• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

Irnbru

I apologise if someone on Team GAF sees me online and I don't respond. That's because I just discovered Splashtop and I've been playing PSO2 in bed with my 360 controller, my keyboard doesnt reach. OMG it's amazing....

What have you done to my life. Also, any new english patches? Last time I tried was a couple months ago, and didn't cover much, dunno?

Mistle

Hold up there's an item patch now? They've bypasses that server-side problem?

This could finally be the thing that'll get me to commit to the Japanese version.

Kokonoe

Banned
lol whaaaaaaaaat

I identified an item I was carrying around for the past like 4-6 hours since I figured it was just junk loot, so I decided to turn my unidentified items in and it ended up being my first ever ten star weapon.

irw0OVTau951R.jpg

yay.

kiryogi

Banned
lol whaaaaaaaaat

I identified an item I was carrying around for the past like 4-6 hours since I figured it was just junk loot, so I decided to turn my unidentified items in and it ended up being my first ever ten star weapon.

irw0OVTau951R.jpg

yay.

And one of the best double sabers to boot. Kudos.

Please tell us more! D: Is it lag-free without Wireless N? I would love to try this on Galaxy Tab 2!

Works great for me, PSO isn't about lightening fast response times, so the small amount of lag is a non issue. Another GAFer got onto it today as well, apparently his brother was playing on his phone with a wireless 360 controller. Sooooogoood.jpg

Get on it GAF, with all the English patches it's like 90% translated, the item patch is amazing.

Mistle

Ok I'm sold. Gonna download now and get into it! Pretty pumped.

No English item was the last big thing holding me back, so I don't really have an excuse anymore. I've waited long enough for SEGA to get the official version rolling, but that chance is gone I guess

Can I login with my beta details/character?

Ok I'm sold. Gonna download now and get into it! Pretty pumped.

No English item was the last big thing holding me back, so I don't really have an excuse anymore. I've waited long enough for SEGA to get the official version rolling, but that chance is gone I guess

Can I login with my beta details/character?

If it was open beta, yes, your character will still be there. Earlier than that, you won't have any data but you can still log in. Don't forget most everyone here is on Ship02.

Aomber

So I ended up remaking my character anyway since I wanted to change race. I was super low level before though so I didn't really miss out on anything, already passed that character lol

God this game is awesome.

I'm on Ship 02 by the way, will message somebody in game soon so I can join the team

ji6DMjG7lYAfN.png

Aomber

Hey I'll be on quite a bit today, if anyone is around who can invite me to the team my player name is Aomber and my character name is HalfJoked, thanks in advance

Kyon

Banned
Yeah if you know what you want you can type that into the prospect search:

But if you want to see the prices/display time you'll have to remove the English wording apparently:

Thanks ill let him know so he can download it and play with me :)

Zelias

Banned
Weird. The item patch only translates items after I pick them up.
Don't quote me on this, but I believe PSO2 stores item names in a cache after they have been sent by the server. The patch translates the names in the cache. So it won't immediately translate items you haven't come across before.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe PSO2 stores item names in a cache after they have been sent by the server. The patch translates the names in the cache. So it won't immediately translate items you haven't come across before.

Ah so that's how it's done, quite clever and I guess the only way around server stored item names for now. *edit* I quoted you :V

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm kind of missing the themes from PSO1 in this. Well, not so much the same exact themes, but I'm getting tired of going from Volcano part 1 and Volcano part 2 only for it to look exactly the same, and it's like that with all of the levels in this game.

Caves in PSO had the volcano like area for the first area, the beautiful white cave area with water in the second part, and then the last part was kind of like a robotic cave. Mines 1 had a bright, full functional lab area while Mines 2 was like a run down ruins of that lab.

I'm just overall tired of seeing the same stuff, I want there to be a reason I go to each block other than level progression, cause it feels like I'm on the same block regardless of which part in the level I am in in PSO2.

Was there an explanation of how the items got translated?

I noticed a post above mentioned the items translated once the user picks up the item... Does that have anything to do with it?

ezodagrom

but I'm getting tired of going from Volcano part 1 and Volcano part 2 only for it to look exactly the same
It doesn't look exactly the same, but the differences between each part are small.
Caves area 1 is pretty much a cave, while area 2 you can see the sky when looking up.

The more unique parts are usually in arks quests or advance quests though, and not in free fields. For example, tunnels free field doesn't have the treadmills, forest free field doesn't have the river, desert free field doesn't have the wall sections, and so on.

There's also areas that unfortunately don't have or barely have unique elements between parts, like ruins and sanctum. x-x;

But yeah, I also wish that each part of fields were more unique.

Tundra 2 you're in more of a fissure rather than a snowfield, and I think only in Beach 2 the ruins type of geometry show up. I think the Ruins layout where you walk on top of the rings only shows up in Area 2 as well?

Aomber

I'm kind of missing the themes from PSO1 in this. Well, not so much the same exact themes, but I'm getting tired of going from Volcano part 1 and Volcano part 2 only for it to look exactly the same, and it's like that with all of the levels in this game.

Caves in PSO had the volcano like area for the first area, the beautiful white cave area with water in the second part, and then the last part was kind of like a robotic cave. Mines 1 had a bright, full functional lab area while Mines 2 was like a run down ruins of that lab.

I'm just overall tired of seeing the same stuff, I want there to be a reason I go to each block other than level progression, cause it feels like I'm on the same block regardless of which part in the level I am in in PSO2.

Adopted from Phantasy Star Universe unfortunately.

ezodagrom

Tundra 2 you're in more of a fissure rather than a snowfield, and I think only in Beach 2 the ruins type of geometry show up. I think the Ruins layout where you walk on top of the rings only shows up in Area 2 as well?
The coast part with the ruins type geometry, it's area 3 for the 2nd coast quest (Coastal Conservation), and area 2 for the 3rd coast quest (Subdue Org Blan).

For Coast Exploration, area 2 is similar to area 1, unfortunately...

Most likely, a future Coast Advance Quest will have those ruins elements in area 2, like in the Org Blan quest, though since advance quests have always been released in packs of 3 so far, it'll be a long time until they release the coast advance quest, probably. :|

Kokonoe

Banned
It doesn't look exactly the same, but the differences between each part are small.
Caves area 1 is pretty much a cave, while area 2 you can see the sky when looking up.

The more unique parts are usually in arks quests or advance quests though, and not in free fields. For example, tunnels free field doesn't have the treadmills, forest free field doesn't have the river, desert free field doesn't have the wall sections, and so on.

There's also areas that unfortunately don't have or barely have unique elements between parts, like ruins and sanctum. x-x;

But yeah, I also wish that each part of fields were more unique.

Yeah, I mean that that although the the layouts are different, the themes remain the same. The differences aren't much noteworthy to make you feel you're getting a diverse experience. Actually, I'd much prefer if instead of new levels, they revamp the old ones first with new themeing per block. Would be cool.

Adopted from Phantasy Star Universe unfortunately.

Played about 2000-3000 hours of PSU so I can remember that all to well. I'd kind of like if they brought back some Techer buffs from PSU like Giresta, I'd also wish they would bring back Shifta and Deband to their former glory to make Techer more useful.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So you maniacs from the original starting crew still pretty active in the game?
Been there since alpha 2, played actively until a few months ago and have been jumping for big patches to experience all the new content and stop for another month or so.
I think I'm done now though, can't stand the grinding anymore. Still, I hated grinding since I stopped playing Ragnarok Online, so getting 750+ hours out of PSO2 was a big surprise for me.

VariantX

The areas naturally lead into each other too. The mechanical part of the caves lead into the mechanized mines. The run down part of the mines lead into the ruins. You got the sense you were going deeper and deeper into the planet in ep1.

MrDaravon

Figured I would give this a go since it's clearly not coming out in the US, I'm not getting FF14 as planned, and item translations are a big deal for me. Not sure how much I'm going to get into it (don't think I can get any of my friends to jump through the hoops, no matter how much easier they've been made), but I'll give it a try.

Still had the game installed from the Beta, grabbed the Tweaker thing...and I have 16,736 files to download/patch D:. Has been going for about 90 minutes and at just over 1,000 downloaded, guess I'm leaving this overnight. There was one file early on that just hung on 66% forever and I finally just cancelled that one, once all of these finally download I'm assuming I can just go back and re-scan and try to pick up this one patch I'm missing?

Also I hope to god I remember what my password is >_>

Aomber

Figured I would give this a go since it's clearly not coming out in the US, I'm not getting FF14 as planned, and item translations are a big deal for me. Not sure how much I'm going to get into it (don't think I can get any of my friends to jump through the hoops, no matter how much easier they've been made), but I'll give it a try.

Still had the game installed from the Beta, grabbed the Tweaker thing...and I have 16,736 files to download/patch D:. Has been going for about 90 minutes and at just over 1,000 downloaded, guess I'm leaving this overnight. There was one file early on that just hung on 66% forever and I finally just cancelled that one, once all of these finally download I'm assuming I can just go back and re-scan and try to pick up this one patch I'm missing?

Also I hope to god I remember what my password is >_>
Yeah downloading from Japan is extremely slow unfortunately. The game easily took me around 5-6 hours to download and I'm rocking 70 Mbps

And yeah I know what you mean, I wanna try to convince some of my buddies but I only know one who wants to play badly (but he doesn't currently have a computer) and the others have never played a phantasy star game so it'd be hard to convince em.

Mistle

yeah, i've missed this so much. sometimes it's the "smaller" details that are most important

ezodagrom

Yeah, I mean that that although the the layouts are different, the themes remain the same. The differences aren't much noteworthy to make you feel you're getting a diverse experience. Actually, I'd much prefer if instead of new levels, they revamp the old ones first with new themeing per block. Would be cool.
Now that I give this a bit more thought, PSO2 does have different "parts" of "areas", but they're separated into different quests/fields instead of being in the same quest.
The best example is Naberius, the forest and tundra are directly connected, the tundra can be seen in the background of the forest, the forest can be seen in the background of the beginning of the tundra.
Same for tundra -> ruins, the ruins tower/giant tree can be seen in the background of the tundra, and the tundra can be seen in the background of the ruins.

Though it would be nice to have these areas actually connected in a new type of quest or something, like a quest that goes Forest -> Tundra -> Ruins (not counting the Naberius II Time Attack quest, I mean a more complete experience than that), one that goes Caves -> Skyland -> Sanctum, Desert -> Tunnels -> new Lillipa area that is being released in September 4th, and so on.

Aomber

Absolutely horrible headache from playing so much of this game today.

PSU was my first phantasy star game (sadly) and this is such a huge improvement over that game. Haven't played that game since like 2008 so it's awesome to have a phantasy star game to play again.

Ooccoo

I still have my beta account, should go back, but the PSU elements really turned me off initially. I miss the rooms and level design from PSO. Also, I thougbt most emergency codes were boring, same with the quests thing. Never tried the snow and desert areas plus the myriad other stuff they added so might be worth it

ezodagrom

I still have my beta account, should go back, but the PSU elements really turned me off initially. I miss the rooms and level design from PSO. Also, I thougbt most emergency codes were boring, same with the quests thing. Never tried the snow and desert areas plus the myriad other stuff they added so might be worth it
Compared to the early days, they've easen up leveling up and unlocking areas early on. So the playing experience for a new player should be less repetitive nowadays.

Until earlier this year, to unlock areas players had to first play all the arks quests of the area, then start a client order (CO) that required the last 2 arks quests to unlock the free field.
After they played through the free field, they had to do a CO that required to play through the free field again to unlock the next area.

Now, we get the CO to unlock free fields before the last 2 arks quests, and we get the CO to unlock the next area when we unlock the free field, so there's no forced repetition of quests.

Basically, instead of going:
- quest 1 -> quest 2 -> quest 3 -> receive free field CO -> quest 2 -> quest 3 -> deliver free field CO -> free field -> receive next area CO -> free field -> deliver next area CO.
it goes like this now:
- quest 1 -> receive free field CO -> quest 2 -> quest 3 -> deliver free field CO -> receive next area CO -> free field -> deliver next area CO.

EDIT: There's a couple of exceptions to this.
The Coast area can be unlocked at the same time as the Desert area. While the Desert area needs a CO that asks for the player to complete the Caves free field, just completing that field probably unlocks the Coast area as well (I think).
The Sanctum area is unlocked once the player completes the Ruins free field, no CO is needed to unlock that area.

Started playing again last night with the english items patch and while I knew half of the icons already just by how they look, it's really nice to see english writing for items, helps when looking at your inventory at a quick glance.

Only patch I need to bother with now is the story english patch.

Also PSO2tweaker is amazing

PSO did level transactions beautifully, the caves example is probably the best because you are going deeper into the mines you start to find a secret lab of sorts and I love how it shows in caves 3, also it's less repetitive to play when each area has a unique look.

In my experience of caves in PSO2 the second or third area usually have an open sky area instead of actually being deep in a cave, but that's about the only change I can see.

*edit* played for about an hour, not sure if I applied the story patch correctly as all the npc's on the ark talk in japanese still, but their voice bubbles if I partner with them are english, i'll try a patch and re-install tonight.

Play-Asia now sells WebMoney digitally.
2000 for $26.90
5000 for $58.90

How many steps does this take off the process to buy AC? I've held off of buying AC cause I didn't feel like going through the entire process.

Same number of steps it took to redeem WebMoney purchased from SuToCorp, Japan - codes, etc. Log in to the Sega ID site (needs a captcha solve), specify the amount you're paying in via WebMoney, and enter the code once you're redirected to the WebMoney site.

Same number of steps it took to redeem WebMoney purchased from SuToCorp, Japan - codes, etc. Log in to the Sega ID site (needs a captcha solve), specify the amount you're paying in via WebMoney, and enter the code once you're redirected to the WebMoney site.
Well yeah but before you had to go through some complex-seeming process of acquiring a Japanese address and such. If it's now as easy as just punching in the code to the Sega site then that's like no work at all.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Been there since alpha 2, played actively until a few months ago and have been jumping for big patches to experience all the new content and stop for another month or so.
I think I'm done now though, can't stand the grinding anymore. Still, I hated grinding since I stopped playing Ragnarok Online, so getting 750+ hours out of PSO2 was a big surprise for me.

I forgot what part I was in, but had stopped playing as basically without a team trying to do somethings by oneself was pretty much impossible.

Though the game was a huge improvement over the first PSO though.

Well yeah but before you had to go through some complex-seeming process of acquiring a Japanese address and such. If it's now as easy as just punching in the code to the Sega site then that's like no work at all.

You've always needed an address to register a Sega ID to play the game. WebMoney has never required a separate account.

Top Bottom