• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Brave PC |OT| Nippon Ichi's most unique SRPG

Durante

phantomvbo7s.png

About the game

Phantom Brave is Nippon Ichi's most unique and innovative RPG, and perhaps also their most "serious" one in terms of story -- in the first 5 minutes, the protagonist Marona's
parents both die, and it continues on by showing how she is ostracized for her unique powers

What makes it so unique? Glad you asked!

• Free movement and positioning on the map - no grid. This also means that all spells and attacks have ranges which are expressed in 3D shapes, not sets of tiles.
  • All your units except Marona are Phantoms which are "confined" into objects on the battlefield. Depending on which objects you use this causes significant effects on stats. Furthermore, phantoms only remain on the battlefield for a limited number of turns (depending on some factors).
  • Both battlefield objects and units (and corpses :p) can be equipped as items, and often grant item-specific skills.

There's more to it of course, including characters and items leveling, a random dungeon generation system, and so on and so forth. But the 3 points above are what make it very unique even in the space of N1 SRPGs.

About this version

The PC version has the following features:
  • Arbitrary resolution support (I tested it up to 5120x2880)
  • 60 FPS (I haven't checked if it goes higher on a high refresh rate display, but hey, it's a SRPG)
  • ALL the content of every version of the game released previously
  • Dual audio
  • Recreated high-res UI graphics (including fonts and icons -- I wish more late PC ports did this)
  • High-res 2D art (character portraits and backgrounds)
  • Toggle-able sprite filtering
  • Good mouse/KB and controller support, with automatic switching of prompts.

It's really pretty close to the best version they could have done short of recreating all the sprite art at a higher resolution (which is obviously infeasible). From what I've seen of its performance so far it should also run on a toaster.

Here are some screenshots (sprite filtering is disabled):

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nippon Ichi's magnum opus.

Forkball

Easily one of my favorite PS2 games and the best Nippon Ichi SRPG of that era. The characters are customizable to an insane degree and the combat is strategic in that every move really matters. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Jebusman

Banned
As much as I loved the style and tone of Phantom Brave, it was always the Nippon Ichi game I couldn't get into. The limited turns on confining phantoms is probably what pushed me over the edge.

I'll definitely have to give it a shot, or at least buy this to encourage the eventual port of Makai Kingdom.

I...own this on the Wii, I think? I think I picked it up for like $15 and never got around to it. So should I give that version a shot?

The fact that Phantom Brave got ported to the Wii will always be confusing to me. It was the only one of the PS2 era Nippon Ichi games to do so (the rest of them pretty much got PSP ports instead, INCLUDING Phantom Brave eventually).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I...own this on the Wii, I think? I think I picked it up for like $15 and never got around to it. So should I give that version a shot?

Durante

Nippon Ichi's magnum opus.
Easily one of my favorite PS2 games and the best Nippon Ichi SRPG of that era. The characters are customizable to an insane degree and the combat is strategic in that every move really matters. I highly recommend it to everyone.
nicegorillasharkhighflpq10.png

You should give any version you can get your hands on a shot, it's a really good game. (I don't really know much about the Wii version specifically, but it at the very least shouldn't be worse than the PS2 version)

My favourite NI game alongside Makai Kingdom.

I love the crazy powerful weapons you can get via fusion XD

The random titles are pretty hilarious too. Can't ever forget my Ichiban Watering Can.

As much as I loved the style and tone of Phantom Brave, it was always the Nippon Ichi game I couldn't get into. The limited turns on confining phantoms is probably what pushed me over the edge.

I'm in a similar camp. I never could wrap my head around confining, and it ended up making me feel like the progress for my phantoms were pretty arbitrary and not terribly meaningful. Heard there were issues with the port of Disgaea, but if this is handled any better, I might pick this one up and give it another attempt.

Durante

I'm in a similar camp. I never could wrap my head around confining, and it ended up making me feel like the progress for my phantoms were pretty arbitrary and not terribly meaningful. Heard there were issues with the port of Disgaea, but if this is handled any better, I might pick this one up and give it another attempt.
There's a demo, so you can try it.

I couldn't find any issues with the PC version in my ~1 hour of playing the demo.

The M.O.B

No Mac support again, hope it won't be a trend for NI's PC output going forward. Played this and D1-3 on PS2 a long time ago but would love to play again in short bursts.

patapuf

I'm going to get this regardless but does this have a lot of the grinding elements Disgaea has or is it more map-focused like say, an FE game or the story mode of a disgaea game?.

Durante

I'm going to get this regardless but does this have a lot of the grinding elements Disgaea has or is it more map-focused like say, an FE game or the story mode of a disgaea game?.
I'd say it's quite a bit more story-focused overall than the Disgaea games.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No Mac support again, hope it won't be a trend for NI's PC output going forward. Played this and D1-3 on PS2 a long time ago but would love to play again in short bursts.

Mac is only like... what... 1%? 4%? of the Steam market. It's like you're asking for Linux ports (>1%): It'd be nice, but that costs money and the investment-return simply isn't there for the investment just to have a niche-of-a-niche to play it.

Use Bootcamp.

In any case, the demo seemed to crash for me on "exit game" and hanged. Hopefully they fix that.

Durante

Yeah, Mac and Linux versions would be nice, but given that this is most certainly going to sell less than 100k (and probably less than 20k before sales) you really have to start considering whether it's worth it. (Although the game already uses OpenGL, so at least that would be easier to port than e.g. DirectX)

Finished Disgaea 5 @ 100% few months ago, i need my Nippon Ichi fix, day one.

(Loved Phantom Brave, fingers crossed for Makai Kingdom and Soul Nomad next.)

DiGiKerot

After the mess what was Disgaea at launch, it's nice to hear that they've done a good job with this one. Love the game, but I never did get around to finishing the new story from the Wii/PSP version. Seems like a good excuse to try and get around to it!

Durante

After the mess what was Disgaea at launch, it's nice to hear that they've done a good job with this one.
I'm pretty sure they could re-use a lot of code (which is more tested and patched now) from the Disgaea port. Also, quite a few of the issues with Disgaea were related to "enhancements" of dubious value which they omitted in this one.

Anyway, it did seem quite solid to me in the demo.

I have the Wii version. How does that stack up against this? All this attention kinda makes me want to break it out.
This one also has the PSP content, high-res UI/2D, arbitrary resolution support and 60 FPS. (Personally, I think the high-res UI graphics and fonts are the most significant improvement for playing it on modern displays)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Interesting that this fixed the internal resolution issue with Disgaea but they never patched that into Disgaea despite it getting like 1 - 2 patches a week.

Quonny

This game is great. While I think that Disgaea 5 polished these kinds of games into a diamond, this game has so many wonderful ideas that didn't make it back into the Disgaea series.

While they weren't all good, this game is truly special and must be played by anyone who is interested in sRPGs. Second best NIS game and it deserves it. Also has probably the best music in anything NIS has ever produced.

Picking up random sea creatures and beating people up with them has always been this game's greatest achievement. It is so hilarious to slap someone with a fish.

Damn, didn't know this was coming out today. I'd get it if it weren't for Quadrilateral Cowboy. Too many good games coming out these days.

Glad to see this is a decent port.

aravuus

Remember playing this years ago, but I never got very far. Because I suck at SRPGs.

I've already played Disgaea 5 enough to get bored, but I think I'll give this one a try when I get paid later this week. Looks different enough.

Durante

It's very different from the Disgaea games, both in terms of story/mood and in terms of the actual gameplay.

Really, it differs significantly from every other SRPG I can think of, and I've played quite a few of them ;)
The confinement mechanic isn't something I've ever seen anywhere else, and even free positioning SRPGs in general are pretty rare.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It's very different from the Disgaea games, both in terms of story/mood and in terms of the actual gameplay.

Really, it differs significantly from every other SRPG I can think of, and I've played quite a few of them ;)
The confinement mechanic isn't something I've ever seen anywhere else, and even free positioning SRPGs in general are pretty rare.

I'm really intrigued. I haven't really enjoyed any Disgaea games, but love Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Is it more similar to those?

Durante

I'm really intrigued. I haven't really enjoyed any Disgaea games, but love Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre. Is it more similar to those?
Not at all really. In a way, Disgaea is more similar to those than Phantom Brave (since it at least shares the basic grid abstraction).

pantsmith

A really, really good tactical rpg.

Binding your party members to the items on the field still provides fascinating risk/reward to manage that no other game has really touched on since (to my knowledge, anyway).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not at all really. In a way, Disgaea is more similar to those than Phantom Brave (since it at least shares the basic grid abstraction).

Durante pray that they release Makai Kingdom for the PC if you like Phantom Brave. That game was pretty damned awesome. While this game is great for myself personally preferred Makai Kingdom over it. Game mechanics have some similarities between the two.

pj

Banned
This game cost me $20 when I bought it on release 12 years ago.

The enhancements are nice but I ain't paying that again

Durante

Durante pray that they release Makai Kingdom for the PC if you like Phantom Brave. That game was pretty damned awesome. While this game is great for myself personally preferred Makai Kingdom over it. Game mechanics have some similarities between the two.
I played all N1 SRPGs (except Disgaea 5) already, but I wasn't into Makai Kingdom nearly as much as Phantom Brave.
(My most favourite game from them after Phantom Brave and Disgaea is probably Soul Nomad)

A really, really good tactical rpg.

Binding your party members to the items on the field still provides fascinating risk/reward to manage that no other game has really touched on since (to my knowledge, anyway).
Exactly.

Parakeetman

I played all N1 SRPGs (except Disgaea 5) already, but I wasn't into Makai Kingdom nearly as much as Phantom Brave.
(My second most favourite from them after Disgaea is probably Soul Nomad)

D: we cant be friends lol

Soul Nomad was a pretty damned interesting game as it was something totally different from their other titles. Best memories was getting my ass completely handed to me until I figured out wtf I was doing in the JP release.
Its too bad they never continued with that series.

I kinda wished that NIS was more like their PS2 era as they did make some unique titles thats for sure.

Makai Kingdom was pretty great due to all the "base building" so to speak and weird vehicles / character classes. Plus you could kill things you were not supposed to for your level by making stupid long combo chains with your attacks. Good times. Think its the same for PB also as they both use a similar system pretty much.

Beating enemies to death with a bush never gets old though in this game lol.

Had totally forgot about this release so am glad you made this OT.

Durante

I greatly enjoyed this and the first Disgaea. They were so fresh back then.
Yeah, the difference to me is that this one still feels fresh. I also tried playing Disgaea PC when it was released, but couldn't really get into it. Comparatively, even the demo for Phantom Brave grabbed me a lot more, and I was already planning out my phantoms.

I think the difference is that we had at least 5 iterations on the Disgaea formula in the meantime, and quite a few somewhat similar games, while nothing has really tried to replicate (or expand upon) the gameplay concepts introduced in Phantom Brave.

Parakeetman

Yeah, the difference to me is that this one still feels fresh. I also tried playing Disgaea PC when it was released, but couldn't really get into it. Comparatively, even the demo for Phantom Brave grabbed me a lot more, and I was already planning out my phantoms.

I think the difference is that we had at least 5 iterations on the Disgaea formula in the meantime, and quite a few somewhat similar games, while nothing has really tried to replicate (or expand upon) the gameplay concepts introduced in Phantom Brave.

As mentioned we did get Makai Kingdom which used the confine system also and added some other extra stuff such as building creation that gives bonuses. But outside of those 2 titles yeah they kinda dropped the system for whatever reason. Though in Japan did get the PSP re-release of Makai Kingdom that added a slightly bit more content. Phantom Brave did get released also a bunch of times lol Then again thats nothing really new for NIS with how they seem to like doing that. Kinda wished they did a re-release of Soul Nomad...
---------

Anyone who is more well versed in the company do you know which team was behind Phantom Brave / Makai Kingdom?

--------

Saber Kitties were one of my most used units in this game.
9aOrTml.png

aravuus

Fuck it, bought. Doing a somewhat comprehensive TiTS SC playthrough can get overwhelming at times, so an SRPG should be perfect for the days when I can't get myself to return to Liberl. Like today.

So is the game unlocking in an hour?

Durante

I just made a terrible discovery -- apparently I didn't finish my order of the physical LE. Luckily it's still available in case anyone is interested. I'm getting the items only version since I really can't be bothered to wait for physical delivery of a game code :p

Played through the demo, and it is definitely very interesting. Not sure I like it though. I said the same after Soul Nomad & The World Eaters (another oddball NIS game) but ended up loving it. How is the main story, for those who've beaten the game?

Top Bottom