• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

I'm almost to the point where I'll pay for a VPN to get into the SEA version and treat it like a P2P game.
This seems a supply decision to make when it is simpler to play the JP version, assets from SEA can probably be used to improve the quality of the translation patches available for it, and the JP server is objectively better in several measurable ways (amount of content, less restrictions on items, etc.).

They changed some pretty vital stuff around in the SEA version though. For example, the dragonkin destroyer latent (and probably the rest of them too but I haven't confirmed) was changed so that instead of being a percentage boost to damage it becomes a percentage CHANCE to do +60 (at lvl.1 latent) damage. Not +60% damage, literally 60 more damage. And its only a chance!

Also costumes bind on equip so the market is probably super cut throat and stuff.

Summer rain

Neo Member
Just play the Japanese version. It's mostly translated and is being kept up to date. Even if they release the game in the west at some point, many English players that play on the Japanese servers wouldn't switch over for various reasons; one being that it would be way behind the Japanese in terms of content.

I thought that the whole game is was in japanese. So I who can´t read a single word in japanese would then be able to play it?

What version are you guys playing, the PSVita?

MSMrRound

I thought that the whole game is was in japanese. So I who can´t read a single word in japanese would then be able to play it?

What version are you guys playing, the PSVita?

Most are currently on Ship 02 in the PC version. There's a fan-translated build that most English speaking players are currently using.

I'm excited, I got my gaming PC now and im going to download this game tonight when I get off work. I hope everything goes smoothly with the download and install, plus the english patches.

Lren

Nothing beats dodging Dark Falz Losers time freeze with a stylish dodge as a Gunner.

Also can't wait for those robits, looks like they were on the Mining Defense EQ :O

man, I tried to register for this game but I cant get past the catcha.

after about 40 mins, finally got one that was very easy to read and got it. Glad I wont have to do that again.

Jeremy

Seriously considering downloading this game. Never played a Phantasy Star game in my life but it looks really interesting and fun. Can you play with X360 controller?

I guess it doesn't matter I can't get past the registration

trejo

Seriously considering downloading this game. Never played a Phantasy Star game in my life but it looks really interesting and fun. Can you play with X360 controller?

I guess it doesn't matter I can't get past the registration

If you're stuck at the captcha just keep refreshing until you get one that's easy enough to input. That's what I did.

And I play using a 360 pad exclusively.

Jeremy

If you're stuck at the captcha just keep refreshing until you get one that's easy enough to input. That's what I did.

And I play using a 360 pad exclusively.

I know a little hiragana and recognize the symbols pretty easily but I keep getting an error. The error just says "undefined" but had more text when I wasn't using the Chrome extension.

edit: Figured it out... I was using punctuation in my password and it didn't like that. I'm registered now and downloading content.

CTLance

I installed this yesterday out of curiosity, using the Arks Layer suite of howto's, patches and launcher. Impressions so far, after getting to the tail end of the Forest area (missed the time limit by one minute, dammit):

Pretty fun, the F2P aspect seems to be handled quite sensibly as well. I'm impressed.

I oh-so-dearly miss the PSO OST, and the loading screen is less enjoyable for some reason.

The hacked-in translation is surprisingly robust, and while there are copious amounts of untranslated stuff it's very serviceable, if buggy (e.g. some item description translations don't show up reliably).

Also: My poor Cast looks like a friggen peacock exploded all over him because the barriers etc look like colorful (and partially sparkly!) wings. Oh well. I gave him bug eyes, so I'm treating him as a particularly vicious butterfly.

I'm stumped why Sega didn't bring this to the west. This might not rake in billions, but I doubt it wouldn't at least keep a small profit. Heck, I could very well see myself splurging for the odd Mag or somesuch, and I'm not usually inclined to such things. (Not gonna do that on a throwaway account running a modified client outside the officially supported countries.) Well, their loss.

B20 was immediately recognizable as the "western" part of PSO2. Nowehere else did I encounter such mindboggling amounts of barely clothed dancing peeps. Heh.

Next up: Rolling a female Newman Force alt. Gonna try to blend in with the natives. Wish me luck.
Code:
/la dance1

I installed this yesterday out of curiosity, using the Arks Layer suite of howto's, patches and launcher. Impressions so far, after getting to the tail end of the Forest area (missed the time limit by one minute, dammit):

Pretty fun, the F2P aspect seems to be handled quite sensibly as well. I'm impressed.

I oh-so-dearly miss the PSO OST, and the loading screen is less enjoyable for some reason.

The hacked-in translation is surprisingly robust, and while there are copious amounts of untranslated stuff it's very serviceable, if buggy (e.g. some item description translations don't show up reliably).

Also: My poor Cast looks like a friggen peacock exploded all over him because the barriers etc look like colorful (and partially sparkly!) wings. Oh well. I gave him bug eyes, so I'm treating him as a particularly vicious butterfly.

I'm stumped why Sega didn't bring this to the west. This might not rake in billions, but I doubt it wouldn't at least keep a small profit. Heck, I could very well see myself splurging for the odd Mag or somesuch, and I'm not usually inclined to such things. (Not gonna do that on a throwaway account running a modified client outside the officially supported countries.) Well, their loss.

B20 was immediately recognizable as the "western" part of PSO2. Nowehere else did I encounter such mindboggling amounts of barely clothed dancing peeps. Heh.

Next up: Rolling a female Newman Force alt. Gonna try to blend in with the natives. Wish me luck.
Code:
/la dance1

Nice to see you liking it. I'd stay away from B20 though. Not to knowledgable on why but every one here recommends it. Then again, I've never been able to get into that Block as it is always packed.

Jeremy

After I enter my ID, a box pops up asking me to enter something else. The left button is grayed out unless I enter something but I have no idea what to enter. I thought it was the "who invited you" thing via Aida's guide but that failed, I tried a character name but that failed too. Any ideas?

Yea I like this game a lot, I been playing it since I downloaded it. But the ship that i'm on I BARELY see anyone. I see many one or two people in the lobby and that's about it.

what ship should I make a character on, is there a dedicated one that gaf users are using???

Jeremy, can you post a screenshot, I just did the registration and all that yesterday, so i can be of some help, but i'm not sure which screen your talking about.

I can't seem to make a new character nor move my character over to ship 2, since everything in japanese, i have no idea what I am to do. I tried to delete the character ad create a new one, but it didnt delete em, just put some yellow lettering under the name.

Edit: Ok, so after digging around on the net for a few minutes, I found out that, there's a two character limit. I already made two characters when I was trying to experienment with which class and race I wanted to be and the deleting take 24 hours. so after my characters been deleted, i will be able to join the ship 2. Hopefully that works.

Jeremy

I figured out what the problem was. It was a name registration, it's just that someone had the name I was putting in.

I finally got the game installed and played a little bit but it seems the English patch begins to fall through very early on regarding information boxes and NPC communication. Just going to have to give up on this one. I barely know what I'm doing because I have never played a Phantasy Star game and not being able to read anything makes figuring out anything impossible. Oh well... Maybe they'll bring the next one overseas.

I figured out what the problem was. It was a name registration, it's just that someone had the name I was putting in.

I finally got the game installed and played a little bit but it seems the English patch begins to fall through very early on regarding information boxes and NPC communication. Just going to have to give up on this one. I barely know what I'm doing because I have never played a Phantasy Star game and not being able to read anything makes figuring out anything impossible. Oh well... Maybe they'll bring the next one overseas.

Yea man, I know what you mean, not being able to read a big chunk of the game is souring the experience for me. But i dont even bother with talking any more, I just go to the counter, take a mission and then do it, as that stuff is in english. I rally like the combat in this game so i play just for that really.

ezodagrom

So just to be sure, this will never be officially ported here, huh?
This is the last thing the western branches of SEGA said about PSO2:

sega.jpg

Jathaine

So, I've just begun to play today.
I'm on Ship: 02
Player ID is 10233340
Character Name: Charisma

For now, I'm just kind of diving in without looking up any sort of guide. Having fun but I've only been at it for a couple of hours.

So, I've just begun to play today.
I'm on Ship: 02
Player ID is 10233340
Character Name: Charisma

For now, I'm just kind of diving in without looking up any sort of guide. Having fun but I've only been at it for a couple of hours.

No need to share your ID number unless you're looking for referrals (and did you attach a referral before making your character?) Player Name is probably going to be more useful than Character Name since I can't imagine your chosen character name is unique.

Jathaine

No need to share your ID number unless you're looking for referrals (and did you attach a referral before making your character?) Player Name is probably going to be more useful than Character Name since I can't imagine your chosen character name is unique.

Oh. I have no idea what referrals are... I just don't know what info is needed so I just threw all that out there, haha.
And when you say Player Name, does that refer to my account name or is that somewhere else? I don't recall that being a thing.

Oh. I have no idea what referrals are... I just don't know what info is needed so I just threw all that out there, haha.
And when you say Player Name, does that refer to my account name or is that somewhere else? I don't recall that being a thing.

It's in the first post; if you enter someone's ID before you make your character both you and the person you refer get reward badges that can be turned in for unique items as you level up.

There are only three methods that players can be searched by:
  • Character name
  • Team name
  • Player Name
Of these three, only the Player Name is unique to a single player.

The player name is NOT your SEGA ID (never share this), but it was a name you were required to enter before you made your character. I can't recall if player names were ship-specific or if you can have only one player name per account, though.

They changed some pretty vital stuff around in the SEA version though. For example, the dragonkin destroyer latent (and probably the rest of them too but I haven't confirmed) was changed so that instead of being a percentage boost to damage it becomes a percentage CHANCE to do +60 (at lvl.1 latent) damage. Not +60% damage, literally 60 more damage. And its only a chance!

Also costumes bind on equip so the market is probably super cut throat and stuff.

Wow that is really bad o_O Why would they knowingly change things for the worse like that? Do they purposely want any other version other than the JP version to be inferior experience?

since i found out that I could switch my camera to the third person shooter view, man, playing a gunner is very nice. It feels great!!! Im glad they added this in. I HATED playing a gunner in Phantasy star universe but this game change my mind about it with the addition of the over the shoulder third person shooter view.

CTLance

Ok, so I finally got around to do a bunch of emergency quests, which catapulted me up a few levels per iteration and drowned me in gear. Really, what on Earth possessed them to hand out that many XP and items per kill. Now I'm completely overleveled for the next dozen story quests. I predict boredom. :-/

This game is a bit unbalanced. Not that I'm complaining, I know once I unlock the higher difficulty levels I'll be crying for mommy even with the simplest quests, but still, this is a bit much. An extend level or two and a bunch of grinders, and my shitty-ass noname Blaster basically one-or twoshots any normal enemy with piercing shell. It's even more ridiculous now that I'm overleveled to hell.
Also, I really don't get the Gunslash weapons. Tiny reach in dagger mode, tedious attack in gun mode, mediocre damage all around - what am I missing?

Anyway, Level 26 now, and my R-ATK-maxed Mag finally hit 30. Game is still fun. Damn you Sega. Why don't you want my money.

Wonko_C

Heh, if anything I wanna level up faster, I've been stuck in the low 50's for like forever, and don't even mention my subclass.

I stopped playing some months ago because of burnout, and at the same time a friend gifted me a Steam copy of FFXIV and 3 months to play with him. My subscription ended but I got addicted to that game so much I kinda don't want to play anything else, but I can't afford to pay it right now.

So I've meant to go back to PSO2 but it's hard, I just log in, walk around the lobby for a few minutes and log out. maybe I just need some people to play with, LOL.

Soma

Being in an active team kinda helps.

But most of the time I randomly log in a quarter to the hour to see if any EQ's are being announced and if not I usually log out.

The minute you hit level 45, shit hits the fan and level progression starts to slow to a crawl. How I wish that it were a proper exp curve instead of whatever nonsense it is now.

They changed the exp requirements for lvl 46+ a few months ago.
For comparison, exp required per level, before and after:

img1
img1

WOW!! that's one CRAZY hike.

I also feel bored of the game since there's no one barely in the lobby, and I joined ship 2 also, still dont see people talking in chat and stuff or doing any missions.

Again (maybe not again), you should be in a block appropriate to the content you are attempting. Don't expect to find anybody running N Forest on the VH Vopal block. Even so, since a plurality of the playerbase has characters at Super Hard, and leveling up early on is so easy, there are very few players running N and H content. You can see what others on the block are running and join in progress from the quest counter. There also tends to be an influx of players when certain emergency quests go up.

As for nobody chatting, you could always go to block 20... then realize why most unaffiliated players keep to themselves.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Edit:
Nvm. I was so much out of the loop, that I didn't know that they've already shown the trailer for the mecha.

Top Bottom