• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Brave PC |OT| Nippon Ichi's most unique SRPG

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Well, so, I bought this, and have played over an hour now, and I'm not sure I understand battles properly.

For one, I keep running out of moves with my phantoms. Like, with Ash, I wipe the floor with a few enemies, then he despawns. The last two battles in Terra Firma have ended with me just having Marona left, doing ~3hp damage to the few enemies that are left. I feel like I'm missing something here.

I used some of my money to buy some weapons, and equip'd them on peoples. I also created a blacksmith, but don't have anything for him to do yet.

desmax

Well, so, I bought this, and have played over an hour now, and I'm not sure I understand battles properly.

For one, I keep running out of moves with my phantoms. Like, with Ash, I wipe the floor with a few enemies, then he despawns. The last two battles in Terra Firma have ended with me just having Marona left, doing ~3hp damage to the few enemies that are left. I feel like I'm missing something here.

I used some of my money to buy some weapons, and equip'd them on peoples. I also created a blacksmith, but don't have anything for him to do yet.

There's a time limit for how much time a phantom can be confined (I believe it depends on the item you're confining to them). You can see a "Remove: X", where X is the number of turns they can remain.
The optimal choice is to not spawn all of your allies on the first turn.

Oh yeah, you need to go to the medic to recover moves after the battles. There's a limit on how many of a certain type of attack you can use.

Durante

Managing your Phantoms' availability is a huge part of the tactical challenge. You should try to make sure that you have enough available, and that you don't confine more at any point than you can use. Ideally, every turn a Phantom is available they should be able to make a meaningful contribution, so if e.g. they need to spend it running towards some enemy then it would have been better to only summon them later.

Also, equipment makes a huge difference especially in the beginning, try to equip each phantom with an item which boosts their strangths (e.g. Ash with a sword, valkyries with a spear, mages with a book etc.)

Oh yeah, you need to go to the medic to recover moves after the battles. There's a limit on how many of a certain type of attack you can use.
Good point.

AlanOC91

This game is so weird but I'm loving it.

Equipping plants, rocks and trees as potent weapons and leveling these things up...

I have no words.

Also, took me ages to realize skip demo means skip cutscene -_-

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Got it, thanks folks, that makes more sense. I think the biggest issue I was having was dumping everyone I could into battle at the start of it.

I'll keep working at it, because it's a sweet game I can tell already, and I want to see where the plot goes (people being dicks to Marona despite her helping them out, etc)

kswiston

I never beat Phantom Brave. I went into it expecting the same sort of humour/quality that was found in Atlus' localization of the first Disgaea. Instead the story seemee to be aimed at younger children and the localization wasnt nearly as strong.

Fun battle system though.

I had mine wield a mine cart (the weapon with the funniest techs).

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Bwa-ahahahaha! Time for the return of Marona the butcher! Chop-chop!
Kudos to those who can remember/figure out what weapon, I can't remember it for the life of me, it looked like a dagger attached to brass knuckles

AlanOC91

I've been making Marona skip her turns after summoning Phantoms but I think I might actually be better off buying a book and equipping it to her. I feel like I'm losing out on some valuable damage.

Durante

I've been making Marona skip her turns after summoning Phantoms but I think I might actually be better off buying a book and equipping it to her. I feel like I'm losing out on some valuable damage.
Yeah, skipping turns is always a waste. I use her either for casting or healing usually.

Durante

This was pretty quick:
dsc_0066q2li0.png

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Awesome artwork!

I'm having a much better time in the game, now that I know not to summon everyone as soon as round one starts.

I had also been having Marona skip turns, not using her at all, but I'll endeavour to give her an item to at least make her useful.

AlanOC91

Is the resolution not saving for anyone else? After I set to 4k it sticks until I reboot the game and it goes back to some low level default value.

desmax

Is the resolution not saving for anyone else? After I set to 4k it sticks until I reboot the game and it goes back to some low level default value.

That seems to happen to me if I downsample with DSR.

Using a standard resolution it saves fine

AlanOC91

It's saving for me. Are you using fullscreen?

Yep using fullscreen. My native resolution is 3840x2160.

When I set it in game it works fine but when I restart the game it reverts to 1440x900.

EDIT: Ok I did two things and now it saves the settings. Not sure which one fixed it (could have been both).

Firstly, I disabled dpi scaling in the .exe for the game.

Secondly, I switched to 1080p instead in the game, restarted and it saved it. Then moved it to 4k, restarted and it saved it.

Seems to be alright now.

AlanOC91

And another question.

If I run out of money and my party needs healing am I screwed? It hasn't happened but it's a worry. I have a feeling that there are ways to brick your progress like that.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
And another question.

If I run out of money and my party needs healing am I screwed? It hasn't happened but it's a worry. I have a feeling that there are ways to brick your progress like that.

If you're not at the beginning of the game, you should be able to go back to the early levels and earn some money for healing. May take a while, but there should be options at *almost* any point in the game.

Durante

does this include ng+ and other stuff? or it's the bare ps2 version?

About this version

The PC version has the following features:
  • Arbitrary resolution support (I tested it up to 5120x2880)
  • 60 FPS (I haven't checked if it goes higher on a high refresh rate display, but hey, it's a SRPG)
  • ALL the content of every version of the game released previously
  • Dual audio
  • Recreated high-res UI graphics (including fonts and icons -- I wish more late PC ports did this)
  • High-res 2D art (character portraits and backgrounds)
  • Toggle-able sprite filtering
  • Good mouse/KB and controller support, with automatic switching of prompts.

;)

Durante

Someone posted a review of the game on Steam that I like so much that I'll reproduce it here:

Phantom Brave was ahead of its time.

In the PS2 era, it seemed like every RPG (or maybe all genres, actually) needed to go BIGGER. More dramatic, more epic, more serious. Nippon Ichi carved a niche for itself with Disgaea, a silly RPG that tried to be as un-serious as possible. It was more of an episodic anime, full of comedy and parodies. It was in the right place at the right time, and got a lot of attention.

However, Phantom Brave took a riskier path. It was a "serious" story, yet instead of a fantasy epic, it aimed to be a gentle slice-of-life. You're not the center of the universe, but just a person in a tropical archipelago filled with strange and diverse characters. The story is about the orphan girl Marona, innocent and naive, watched over by her jaded phantom bodyguard, Ash. She tries to make her own way through the world, but her optimism clashes when it comes up against reality's cynicism and prejudices. This kind of character-driven story was very rare in games at the time, but is something that's become much more accepted in the past few years.

The gameplay system is also far ahead its time, though it may be still too advanced for us in 2016. There's a lot more freedom in this compared to the usual tactical RPG map battle. For one thing, you can free-roam instead of moving within a square grid. I like it better this way, but I have to admit it's a little clunkier just trying to move where you want. And there's more.... Confining phantoms to objects such as trees and rocks, which give different stat bonuses, yet they only last a limited number of turns in battle, so you have to pace yourself depending on the map. There's so much to keep track of. Yet there's no short-term pleasures like the team-attacks in Disgaea, it's all about the long-term strategy in each battle.

Same for outside of battle, you're given incredible freedom to customize and build your characters; even your ITEMS gain their own levels and new skills. You can even fuse characters/items together to break past the old limits of their potential. It's not a regular RPG where you grind for a linear increase in power, but you use your brain and tinker with multiple systems to gain *exponential* boosts in power. The max level is 9999 for a good reason, not just to extend playtime. Yet this can be very overwhelming to a new player, as unlike Disgaea there's very little indication of what's effective RIGHT NOW, just hints of how godlike you can become later after you've "cracked the code." I don't recommend this at all for people who want a comfortable casual time, and to be honest it's too much even for me sometimes. I enjoy this kind of abstract stat manipulation stuff, yet this game was aimed at someone *even more hardcore* than me.

It's strange how such an accessible heartwarming story was fused with an inaccessible challenging game. It's definitely not for everyone (if you don't like complicated RPGs you might want to watch a LetsPlay instead). But it's bold and unique, and I love it anyway.
I haven't really talked about the game's story much in this thread, but I think the reviewer nails it.

AlanOC91

Someone posted a review of the game on Steam that I like so much that I'll reproduce it here:

I haven't really talked about the game's story much in this thread, but I think the reviewer nails it.

Excellent review.

I've been getting more hooked on it every time I play it. I feel like every time I turn the game on I'm learning something new about it. Very satisfying.

Durante

i played way too much the past three days

i fear for when makai kingdom drops
I didn't even expect to play the game much (I usually never replay games, and I have a ton of other stuff I should play), but when I think about starting anything else I always end up playing Phantom Brave instead.

I didn't even expect to play the game much (I usually never replay games, and I have a ton of other stuff I should play), but when I think about starting anything else I always end up playing Phantom Brave instead.

yea, i didn't either, just wanted to start it up to see how everything looks and then . . . some hours later "wait, what time is it?"

Hyoukokun

Bought this on a whim and have been enjoying the heck out of it. The plot so far is simply told but more endearing than other RPGs I've played recently, and the combat system (while occasionally clunky) is the best I can remember since Dragon Quarter.

Minor gripe - I wish they explained the title system a bit better - I'd been mostly ignoring it (save the titles that you can get from completing random dungeons) until midway through part 2 and have only recently realized that you can steal titles from items to grant to other characters (or items) by having Marona banish them.

The random dungeons are super fun, and surprisingly, I don't think I've run into anything completely outside of my ability to deal with it. I've lost three or four hours after getting stranded with a dead Dungeon Monk, but I can't get too mad; it's my own fault for not leveling the guy and then relying on him with boss monsters bearing down on the team.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
After reading up on this game I just added it to my steam wishlist. It looks HELLA good! Can't wait to play it. Did you guys ever come to a conclusion as to which game is better between Phantom Brave and Disgaea 1?

Also, after reading up on Makai Kingdom I can't believe NIS hasn't announced a PC port of that awesome looking game yet. Any rumors/updates on that front?

Top Bottom