the non-Japanese fanbase, compared with how little Sega are putting in.

Oh, and beach is pretty neat. Wish I had more time to play these days.

It really is sad on many levels. At the rate we're going the community will end up having the entire client side part of the game translated before Sega gives NA gamers any updates on PSO2 in the west.

Foxix Von

Alright so the lack of any translation patches kept me from trying this out when it first launched. I'm really curious about it now but I have no clue where to start with all this haha. Getting this setup seems a tad complicated.

Maligna

Banned
Alright so the lack of any translation patches kept me from trying this out when it first launched. I'm really curious about it now but I have no clue where to start with all this haha. Getting this setup seems a tad complicated.

Same here. I look at the multiple web pages that have instructions on how to get started and my eyes gloss over... it looks too complicated.

Foxix Von

Same here. I look at the multiple web pages that have instructions on how to get started and my eyes gloss over... it looks too complicated.

EXACT same problem I'm having. I've got like 6 tabs on PSO2 open right now and I'm just lost. The most I can figure out is that to get started I should ask for an invite from someone who's already playing the game because there's some bonus stuff you can get.

Weekly maintenance just started, so don't be surprised if you guys can't get in. Perfect time to get downloading/patching though. Should be back up in around six hours.

EXACT same problem I'm having. I've got like 6 tabs on PSO2 open right now and I'm just lost. The most I can figure out is that to get started I should ask for an invite from someone who's already playing the game because there's some bonus stuff you can get.

What exactly are you guys having problems with? You got many of us who play the game natively and there are obviously many members here who play the game patched. If you're overwhelmed simply ask, no shame in it.

Foxix Von

What exactly are you guys having problems with? You got many of us who play the game natively and there are obviously many members here who play the game patched. If you're overwhelmed simply ask, no shame in it.

Hahaha, I'm not even sure how to download and install the game. The patching looks, well, weird. Do all I need is the tweaker to install all the necessary English patches? Because it sounds that way but a lot of those FAQs regarding English patching seem a little out of date. They seem to talk about downloading several different English patches separately and then using the tweaker to keep them up to date. That OP is loooaaaaded with links to various different sites. It's a bit on the overwhelming side.

I tried looking for any sort of "getting started" guides but I can't seem to find any, let alone anything very recent haha. Thanks :D

ZenVolta

So how easy is the english patch to get working? I have an account for PSO2 but the english patch would risk getting banned at the time.

There has never been a risk of getting banned, well there is always a "risk" but people have been using the english patch since it's inception without issue.

Hahaha, I'm not even sure how to download and install the game. The patching looks, well, weird. Do all I need is the tweaker to install all the necessary English patches? Because it sounds that way but a lot of those FAQs regarding English patching seem a little out of date. They seem to talk about downloading several different English patches separately and then using the tweaker to keep them up to date. That OP is loooaaaaded with links to various different sites. It's a bit on the overwhelming side.

I tried looking for any sort of "getting started" guides but I can't seem to find any, let alone anything very recent haha. Thanks :D

That's why it's always important to read the OP. Everything has been laid out under Guides & Links =)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532518

Foxix Von

There has never been a risk of getting banned, well there is always a "risk" but people have been using the english patch since it's inception without issue.

That's why it's always important to read the OP. Everything has been laid out under Guides & Links =)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532518

Actually, none of those ended up helping me. I read the OP earlier, ;D. Thanks though. Found a guide on kotaku of all places that had a walk through of the installation and fumbled my way through it.

Actually, none of those ended up helping me. I read the OP earlier, ;D. Thanks though. Found a guide on kotaku of all places that had a walk through of the installation and fumbled my way through it.

Strange, those guides where what I used way back and they were just fine. Where did you run into problems following them?

Also, make sure you read the portion in the OP regarding the friend invite system, as that step must be followed before you make your first character in order for both you and the person whose info you enter to earn rewards as you level up. And that we're all playing on Ship02.

Zelias

Banned
It really is sad on many levels. At the rate we're going the community will end up having the entire client side part of the game translated before Sega gives NA gamers any updates on PSO2 in the west.
No kidding. It's funny to think that the original plan, back when the patch was just to translate the UI rather than the multiple branches it has now, was to take text from the official English localization and put it into the JP version, and partially translate the story/flavour text that way. That's looking to be completely redundant by the time we even get an English beta.

VariantX

No kidding. It's funny to think that the original plan, back when the patch was just to translate the UI rather than the multiple branches it has now, was to take text from the official English localization and put it into the JP version, and partially translate the story/flavour text that way. That's looking to be completely redundant by the time we even get an English beta.

At this point, the only thing English speaking users are missing out on is the convenience of buying AC.

For those wanting to pick up a photon chair (2500 FUN at the FUN shop), I'm told these are the colors, listed in order:

Deep green, green, aqua, blue, purple, peach, red, orange, yellow, white

For those wanting to pick up a photon chair (2500 FUN at the FUN shop), I'm told these are the colors, listed in order:

Deep green, green, aqua, blue, purple, peach, red, orange, yellow, white

OMG... Photon chairs :)

Damn work, haven't been able to play PSO in a couple of days ;)

So 70 hours in and I just unlocked the Tundra, lol wtf am I doing, I just like messing around too much...

How does that on the fly item translation thing work?

Also, where can I get info about obtaining rare weapons for a Ranger? Like, how do you guys know which enemies/areas are more likely to drop specific weapons?

I still need to take that tour sometime, I still don't know what half the shops do :)

Zelias

Banned
Also, where can I get info about obtaining rare weapons for a Ranger? Like, how do you guys know which enemies/areas are more likely to drop specific weapons?
http://cirnopedia.frostsabre.com/

You can also check the item records for particular quests to see what has dropped in that quest in the past week (I think), and how many times that item has dropped, giving a basic idea of rarity.

Foxix Von

Strange, those guides where what I used way back and they were just fine. Where did you run into problems following them?

Also, make sure you read the portion in the OP regarding the friend invite system, as that step must be followed before you make your first character in order for both you and the person whose info you enter to earn rewards as you level up. And that we're all playing on Ship02.

It was mostly in legibility, and in the installation process I was pretty lost. I had no idea what to click to proceed and I was having some problems with it on my laptop. It turns out it's not really that complicated it's just annoying trying to start and having to comb through a bunch of different FAQs which at present time was entirely meaningless since I had no idea what I was doing haha.

I ended up using this guide as it was the closest thing to an all in one getting started guide. http://kotaku.com/5928484/cant-wait...line-2-heres-how-to-play-the-japanese-version

That and the fact that I currently have a nice case of food poisoning miiiight be clouding my cognition a bit @_o.

Kokonoe

Banned
http://bumped.org/psublog/

フォトンチェア深緑 Photon Chair Dark Green (chair_viridia)
フォトンチェア緑 Photon Chair Green (chair_greennil)
フォトンチェア水 Photon Chair Sky Blue (chair_skyly)
フォトンチェア青 Photon Chair Blue (chair_bluefull)
フォトンチェア紫 Photon Chair Purple (chair_purplenum)
フォトンチェア桃 Photon Chair Pink (chair_pinkal)
フォトンチェア赤 Photon Chair Red (chair_redria)
フォトンチェア橙 Photon Chair Orange (chair_oran)
フォトンチェア黄 Photon Chair Yellow (chair_yellowboze)
フォトンチェア白 Photon Chair White (chair_whitill)

I'm loving my Redria one. So awesome.

Foxix Von

Hmmm does anyone have any trouble running the tweaker? For some reason I can't actually save any of the PSO2 graphics settings. Sooo, the game basically just runs in a tiny window on my monitor since I can't set it to fullscreen. Any time I select the options menu at all I get a weird error:

"8/7/2013 9:38:07 AM: Conversion from string "Setting not found" to type 'Integer' is not valid.
8/7/2013 9:38:07 AM: ERROR - Conversion from string "Setting not found" to type 'Integer' is not valid."

Hmmm does anyone have any trouble running the tweaker? For some reason I can't actually save any of the PSO2 graphics settings. Sooo, the game basically just runs in a tiny window on my monitor since I can't set it to fullscreen. Any time I select the options menu at all I get a weird error:

"8/7/2013 9:38:07 AM: Conversion from string "Setting not found" to type 'Integer' is not valid.
8/7/2013 9:38:07 AM: ERROR - Conversion from string "Setting not found" to type 'Integer' is not valid."

It sounds like you need to actually save the settings using the real client at least once before you use the tweaker. The launcher has an English language option so this shouldn't be too difficult.

Foxix Von

It sounds like you need to actually save the settings using the real client at least once before you use the tweaker. The launcher has an English language option so this shouldn't be too difficult.

OH man! Thanks! :D Worked like a charm.

Soooo does anyone want to send me an invite? I'd greatly appreciate it :D

Send someone a whisper or talk in team chat while not in a party, and have them tell you what color your chat balloon was.
Wait... this is a thing?

Actually I realized I should probably keep Risa's RAcaseal affiliation if I really want to keep the clone gimmick going, and it looks like she's Greenill. Gross color, but apparently one of the better IDs for Ranger, so I guess it makes sense.

OH man! Thanks! :D Worked like a charm.

Soooo does anyone want to send me an invite? I'd greatly appreciate it :D

The invites are on you, not others. You enter someone's ID before you make your first character. There's a list of IDs in the OP already near the top. My ID is up there too if you want to use mine. Make sure you are doing this on Ship02!

Foxix Von

The invites are on you, not others. You enter someone's ID before you make your first character. There's a list of IDs in the OP already near the top. My ID is up there too if you want to use mine. Make sure you are doing this on Ship02!
Hahaha. I know, I just figured I'd ask since it seemed a little weird to just pick someone at random. Thanks though. :D

Can I use the PSO2 Tweaker to download the client?
Every time I try to use the official launcher all it takes is one second of dropped connection(wireless) and I lose all of my download progress.

Just wondering because last time I tried I got stuck with a black screen after the SEGA logo & intro theme.

AwRy108

So, has there been ANY word from SEGA regarding a release in the West? I find it quite odd that they're being so tight lipped, rather than just saying something, even if it's "we're uncertain at this time."

So, has there been ANY word from SEGA regarding a release in the West? I find it quite odd that they're being so tight lipped, rather than just saying something, even if it's "we're uncertain at this time."
The last we heard was basically "we stopped working on it stop asking us go away". The downsizing earlier in the year probably hurt its chances by a lot.

Zelias

Banned
They haven't said anything of substance since they delayed the release. Any attempts to query them on it are generally met with 'we can't say anything at this time'.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ran into 2 hunars in the beach mission, although on hard. Is this a common site? Wonder if that means his sword will drop in price.

Emergency maintenance was just announced to fix the Beach Wars emergency quest. 8/8 13:00~17:00 JST.

プレイ中の皆様へお知らせします。  本日8月8日(木)13:00 ~ 17:00の予定にて、ゲームサーバーの緊急メンテナンスを行います。  このメンテナンスにてPC認証時にメールが届かない不具合と「ビーチウォーズ!」でEトライアルが発生しない場合がある症状の修正を予定しております。  皆様には大変ご迷惑をおかけいたしますことをお詫び申し上げます。

Castcoder

Banned
Emergency maintenance was just announced to fix the Beach Wars emergency quest. 8/8 13:00~17:00 JST.

プレイ中の皆様へお知らせします。  本日8月8日(木)13:00 ~ 17:00の予定にて、ゲームサーバーの緊急メンテナンスを行います。  このメンテナンスにてPC認証時にメールが届かない不具合と「ビーチウォーズ!」でEトライアルが発生しない場合がある症状の修正を予定しております。  皆様には大変ご迷惑をおかけいたしますことをお詫び申し上げます。

I find irony in that.

Incredibly low e-trial occurrence rates, to the point that we were unable to clear the quest in two attempts this morning because the clear points were simply not there to be had.

Same here actually. Or it would go awhile without one before dropping a ton of bosses at once, making it tough to get anything done.

Here is a cool thing I guess
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3018464&postcount=1454

Tweaker now does an on-the-fly item translation; you can toggle it with Ctrl so pasting stuff into partial search still works.

You know, I wish I had realized the English patch manager/etc. actually downloaded the updates for me, too. The Sega launcher is probably the worst patch manager I've ever used...and I put up with PlayOnline on FFXI for years.

I got most everything working, I think. Lets see how this goes.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The Sega launcher is probably the worst patch manager I've ever used...and I put up with PlayOnline on FFXI for years.
You're seriously comparing the abomination that is POL with a launcher which only downside is slow download speed from outside Japan with occasional errors when people are hammering like crazy?

Top Bottom